Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Improvisational jazz: it's the words you don't read that are most important.

I agree plot and taste are important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I just got to the part of Sophia's intellectual thread for smart geniuses where the Mensa grad students of posting are suggesting that Jon Snow being shot in the leg with an arrow is a reference to Skyrim.

I can't possibly muster an exasperated sigh deep enough to express how much I hate video game people.

From the same people who thought "Battle of Wounded Knee" in Bioshock infinite was another Skyrim reference.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

pentyne posted:

From the same people who thought "Battle of Wounded Knee" in Bioshock infinite was another Skyrim reference.

Is the Bioshock referencing Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee? Because books... :supaburn:

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Is the Bioshock referencing Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee? Because books... :supaburn:

It's ok HBO made a movie about it.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

600 new posts? Surely a release date for Winds of Winter ha...

Oh I give up. :(

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Just winds of when's it coming out?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Words are wind, and you know what else has words? BOOKS. Books are bad.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Oh gently caress me, the cornfield thread. How do these people manage to remember to breath?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

rejutka posted:

Oh gently caress me, the cornfield thread. How do these people manage to remember to breath?

Same way they remember when to use the bathroom: commercial breaks.

(NOTE: Anoxia causes brain damage, do not attempt to only breath during commercials)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Do you feel an itch, bad thread?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shoehead posted:

It's an open of Shitdicksmass in summer!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shoehead posted:

This is my exact face when reading the something awful dot com forums.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Oh poo poo that fan rap is the best thing I've seen whitey mcnerdfans ever do.

Fog Tripper posted:

No, it's about the actual Wounded Knee massacre. That teenagers thought was a Skyrim reference because the event wasn't insanely specified in the game story or anything.

quote:

How do these people manage to remember to breath?
Man I do not even know. So many people confused about Theon, Davos, etc.

You know what isn't confusing and is pretty masterfully laid out plotwise so that you always know what is going on? The bo:shepicide:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Some IGN Article posted:

As a failsafe, Martin did tell Weiss and Benioff his overall plan for the story, but has also expressed that he'd be displeased if the show went on ahead of the books. "I don't think I'd be happy with that," Martin told EW.

Martin, citing the Spartacus prequel series Gods of the Arena, thinks that HBO can stall with prequel seasons of Game of Thrones or an adaptation of his Hedge Knight books, which take place in Westeros.

Things are going to get messy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'd watch the poo poo out of a season that's nothing but Robert's Rebellion or Dunk and Egg.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

canuckanese posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of a season that's nothing but Robert's Rebellion or Dunk and Egg.

But can you imagine the shitstorm from the actors? Stalling for years, the children will all be visibly older in ways they can't just ignore or handwave away. Isaac Hempstead-Wright is already too big for Hodor to carry, gently caress.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I usually agree with (Scottish musician) Aidan Moffat, but...

Aidan Moffat posted:

How can I be expected to wait a year for more Game Of Thrones? I'm not reading the books, that's like reading lyrics before hearing a song.

Your imagination is the song, dummy.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Things are going to get messy.

Is he really comparing an actor's death with his incompetence in writing?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Hunky Joe posted:

Is he really comparing an actor's death with his incompetence in writing?

He seems to be under the misapprehension that HBO give the remotest gently caress about his writing schedule.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

canuckanese posted:

It always seemed Robert's Rebellion was a lot more interesting than the story we were reading...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

^^^ It is literally a drunken country boy slugging the city college frat boy and screaming "git yer paws offa mah wummin, ysonuvabitch!" in the middle of a bar's dance floor, while Ke$ha plays over the stereo.

I usually agree with (Scottish musician) Aidan Moffat, but...

Your imagination is the song, dummy.

At least he acknowledges there's lyrics on the liner, that's a step up from the transcendant minds in the Worst Thread who would demand you be banned for merely suggesting the disc comes in a case at all!

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 11, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I figured how why the gurm isn't writing. He's a show watcher.

He doesn't want to spoil himself :psyduck:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

rejutka posted:

He seems to be under the misapprehension that HBO give the remotest gently caress about his writing schedule.

Not just that but we're a solid 2-3 years into the show, so if he's only realizing now that he could self-destruct his own legacy then he is even GRRM-ier than we thought.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I await a sticker on The Winds of Winter*: AS SEEN ON THE LAST SEASON OF GAME OF THRONES FROM HBO

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYnjTCtloJg

:allears: Lookit that, people thinkin' Dany's actually gonna anything.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

canuckanese posted:

You just want to watch Robert Make The Eight :colbert:

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

They can't do Robert's Rebellion. No man is beautiful enough to capture Rhaegar.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

rejutka posted:

And willfully ignorant of the fact that scheduling an entire TV show is much more difficult than scheduling one dude sitting down to write now and then. I could see some serious friction in the coming years. Good thing GRRM is coated in a layer of grease!

So, which useless book 4/5 subplot will be the first to go? I can see Quentyn being left out entirely.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

And willfully ignorant of the fact that scheduling an entire TV show is much more difficult than scheduling one dude sitting down to write now and then. I could see some serious friction in the coming years. Good thing GRRM is coated in a layer of grease!

So, which useless book 4/5 subplot will be the first to go? I can see Quentyn being left out entirely.

As it should be

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

The Riddle of Feel posted:

They can't do Robert's Rebellion. No man is beautiful enough to capture Rhaegar.

Just needs some bleach yo.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Why can't I stop looking at that man?

Oh my God does he actually have purple eyes?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Why can't I stop looking at that man?

Oh my God does he actually have purple eyes?

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/m...v-1226654931463

Yes No

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So, as someone who marathoned the series all at once, I like ADWD. Y'all seem almost as spergy as the Worst Thread sometimes except you're way more bitter. :(

I mean, not that bad, but if you squint really hard.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So, as someone who marathoned the series all at once, I like ADWD. Y'all seem almost as spergy as the Worst Thread sometimes except you're way more bitter. :(

The old school readers had to wait years between books. I started reading after watching S1E10 (whoops I'm a dumb idiot thanks for the free to watch weekend, HBO) based on goons posting numerous :black101: gifs and decided I needed to read the books in the interim until Quahgreay was dead as a doornail, and finished those slightly before ADWD was released, so I'm one of the lucky ones. I didn't even really get pissed at Dany's dumb "arc" because I enjoyed other parts of the books.

Love the hell out of the show though, and looking forward to all of the problems in the books being loving steamrolled over by the show writers. GRRM has to do at least one ep. a season just to keep the old flavor (bile) coming up though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

As it stands, this book series end on a graphic description of one of the heroine naked in a desert liquid making GBS threads all over herself.

I'm sorry what was your point?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

The full retard doesn't fall far from the tree in tviv.

To be fair, I felt a little uncomfortable myself. And to be fair to that, I felt that reading the continuing adventures of Khaleesi, Brown Savior.

Just finished the series! It was incredibly unsatisfying! Oh, its all merging. The feeling of increasing internal shits at the mention of this damned series. Its all downhill from here. They think they're disappointed NOW....

Its the singucrapity my friends

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

nuncle jimbo posted:

I agree plot and taste are important

Truth. GRRM is not only shattering the fantasy mold, but the entire publishing industry. He has prepared for those with ears that hear to not rely on trivialities like "paper" and "words". Upon the appointed date, fans will take their places in Barnes and Noble cafes and sit in quiet reflection as the wonder of Westeros unfolds in their imaginations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
At least the show will provide some kind of resolution. I fully expect GRRM to drop dead on-stage at FantasyCon 2018 shortly after admitting he's only 2/3 of the way through WoW.

Nothus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 11, 2013

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Those 2/3 only comes to a total of 50 pages, since he had already decided to split the book into three more.

And to those people above who talk about liking ADWD after eye-cramming it in a couple of fitful nights like a starving man, in the vain hope of getting enough protein to ward off death's creep for another day, chugs a tub full of margarine and newspaper paste, I say thee nay. Its a terrible world where something needs more pages than Proust's In Search of Time, a seven volume saga, and loving War and Peace to get some kind of climax, only to fail hilariously in sprouts of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Shageletic posted:

Those 2/3 only comes to a total of 50 pages, since he had already decided to split the book into three more.

So it's like Zeno's dichotomy paradox? GRRM splits book 6 into two smaller books, but splits those into even smaller books, until he sees an infinite number of books between now and the supposed end of WoW. He then concludes it is impossible and opens a movie theater.