Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

I thought the ending was perfect. I get what you are trying to say, but you're seeing it wrong. His goal was to create a world where Nunally could live a good life. That doesn't require him to be alive in that world. He has already accepted his death since his original plan (kill father, take over as Zero w/ Black Knights) got hosed, so instead he creates a personal ultimatum. He will become the perfect villain in order to contsruct the perfect hero, someone who will win over everyone and bring the empire together. He accomplished exactly what he wanted to all along.

Yeah, I get all of this -- I didn't mean it entirely dismissively when I said "for the sake of drama," because I like drama and Code Geass thrives on it -- I just think that a lot of the particulars are clumsily handled and detract from the strength of the message. Lelouch's perfect plan repeats his and Nunally's childhood trauma of watching their mother die, and of all people he hands the reins of "the perfect hero" off to Suzaku, the ultimate hypocrite and turncoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Kingnothing posted:

You also can't talk about death note simultaneously being the best thing you've ever seen and "parts are good cheesy fun but the rest is crap" on the same page of a thread.
You are confusing me with someone else.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There are similarities between the 2 events, but also fundamental differences. Her mother was an innocent that was brutally murdered and (as far as her fake memories tell her) she had to watch it happen and had her mother's lifeless corpse pin her on the stairs. To her, there was no logic to this crime. It was a cruel and evil act.

In the ending, Lelouch was an evil dictator killed by a hero that swoops in at the last minute to save the day. There is reason and justice to be found in such an act, despite how extreme it was. And on top of that, she has a deus ex machina moment and is shown the truth of what Lelouch accomplished with his death. It was something she could come to accept given time, which she did.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

And on top of that, she has a deus ex machina moment and is shown the truth of what Lelouch accomplished with his death. It was something she could come to accept given time, which she did.

Maybe I owe the show a rewatch, I don't remember this at all.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

And on top of that, she has a deus ex machina moment and is shown the truth of what Lelouch accomplished with his death.

Actually, that ability does have precedent in the series. CC was shown to be able to share memories through contact in the first season. So you could argue that Lelouch put Nunanally there specifically for that purpose.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 10, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Actually, that ability does have precedent in the series. CC was shown to be able to share memories through contact in the first season. So you could argue that Lelouch put Nunanally there specifically for that purpose.

But Lelouch never really became what CC became, that is an immortal being that can hand out Grass powers. It's a stretch but a plausible one.

E: This is starting to become a derail for a recommendation thread. I guess I'll end the derail with a recomendation for anyone with an interest with a large scale drama.involving lots of moving parts and one of the best and moat memorable anti-hero protagonists. Sort of like a space opera but not in space.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 10, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

What's with people not liking Code Geass? That's hands down one of my favorite shows of all time, and honestly it has some of the best plot writing I've ever seen.

I;m not sure what you didn't like about the first episode because I thought it was a fantastic introduction to Lelouch, his Geass, and the setting.

I love geass, season 1 and 2. It's great. I think people are too critical.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked both seasons of Code Geass as well, although I admit I was less mature when I watched it; I'm not sure how well it would hold up on a rewatch. R2 definitely had some flaws, though. I think it became too focused on rather nonsensical metaphysics that were shoehorned into the setting. Also, I think the way some of the characters react to FLEIJA is a bit off; it feels like Suzaku was the only one really shocked by the scale of the loss of life. Something in Star Trek 2009 bothered me for similar reasons: When a planet with billions of people is blown up, Spock is "emotionally compromised" (because it's his planet), and Uhara is sad because Spock is sad, and Bones is angry because Spock isn't showing his sadness enough, but nobody else seems appropriately shocked.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 11, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
No doubt the FLEIJA reveal could have been done better.

e:

Silver2195 posted:

...and Bones is angry because Spock isn't showing his sadness enough, but nobody else seems appropriately shocked.

gently caress Bones sensationalism forever. It worked out well for E7 because it was that type of show, but it killed FMA for me and AO was pure poo poo because of it despite having so much promise.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 11, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Goro Taneguchi is a great director, so whenever he puts out something that I think is bad I just go "wow, he must've had a total shitpile handed to him"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

No doubt the FLEIJA reveal could have been done better.

e:

gently caress Bones sensationalism forever. It worked out well for E7 because it was that type of show, but it killed FMA for me and AO was pure poo poo because of it despite having so much promise.

As resident backwards man I only liked the wife and husband pair in the original E7 and I liked AO a lot, also the made up end to FMA. Gimme dem Bones.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, AO would have been way better if it weren't for McCoy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

As resident backwards man I only liked the wife and husband pair in the original E7 and I liked AO a lot, also the made up end to FMA. Gimme dem Bones.

I liked the made-up end to FMA too. Except Cyborg Archer; that part was stupid.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I liked that too. He was such a non character in the original that having him show up all crazy town was awesome.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Can someone recommend something along the vein of Gasaraki or any other more realistic-styled robots? I don't like Flag and I've seen VOTOMS, so the Takahashi well is basically dried up for me at this point.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I don't think you're ever going to find a show as "realistic" as Gasaraki. The amount of thought that went into "if you were going to make a military power armor how would you go about it" for the TA's is pretty unprecedented in anime and in everything else for that matter but...

Read Appleseed. If you like AT's and TA's from Votoms and Gasaraki you'll like Landmates. Plus it's probably one of my favorite manga.

There's Blue Gender, another Takahashi show, which I liked well enough but a lot people didn't. Mostly because there's big chunk of the show that has absolutely no budget. The mecha in it are drat cool though.

There's this one shot OVA called Dead Heat about racing what is basically a motorcycle on legs with arms. Think Rideback with out transformation part, the stupid poorly thought out political stuff and it being from the 80s. It's not that great but some of the race scenes are fun. Might as well try Rideback too.

Another one shot called Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 about this guy who finds a prototype power armor/mecha that fell of the back of a truck and accidentally activates it trapping him inside. Having a date with his girlfriend across town that night he has to make his way through the city in the 12 foot robot suit all while the military is trying to get the thing back. It's funny and there's a ton of super detailed mechanical animation.

Innocent Venus a show from 2006 about two special forces soldiers who take a young girl under their protection instead of kidnapping her for the government that for whatever reason wants her captured. The Big Problem with it is the robots are CG and they look like warmed over poo poo. The action is really well choreographed in both 2D and CG so I'd like to say that makes up for if but it doesn't really. Only watch if you can take lovely CG.

There's also a few shows that while not really what you want would probably be a good idea to watch. Two of them Takahashi.

The first is Fang of the Sun Dougram. It's kind of the missing link between Gundam and Votoms. Dougram is about the son of a rich earth family who joins a guerrilla terrorist group after seeing the wrongs committed against the colony planet Deloyer by the Earth Government. The action is a bit more Gundam than Votoms but there's a lot of focus on politics and class.

Then there's SPT Layzner which probably has the best directed mecha action Sunrise made in the 80s and considering some of the shows they made then that's saying something. It's about a young alien named Eiji who is trying to warn humanity about his peoples planned invasion. Only he's pursued and in the crossfire both the US and Soviet Mars bases are destroyed. Having no one left to contact on Mars; Eiji and the survivors have to fight their way back to earth.

Lastly Round Vernian Vifam. It's about a group of 13 children who surviving an alien attack on the planet colony where they lived are forced to pilot a ship home to Earth themselves after having the all but one of the adults die in raids by the aliens. Vifam is one of those rare shows in the 80s that tried to be entertainment first and toy commercial second, they don't even get to the robots for the first six or so episodes and the show is better for it. Once the ball gets rolling though there's a lot of good action and surprisingly the mostly child cast isn't a negative. None of them are annoying, they stand out as individuals and they make for decent characters to watch. drat near the opposite of most every child cast in anime.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are a bunch of good recommendations, thanks. I'm not a fan of Shirow, but when other people adapt his work I generally like it. I didn't know Blue Gender was Takahashi, and I've been meaning to get around to Dougram and MADOX.

hello i am vifam

edit: for what it's worth I'm not too worried about realism, just things that shy away from Video Game SciFi and a little closer to SciFI, I realize Gasaraki isn't a great example. Another show I enjoyed recently was Texhnolyze, and it shared a similar atmosphere to Ergo Proxy that I really enjoy. Anything somewhat dark without going into super edgy territory and science fictionish would be nice.

muike fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 12, 2013

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

muike posted:

edit: for what it's worth I'm not too worried about realism, just things that shy away from Video Game SciFi and a little closer to SciFI, I realize Gasaraki isn't a great example. Another show I enjoyed recently was Texhnolyze, and it shared a similar atmosphere to Ergo Proxy that I really enjoy. Anything somewhat dark without going into super edgy territory and science fictionish would be nice.
LoGH, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Miniskirt Space Pirates are all very good. But they are rather bright shows.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On a scale of 1-10, how realistic would you say the Tachikoma from GITS:SAC are? Mechanically speaking, not necessarily AI-wise or anything.

Not recommending anything, just curious.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Is there anything out there quite like english dub of Cromartie High School? Ridiculous and consistently hilarious?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chocobo posted:

Is there anything out there quite like english dub of Cromartie High School? Ridiculous and consistently hilarious?

The english dub of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how realistic would you say the Tachikoma from GITS:SAC are? Mechanically speaking, not necessarily AI-wise or anything.

In mechanical design terms a lot of their viability would depend on what fancy future materials would be available in whatever year GITS is set in. I've always been a fan of their design and think that they're a lot more plausible looking than any bipedal robot I've seen - this includes the robots in VOTOMS. The four wheeled legs would provide enough stability for the body and they seem to articulate well for suspension, though something that always bugged me about them was that the wheels seem too small to generate enough power to make the tachikomas speed around like they do. Again, could be future materials. I'd buy that before I'd buy bipedal robots with jetpacks. Their big backpack/power source/whatever it is looks like it could present balance issues, though I think the weight distribution would be fine with the legs compensating when a human isn't riding in the front. :spergin:

I've banged on about this before, but I love how they perfectly fit as friendly looking police robots. They're potentially deadly as gently caress, yet they don't really look it. You could see a tachikoma rescuing a child from rubble just as easily as a tachikoma blowing a cyborg away with a cannon.

I love tachikomas.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Who doesn't love the Tachikomas? They're so adorable and badass.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

ViggyNash posted:

Is Oreimo worth the watch? I watched a couple episodes and while it seems well written and has decent art and animation, the premise is a bit hard to deal with. Does the whole shameful otaku beauty pervade the rest of the show or does it change later on?

Before season two I would have said yes, it's probably not a waste of your time. The shameful otaku bit isn't really the focus (in terms of screentime) with the show, and while it's definitely important, it's not as heavily featured throughout as the first episodes are. The problem is with the obvious relationship that develops. Season one is fairly tame in that regard, but the new season definitely is not heading in a good direction. It's a real shame, as there seems to be talent behind the scenes, and there are good parts to the show. It's not a crazy unwatchable mess (yet), but you'll probably be disappointed knowing that the elements that make the show bad are the same that make up the core of the show and drive sales.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was going to watch Oreimo as apparently goons claimed that it was a Good Show despite its Unfortunate Title.
Shame that it doesn't get sales unless they follow that otaku-pandering retread.

I was hoping for something slice-of-life and :unsmith:/:3: but if season 2 is going to bring on the awkward romance angle, I'm not gonna bother.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Considering the lead voice actress (allegedly?) said she didn't want to voice the character anymore due to how creepily the LN series ended you should probably just stay away from it period.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SSNeoman posted:

I was going to watch Oreimo as apparently goons claimed that it was a Good Show despite its Unfortunate Title.
Shame that it doesn't get sales unless they follow that otaku-pandering retread.

I was hoping for something slice-of-life and :unsmith:/:3: but if season 2 is going to bring on the awkward romance angle, I'm not gonna bother.
It never was good. It has some ideas and elements that could have made a good show great, and that get explored much to little. But the base show here is pretty bad. And it goes downhill after the first half. And the second season might be the worst anime ever.

Pet of Sakurasou or Oresura recently are in the same category, if you found them worth watching you will think the same of Oreimo.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

tonberrytoby posted:

It never was good. It has some ideas and elements that could have made a good show great, and that get explored much to little.

Yeah. I watched the first season, and I can say that while it was better than the concept made it out to be, it wasn't good. I didn't feel like watching the second season, even before hearing about how it just got worse.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Captain Invictus posted:

Realistic enough!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Pretty realistic, it turns out.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a good "We use magic, magic owns" anime. I'd prefer the MC not be loser or super special non-magic user, but those are fine, too. It can be action, romance, comedy or whatever. As long as it has magic and magic using people doing things that are awesome.

Edit: Just not Fairy Tail.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Having you checked out the Young Witch Academia movie(OVA?)?

It's ridiculously good. It's basically a short anime harry potter, and it is GORGEOUS. I'm pretty sure it was done by a bunch of Gainax folk who bailed (studio tiger I think?)

Speaking of, what the gently caress has gainax been up to recently?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Looking for a good "We use magic, magic owns" anime. I'd prefer the MC not be loser or super special non-magic user, but those are fine, too. It can be action, romance, comedy or whatever. As long as it has magic and magic using people doing things that are awesome.

Edit: Just not Fairy Tail.

First thing that comes to mind is Slayers. It's about powerful young sorceress named Lina Inverse with a temperament that has her dropping the magical equivalent of a MOAB on people who slight her. Hasn't aged super well but it's not horrible or anything. Cardcaptor Sakura would work it's got magic people doing magic stuff. Great production but it's Clamp so there's stuff that can be a bit off putting about some of the side character's relationships if you sit down and think about them. Might want to check out this season's The Devil is a Part-Timer.

DamnGlitch posted:

Speaking of, what the gently caress has gainax been up to recently?
Hemorrhaging talent mostly. They're doing some airsoft club cute girls doing cute things show this summer, which is normal for Gainax to do a few adaptations to pay the bills, and apparently going forward with making Blue Uru a movie they've been talking about since the early 90s. Who knows when or if they're going to something original again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

studio tiger I think?

Trigger, not Tiger.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

Having you checked out the Young Witch Academia movie(OVA?)?

It's ridiculously good. It's basically a short anime harry potter, and it is GORGEOUS. I'm pretty sure it was done by a bunch of Gainax folk who bailed (studio tiger I think?)

Anti-Harry Potter, really.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can someone recommend me a random thing? I'm not sure what I want to watch right now since I've watched most of the shows I've been interested in.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone recommend me a random thing? I'm not sure what I want to watch right now since I've watched most of the shows I've been interested in.

Nichijou is very random.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Le Chevalier D'Eon. It's the French revolutionary war, with alchemical zombies.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I feel like I need to try something new and different.

My preferences lean towards comedies, although drama is also good (ToraDora! sits as one of the better animes I've watched that combines the two.)

Generally like to stay away from anything TOO heavy (So no, I won't watch School Days) although I did find myself enjoying Angel Beats since the heavy was well written and mixed in with the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

ViggyNash posted:

Tsuritama and Humanity Has Declined are my go-to recommendations now. That and Inferno Cop.

Conot posted:

My preferences lean towards comedies
Daily Lives of High School Boys pronto unless you've seen it.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 15, 2013

• Locked thread