Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I've got a feeling that if people just keep calling it sea lion, it could stick as a kind of nickname.
Speaking of Sea Lion, Core Technologies Overview. Not sure if that's supposed to be public but it is! (for now at least)

I said come in! posted:

I'm going to just continue to call it Mac like I always have, and most people do. Mavericks is kinda a dumb name, and i'm sad that they ditched the big cats naming scheme finally. They least they could have done was go with puppies. Mac OS X German Shepard.
Well Maverick was a German Shepard :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why not OS X Big Sur?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Why not OS X Big Sur?

That could be 10.10

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Has anyone managed to make a Mavericks restore disk using the usual method of creating a disk from the .dmg inside the App Store download? It's not working for me. I managed to do an upgrade install, but I'd like to attempt a clean one.

Edit: I guess now booting off of the restore partition will let me do a clean install, but I suppose my original question still stands.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

grmartin posted:

Have you ever tried Google Picasa? It's a pretty great piece of free software targeted towards the consumer market for photo (and video file) management and organization, and it's arguably more powerful/straightforward than iPhoto. It acts to catalog and organize the photos you specify, either from pre-specified folders to continually scan for image files, or for the files you drop into it manually; it doesn't move files from their original locations on disk unless you ask it to do so (you could even store the files in Dropbox and use Picasa to browse and organize them if you like). It maintains metadata and folder structure and can back your photos up to the Google cloud by storing them in Google+ either privately (by default) or publicly, where you can access them through the Google+ app for iOS or through any web browser; it can also detect duplicate photos. You can sort by date created, date modified, file size, file name, or dominant color in the photo; you can also create tags and apply them to photos to search more easily (I still think it could be better in terms of ease of grouping photos automatically, though). Being Google software, it's extremely easy to share photos as long as you want to do it through Google+ (or through email). However, the software has an open API, so if you'd like to add something like the ability to upload to Facebook from inside the software, a plugin developed by Facebook exists to add a button to do just that. It's not perfect software, but it's a good replacement for iPhoto.

I love Picasa on Windows but unfortunately it still has no Retina support on OS X and looks like complete rear end on rMBP. But for anyone that's not an issue for, I highly recommend it as a photo viewer and archiver.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Did we know if the new Safari is going to be available for Mountain Lion? Is it only coming out for Mavericks? The one password thing is really lucrative for me to make Safari my default browser.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I've never used an Apple DP before -- does it update from DP to DP via updates, or do I have to reinstall?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Sinestro posted:

I've never used an Apple DP before -- does it update from DP to DP via updates, or do I have to reinstall?

In recent history, usually you just suck down updates from Software Update like it's a production OS. Occasionally you may need a reinstall.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
For Mac, how is iWork compared to Office and Google Derive now a days? I mostly need just spreadsheets and word documents, and nothing really fancy. Google drive does already cover most of my needs (albeit kind of bare boned), but for $20 each iWork doesn't seem that bad. Does it handle converting to and from Office seamlessly?

I do already have iWork for my iPad as well.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Civil posted:

Now that they're on (or soon will be) OS X 10.9, what will they call the next release?

OS 11?

OS XI?

OS X 10.10?

They've kind of painted themselves into a corner.

They don't need to do point numbers anymore. I think they did it on purpose. Check out how often they use 10.9 on this page: http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/ (they only use it in the legalese poo poo at the bottom)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm a bit surprised Mavericks won't make it in time for back to school. Maybe the rumors of engineers being pulled off of OS X in order to get iOS 7 into shape were true.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm a bit surprised Mavericks won't make it in time for back to school. Maybe the rumors of engineers being pulled off of OS X in order to get iOS 7 into shape were true.

Leopard didn't and Snow Leopard didn't, for what it's worth.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Only registered members can see post attachments!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wonder what the hardware requirements will be for Mavs. I'm not sure what the next most recent hardware cutoff is after 64-bit firmware, and I don't think they'll cut off anything that doesn't have Sandy Bridge or newer yet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sockser posted:

Leopard didn't and Snow Leopard didn't, for what it's worth.
I'm pretty sure that's before Macs became the #1 laptop for college students, though. Apple understands how important the BTS season is now and has put a concerted effort toward getting 10.7 and 10.8 in time for it.

I guess they figure it won't hurt sales at all if Mavericks is late. Students still need laptops.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

carry on then posted:

Wonder what the hardware requirements will be for Mavs. I'm not sure what the next most recent hardware cutoff is after 64-bit firmware, and I don't think they'll cut off anything that doesn't have Sandy Bridge or newer yet.

There were reasons for those requirements, as you alluded to. I see no reason for Apple to move the bar any further though. I would bet the requirements will stay the same for at least another few years.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Ran Mavericks on a 17-inch, Early 2011 modal for a few hours, performance wise it was fine. Until someone finds out how to do a clean install I'll have to stick with 10.8.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I'm pretty sure that's before Macs became the #1 laptop for college students, though. Apple understands how important the BTS season is now and has put a concerted effort toward getting 10.7 and 10.8 in time for it.

I guess they figure it won't hurt sales at all if Mavericks is late. Students still need laptops.

Fall is September-Octoberish for Apple, right? So if they use like 2 months for the 'upgrade to Mavericks free if you buy now' thing it'll work?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I think I asked this about Mountain Lion and didn't get the answer I was hoping for, but (fingers crossed) with the Spaces revamp for 10.9 I'm hoping this works properly... Can someone with 10.9 do me a favor and test this? (Please adapt instructions to the new OS as appropriate!)

1. Uncheck "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for that application" in Mission Control System Preferences.
2. Assign Finder to "None" (no particular Space/Desktop).
3. Open at least one Finder window in Desktop #1.
4. Switch to Desktop #2 and make sure there are no Finder windows open there.
5. Switch to any other app besides Finder.
6. Click on Finder in the dock.

Result you SHOULD get: Finder becomes active in your current space (obeying setting from step 1).
Result I fear you will get: You are whisked back to Desktop #1 and the open Finder window there.

Thanks...

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 11, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

For Mac, how is iWork compared to Office and Google Derive now a days? I mostly need just spreadsheets and word documents, and nothing really fancy. Google drive does already cover most of my needs (albeit kind of bare boned), but for $20 each iWork doesn't seem that bad. Does it handle converting to and from Office seamlessly?

I do already have iWork for my iPad as well.
Seamless converting (as always) depends on the document. I've had iWork handle stuff better than Office, other times I've had to use Office, it just really varies. Since you already have the iPad one, you might have a sense of how it works, so basically the Mac one is a super duper version in comparison. Just a lot more controls and options and stuff to fine tune things whereas the iPad one is limited in a lot of ways. As you get more complex you could end up with layouts that don't look right on the iPad though (like I've done a menu with fixed layouts in Pages), but for text like a letter/paper it's pretty solid.

Back to Office compatibility, I think the biggest weakness/annoyance with iWork is working with Office stuff because it doesn't let you save back as an Office doc by default. Like if you open a Word doc in Pages, it'll import it into a new Pages doc. After editing or whatever, you have to manually save it as a Word doc. Granted it's a checkbox in the dialog, but still annoying if you just want to open a doc, edit, and keep as a doc. Understandable considering the possible compatibility issues, but still annoying.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Choadmaster posted:

I think I asked this about Mountain Lion and didn't get the answer I was hoping for, but (fingers crossed) with the Spaces revamp for 10.9 I'm hoping this works properly... Can someone with 10.9 do me a favor and test this? (Please adapt instructions to the new OS as appropriate!)
I'd tell you, but 10.9 is under NDA.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I must have tuned this out during the keynote (if they mentioned it) but Safari basically has built-in ClickToPlugin in Mavericks:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

Back to Office compatibility, I think the biggest weakness/annoyance with iWork is working with Office stuff because it doesn't let you save back as an Office doc by default. Like if you open a Word doc in Pages, it'll import it into a new Pages doc. After editing or whatever, you have to manually save it as a Word doc. Granted it's a checkbox in the dialog, but still annoying if you just want to open a doc, edit, and keep as a doc. Understandable considering the possible compatibility issues, but still annoying.

That's the first thing I turn on in OO.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

I must have tuned this out during the keynote (if they mentioned it) but Safari basically has built-in ClickToPlugin in Mavericks:

Smart ClickToPlugin too. Off to the side? Probably not what you want to run. In the middle? You're probably going to run it anyway.

It'll be neat if their Chrome counterparts did this too.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Essentially it kills all crappy flash ads. Fat chance that Google would include anything like that in Chrome.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
They allow extensions like AdBlock+, which essentially does the same thing.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
I need some help saving data from my corrupt WD 2TB external hdd. Anyone used Data Rescue 3?

I ran disk utility repair on the drive and got a message about B-tree nod size being hosed. I searched for solutions and tried diskwarrior, testdisk + pdisk to rewrite the partition... no go, the drive still wouldn't mount.

Finally I found Data Rescue 3 and I've been running a deep scan for 14 hours now. It seems to work nicely and reports to have found a shitload of files. But when the scan is done I need to recover the data to a hdd with enough space, and I have none. Do I need to leave the app and external hdd running while waiting for a new drive? It will take a couple of days before I get the new hdd.

thanks for any help!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

People who are frustrated by OS X's SMB2 implementation might get a bit of love from Mavericks: SMB2 is now the default file sharing protocol instead of AFP. Hopefully that means SMB2 will be a bit more robust in its implementation.

Source @ Ars Technica

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

FlashBangBob posted:

They allow extensions like AdBlock+, which essentially does the same thing.

There's a big difference between allowing a plugin and building in.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

There's a big difference between allowing a plugin and building in.

See also: Chrome and Do Not Track.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SWSP and other developer type people that were trying to clean install the Mavericks preview, I found some instructions on making a flash drive: http://www.mactrast.com/2013/06/how...veloper-preview. I'll give it a shot and see if I can get my VM to start up off the flash drive.

Edit: It boots and the installer is like the older Snow Leopard DVDs rather than the recovery partition/ESD with Lion/ML. Take everything with a grain of salt at this point as I suspect the retail release will be back to the current method of deployment. Pretty sure everything else is under NDA.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 12, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I actually hope Apple cuts more models from the Mavericks-ready list of Macs at GM time; Mountain Lion runs slow as poo poo on 2007 machines even though some are approved.

Both perceptually AND computationally; I have two identical Minis, one running Lion and the other running ML, running the same distributed projects, and the ML mini averages 10-15% fewer work units.

I'm not saying older models should be discounted outright but IMHO Apple needs to consider not just compatibility but usability even more than they do now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

I'm not saying older models should be discounted outright but IMHO Apple needs to consider not just compatibility but usability even more than they do now.

Oh they do. Someone who installs a new OS on an older computer and isn't happy with the experience will be more motivated to buy a new computer.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

I'd tell you, but 10.9 is under NDA.

Make me install it myself why don't you... :arghfist:

I guess now booting off of the restore partition will let me do a clean install

Eternally stuck on "signing in to app store..." :arghfist::arghfist: Time to check out Mercurious' link.

Edit: For those following the instructions at that link:
A) The step to "Copy BaseSystem.dmg somewhere convenient" is totally unnecessary.
B) The steps to show/hide invisible files just to drag BaseSystem.dmg into Disk Utility is pretty much unnecessary too. Just type in the path to the BaseSystem image in the source field when doing the restore: "/Volumes/Install OS X ESD/BaseSystem.dmg"

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 12, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

People who are frustrated by OS X's SMB2 implementation might get a bit of love from Mavericks: SMB2 is now the default file sharing protocol instead of AFP. Hopefully that means SMB2 will be a bit more robust in its implementation.

Source @ Ars Technica

Sadly it is broken as all gently caress on my workplace's DFS and SMB Windows Server shares :(

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

That's wonderful. Along with the password auto-generator, they're taking care of 90% of the stuff I do to my parents computers to improve their performance and protect their logins.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Essentially it kills all crappy flash ads. Fat chance that Google would include anything like that in Chrome.

Chrome has click to plugin built in. Check the settings page.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Binary Badger posted:

I actually hope Apple cuts more models from the Mavericks-ready list of Macs at GM time; Mountain Lion runs slow as poo poo on 2007 machines even though some are approved.

Both perceptually AND computationally; I have two identical Minis, one running Lion and the other running ML, running the same distributed projects, and the ML mini averages 10-15% fewer work units.

I remember about 2 years ago, someone I worked with got really irrationally angry that they don't supply updates to iTunes for their PPC G4 laptop.

I guess largely letting them run a chuggier OS on their outdated machine is part of a plan because then people like this will whine that their computer is too slow and go buy a new one. It's a bit like game system requirements, you can run it on the minimum they put on the box but you definitely don't want to.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

the_lion posted:

letting them run a chuggier OS on their outdated machine is part of a plan

I guess either way it's always part of a plan: If it doesn't run the latest OS, it's part of a plan to make them buy something new in order to have the new features, and if it does, it's part of a plan to show them how slow it is on their obsolete machines. I guess the makers of operating systems just can't win against that kind of logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Ethereal posted:

Chrome has click to plugin built in. Check the settings page.

Yes, I use it myself. It's not smart like the new one in Safari.