Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollis posted:

The kicker though has to be that it is a direct sequel!! To the film Offspring which I still haven't seen but have not heard good things about but both are based of Ketchum books.That's just strange in itself to take characters from a previous film examine it's content and then produce one of the best horror movies in the last ten years probably.

This is half-true: Offspring is based on a pre-existing novel of the same name by Ketchum (which was itself a sequel to his novel Off Season). The Woman, however, has sort of a 2001: A Space Odyssey thing going on, where Jack Ketchum and Lucky McKee collaborated on the novel and the film and both were written concurrently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Why are all haunted houses dilapidated mansions? Shouldn't there be, like, haunted condominiums by now?

Paranormal Activity does this. I mean that's essentially what the first movie is about. The traditional folktale/urban legend haunted house is about a scary "other" place, a place outside daily life that's foreboding and reminds you of death and decay etc., hence dilapidated mansions and abandoned houses etc. PA gets its horror from (and I think SMG has talked about this) the unheimlich sensation of the opulent bourgie house these people live in and that they're surrounded by so much stuff that just sits there, and the boyfriend is a shallow rear end in a top hat and the girlfriend is uncomfortable with it, etc. I really think the first one is a great horror movie because of the way it sort of updates the haunted house convention and has class and gender floating around in the background in cool ways and so on.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Why are all haunted houses dilapidated mansions? Shouldn't there be, like, haunted condominiums by now?

Well, there's also Poltergeist and The Grudge just off the top of my head - the houses/apartments in those were new or newish.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

1408 featured a haunted hotel room, although I can't remember how old it was supposed to be.
The hotel in The Shining was in rather good condition (at first).

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

V/H/S 2 tells you straight-up that analog tapes of genuine supernatural phenomena affect your brain chemistry when you watch them. Since watching the tapes is addictive, a black market has grown around making and distributing them. Prolonged exposure changes your body so much that you become undead/immortal. What more explanation do you want?

I did appreciate that V/H/S/2 implemented the idea that the vignettes are contained within the wraparound story (I thought it was particularly effective transitioning from "Safe Haven" to "Slumber Party Alien Abduction") and the individual stories affect a larger overall narrative. It felt more like a complete film than a series of shorts like the first one. I hope that's the direction they take with further installments. That said, I thought V/H/S was more thematically cohesive, so it's a bit of a wash for me.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

V/H/S 2 tells you straight-up that analog tapes of genuine supernatural phenomena affect your brain chemistry when you watch them. Since watching the tapes is addictive, a black market has grown around making and distributing them. Prolonged exposure changes your body so much that you become undead/immortal. What more explanation do you want?

I think this is pretty much the best explanation we have. The one question I have though is why does the female investigator come back to life 20-30 minutes after shooting herself, and after being in the house for less than an hour? That goes against the whole prolonged exposure idea. The college kid and the old man from 1 are both seemingly addicted to these tapes for an extended amount of time before dying, enough time to build up a massive collection, but Ayesha dies after viewing three of them.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Mr. Boogie posted:

I think this is pretty much the best explanation we have. The one question I have though is why does the female investigator come back to life 20-30 minutes after shooting herself, and after being in the house for less than an hour? That goes against the whole prolonged exposure idea. The college kid and the old man from 1 are both seemingly addicted to these tapes for an extended amount of time before dying, enough time to build up a massive collection, but Ayesha dies after viewing three of them.

The kid mentioned a "sequence". Presumably they must be watched in a certain order, rather than for a certain amount of time. Watching the tapes in the correct order is a kind of magic spell.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Coming back to report that Dead Silence is very good. I'm biased because I think animated object stuff is always scary for some psychological reason but I definitely jumped a few times. Great folklore / fairy tale style. Some of the corny SAW stylistic elements are there I guess as a calling card (I think I heard the "Hello Zep" or whatever theme once, plus the slow motion dealie and playing the music at half speed over the Big Revelation Flashback and general grimy look in places etc.). Fun time, recommended.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, there's actually a blink and you'll miss it cameo by the Billy doll from Saw somewhere in there.

Watched Cabin in the Woods. I have no particularly deep analysis of it or anything, but sweet Jebus, that was a fun movie. The expies of Pinhead and the Strangers and the snake from Anaconda had me giggling like a goof.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Craig Spradlin posted:

Well, there's also Poltergeist and The Grudge just off the top of my head - the houses/apartments in those were new or newish.

Anne Rivers Siddons wrote a book called The House Next Door that was deliberately meant to subvert the trope - the house of the title is haunted even before construction is complete. It's a great book, I recommend it. The Hallmark Channel of all people adapted it for the screen a few years ago, and if anyone knows where to get hold of a copy I'd be obliged.

(On a sidebar, Hill House in The Haunting is 80 years old at the time of the movie but was also haunted from the moment it was built.)

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Jedit posted:

Anne Rivers Siddons wrote a book called The House Next Door that was deliberately meant to subvert the trope - the house of the title is haunted even before construction is complete. It's a great book, I recommend it. The Hallmark Channel of all people adapted it for the screen a few years ago, and if anyone knows where to get hold of a copy I'd be obliged.

(On a sidebar, Hill House in The Haunting is 80 years old at the time of the movie but was also haunted from the moment it was built.)

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill house, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for 80 years and might for 80 more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

schwenz posted:

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill house, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for 80 years and might for 80 more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone."

Then again, sometimes houses just become evil...

quote:

Ann Barrett: What did he do to make this house so evil, Mr. Fischer?

Benjamin Franklin Fischer: Drug addiction, alcoholism, sadism, beastiality, mutilation, murder, vampirism, necrophilia, cannibalism, not to mention a gamut of sexual goodies. Shall I go on?

Ann Barrett: How did it end?

Benjamin Franklin Fischer: If it had ended, we would not be here.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What about Doom House? (Or, conversely, Mood House?)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dream House was rife with potential, from the title on down.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Then again, sometimes houses just become evil...

Just a reminder that Legend of Hell House loving rules. I might rewatch that today.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm actually reading Hell House right now, and don't think I've ever seen the whole movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm actually reading Hell House right now, and don't think I've ever seen the whole movie.

I'd say the book is probably better (maybe my favorite haunted house story ever, though I've somehow never read The Haunting of Hill House or seen the movie), but the movie's really boss as well. It's a fairly faithful adaptation, but at the same time goes for an entirely different vibe; the movie is much more stately and low-key, whereas the book is much more visceral.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I'd say the book is probably better (maybe my favorite haunted house story ever, though I've somehow never read The Haunting of Hill House or seen the movie), but the movie's really boss as well. It's a fairly faithful adaptation, but at the same time goes for an entirely different vibe; the movie is much more stately and low-key, whereas the book is much more visceral.

Unusually, I would recommend the recent comic adaptation as well. It's an excellent conversion of the story, and the art is fantastic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah, the book is surprisingly nastier than I recall. It actually makes for a nice companion to Haunting of Hill House.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, the book is surprisingly nastier than I recall. It actually makes for a nice companion to Haunting of Hill House.

The book is INCREDIBLY nasty. I find it creepier and more disturbing than the movie, especially how they treat/handle the characters and what happens to them. But both the book and the movie are incredible. I reread/rewatch it once a year.

If anyone is interested, Nancy Collins wrote a prequel e-novella concerning what happened to the second expedition that also touches on what happened to the first. It's decent (I find it online for 3 bucks) but much more sexually charged than the novel and the climax is a bit of a letdown.

http://www.amazon.com/Return-To-Hell-House-ebook/dp/B008VNWBWS

I figured "The Haunting of Hill House" is great for teens who are into horror. "The Legend of Hell House" is for when they're over 18. The funny part? The movie was rated PG! God bless the 1970's.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Somehow it always feels like Matheson never got his due despite the long shadow he casts on literary horror.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

The Amityville book is a million times better than the movie.

And Yeah, Matheson never really got the credit he deserves.

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
The Box
I Am Legend
Legend of Hellhouse
The Stranger Within

E: didn't he write stir of echoes as well?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

schwenz posted:

And Yeah, Matheson never really got the credit he deserves.

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
The Box
I Am Legend
Legend of Hellhouse
The Stranger Within

E: didn't he write stir of echoes as well?

Also Duel, The Incredible Shrinking Man and Prey (the basis for Amelia in Trilogy of Terror). Matheson's a god.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Yes, and the Incredible Shrinking Man as well.

e:fb

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I make it a point to recommend Matheson to anyone who tells me they've "read everything by Stephen King" and want something new in the horror genre.

It's a rec that usually goes over well, because Matheson is King's original in a lot of ways, and doesn't have nearly as many of his foibles. I think it might have something to do with his time -- he hearkens back to the pulps of the 20s and 30s so there's usually a pleasant swiftness to his writing.

Also, the final few lines of Hell House are to this day one of my favorite little things I've ever read. I don't remember if the movie kept that -- a good excuse to watch it again soon, I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mathesonian horror is my poo poo.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

I'm surprised that nobody ever picked up Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" for a movie.
Seems like it's ripe for the picking.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hollis posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again The Woman is a knockout in terms of tone, story, acting, directing. I'd say it is in my top 10 list for the last 5 years.

I liked the movie for the most part, but holy crap I hated the soundtrack. Every few minutes there was some crappy Nickelback-esque rock track that was louder than anything else in the movie and it never failed to kill the tone. Did Lucky McKee feel sorry for a friend that never shut up about his demo tape or something?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

schwenz posted:

I'm surprised that nobody ever picked up Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" for a movie.
Seems like it's ripe for the picking.

It would be very, very hard to film, I think. So much of the story revolves around Merricat's and Constance's history unfolding.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

I liked the movie for the most part, but holy crap I hated the soundtrack. Every few minutes there was some crappy Nickelback-esque rock track that was louder than anything else in the movie and it never failed to kill the tone. Did Lucky McKee feel sorry for a friend that never shut up about his demo tape or something?

I thought the same thing when I watched it so I looked into it and they are friends from college. It was pretty distracting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Ariza posted:

I thought the same thing when I watched it so I looked into it and they are friends from college. It was pretty distracting.

I will agree that the Nicklebackish songs were not great. Other than the music I'd say it's one of the best horror movies made. Just for the subject matter and how absolute subversive it is. I really love this movie so much. I should probably make a review thread I don't know if there is one. It just examines so many issues in the short time it is on frame plus it's so compelling.

I need help with something, Okay I am searching and searching but I need the name of a famousish Russian Horror movie from the possibly 40s to 60s but cannot find the name of it. It was fairly well known , my googlefu is not turning up anything.

Also, the name of a TNT horror anthology that was Cthulhuish in nature associated with Stephen King.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Hollis posted:

I need help with something, Okay I am searching and searching but I need the name of a famousish Russian Horror movie from the possibly 40s to 60s but cannot find the name of it. It was fairly well known , my googlefu is not turning up anything.

Also, the name of a TNT horror anthology that was Cthulhuish in nature associated with Stephen King.

The latter is Nightmares and Dreamscapes. The former request is pretty vague, but the only classic Russian horror film I know of is Viy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Blind Azathoth posted:

The latter is Nightmares and Dreamscapes. The former request is pretty vague, but the only classic Russian horror film I know of is Viy.

Nailed it on both of them thanks a bunch. Was driving me crazy which is bad because i just watched Viy a few months ago and wanted to recommend it to someone but could not for the life of me remember the title.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I've been on an anthology kick the past couple nights, and I have to say, I really enjoyed Tales from the Crypt ('72) and Black Sabbath. The final story in Black Sabbath had some creepy images, but more than anything both movies were fun. Any other recommendations for fun, older horror anthologies? (I've seen both Creepshows of course) I'm thinking of viewing Twice told Tales next.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

I've been on an anthology kick the past couple nights, and I have to say, I really enjoyed Tales from the Crypt ('72) and Black Sabbath. The final story in Black Sabbath had some creepy images, but more than anything both movies were fun. Any other recommendations for fun, older horror anthologies? (I've seen both Creepshows of course) I'm thinking of viewing Twice told Tales next.

In case you missed it before, here you go.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just saw V/H/S 2. Normally I don't criticize other people's opinions, because, like, that's just their opinion man. This is the exception: If you don't like this movie, I honestly feel sorry for you because you don't like fun. This is a horror movie in the sense that Tales From The Crypt or Creepshow were horror movies. A bunch of disjointed vignettes loosely tied together, with the goal of providing some quick scares and then buggering off. And humor. Oh so much humor. If you didn't laugh during this movie, you're missing part of the fun.

It might help to go in with the mindset that this is sort of an Evil Dead 2 style of movie. Yes, there is gore. And yes, there is some really, really creepy poo poo in this movie. There were times my wife looked away and told me to tell her when it was over. Then there were other moments when we were laughing and cheering because of how loving crazy it was.

On to my spoiler filled review. If you haven't see the movie, do yourself a favor and don't read this, you really owe it to yourself to see this blind.

1: The wraparound story. Ok these two investigators were dumb shits and I couldn't care less when they died. However, I like the continuity that was established with this story. The painting of the old dude from the first one was cool, and the sort of half assed explanation the student provided was useful. It also gives part 3 something to work with without spelling everything out completely. I agree with previously posters who don't want a full explanation given, the unknown is almost always scarier. The effects were well done for this skit, especially the dude who ended up looking like the mutant vampire from Blade 2.

2: Magic Eyeball. Meh. This was the weakest story of the bunch for me. I liked the character, anyone who has the balls to ask if he's going to be recorded jerking off is ok in my book. The problem I had with this one it needed a ton more explanation. First, who the gently caress were the ghosts? Why were they loving with him? How did the girl follow him home after the doctors office? The girl then said that the ghosts come after you in you've done something bad to them, so why did she come after him after she died? Why does loving make the ghosts disappear?

That was also the first laugh out loud moment of the movie for me. Sex makes angry ghosts go away? gently caress that, if I'm a ghost and two people start boning in front of me I'm pulling up a goddamn chair and watching that poo poo. I don't care if they're ugly, I'm still going to watch because that's got to rank pretty high up there on the ghost entertainment scale.

3: Zombie POV. gently caress yes, this was just a good gory as poo poo zombie story. I loved the little twist of filming it from the zombies perspective, and the effects in this one were brutal. My wife had to look away, and she isn't squeamish at all. Nothing fancy, nothing complex, just good gory zombie fun.

4: Cult-o-rama. I'm not going to say a drat thing about this part, because it was the greatest thing I've seen on film this year. I am not exaggerating. This short saw the line, pissed on it, then jumped over it and sprinted into the goddamn sunset. Just when you think it can't get any loving crazier, it does. And then does again. And again, and again. Until by the end I was laughing and cheering at the sheer balls it took to go that loving out there.

I have to blow this director a little. He's never done horror before. That's one of the reasons it makes this so goddamn amazing. The last movie he did was The Raid: Redemption which is the best action movie I've ever seen and pretty much ruined all other action movies for me. I have no idea how in the gently caress he even got involved in this project. But the result is brilliant. I don't know how big his budget was, but he got every goddamn penny out of it. Honestly I think Evil Dead should be remade again with him directing it. Even if I had hated every other part of the movie, it would have been completely worth it just for this. It's just so goddamn over the top, it's glorious.

5: What Dark Skies and the Fourth Kind should have been. Aliens come. They are dicks. Second weakest part of the movie, totally worth it though for the kids being absolute dicks to the sister. Also pissed me off a little for what happens to the dog.

All in all, I loved it. The first movie had a central theme of linking sex to death, the theme of this one is a little harder to pin down. I think it has to do with gallows humor, since everyone in this movie is just as hosed as the first but I was laughing way more at this one. I loved it, it's a fun horror movie that is clearly made for people that love horror movies, like Cabin in the Woods and Detention.

On a side note, what genre does Stoker fall into? Would that be thriller? Psychological horror? Because I just saw it, it's my favorite movie of the year and I really want to talk about it but I have no idea what thread to put it in.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

rxcowboy posted:

On a side note, what genre does Stoker fall into? Would that be thriller? Psychological horror? Because I just saw it, it's my favorite movie of the year and I really want to talk about it but I have no idea what thread to put it in.

Stoker is one of my favorite movies I saw this year. I pretty much classify it as a gothic horror as it has all the elements there, this brooding sense of isolation, romance, sexuality etc..

It really is a great film. I think visually it's incredibly stunning. Its moments of violence are fantastically done.

Tales from the Crypt is something I'm considering going back and rewatching. I remember some very good episodes but then also there are some very very terrible episodes as well. It's a mixed bag but it was awesome when it was on of course I was a kid.

V/H/S 2 is awesome and fun but they need to do something more with the wrap around story some how. Otherwise I see this series going for the long hall. It's cheap to make , quick to make, and popular. You get one amazing short film that blows people away and its all good. I mean the whole film is worth watching just for Safe Haven.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 12, 2013

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

rxcowboy posted:

There's a thread for it from a while ago: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538735

Stoker was great, I'm glad I got a chance to catch it in a theater.

Violator
May 15, 2003

rxcowboy posted:

2: Magic Eyeball. Meh. This was the weakest story of the bunch for me. I liked the character, anyone who has the balls to ask if he's going to be recorded jerking off is ok in my book. The problem I had with this one it needed a ton more explanation. First, who the gently caress were the ghosts? Why were they loving with him? How did the girl follow him home after the doctors office? The girl then said that the ghosts come after you in you've done something bad to them, so why did she come after him after she died? Why does loving make the ghosts disappear?

That was also the first laugh out loud moment of the movie for me. Sex makes angry ghosts go away? gently caress that, if I'm a ghost and two people start boning in front of me I'm pulling up a goddamn chair and watching that poo poo. I don't care if they're ugly, I'm still going to watch because that's got to rank pretty high up there on the ghost entertainment scale.

In the VHS2 thread, they talked about how:

1. The ghosts were people that he killed in the car accident that originally injured his eye. They had mentioned it may have been a drunk driving accident and they were coming back for revenge.
2. The girl had the ear implant to cure her deafness, so she knew that electronic implants allow people to interact with ghosts. That's why she was staring at him when he left the doctor's office, since she saw his eye. Not hard to imagine that she straight up followed him home.
3. She had sex with the main guy to piss off the Uncle Pedo ghost so he'd leave.

The VHS2 thread has some good discussion about it, and how the ghost theme and their motivations could have been tweaked to make it stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dr.Caligari posted:

I recommend:

The Vault of Horror (sequel to TftC)
Tales of Terror
From Beyond the Grave
Tales from the Darkside