From: <BPreiss@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Sorry to bother you.
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 8:08 PM
there is no treasure in central park

BJG fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 10, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

Emacs Headroom posted:

It's "him of Hard word" with Hard capitalized and singular. I'm pretty sure that must mean something (my pet theory is still that's it's Rockefeller, rocks being hard and Rockefeller being someone the natives still speak of)

I like this theory. I read the relevant portion of the verse as "Although the sign nearby speaks of the indigenous people of the region, the modern NYC "natives" speak of Rockefeller instead."

I read "3 Vols." as meaning John D. Rockefeller, John D. Rockefeller Jr., and John D. Rockefeller III. There is a fourth John D. (who has sons fifth and sixth) but he didn't have the relevance to NYC that the first three did.

From the verse, I'd be looking for signs / sculptures in Central Park that relate to the original Native American inhabitants of the island, near one of the through-roads through the park, maybe near the carousel (whirring sound in summer?).

Edit: ^ Oh. Well there's lots of parks in NYC and lots of historical signs and sculptures.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Actually, if you could snap a few photos of the area, that would be great! Specifically, the area around the Atropos Key and the Garden Center fountain.

I might do that sometimes this week if I get a long break. Of course those are on the other side of the park from where I boarder it, so it's a bit of a walk and would require more time than I usually have. I will definitely do it if I work a day this weekend. It would be good for me to see the park anyway.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Merlot Brougham posted:

Montreal

Such as the Boer War statue.

Has anyone considered comparing the horse's legs on the Boer War statue to the guy's fingers in the image?

god drat how did I miss that connection.
read the wikipedia page (can somebody copy paste for me im on my phone) the section on the five memorials forming a cross? (go to the boer war memorial page)
can somebody google earth the memorials and form a cross for us? and more importantly, where do the five memorials intersect (ie the middle of the cross)?

also bad news, tons of renos in 2009 in this park where they uprooted everything...so if by magic the cask was here, the odds of it surviving the renos are super low :(

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Milwaukee

Maybe I'm just reaching here but can anyone see this sculpture..

..in the hair of the girl?

The sculpture is called Laureate, and it is on the Riverwalk by the PAC.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Drunkboxer posted:

I might do that sometimes this week if I get a long break. Of course those are on the other side of the park from where I boarder it, so it's a bit of a walk and would require more time than I usually have. I will definitely do it if I work a day this weekend. It would be good for me to see the park anyway.

Unfortunately, that's the most "interesting" area for the hunt.

It seems like the woods near the Parkland Cafe / Train station and the Memorial Gardens are the two most likely areas. I'd be interested if you can find anything in those areas that look like anything in the picture, and anything that might fit the following lines:

In the sky the water veers

In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight

Our strongest tower of delight

There's the spout!

In particular, I'm curious about Bolivar's bust on the north side of the Memorial Gardens. It's one of the few things in the park that mentions December, and I think it could be in the center of four alike or maybe a part of four alike.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
NYC

Image turned 90 degrees counter clockwise. Below her right arm...I can't unsee the "5". I checked other areas and it doesn't seem to be a standard printing glitch.

E: Taken from the hi-res scan.

Viking Blood fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 10, 2013

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Fatz posted:

CASK 12 (NYC)

The dots within the arches at the top of the picture remind me so much of the vision tests I have to take every year. I think there's numbers in the one on the left, but I can't quite make it out. Maybe one is the color filter for another?

They look like this to me: (example from google)

I see the number 10 pretty clearly on the colored image, it's mostly green or green shaded dots.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Bankok posted:

I see the number 10 pretty clearly on the colored image, it's mostly green or green shaded dots.

Most people do. But if you were colorblind, you'd see something more like the greyscale version. He's saying those dots remind him of these patterns.

stab posted:

can somebody google earth the memorials and form a cross for us? and more importantly, where do the five memorials intersect (ie the middle of the cross)?
Sadly, the sat photos are of such low resolution that you can't see the memorials. However, it would appear that the Boer Memorial is the "middle" of the cross.

einTier fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 11, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

einTier posted:

Unfortunately, that's the most "interesting" area for the hunt.

It seems like the woods near the Parkland Cafe / Train station and the Memorial Gardens are the two most likely areas. I'd be interested if you can find anything in those areas that look like anything in the picture, and anything that might fit the following lines:

In the sky the water veers

In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight

Our strongest tower of delight

There's the spout!

In particular, I'm curious about Bolivar's bust on the north side of the Memorial Gardens. It's one of the few things in the park that mentions December, and I think it could be in the center of four alike or maybe a part of four alike.

Also these two lines:

Through the wood
No lion fears

I feel as though we're missing something with these lines. Like a historical/literary reference or something.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

NYC

Image turned 90 degrees counter clockwise. Below her right arm...I can't unsee the "5". I checked other areas and it doesn't seem to be a standard printing glitch.

E: Taken from the hi-res scan.

I've noticed that, too. That pleat ends rather strangely. I'm not sure it's a 5 (although I can see it), but something's up with it. The cuff around her left hand is odd, too:

It seems like he just blobbed some paint there to cover something up without adding any hems or pleats or other structure to it. The rest of the garment is fairly detailed, and this seems out of place.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Through the wood
No lion fears

If it's a reference, I'd guess it's to The Wizard of Oz.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

TipsyMc posted:

Milwaukee

Maybe I'm just reaching here but can anyone see this sculpture..

..in the hair of the girl?

The sculpture is called Laureate, and it is on the Riverwalk by the PAC.

Did you check the date it was placed? Might be a clue. All that being said, I don't know if any of you other MKE goons are mapping this stuff like me but, I'm all over the place with clues and barely more than two ever fit in one area.

I'm also a little perturbed by the fact that our painting has so much deadspace. I feel like I am just one clue from actually pinning down a good start or dig spot. And that pattern in the cloak has been bugging me like crazy. If it truly is a tree it could be either long gone or very different now.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

crashdome posted:

Did you check the date it was placed? Might be a clue. All that being said, I don't know if any of you other MKE goons are mapping this stuff like me but, I'm all over the place with clues and barely more than two ever fit in one area.

1969: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureate_(Lipton)

if wishes were knishes
Mar 5, 2006

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif

crashdome posted:

Did you check the date it was placed? Might be a clue. All that being said, I don't know if any of you other MKE goons are mapping this stuff like me but, I'm all over the place with clues and barely more than two ever fit in one area.

I'm also a little perturbed by the fact that our painting has so much deadspace. I feel like I am just one clue from actually pinning down a good start or dig spot. And that pattern in the cloak has been bugging me like crazy. If it truly is a tree it could be either long gone or very different now.

1969

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureate_(Lipton)

I have to say, it does look similar.

Edit: Egh, beaten.

I'll be heading down to Milwaukee this weekend to take some pictures if anybody is interested in meeting up.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar

crashdome posted:

Did you check the date it was placed? Might be a clue. All that being said, I don't know if any of you other MKE goons are mapping this stuff like me but, I'm all over the place with clues and barely more than two ever fit in one area.

I'm also a little perturbed by the fact that our painting has so much deadspace. I feel like I am just one clue from actually pinning down a good start or dig spot. And that pattern in the cloak has been bugging me like crazy. If it truly is a tree it could be either long gone or very different now.

It was placed there in 1969. Yeah..I am all over the city with the clues, too. The cloak has got to be a tree, but I don't see anything that really sticks out to make it significant, at this point anyway. I tried to find alternate pictures of the sculpture to see what it looks like from different angles, but couldn't find any.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Montreal

Here's the simple answer:

In the image, the guy's finger is pointing directly to the legeater, which is a horse leg.

The Boer War statue is the only equestrian statue in the city of Montreal.

The horse's leg on the Boer War statue points to the place on the ground where the cask is buried.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Montreal

stab posted:

god drat how did I miss that connection.
read the wikipedia page (can somebody copy paste for me im on my phone) the section on the five memorials forming a cross? (go to the boer war memorial page)
can somebody google earth the memorials and form a cross for us? and more importantly, where do the five memorials intersect (ie the middle of the cross)?

also bad news, tons of renos in 2009 in this park where they uprooted everything...so if by magic the cask was here, the odds of it surviving the renos are super low :(

I'm really beginning to lean more to the cask being at the foot (or near) the Victoria Monument in Victoria Square. Has that changed at all since the early 80s? It's pretty close by and you can definitely read "giant step" and "giant pole" into her statue! Also, I'm having a hard time finding decent pictures but it looks like her hands might match the ones in the puzzle-picture! So with Verse 7 we start in Dorchester Square/Place du Canada, go to St. Patrick's Basilica and end up in Victoria Square.

Coincidentally, it's been mentioned that the solved puzzles had the names of nearby streets hidden in the pictures. The lapel has P, X, and 7. If you flipped it upside down you can get B (lower case), X and V. Beaver Hall Rd and Viger Ave. intersect (X) right at Victoria Square!

Furthermore, while I think that we've only tied 67 to the 1967 Expo, 1867 is also an important date. Apparently, this is when the Dominion was formed and that was one of the steps in Canada's road to independence. That ties Dominion Square (Dorchester Square and Place du Canada, ya?) with Victoria Square, too, since she was queen at the time!

Very exciting! When I get home tonight I'll try to see if I can find some decent images of Victoria's statue to try and figure out how her fingers are actually positioned compared to the puzzle-pic.

Guuse fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 11, 2013

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

einTier posted:

Unfortunately, that's the most "interesting" area for the hunt.

It seems like the woods near the Parkland Cafe / Train station and the Memorial Gardens are the two most likely areas. I'd be interested if you can find anything in those areas that look like anything in the picture, and anything that might fit the following lines:

In the sky the water veers

In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight

Our strongest tower of delight

There's the spout!

In particular, I'm curious about Bolivar's bust on the north side of the Memorial Gardens. It's one of the few things in the park that mentions December, and I think it could be in the center of four alike or maybe a part of four alike.

Alright. I'll see if I can walk out that way this Saturday. Probably won't be able to do it during a week day, it seems like it might involve more meandering than I have time for.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps
I had to go into work way early this morning and had enough time between my train arrival and my meeting time to go the Chicago site for a quick visit.

Beethoven and Mozart are still there as are the other sculptures I didn't get a chance to hunt down:

But the best clue to the exact burial spot (the fence) is gone:

it was buried in this area

45 Degrees
Mar 3, 2007
I scanned in the first section of the book and uploaded the pages to a Flickr account. http://www.flickr.com/photos/45degreesSA

Let me know if I need to fix anything. I'll be working on scanning a couple more pages but the majority of the book seems unrelated.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Guuse posted:

Montreal

[...]

I previously tied 67 to the Dominion of Canada, its how we started talking about that square.

If we're going with the giant pole theory its more likely imo that that would refer to Nelson's monument since its a giant column. Also her hands don't look anything like the guy in Cask 9's photo.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
For the sake of the thread, I went out and got wet today at the Greek gardens. I took some pictures as well.

I did a post with all the pictures and captions, but gently caress picasa, it won't work with SA. So check out the album, even if you don't like clicking away from the thread. I tried to put it here, I really did.

Whole album can be found at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/rebecca.b.johnston/TheSecret?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I was going to take pictures of the lion fountain in the Italian gardens, but my husband called wanting kidney beans, so I gave up for the day. May go back in the future to take some more.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Domus posted:

For the sake of the thread, I went out and got wet today at the Greek gardens. I took some pictures as well.

I did a post with all the pictures and captions, but gently caress picasa, it won't work with SA. So check out the album, even if you don't like clicking away from the thread. I tried to put it here, I really did.

Whole album can be found at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/rebecca.b.johnston/TheSecret?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I was going to take pictures of the lion fountain in the Italian gardens, but my husband called wanting kidney beans, so I gave up for the day. May go back in the future to take some more.

You found Appelles and didn't realize it? Look under Homer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'll probably be going out to Houston on a day trip to do some quick recon work sometime this week. I won't be there very long, and I doubt I'll find anything particularly useful, but if I do find anything worthwhile I'll try to post pics.

In the meantime, does anyone who lived in the Houston area in the early 80's recall there being anything Arabic/Persian/Muslim-themed anywhere around the Hermann Park area?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

45 Degrees posted:

I scanned in the first section of the book and uploaded the pages to a Flickr account. http://www.flickr.com/photos/45degreesSA

Let me know if I need to fix anything. I'll be working on scanning a couple more pages but the majority of the book seems unrelated.

This is awesome, thanks a ton.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Fistgrrl posted:

You found Appelles and didn't realize it? Look under Homer.

Well drat. So I did. Anyway, it makes more of a case for Boston involving the library, as he's used names on monument type things in a solved puzzle.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Montreal

MassaShowtime posted:

I previously tied 67 to the Dominion of Canada, its how we started talking about that square.

If we're going with the giant pole theory its more likely imo that that would refer to Nelson's monument since its a giant column. Also her hands don't look anything like the guy in Cask 9's photo.

Yeah, having blown up a couple pictures to look at her fingers it looks like you're right. I was hoping the fingers might match better since the right hand looks right for cradling a scepter, but from what I can tell the fingers on the statue are different.

Here's what I'm thinking with Victoria:

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

I thought the "Sounds from the sky" might be church bells and you posted the picture of St. Patrick's that also included the window with what looks like an ace of clubs. Here's a picture showing the window and what appears to be similar aces on the flanking spires. They're missing the the stem obviously, but otherwise I think it's pretty uncanny to find both features on the same structure:

Also, here's your picture that also shows the rose window that might refer to the flower in the puzzle-pic:

So I think there's a lot going to that particular church in the context of Verse 7.

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

The river is running north across from here. I know it's been pointed out that with Montreal specifically Twain has a connection with the cathedrals, but rivers are another common association. And, we're already at a church. If so, this would point us towards the river for where we want to go.

Giant pole
Giant step

It seems like Victoria Square and the statue are really close and can be tied in with this verse. Maybe you can even see the statue over the buildings from the door of St. Patrick's? I know from down by the statue the central spire is visible from the bells up, but this is just speculation. Anyways, going towards the river by what looks like the most direct route would take us to Victoria Square and the monument. It also has the advantage of the B,X,V intersection that would match with the theory that there would likely be streets nearby the cask-park hidden in the picture.

Here's the statue itself:

She's stepping forward with her left foot and holding her scepter in her right hand. Neither is particularly grand, but the statue itself is over-sized so maybe the verse should be translated more as "a giant's pole" and "a giant's step."

The area at the base of the statue would be the most likely place for the cask in this theory... maybe where the scepter is pointing or where her left foot seems to be overhanging the edge?

Nelson's Column seems like it's far away, but there's actually a Twain line associated with it too. It's something like "memorializing where a the great man did not fall." Maybe "giant pole" (the column) and "giant step" means the hike to get there?

Additionally, Pioneer's Obelisk is just down McGill from here right? That seems like another possibility. I like Victoria, though, since it also ties closer with Dominion Square (1867) and the Boer War (The Netherlands).

e: fwiw, the actual line is "I have looked with emotion, here in your city, upon the monument which makes forever memorable the spot where Horatio Nelson did not stand when he fell." It's from the same speech as his church window line.
http://www.twainquotes.com/18811210.html if anyone wants to try to build a separate connection with Twain and Montreal.

Guuse fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 11, 2013

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
I have the book coming in this week or next and I have access to a stupidly-high-detail imaging system at work if anybody wants high res images of certain pages or parts of pages.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
The scans by Bankok on Flickr are about 7040x10752 (cask 11-august-"boston"). However, it would be nice to have a second source especially if there is any improvement in color reproduction. The images are rather close to aspect ratio of standard movie posters (which are 27"x40"). So, a desirable size would be something like 27"x40" at 300 dpi = 8100 x 12000 pixels.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
I'll talk to our graphics guy when the book comes in and get some captures done, if he think's there's any room for improvement over what Bankok posted. Although we probably shouldn't need to be able to render the details of the mites eating the binding glue out of a 30-year old paperback to solve a treasure hunt, it's good to have an excuse handy!

The wife and I are going to spend a weekend in St. Augustine this summer, once I make enough headway on cask 6 to have a list of things to get pictures of.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Actually, I did not think that all the way through. Taking Bankok's scan of cask 11 as an example, I made it into a rectangle the best I could and got 5556x9152 pixels. Printing that to fit inside a 27"x40" poster would give a 24.28"x40" print at 228.8 dpi already. However, the printing artifacts are really visible. So, not only increasing dpi will just enlarge the artifacts, but also I don't think it's a good idea to blow up the illustrations to such a big size.

So, as far as making the large prints, it's a no-go. But, it would still be nice to have a second set of scans for the sake of playing the color reproduction roulette. Also, if you actually cut up your book to get the illustrations out, your borders might be a little closer to perfect. Not suggesting you should do it, just throwing it out there.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
GENERAL

I think some of you are way over-analyzing these photos. If you look at the solved picture, you notice everything is there, plain to see. There's no 'zoom in with 5 times magnification, rotate 90 degrees, and decipher what MIGHT be a number or letter' business going on.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Devyl posted:

GENERAL

I think some of you are way over-analyzing these photos. If you look at the solved picture, you notice everything is there, plain to see. There's no 'zoom in with 5 times magnification, rotate 90 degrees, and decipher what MIGHT be a number or letter' business going on.

No way I'm working on decrypting the secret map hidden in the 4509834th printing dot on image 2

CanAm
Jan 4, 2009

Eh.
Cask 11

"North of Xenophon"- What's to the left of this wall, if you're facing it? I'm thinking it's a "relative" north. Sure, Thucydides is physically above Xenophon, but it's really more to the left.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Montreal

Devyl posted:

GENERAL

I think some of you are way over-analyzing these photos. If you look at the solved picture, you notice everything is there, plain to see. There's no 'zoom in with 5 times magnification, rotate 90 degrees, and decipher what MIGHT be a number or letter' business going on.

Eh, I think it's useful to do that. We were talking about flipping the collar on Cask 9 to match it with something, and I think I may have! Apologies if this has been posted earlier, but I don't think it has.

Here's the collar on on Cask 9 rotated 180 degrees:

Here's the Robert Burns statue in Dorchester Square. Check out his coat line under his arms :v:

It looks pretty close! It's lacking the distinctive hitch on the right, and the coat flows too far too far to the left but depending on shadows, corrosion and perspective the shape you see can change.

From the a more rightward angle, now the left side of the coat seems to be dropping down correctly and the shadows are kind of providing a hitch on the right. The leg on the left side seems to be tracking the image correctly, too:

From here the effect is ruined completely:

It would be cool if someone would go over and take a picture from a rightish angle to see if we can get it to match up as closely as possible. Maybe make a note of where your standing?

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
11
Literal north doesn't really work, but I believe someone already suggested the lawn divider area on Comm ave. There is a statue there, but the whole thing is tenuous like everything else.

'North' is clearly significant here, because the solved Cleveland puzzle also has Greek names on a wall and no direction. I say, it might be something to do with how Xenophon continued the work of Thucydides. Also, maybe the verse is not right - we are looking for Italian connections, not Greek ones.

I think the simplest possible explanation would be something like "find a landmark with both names on it, *continue* to north of the town, North End = Italian district". As you need to cross the entire downtown, it's not a satisfying interpretation. The starting location becomes irrelevant.

North Harvard is called Area 8, all I'm saying!

Also... Harvard Epworth United Methodist Church is the best match for Pandora's castle I have seen yet. It has the two asymmetrical windows, the narrow tower with the right cap, and even the castle-wall decoration. (Not counting the checkerboard, I have stopped counting the buildings with the checkerboard pattern.)

WaterHOUSE Street...

You know, I think I am just going to stop here, because this is probably the closest I've ever got (It's in the Cambridge Common Park).

The gate matches too. It has the double triangles and the rightmost sphere+column from the image.

And you can see the Memorial Church from the park matching my previous Harvard theory.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 11, 2013

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

slipfish posted:

1969

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureate_(Lipton)

I have to say, it does look similar.

Edit: Egh, beaten.

I'll be heading down to Milwaukee this weekend to take some pictures if anybody is interested in meeting up.

I really don't think this statue was always behind the preforming arts center especially since the river walk is, for all intents, brand new.

Since I've started this thread, I've noticed that the city of Milwaukee makes a habit of juggling statues from park to park.

It could be meaningful but who knows. Whats more important is where the statue is originally from.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
It now appears I have access at Quest4Treasure. Time to go digging.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4