Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Aatrek posted:

As long as they increase the number of icons in a folder, I won't need to JB. The current limit is ridiculous.

Also, blah blah Newsstand sucks.

It will be unlimited. Mentioned it in the keynote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplesnatch
Sep 6, 2011

Atarian posted:

If there was a way to reply to a text from the notification bubble, i wouldn't have a use for jailbreaking when ios7 is out. That being said, I'm probably going to update.

That's the only thing that was missing from the videos I saw. If there's a quick reply from the notification bubble/lock screen I'd say all bases are covered!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've jailbroken for as long as it's been a thing. And maybe one day I will again. It's been a fun ride.

iOS7 basically just obliterated about 95% of why your average person would jailbreak.

Flashlight. Auxo. Infinifolder. Different (new theme) look. I know I'm missing at least 2 or 3 more I noted during the keynote.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

simplesnatch posted:

That's the only thing that was missing from the videos I saw. If there's a quick reply from the notification bubble/lock screen I'd say all bases are covered!
I'd be really surprised if something like this didn't make it into the final build, since it's basically the only "jailbreak feature" left and they demoed basically the exact same thing on the OSX Messages side of things.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

As someone who relies on jailbreak for tethering, are you guys saying there is not any likelihood that people will devote themselves to jailbreaking iOS 7?

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Klungar posted:

As someone who relies on jailbreak for tethering, are you guys saying there is not any likelihood that people will devote themselves to jailbreaking iOS 7?

No, there probably will be an iOS 7 jailbreak somewhere down the line, it's just that the majority of the popular tweaks are baked into stock iOS and eliminate the need to jailbreak for a large chunk of us.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Klungar posted:

No of course they will!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I will miss quick reply and quick compose but not enough to not upgrade to iOS 7

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The one thing I'm worried about is bluetooth. I have a pebble and it's night and day with jailbroken / stock iOS. Stock iOS doesn't push out most of the alerts for 3rd party apps (might be all but I don't know).

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wow, yeah, iOS 7. Holy crap, that is a GORGEOUS and really useful looking interface. I'll miss the quick compose of bitesms, but man.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I'll have no reason to JB with ios7.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I'm going to miss Zephyr if I go back to stock. :(

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008
/\/\/\ also zephyr

As someone who went from my busy background and nightmarish setup to flat icons with the super clean 3x3 setup I really don't know if I want to switch now. I mean conceivably if its that nice wont there just be themes to emulate it? Is there anything it adds that you can't already get through the jailbreaking interface because I'm really bummed to lose my emulators and whatnot as well.

Though I suppose I can just wait till a 7 jb comes out too.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

benisntfunny posted:

It will be unlimited. Mentioned it in the keynote.

Oooooooh.

I still really like the features added by SwipeSelector, RetinaPad, and Infinidock, though. Plus my SNES emulator.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 11, 2013

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
No matter what Apple sucks into the vanilla iOS experience, jailbroken apps will always be on the cutting edge. If you want the coolest mods with the most unique features before Apple copies them, you need to be jailbroken. That's just how it is. There will always be people tweaking their phone and people who want to change or add to what already exists. That said, this year they've added quite a few features that a lot of people explicitly jailbroke for, which is great. The more they bake into iOS the better.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I didn't watch the keynote but we there an ETA on the update? I'm assuming when they announce their next iPhone?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

obi_ant posted:

I didn't watch the keynote but we there an ETA on the update? I'm assuming when they announce their next iPhone?

Fall.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

obi_ant posted:

When they release the new phone, yes.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The iOS7 features that are directly copied off of current JB apps is blatantly hilarious

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
What about any sort of NCsettings/SBSettings Notification Window tools, anything?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

What about any sort of NCsettings/SBSettings Notification Window tools, anything?

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

Look for the "Control Center" gif/video/animation thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bouchacha posted:

The iOS7 features that are directly copied off of current JB apps is blatantly hilarious

Pretty much every major addition to iOS has been a jailbreak tweak.

Hell, APPS were a jailbreak-only thing at the beginning.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... anybody want to trade a jailbroken iPhone 5 for my iOS 7 iPhone 5? (yeah, I don't like the new interface; but I knew the consequences of upgrading and losing my JB before I upgraded)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Would you rather they never be implemented and you have to jailbreak just for something like folders?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

No of course not, I totally welcome it especially since the fact that the features exist at all under JB are an indication that a wider audience would benefit with them. I'm just amused at how blatant some of the appropriations are, especially with "control center" and NCSettings.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

So I know other people have brought this up but my "other" category is at 5 gigs. I ran both cleaners and it hasn't done much. I'm betting I need to restore or something? I'm also tempted to jump on the beta bandwagon because I've only jailbroke the past 2 OS versions for BiteSMS. I'm running a GSM 4 on 6.1 incidentally.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What happens when you go to the usage tab in settings? Are there a bunch of apps just using up temporary space?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

no everything together in usage is <7gb. So my money's in some horrible stored data for jailbreak apps or something.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Some of the jailbreak apps/tweaks that are now built into iOS 7:

1) DeepEnd / 3DBoard (3D / parallax wallpaper)
2) SBSettings / NCSettings (swipe for quick toggles)
3) Infinifolders (infinite folder items, folder scrolling)
4) FolderEnhancer (full-screen folder)
5) BlurriedNCBackground (Notification Center background)
6) Prot0type (cellular signal strength theme)
7) Auxo / Cardswitcher (webOS-style app switcher)
8) Safari Omnibar (single search/address bar in Safari)
9) IntelliscreenX (Notification items on lock screen)
10) Swipeback (swipe to go back)
11) Bulletin (access Notification Center on Lock screen)
12) Torch (flashlight button)

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
To be truthful though, that's a good thing. It's acknowledging that's iOS has been missing a few things and that Apple are willing to rectify this. It's still a hell of a long way from having real root access to the OS, but if I can change brightness from anywhere on my phone without needing to Jailbreak then I'm happy.

I wonder if any of the Tweak developers have been credited. Kind of funny how Apple has been fighting Samsung over patent claims for the last forever, yet happily copys other people's apps/implementations.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

Some of the jailbreak apps/tweaks that are now built into iOS 7:

1) DeepEnd / 3DBoard (3D / parallax wallpaper)
2) SBSettings / NCSettings (swipe for quick toggles)
3) Infinifolders (infinite folder items, folder scrolling)
4) FolderEnhancer (full-screen folder)
5) BlurriedNCBackground (Notification Center background)
6) Prot0type (cellular signal strength theme)
7) Auxo / Cardswitcher (webOS-style app switcher)
8) Safari Omnibar (single search/address bar in Safari)
9) IntelliscreenX (Notification items on lock screen)
10) Swipeback (swipe to go back)
11) Bulletin (access Notification Center on Lock screen)
12) Torch (flashlight button)

Wow, with all this in iOS7 it might actually convince me to not JB this time. iFile will never make it in and I use it a fair bit, but if I can get NCSettings without having to jailbreak it might be worth the trade-off.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

The Dave posted:

What happens when you go to the usage tab in settings? Are there a bunch of apps just using up temporary space?

basically what I'm saying is on 6.1 can I just shift restore in iTunes or am I going to have to do the tinyumbrella mambo to restore it?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
If they'd just add quick compose ala BiteSMS I'd never jailbreak again. That is really the only reason I do especially since activator has poo poo the bed lately

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Grandmaster.flv posted:

basically what I'm saying is on 6.1 can I just shift restore in iTunes or am I going to have to do the tinyumbrella mambo to restore it?

You will have to use TinyUmbrella.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Grandmaster.flv posted:

You can only restore to 6.1 if you have an iPhone 4 or older and have your SHSH blobs saved. If you have a newer phone or don't have them saved, the only versions you can restore to are 6.1.3 (or 6.1.4 if you have an iPhone 5), or the 7 beta.

There are a few other options that might help you out, iLEX RAT or the to-be-released SemiRestore.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I have a GSM 4 and its on 6.1 rn with my shsh stored. What I'm asking is can I just shift restore 6.1 again and just sync everything over or is there more of a process.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Ah okay. There's a bit more of a process, and there are a few ways to do it. You can use TinyUmbrella itself, iFaith, or sn0wbreeze.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

well I stiched an ipsw with my shsh blob. Can I shift restore nooooooooow?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

so I restored from the backup and I still have 4 gigs of other. If I set up as a new phone will iCloud sync back all my text messages (the only really important part)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Grandmaster.flv posted:

so I restored from the backup and I still have 4 gigs of other. If I set up as a new phone will iCloud sync back all my text messages (the only really important part)?

Believe so. I just swapped out phones last night and after loading my icloud backup, ALLLLL of my old text messages were back.

• Locked thread