Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Ariza posted:

Unsurprisingly, the mycotoxin nonsense is based on a misunderstanding of a scientific article.

Could you expand on that a bit? I'm not doubting you at all, I just haven't heard anything on this subject except when Joe mentions it every other podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.
I'm not sure about the health benefits/negatives but I've been drinking bulletproof coffee for months now. I haven't turned into a fatass yet or anything. It's delicious though and it gives me energy throughout the day. I'd like to see more science on the long-term health of drinking it beyond what Asprey claims. I've just gotten into the habit of drinking it because it's drat good. The people who say it doesn't taste good are probably making it half-assed.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Keeping in mind I abandoned my biology degree many years ago, so I may be missing some pretty obvious stuff.
Abstract from a pubmed article showing real world prevalence of mycotoxins in coffee:

quote:

Abstract

This report reviews studies concerning the susceptibility of green coffee beans to mycotoxin contamination. Included are investigations on normal mold flora, toxin production in inoculated beans, effect of experimental roasting on aflatoxin, ochratoxin, and sterigmatocystin, and survey on the presence of these toxins in commercial green coffee. Because of the extremely low frequency of findings, the low levels of toxins, and the experimental data showing 70--80% destruction by the roasting process of toxin added to green coffee, further study on this topic has been discontinued.

And another one:

quote:

Abstract
Coffee is produced in tropical countries around the Equator where climatic conditions are favourable for fungal development and mycotoxin production; however, mycotoxins do not only occur in the tropical countries. The aim was to evaluate the mycoflora and possible incidence of ochratoxin A (OTA) in 60 samples of green coffee beans from Brazil. The mycological evaluation was carried out using a conventional method and the OTA was determined using sequential phenyl silane and immunoaffinity column cleanup followed by HPLC. The detection limit was 0.2 microg kg(-1). Practically all samples (91.7%) were contaminated with moulds. The dominant fungal genus was Aspergillus, including A. niger (83.3%), A. ochraceus (53.3%) and A. flavus (25.0%). The occurrence and the levels of the genus Cladosporium (16.6%) and Penicillium (10.0%) were substantially lower than Aspergilli. Twenty samples (33.3%) of 60 were contaminated with the toxin at levels ranging from 0.2 to 7.3microg kg(-1). The average concentration was 2.38 microg kg(-1). All positive samples showed OTA levels below the limit suggested by the European Union (8 microg kg(-1)).

From the data I can find through wikipedia (lol) and primary sources, you'd need to eat over 8 lbs of coffee in a day to go over the tolerable limit of ochratoxin A. It's found in higher rates in a ton of stuff, especially rhizomes. Most searches for any info on it lead to bulletproof coffee or people saying bulletproof coffee is complete bullshit. The market right now is ripe for people who can play on people's fear of 'toxins' so it's a pretty smart move. It's weird how for a lot of things Joe says there's no proof and it's bullshit but he just goes along with bulletproof coffee. I'm assuming they're paying him.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
Onnit carries the bulletproof ingredients, so there's that.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Ariza posted:

I'm assuming they're paying him.

But Joe says he would never be involved with anything that isn't legit :confused:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I want this to happen so loving bad

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Bitcoin talk on the Kevin Perreira was bad enough.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I'm about halfway through the podcast with Kelly Starrett and it's loving hilarious. He keeps trying to make MMA and standup comedy analogies which Joe keeps shutting right down, is clearly incapable of understanding how jokes work, and at one point has sighed loudly and super passive-aggressively before restarting the same sentence 5 or 6 times while Joe keeps interrupting him.

It's no Jamie Kilstein, but he's giving this guy less room to explain himself and his opinions about how the human body works than the AIDS denialist weirdo.

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 11, 2013

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

I'm about halfway through the podcast with Kelly Starrett and it's loving hilarious. He keeps trying to make MMA and standup comedy analogies which Joe keeps shutting right down, is clearly incapable of understanding how jokes work, and at one point has signed loudly and super passive-aggressively before restarting the same sentence 5 or 6 times while Joe keeps interrupting him.

It's no Jamie Kilstein, but he's giving this guy less room to explain himself and his opinions about how the human body works than the AIDS denialist weirdo.

It's even better when you watch it on Youtube and see the look on his face when Joe and Brian make jokes.

Confession, I did amazon one-click his book while I was listening.

Joey Donuts posted:

I'm not sure about the health benefits/negatives but I've been drinking bulletproof coffee for months now. I haven't turned into a fatass yet or anything. It's delicious though and it gives me energy throughout the day. I'd like to see more science on the long-term health of drinking it beyond what Asprey claims. I've just gotten into the habit of drinking it because it's drat good. The people who say it doesn't taste good are probably making it half-assed.

Interesting, have you tried the same approach with a brand of coffee other than Asprey's own product?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle posted:

*phlegmy Joey Diaz cough*

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.

Speaking of Joey Diaz, his voicemail is pretty fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3H0kSYkUHA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
I turned off the Kelly podcast as his method of being assertive and adding power to his words by saying "yes or no" after all his ridiculous claims irritated me. After the last few posts, going to turn it back on though as it sounds (unintentionally) hilarious.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

God drat this Bobcat episode is funny. No Brian either if that's your taste.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

beep by grandpa posted:

No Brian either if that's your taste.

Sold.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.

sweet_jones posted:

Interesting, have you tried the same approach with a brand of coffee other than Asprey's own product?

I tried a couple of other brands that fell into the same standards that bulletproof coffee uses, but actually didn't like the flavor as much. I'm sure that's more a matter of personal taste but I ended up sticking with Asprey's coffee. It's a little pricey though, and I may eventually try some other brands again.

I'd love to just get something local and I may experiment some more after my current batch runs out. In my opinion it's less about the mycotoxins and more about the coffee/butter/mct oil combo.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

God drat this Bobcat episode is funny. No Brian either if that's your taste.

Holy crap the juggalo gathering story is killing me :lol:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yeah that's exactly where I had to shut it off and decided to listen to the rest at home. I was about to loving pass out from stiffling my laughs trying to listen to that story at work, exactly at the bit about the clown getting nailed in the head by the soda can and slumping over.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
holy crap, excited for an ep of JRE I actually want to listen to...gotta tell you I like redban being on, helps to balance things out a bit sometimes.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He told the same story when he was on Pereira's podcast a while back too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That was a great Pereira episode too. I'll gladly listen to the story again

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I love that Joe and Alex Grey think there needs to be a word for discrimination against people who use psychedelics on the same level as Misogyny, Homophobia, and Racism. Because those 4 things are totally equivalent!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

But people who use psychedelics have been disenfranchised, persecuted and executed for centuries!!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Bobcat ep was good, I laughed out loud a few times, that story about the Clown getting nailed with a faygo was gold. He did repeat a few stories he told on his last appearance, which is understandable, but the first time I've heard so many repeat stories, probably due to the fact that one host is a stoner and the other is kind of a space case.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I don't know why I'm surprised that Graham Hancock would get criticism for his decision to give up weed. After all, a quick trip through TCC is all it takes to find evidence of people who get really upset at the suggestion that weed can negatively impact your life in any way.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Joe Rogan Experience: THAT SHOULD BE A MEME

Ugh.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah that's exactly where I had to shut it off and decided to listen to the rest at home. I was about to loving pass out from stiffling my laughs trying to listen to that story at work, exactly at the bit about the clown getting nailed in the head by the soda can and slumping over.

"When he called me Bob, I knew something was wrong." Haha

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I love that Joe and Alex Grey think there needs to be a word for discrimination against people who use psychedelics on the same level as Misogyny, Homophobia, and Racism. Because those 4 things are totally equivalent!

It's all just hate on a certain human.

indoflaven fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I listened to some libertarian unremarkably show a complete absence of understanding of the executive branch of the American government while Joe was the voice of reason about politics yesterday afternoon. Holy poo poo.

Why do Americans think that the president can just will laws into or out of existence without cooperation from the legislative branch?

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
I'm really over JRE in general, except for bert/joey diaz episodes. But the latest Bobcat one was great. The juggalo story had me crying. The second half was really weak with the Bigfoot bullshit; when Joe has comic people on especially one as old and well-traveled as Bob it really should be "Old school comic crew story time" and nothing else though in my opinion.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Cromlech posted:

I'm really over JRE in general, except for bert/joey diaz episodes. But the latest Bobcat one was great. The juggalo story had me crying. The second half was really weak with the Bigfoot bullshit; when Joe has comic people on especially one as old and well-traveled as Bob it really should be "Old school comic crew story time" and nothing else though in my opinion.

A significant portion of the JRE audience gives him poo poo for talking about comedy. Ridiculous

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
If Jason Silva has ever talked about a subject that doesn't involve him citing and quoting comprehensively from his bibliography brain, I haven't heard it. Impressive stuff.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

A significant portion of the JRE audience gives him poo poo for talking about comedy. Ridiculous

Considering Joe's standup, it shouldn't surprise you that he doesn't have much to say about comedy.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Oh, hate all you want, but some of his stand up is really funny. His last special wasn't the best, but he has found his audience and was obviously playing to them. But, his previous ones were really funny for the low brain activity, "alpha male" type jokes that he goes for.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

ZeroDays posted:

If Jason Silva has ever talked about a subject that doesn't involve him citing and quoting comprehensively from his bibliography brain, I haven't heard it. Impressive stuff.

His videos are pretty cool.

I'm sure he has shares in trendy slouchy beanies though.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Rogan on the podcast with Ari, Jason, and Duncan: Uhhh..I think you mean Libya, Liberia is in Africa.

:ughh:

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
i thought it was in africa too though

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Demie posted:

i thought it was in africa too though

They're both in Africa

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

That would be awesome if Dr. Michio Kaku went on the show.

The brief phone conversation Joe had with him is pretty interesting. And its hilarious how the conversation devolves into Joe trying to convince him to eat shrooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWVm7WQ3duY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61HRG7T-Knc

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

"The psychedelic nature of 2013"

:what:

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
Did anyone catch Joe's Sci-Fi show tonight. I heard that the first episode was on Big Foot. -_-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I'm watching it right now. Joe is a tiny, tiny man.