Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Get the manager. If you move to a different apartment that's going to affect you for a long time. Every time something comes up there that you don't like, you'll be wondering what it would have been like if you had gone for the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I signed the lease to my apartment today and got the code to grab the keys out of the landlord's lockbox (the landlord is long-distance so we've done mostly everything via email except for the initial viewing, which is why I can't just get the keys from them directly) so I went out there to grab the keys and the garage door to the unit was open, the garage was still full of someone else's poo poo, with a car parked inside. It looked like they'd made no effort to pack or anything.

I'm moving in Friday. What do I do if this person hasn't moved out by the time I move in? They were supposed to be out May 28th. The landlord has hired a cleaning crew to come by Thursday before I move in, so hopefully they'll alert the landlord if this jackass hasn't gotten out.

Uh, tell the landlord right NOW! Why would you wait until Thursday?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm gonna call her tomorrow to see what's going on. For all I know the previous tenant is out and they just left a ton of poo poo and the car belonged to the local maintenance guy clearing it all out or they're just very disorganized at packing and that was their last load and the rest of the place was empty. Even though I had access to the keys I didn't go in since it looked like someone was there and I didn't want to get into a confrontation.

There are several reasonable explanations for a garage full of poo poo pre-move in so I'm not going to get really upset till Thursday I guess. It's just the nature of the stuff (hangers, laundry baskets, pillows) that has me a bit worried, if it was paint buckets and cleaning stuff and other maintenance stuff I wouldn't care but personal belongings means either someone still hasn't moved out or they left so much crap that it'll take longer to get ready for me to move in. I'm going to swing by again tomorrow as well and check the status of it.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Sock posted:

I'm moving into a new apartment on Friday and I got a call from them today saying they broke the shower/tub in the master bedroom somehow. They offered to let us move into a different apartment, however, that one is facing a school that is under construction, while the first one was in a more secluded area. They were not sure how long it would take to order a new tub and they would need someone to come in and install it after we move in.

We asked for a discount on the first month's rent, but they didn't go for it because they "used a contractor, so its not really our fault" and their manager was not there to discuss it. Its not a deal breaker, but it is inconvenient/annoying. Is it worth pursuing further with the manager, or just drop it??
I would tell them "that's fine, then you can get the contractor to pay for the discount you're giving us on the first month's rent. It's not really our fault."

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Edit: I posted this in the wrong thread

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Kind of a strange question but is there a product you guys would recommend using to clean freshly (as in three weeks ago) painted walls? Our place just had new flooring installed and there's a fair amount of dust on our walls now, so we want to take care of that tonight while we clean everything else up a bit. I've heard that simple green works pretty well, but is there anything else that might work a bit better and won't damage the new-ish paint?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Senf posted:

Kind of a strange question but is there a product you guys would recommend using to clean freshly (as in three weeks ago) painted walls? Our place just had new flooring installed and there's a fair amount of dust on our walls now, so we want to take care of that tonight while we clean everything else up a bit. I've heard that simple green works pretty well, but is there anything else that might work a bit better and won't damage the new-ish paint?
Plain water. Glossy paint cleans much better than flat. Benefit of flat is that you can repaint a small area of a wall without seeing seams. Gloss requires that you reprint the entire surface.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
e: Wrong thread.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 7, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

So I stopped by my new place on my way home from work today around 5 to move some stuff in ahead of the movers. I walk up to the front door and there's no doorknob. None of the outside doors have doorknobs. Naturally I was very :wtf: and called the landlord demanding to know why I didn't have any goddamn doorknobs. She assured me they were being replaced later tonight.

I just rolled back over there, now 8 PM, still no goddamn doorknobs.

I'm going to head back at 9:30, if there are still no doorknobs I'm calling the landlord back and pitching the biggest fit of my life, because what the hell.

I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't have doorknobs tomorrow morning besides being very very angry with my landlord.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

What is Occam's Razor??????
I'm moving into my apartment on the 15th of June (weird lease start date, I know!)

Question for all of you lonely apartment owners - Did you get cable? If you did, did you use it as much as you thought you would? Did it fill the void of having a room mate to talk to? If not, do you wish you did?

I'm trying to decide whether to skip out on cable and just do internet, or to go with the internet/cable bundle.

For the younger, undergrads who have apartments, did you find your friendships and other relationships diminish since you lived off campus?

I'm not having second guesses on living alone, or off campus, I just want to know what to expect!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I got cable, and use it a ton, but I'm a sports fan.

If I didn't watch sports, I'm not sure if it would be useful. It's also worth looking in to bundle plans. After all the fees I got AT&T to waive by signing up for both TV and Internet, it only costs $10 more a month than I would have paid for just Internet.

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah I called them (it's cox -____-) the deal they offered was both of them half price for 6 months. which is kind of an ok deal...but i'm not sold yet.

I'm up in the air, I like sports, and I would love to be able to watch sports if possible, but most of my friends live on campus and if there are any major games (any games including bruins, celtics, yankees, patriots or red sox) i could definitely watch it there.

But I just don't know if netflix would be enough!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Have you considered Hulu +? That plus Netflix is a good range of options.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well Cox also includes WatchESPN, so if you get the cox tv service, you will have access to all the espn content on your mobile devices (even if they're not connected to the cox network).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Occams taser posted:

Yeah I called them (it's cox -____-) the deal they offered was both of them half price for 6 months. which is kind of an ok deal...but i'm not sold yet.

I'm up in the air, I like sports, and I would love to be able to watch sports if possible, but most of my friends live on campus and if there are any major games (any games including bruins, celtics, yankees, patriots or red sox) i could definitely watch it there.

But I just don't know if netflix would be enough!
Do they put those games on broadcast channels? If so, you can probably pick them up using an antenna. And the HDTV antennas they have these days give you a great picture for hella cheap.

I picked mine up off of Amazon for $10; it works great. This may not apply if you're not in/near a major city, but it sounds like you are.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Regarding your worries about living on vs off campus, I had way more fun off campus. You don't have rear end in a top hat RAs breathing down your neck and you can personalize your apartment way more than a dorm room. Chances are you'll be living within a stone's throw of all your friends if it's a typical college town so it won't be THAT much more effort to see them than just walking down the hall in your dorm. I was friends with all of my neighbors in college, so socially it was like a dorm but bigger with a lot more freedom.

I got cable but honestly I could probably live without it. I hooked up a Roku to my TV so now I can stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, Pandora, etc right to my TV. It's pretty great.

Against all odds my move happened this morning. Apparently the doorknobs got installed at 2 AM and the cleaning lady is still finishing up. They forgot I was moving in today :doh:

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Do they put those games on broadcast channels? If so, you can probably pick them up using an antenna. And the HDTV antennas they have these days give you a great picture for hella cheap.

I picked mine up off of Amazon for $10; it works great. This may not apply if you're not in/near a major city, but it sounds like you are.

I'm about half an hour from providence, not sure what constitutes as near, but thanks a lot, I had no idea they even made those!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Regarding your worries about living on vs off campus

That's what most of my friends who already live off campus say, I'm not too worried really, as i'll be on campus from 9-9 (full day -______-) every day. It's mostly in the case of storms like "Nemo". I was snowed in during that and if I didn't have friends to chill with, I would have been cut off from the world (nearest verizon cell tower was down).

But I think I'm just filling my head with "what if" scenarios.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Occams taser posted:

I'm about half an hour from providence, not sure what constitutes as near, but thanks a lot, I had no idea they even made those!
Oh, I should have mentioned that you can check here to see what stations you're likely to get.

I actually get significantly more than that map indicates.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Occams taser posted:

That's what most of my friends who already live off campus say, I'm not too worried really, as i'll be on campus from 9-9 (full day -______-) every day. It's mostly in the case of storms like "Nemo". I was snowed in during that and if I didn't have friends to chill with, I would have been cut off from the world (nearest verizon cell tower was down).

It's nice when you come home from a stupid long day on campus and you can just stumble into your own room and flop into your own bed without worrying about waking up a roommate you share a room with or anything. If you're buddies with your neighbors and you get snowed in, grab some beers out of your fridge, plunk them down in the snow and go sledding while the snow keeps your beer cold! Even if you're not buddies with your neighbors, you will become buddies because everyone will be in the same boat and you'll bond over your mutual boredom.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hope this is the right place to ask for home furnishing advice? I'm a late 20s guy living with some friends and I want to make my bedroom into a nice bachelor pad/mancave kind of thing. I want to install a large bed (even though it's a small room) and a decent LED TV in there, along with the other need for desk space, bookshelves, clothes storage, etc.

Here's the current layout of my room, and a 3d rendered shot that looks uncannily unlike my actual room:

Anyway just pretend I've got a twin bed and a computer desk in there. The large windows face the street and are usually curtained off. I don't feel like posting photos, the room's a total mess at the moment.

My current thought is to put a bed (full or queen?) next to the windows and maybe mount a TV over a desk on the north side of the room. I'd like to get some more storage, that might be a good chance. Also replacing my old set of drawers and thinking of putting a wardrobe in the closet. But what would you do differently?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Can you put the desk in another room? A nice double or queen with the feet toward where the desk is and a tv on the wall would be nice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Regarding your worries about living on vs off campus, I had way more fun off campus. You don't have rear end in a top hat RAs breathing down your neck and you can personalize your apartment way more than a dorm room. Chances are you'll be living within a stone's throw of all your friends if it's a typical college town so it won't be THAT much more effort to see them than just walking down the hall in your dorm. I was friends with all of my neighbors in college, so socially it was like a dorm but bigger with a lot more freedom.

I got cable but honestly I could probably live without it. I hooked up a Roku to my TV so now I can stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, Pandora, etc right to my TV. It's pretty great.

Against all odds my move happened this morning. Apparently the doorknobs got installed at 2 AM and the cleaning lady is still finishing up. They forgot I was moving in today :doh:
Live without it. I haven't had cable service since 7/10, and I'm a giant TV junkie who keeps up with at least 11 shows. That is, without any blatant piracy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

tarepanda posted:

Can you put the desk in another room? A nice double or queen with the feet toward where the desk is and a tv on the wall would be nice.

I might be able to do without the desk, I dunno. It looks a 40" TV would be fine for the short-range viewing, even if I have the bed by the window. A minimalist bed with no headboard might be best for that.

e: I've been kind of holding on to the idea of dual-screening my desktop computer with a TV and a 22" monitor. I can't decide if this makes sense though, I could just dedicate my desktop to the TV and lose the monitor. The problem is that I want to have a large bed, a nice TV, and a good work surface and I'm not sure I can fit them all in my room with any room to spare.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 9, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a sweet bachelorette setup (it's a studio, though) and it sounds like we have similar goals. A full bed isn't huge, but it's more than big enough. Get a captain's bed or a high frame so you can store things under it. The dual-monitor setup works best for me too. Your space is limited enough it makes sense to wall-mount the flatscreen. Unless your place is bigger than it looks, though, 40" (42" class?) may be too much.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, a full bed with a few drawers would work pretty well. Overall I'm trying to improve on Ikea-type stuff, or at least disguise it so the cheap crap I buy doesn't look so cheap. :) My current thinking is a bed on the south side with the head pointing east and a nightstand next to the bed, while the TV is mounted on the north wall, maybe over a large desk? I'll replace my crappy dresser in its current position, and maybe I can stick some kind of wardrobe in the closet. Guess I'll check out the local furniture stores.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Most Ikea stuff doesn't look like cheap crap. There are certain lines that definitely do (LACK for sure), then there's midrange stuff that does if you treat it poorly (basically any fiberboard-including bookshelf), and then there's some actual real solid wood nicer stuff. I really like Ikea style so I'm probably fangirling a little bit, but if you're going go higher end anyway, you should definitely take a look at Ikea stuff you disregarded before due to its price.

I guess I'm also coming off the experience of having bought my couches from a real life furniture store, and they cost as much as the midrange Ikea sofas but they're definitely less modular (attached pillows) and you can feel the cheapness in certain areas. Just don't assume that anything at a furniture store is going to be higher end, especially if it seems like it has a really good price.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

That's fair, I like the minimal design of a lot of Ikea stuff, I'm just hoping to get away from a modular dorm roomy look. Ikea in particular wants $200 to deliver all this furniture, which maybe sort of makes sense if I go whole hog and buy new shelves, dresser, wardrobe, and everything from them. I may end up going with Ikea yet, I'm not liking that much of the inexpensive furniture at Amazon or Overstock.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been pricing things out, looks like a nice round $3K if I buy everything I want right now. Maybe I shouldn't do that. :xd:

There's an Ikea a little over 100 miles away, I guess I could drive there and get what I want trucked home. But maybe just the core stuff, I can wait on the wardrobe and tracked lighting.

Bonus question! What's a good source of artwork for walls? Things like art.com are expensive.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been pricing things out, looks like a nice round $3K if I buy everything I want right now. Maybe I shouldn't do that. :xd:

There's an Ikea a little over 100 miles away, I guess I could drive there and get what I want trucked home. But maybe just the core stuff, I can wait on the wardrobe and tracked lighting.

Bonus question! What's a good source of artwork for walls? Things like art.com are expensive.

Yeah Ikea shipping is absurd. Have you tried Wayfair & Hayneedle? They have a range of products and I think Wayfair has free shipping. I don't like buying furniture sight unseen though... I have done so and of course it's always cheaper quality than you hope. Wait for sales and coupons, anyway. You can get coupons to sites like Wayfair and Overstock without much effort.

Artwork: If you like kitschy landscapes and still lifes: thrift stores, antique stores, yard sales. If you like a little more modern or representational-non-kitschy, I've actually seen a lot of things I've fancied at Target and Marshalls/TJMaxx.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've moving in with my girlfriend at the end of week, but I need to store a lot of my stuff until we have the money to get a bigger place, which might not be for a few months at least. I have a place in her town lined up for storage, but a couple of quick questions:

--I'm thinking that for a 1br apartment's worth of stuff (queen-size bed, disassembled frame, couch etc.) I was thinking that a 10ft x 10ft unit would be enough space. Does that sound right to you all?

--Any good housekeeping tips for how to actually store things? I was helping my sister move some things a few weeks ago and she had a plastic sheet on the bottom of her storage unit, where could I pick up something like that?

--The storage place says that I need to buy my own lock for the unit. Any recommendations?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It's just shy of three weeks to my move and I haven't even started packing anything yet out of an irrational fear of needing stuff I pack again later. I'm so doomed :ohdear:

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

I'm moving into my apartment next weekend, but I just got a call from my landlord that I can move in at any point between now and then!

Good thing I'm only 5-10 minutes away from there.

All my utilities are set to start on the 15th, is there anything I can really do with my apartment before then?

(decorating is a no go until the 15th as well due to monetary issues)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

It's just shy of three weeks to my move and I haven't even started packing anything yet out of an irrational fear of needing stuff I pack again later. I'm so doomed :ohdear:
I did all of my packing in three weeks, and I was pretty lazy about it, honestly. While I didn't have a ton of stuff, I had more than enough (about enough to fill a 12-foot U-Haul; we did it in two trips just because it was a hella short move, and it was easier). And this was by myself; I had help for the actual move, but when my buddies showed up, *everything* was boxed up and ready to go; no last-minute stuff.

If it helps, start by going through clothing, getting rid of stuff you don't want, and packing up all the off-season stuff. Once you get the ball rolling, things get a lot easier.

Pro-tip: don't pack the first aid kit/medical supplies until the very end. It is hella easy to cut yourself and feel like an idiot for not having easy access to a band-aid.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Our hand-me-down furniture from the in laws is about done, and way too small for our current needs. I've been looking around and there's almost nothing local that's worth buying. There's one couch carried by the local stores that's comfy and contemporary, but literally everyone I know has the same one and I'd rather not buy it. I've been looking around and found one at Rooms to Go that isn't bad, but I'm not crazy about leather.

What I'm wondering is:

1) Are Ikea couches worth looking at? We don't have one local, but there's one in Dallas. I've never bought anything from them before.
2) Are there any places in Dallas that goons could recommend looking at? I like contemporary, but value comfort a lot and am not looking to break the bank.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've had a Karlstad for the last year and a half and I love it. We've changed the cover once, which turns it into a brand new couch. It's really durable.

The biggest thing I notice comparing to regular furniture store couches is that the Ikea ones are much more compact. Not that they can seat less or something (I have the L shaped couch and we can fit 7 or 8 people on it) but it doesn't waste a bunch of space for nothing. Furniture store couches seem huge in comparison to the amount of seating they can provide.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

I've had a Karlstad for the last year and a half and I love it. We've changed the cover once, which turns it into a brand new couch. It's really durable.

The biggest thing I notice comparing to regular furniture store couches is that the Ikea ones are much more compact. Not that they can seat less or something (I have the L shaped couch and we can fit 7 or 8 people on it) but it doesn't waste a bunch of space for nothing. Furniture store couches seem huge in comparison to the amount of seating they can provide.

Seconding this. We got a karlstad and got it home on top of my compact car but it comfortably seats three and just needs a change of legs to give it a totally different look.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Citizen Z posted:

1) Are Ikea couches worth looking at? We don't have one local, but there's one in Dallas. I've never bought anything from them before.

I just picked up an Ektorp and it's actually really comfortable and sturdy. The price tag - about $500 depending on what type of/color cover you want - is really friendly and I've heard stories about people keeping these couches for ages without even the slightest decrease in comfort or look (new and or easily washable covers helps that, too).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Would this layout work? The main problem is that there's not much room in front of the TV or on the east side of the bed, but in principle not that much room is needed? I don't know, this seems to maximize the possibilities of a captain's bed, at least.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Apparently my lease required 60 days notice that we weren't going to renew. The landlord is withholding the security deposit on the grounds that we didn't tell her that we wouldn't renew. Is this legal in Massachusetts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Apparently my lease required 60 days notice that we weren't going to renew. The landlord is withholding the security deposit on the grounds that we didn't tell her that we wouldn't renew. Is this legal in Massachusetts?

According to this tenants' rights site, generally, no. The security deposit is for damage/wear & tear or unpaid rent. But they also say here that if you have a "self-extending" lease (i.e. if it says something like "this lease will continue after the above term until either the lessor or the lessee gives X days notice") then you're stuck paying for another year/month/whatever term unless the landlord agrees to end the lease.

I figured there would be some sort of state landlord & tenant mediation board or something like we have here, but this is the closest I can find.