Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Right OK I see where I've read this wrong :

Each hit that causes any amount of damage reduces a Horde’s
magnitude by one. Therefore, an attack that, after accounting
for armour and Toughness Bonus, causes 15 points of
damage reduces the Horde Magnitude by 1.

That's from the demo rule book, and yes as long as a hit causes any damage you remove 1 magnitude, so I should not be totaling the damage for each hit together.
I just read that '15 points of damage' wrong.. thanks guys.

Unrelenting Devastation:When firing a Heavy weapon against a
Horde, the Devastator Marine inflicts 1 extra point of damage to a
Horde’s Magnitude for every hit.

I think I got that bit right though, it's 1 additional damage, not 1d5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

unicr0n posted:

I think I got that bit right though, it's 1 additional damage, not 1d5.

Demo rules might be different from the main rules? I don't know.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

kingcom posted:

More than likely, I've already seen a few differences. I'll check the main rulebook when I've got a chance.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Pretty sure it does, +1 per hit. So bolters are great, and in a pinch a SM can just drop a frag at his feet and not really worry about damage.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goatface posted:

Explosive does an extra point? I did not know that.

edit - Wait, poo poo. Is it even consistent across games?

Only against hordes, mind. I *think* that's consistent across gamelines.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

kingcom posted:

Found it!

When firing a Heavy weapon, the Devestator Marine inflicts 1 extra point of damage to a Horde's Magnitude for every hit. If using a weapon with the Blast Quality, he instead inflicts 1d5 extra points of damage to a Horde's Magnitude (after all other hits have been applied. This ability on functions in Squad Mode.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Notahippie posted:

It's interesting reading the Tome of Excess material in the context of the poo poo happening with Exalted - the Tome of Excess could really easily have fallen into the same trap of emphasizing rape and shock bullshit in ways guaranteed to squick out anybody with social skills. That writeup looks like they did an excellent job of framing Slaanesh in ways that encourage interesting roleplaying and not just making it a bunch of sexdemons.

That pleases me greatly. My favorite heretic was a Renegade of Slaanesh, who was basically a member of the White Glove Society from Fallout: New Vegas. Everything he did was in pursuit of new and exquisite meats. His ultimate goal was to savour the flesh of a Farseer. That's also creepy Excess stuff, but it doesn't just have to be what players usually confuse it for. IE, gently caress everything in a pile of cocaine.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 6, 2013

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

WAR FOOT posted:

That pleases me greatly. My favorite heretic was a Renegade of Slaanesh, who was basically a member of the White Glove Society from Fallout: New Vegas. Everything he did was in pursuit of new and exquisite meats. His ultimate goal was to savour the flesh of a Farseer. That's also creepy Excess stuff, but it doesn't just have to be what players usually confuse it for. IE, gently caress everything in a pile of cocaine.

Joke's on him, Kroot have been doing that for years.

Doug Lombardi fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 6, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

They just eat it, they don't truly appreciate it.

Although I could imagine that guy keeping a bunch of captive Kroot and feeding them different combinations of stuff to see how it affected the flavor of their flesh.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
The Tome of Excess is pretty great and really did a fine dance around the issue of creepy neckbeard ERP fantasies. They added new Rituals and a new mechanic called Curses which are basically personal gently caress-you-in-particular rituals that require a long association with the target. FFG also added expanded rules for Infamy called Glorifying Acts, which are optional rules that are meant to emphasize how the truly devoted worshiper can be a hindrance and a help to their group. The last big thing is rules for Social Conflicts and Seduction. Seduction meaning rules to seduce an NPC away from something that they fervently believe in and become your devoted follower. Social Conflicts are a neat way to encourage roleplaying and to flesh out social confrontations beyond a single roll.

Other new things: living mount rules so you can ride a chariot or steed into battle, new rules for minions (including Horde of Chaos Minions), new archetypes (Noise Marine, Word Bearer, Pirate Prince of the Ragged Helix, and Flesh Shaper of Melancholia), an adventure path, and the other miscellaneous things that come with these kinds of books.

Such as a few new, hilarious unbalanced enemies. Eldar Harlequin Death Jesters are one of the new creatures introduced and boy howdy does it gently caress poo poo up. Its Shrieker Cannon has the traits Toxic(3), Razor Sharp, Reliable, and a new thing called Bio-Explosive. Bio-Explosive makes it so a character who suffers one or more wounds from the Toxic quality of the weapon is subject to the weapon's virulent gene-toxins. Every turn the character must pass a (-10) Toughness test or suffer an additional 1d10 damage ignoring armor/toughness. If the character takes Critical Damage because of this toxin, immediately roll 1d5+5 on Explosive Critical -Body and apply the result. A successful (-20) Medicae test is required to stop further toxin effects.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

unicr0n posted:

Found it!

When firing a Heavy weapon, the Devestator Marine inflicts 1 extra point of damage to a Horde's Magnitude for every hit. If using a weapon with the Blast Quality, he instead inflicts 1d5 extra points of damage to a Horde's Magnitude (after all other hits have been applied. This ability on functions in Squad Mode.

Just read the Living Errata and the rule for Unrelenting Devastation are different again :

“When the Devastator Marine successfully attacks and damages a Horde
with a Heavy weapon, he deals an additional 1d5 damage to the Horde’s
Magnitude. This additional damage stacks with any other additional damage
dealt to the Horde, such as damage from a Blast weapon or a Flame weapon.
This additional damage applies per attack, not per hit (so unless there are
exceptional circumstances afoot, it will only apply once per Turn). If the
attack deals damage to multiple Hordes, the Marine chooses which Horde
takes the extra damage.”

Looks like you were on the money Kingcom

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
If a character burns a fate point permanently to ignore a critical damage result that would have killed them (lost arm, then shock and death), do they also ignore the critical damage result as well (ie. they don't actually lose the arm)?

The rulebook is vague. Essentially it says that they just barely survive and are horribly wounded.

I like the idea of still taking the arm, but this player is brand new to an already established group.

How do/would you guys play it?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Burning a fate point is license for the DM to do whatever short of death or, unless you're a dick, brain damage. Take the arm.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

Burning a fate point is license for the DM to do whatever short of death or, unless you're a dick, brain damage. Take the arm.

Unless theres an obvious out I do limb-loss. I mean in 40k you can just go buy another or your inquisitor can get you one or something. Its a cool character thing that isnt as permanent as you might think.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Taking peoples' limbs and making them get sweet robot limbs is more a mark of character progression than a punishment. "Did I ever tell you why I have this sweet robot arm?" is a major part of 40k.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Alright, I'm taking it. Time for the rookie to tough it out for the rest of the mission.

I hope that he can deal with being a lefty. :getin:

...at least until he affords a replacement.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Taking peoples' limbs and making them get sweet robot limbs is more a mark of character progression than a punishment. "Did I ever tell you why I have this sweet robot arm?" is a major part of 40k.

Yeah thats a pretty important part of it yourself. With my party when we introduced a new character he didn't really feel a part of the group until he got his leg shot off. After that point he was with the rest of the group in being able to tell storys about that one time we got into trouble and....

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

As a GM I would make that call entirely based on what the situation is. I mean if the guy takes an unlucky shot at the beginning of your romp through a Space Hulk or something, taking his arm might mean several sessions where he feels like a worthless piece of baggage (especially if he is supposed to be toting a rifle or heavy weapon). On the other hand if it's past the midpoint or he is fairly functional without the arm (psyker, pistol, etc.) then I'd be happier crippling him.

I mean ultimately the point of all this is that your players are enjoying themselves. If he got killed, what would happen? Let him bring in a new character in the next session (you have found a survivor in the hulk!)? If that sort of situation, it would be dumb to take his arm and make him feel useless for several sessions when not burning the point and dying would have him back being useful and enjoying the game next time.

Basically giving up the fate point should yield better results for both character and player, is what I am saying.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
If you're feeling bad have him luck into a super good arm that isn't programmed properly so right now it sucks, but if you manage to suck up to a magos long enough they might be persuaded to activate the built in bolter/flamer/chainsword/powerclaw/all of the above.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Remind your player that they could play an Ork and just have any severed limbs be immediately reattached.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A question about Hammer of the Emperor's regimental flaws system that I may've just missed in reading the rules: Can you take multiple flaws? Like, for example, could you take Dishonoured, and then Regimental Rivalry for those jackasses that your regiment blames for its defeat?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

A question about Hammer of the Emperor's regimental flaws system that I may've just missed in reading the rules: Can you take multiple flaws? Like, for example, could you take Dishonoured, and then Regimental Rivalry for those jackasses that your regiment blames for its defeat?
You can't take duplicates of the other categories so probably not. It's also one thing that annoys me a bunch in Hammer of the Emperor, all the new regiment stuff has point costs designed for including a flaw which leaves you with a big pile of points if you add a flaw to a Core regiment and you are severely limited in your choice of Hammer content if you don't take one.

Fizziocrat
Mar 15, 2004

Night10194 posted:

RAW, I believe you can only take one Regimental Flaw, and I personally would keep it that way. It seems like the narrative power of the flaw would get watered down if you had more than one.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I can see that... but knowing myself and my group I can't imagine NOT taking a flaw.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Enentol posted:

Alright, I'm taking it. Time for the rookie to tough it out for the rest of the mission.

If you're playing Dark Heresy, give him a sweet demon arm. That talks to him, and wants things. Actually just give him a sweet demon arm anyway.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Enentol posted:

The local supplier has only left arms left. Two left arms is better than one, right? :getin:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've just read the preview, and it is awesome, but I have a question for those who have the book- can I make a Superior Horde Minion? Or if not officially RAW, would it unbalance the game too much if I begged, wheedled and pleaded for it? 'Cos that'd be so cool, and allow a Heretic that elite guard he always wanted :allears:

EDIT: Apparently me am bad reader; you can only have Lesser Minions as your Horde, baw. Well, the second part question still applies, I hope.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 8, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A lost limb is just an opportunity for improvement. Sure that Banshee Exarch lopped off my left arm at the elbow and the powerfield devastated the rest of the flesh all the way to the shoulder meaning what was left needed to be amputated... But now I have this sweet Skiitari-grade cyber-arm with a built in Micro-hellpistol in the forearm/palm and a one-shot grenade launcher in the bicep. Plus it looks stylish.

:getin:

Could be worse. The Explorator is on his third or fourth entire-body now (each one becoming stronger and tougher).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Could be worse. The Explorator is on his third or fourth entire-body now (each one becoming stronger and tougher).

It makes you wonder if they just have spares lying around.

"Oh, that old thing? I wear it when I don't care how I look."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

wiegieman posted:

No, but it doesn't take him too long to build a new body. He's basically just the Imperium's fanciest and most awesome servo-skull now, his head is fitted with suspensors and just docks to his body. He's also a Mechanicus version of Doctor Ock, and is a lot faster than his massive bulk would imply.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

kingcom posted:

Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine. afford.

Changed for accuracy.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
So with every Tome of X adding two Legion character choices and there being nine legions and only four Tomes, what will happen to the leftover?

Fate: Thousand Sons + Alpha Legion
Blood: World Eaters + Night Lords
Excess: Emperor's Children + Word Bearers
Plague: Death Guard + ???

Iron Warriors seems more likely then the Black Legion because of the whole "endurance" theme together with the Plague Marines but that would leave the biggest legion without an official character option, unless there's an Undivided book with Black Legion + Post-Heresy Traitors planned after the individual god books.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I feel I can confidently say that some kind of non-god aligned book will be released.

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Indeed. In my groups first Dark Heresy campaign, my guardsman was in a close combat with an arco-flagellant (never a good place to be). Our assassin decides to "save" me, and unload a hotshot longlas round into the close combat - misses the arco, hits me, then rolls the exact same result when he fate's the roll (our GM has nasty rules for friendly fire). He then proceeds to roll max damage with an accurate weapon and blow my right arm clean off.

Later in the campaign, my guardsman loses his right foot. One series of botched surgery rolls later, he ends up with a full right cyber-leg.

Limb replacement is one of the more fun aspects of this game system.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Asehujiko posted:

So with every Tome of X adding two Legion character choices and there being nine legions and only four Tomes, what will happen to the leftover?

Fate: Thousand Sons + Alpha Legion
Blood: World Eaters + Night Lords
Excess: Emperor's Children + Word Bearers
Plague: Death Guard + ???

Iron Warriors seems more likely then the Black Legion because of the whole "endurance" theme together with the Plague Marines but that would leave the biggest legion without an official character option, unless there's an Undivided book with Black Legion + Post-Heresy Traitors planned after the individual god books.

Wouldn't the Marines from the corebook be Black Legion? They're the melting pot of Chaos, I figured that the non-specific Marine classes represented them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Slightly Lions posted:

Wouldn't the Marines from the corebook be Black Legion? They're the melting pot of Chaos, I figured that the non-specific Marine classes represented them.

Are you saying that a Black Legion character would be a basic class, or that any basic class would necessarily be a member of the Black Legion? I assume the former because the latter makes no sense.

In that case, I agree with you, Black Legion probably don't need their own subclass.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The only other Chaos Marine group with any real amount of fluff are the Red Corsairs, so an Unaligned book could be a possibility. Of course, FFG could always make up their own renegade chapter but I doubt they'd overlook Iron Warriors.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

In my IRL group last night things started coming to a head. We've infiltrated a secret facility where two of the planet's three major crime families / political powers are performing experiments using a warp artifact that fucks with time. This effort is lead by an immensely powerful psyker and it's heretical as all get-out.

Activating the warp artifact requires a dozen or so psykers who are basically disposable daemon-host vessels and a sacrifice of several thousand regular people. Since no mere mortal can activate the device, they've summoned and bound an incredibly powerful daemon into a daemonhost, who they instruct with very carefully worded legal contracts to do their bidding.

Through a series of grossly incompetent blunders we've mostly blown our cover, though they don't yet know we were sent there by the Inquisition. My character, an arrogant adept, has been separated from the rest of the group. They were taken into custody while I managed to escape. There's an APB out for me, but since it's a huge facility most people won't recognize me.

So, being basically screwed as everyone in charge of the inescapable facility has it in for me, I decide to try my best chance of survival: a deal with the daemonhost, Arcanthus. He had appeared to us before, and sent us to aid those who summoned him when some poo poo went bad, which was how the powers that be became aware of us in the first place. I wager that since he's obviously being held against his will, we can help each other - I'll free him in exchange for him killing the people out to get me.

Arcanthus has other plans though. He tells me he actually wants to be there, and that the device needs to be returned to the warp, an order from the Lord of Change himself (ruh roh). He will help me though. I agree to alter the orders before they're read to him so he can make off with the device, and he gives me a ritual that will transfer my soul to another body with just a scroll written in my blood containing my own name, the name of my new body, affixed to something that person holds dear.

There's a catch though. The ritual requires some questionable terms. It will summon a daemon who specializes in these kinds of soul transfers. I'll need to sell my soul to him (terms yet to be revealed), and then die. The daemon will then take my soul, swaddled like a precious babe, and place it in the target body, presumably evicting its current occupant and maybe dining on the delicious homeless soul. Apparently I just have to trust that this will go totally smoothly.

But I've got a plan. The leader of this crazy operation is incredibly driven, and the device is something she's poured an immense amount of energy and resources into. I'm going to write this scroll up, glue it to the device, and conduct the ritual. When they finally find me they'll probably execute me, at which point my soul will be whisked away into her body. Then I'll be able to do whatever the hell I want, including banishing Arcanthus and dismantling the project.

Foolproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Clanpot Shake posted:

In my IRL group last night things started coming to a head. We've infiltrated a secret facility where two of the planet's three major crime families / political powers are performing experiments using a warp artifact that fucks with time. This effort is lead by an immensely powerful psyker and it's heretical as all get-out.

Activating the warp artifact requires a dozen or so psykers who are basically disposable daemon-host vessels and a sacrifice of several thousand regular people. Since no mere mortal can activate the device, they've summoned and bound an incredibly powerful daemon into a daemonhost, who they instruct with very carefully worded legal contracts to do their bidding.

Through a series of grossly incompetent blunders we've mostly blown our cover, though they don't yet know we were sent there by the Inquisition. My character, an arrogant adept, has been separated from the rest of the group. They were taken into custody while I managed to escape. There's an APB out for me, but since it's a huge facility most people won't recognize me.

So, being basically screwed as everyone in charge of the inescapable facility has it in for me, I decide to try my best chance of survival: a deal with the daemonhost, Arcanthus. He had appeared to us before, and sent us to aid those who summoned him when some poo poo went bad, which was how the powers that be became aware of us in the first place. I wager that since he's obviously being held against his will, we can help each other - I'll free him in exchange for him killing the people out to get me.

Arcanthus has other plans though. He tells me he actually wants to be there, and that the device needs to be returned to the warp, an order from the Lord of Change himself (ruh roh). He will help me though. I agree to alter the orders before they're read to him so he can make off with the device, and he gives me a ritual that will transfer my soul to another body with just a scroll written in my blood containing my own name, the name of my new body, affixed to something that person holds dear.

There's a catch though. The ritual requires some questionable terms. It will summon a daemon who specializes in these kinds of soul transfers. I'll need to sell my soul to him (terms yet to be revealed), and then die. The daemon will then take my soul, swaddled like a precious babe, and place it in the target body, presumably evicting its current occupant and maybe dining on the delicious homeless soul. Apparently I just have to trust that this will go totally smoothly.

But I've got a plan. The leader of this crazy operation is incredibly driven, and the device is something she's poured an immense amount of energy and resources into. I'm going to write this scroll up, glue it to the device, and conduct the ritual. When they finally find me they'll probably execute me, at which point my soul will be whisked away into her body. Then I'll be able to do whatever the hell I want, including banishing Arcanthus and dismantling the project.

Foolproof.

There were two options here, this and 'cleanse everything with a holy reactor explosion.'

You picked the right one.