Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nordick posted:

Civil War's debut album is out! :toot: And it is good poo poo. They have their own sound and it's nice for a change to hear some good basic heavy metal that isn't straight-up retro stuff. Also, Nils Patrik Johansson. :swoon: God drat that guy's voice.

The problem now is that White Wizzard's new album is also out, and I can't listen to both simultaneously.

There is so much Dio worship going on here that any self-respecting metalhead should love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hammer Floyd posted:

There is so much Dio worship going on here that any self-respecting metalhead should love this.
Yeah, as I've said before it's just absurd how much Johansson can sound like Dio. And not like a cheap clone either, because loving hell the pipes that guy has.

Speaking of good pipes, the new vocalist for White Wizzard is pretty drat good as well. And so is the album. This and the Civil War are gonna tide me over for quite a while.

Oh, and I love the cover art. It's just so wonderfully garish and absurd. That neon green. :allears:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Defiant Sally posted:

The new Kalmah owns. I like this more than 12 Gauge already. Also the new Amon Amarth comes out in 2 weeks. TWO WEEKS.

New Orphaned Land too. Gonna be a good month.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
drat, I had no idea Orphaned Land had a new one coming so soon. I just knew they were on tour. Now I'm excited.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Orphaned Land I'm much less excited about than their last. The video they made a week ago or so put me to sleep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsPb1-uPIic. And I want to not be put to sleep :colbert:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've been listening to the new Kalmah album quite a bit today. I really like it, but what stands out is that it really sounds nothing like Kalmah of the past. They Will Return is my favorite album of theirs, and it's disappointing to see them sort of abandoning the neat melodies and riffs that made those older albums loving cool.

That said, this album wasn't a misfire at all. I'm not sure I'd classify it melodeath, but I do like it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Houseplant posted:

Orphaned Land I'm much less excited about than their last. The video they made a week ago or so put me to sleep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsPb1-uPIic. And I want to not be put to sleep :colbert:

The songs they've released (if you preordered they've been sending out youtube links every so often) haven't really wowed me either, but I could say that about several tracks on their good albums and not be doing justice to the sum of their parts.

Of it could just be boring, who knows?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
You can stream the new Scale the Summit here. http://www.decibelmagazine.com/feat...ecibelMagazine+

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It also came out today and it's easily their best album to me.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
New Ego Fall dropped. Totally didn't know it was coming out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vaKZosobho

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Overall a really great album. I think some individual songs on The Collective and Carving Desert Canyons were better, but this might be their most solid album yet.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Let's talk about Books about metal!!
Lately I've been devouring a bunch of books about heavy metal, its history, etc., since I'm writing a paper on the topic. DO you have any good recommendations? These are the ones that I've found the most useful (and 1 that is just pretty)

The first two are books that I just mentioned this in the "stuff you just bought" thread, but I have to mention it here too.

Louder Than Hell: The Definitive History of Heavy Metal

Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
I was afraid that this one was going to be mostly about SATANISM and corrupting young minds, etc., but it's actually a great investigation about the whole scene. Yes, as the cover suggests, church burnings are mentioned, just like Varg v. Euronymous. :P

Iron Man: My Journey through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath

Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal

On Board Flight 666 (this one is not so much for the paper, but simply because it's so loving pretty)
As an amateur concert photographer who will never be nearly as good as this man, his photos fill me with awe and jealousy. An amazing book

Run for Cover: The Art of Derek Riggs
The artist behind Iron Maiden's Eddie. If you go to the "new" section, he sells them directly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've also used Sound of the Beast as a source for essays before and it's pretty useful. Christe gets some genres totally wrong though (legacy metal? What the gently caress?).

Heavy Metal Islam is a very interesting look at what it's like to be a metal fan or musician in the Middle East, with a focus on certain bands in each country. Off the top of my head it covers Iran (Acrassicauda), Egypt (Hate Suffocation) and Israel (Orphaned Land).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've also used Sound of the Beast as a source for essays before and it's pretty useful. Christe gets some genres totally wrong though (legacy metal? What the gently caress?).

Heavy Metal Islam is a very interesting look at what it's like to be a metal fan or musician in the Middle East, with a focus on certain bands in each country. Off the top of my head it covers Iran (Acrassicauda), Egypt (Hate Suffocation) and Israel (Orphaned Land).

The Sheikh's Batmobile has a section on the Egyptian metal scene too. It's not a very well-written book, though, despite covering interesting subject matter.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dont forget about True Norwegian Black Metal by Peter Beste

Some amazing pictures captured in there in a GIANT book (14.3 x 11.5 x 0.9 inches).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Robert Walser's Running With The Devil: Power, Gender, and Madness in Heavy Metal Music is interesting, if a little outdated since it was written 20 years ago. The concepts still hold true though, and definitely something more informative than the press release type of stuff which make up the bulk of writing on metal. There's also Deena Weinstein's book, but that's even more outdated, though that Canadian doofus who pronounces NWOBHM as an actual word had her in that documentary he did a couple years ago for VH1.

Both of those are definitely products of their time and rely too heavily on metal's prominence within the larger culture as somewhat legitimately transgressive, though rap had already superseded it by the time both of those books were published.

As far as PR-style material goes, Albert Mudrian's Choosing Death is probably the most well-written and in-depth, though nothing anyone already familiar with the bigger 90s death metal bands doesn't already know.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Black Sabbath, a new album at last? at least?

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qopoot2_Fc
4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmbEQcuGUQ4
5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw32fVrBVgg
6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gae6UZrF5_Y

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I listened to Sabbath's album the other day and was pleasantly surprised by it. Pretty chill groovy poo poo

edit: and just got myself to finally listen to the new Megadeth... but now I'm just confused and scared for their future.. where's the thrash?

Varg fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 13, 2013

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Non Serviam posted:

Let's talk about Books about metal!!
Lately I've been devouring a bunch of books about heavy metal, its history, etc., since I'm writing a paper on the topic. DO you have any good recommendations? These are the ones that I've found the most useful (and 1 that is just pretty)

The book Swedish Death Metal is really good, even if you've been into it since the beginning. It gives you the back stories behind bands like Dismember, Entombed, Grave, etc and how all the members of these bands basically grew up together and had a really incestuous scene when it all first started. Out of all the music books I've read this was one of the most informative and entertaining, especially if you try and find some of the REALLY early poo poo they talk about. If a band existed in sweden in the 80s or 90s they're most likely in it even if they never recorded fuckall.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/swedish-death-metal-daniel-ekeroth/1102219041?ean=9780979616310

The Celtic Frost/Hellhammer book was pretty good too. It's a good look into what starting a band as idiot teenagers is like, in a scene that's still in infancy. Only Death Is Real I think it's called.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

If you have never checked it out, http://www.progmetalzone.com/ is a pretty great website for keeping up to date on that particular genre of metal (this includes death/doom/etc.), and has lead to me finding some amazing music I would have never heard in a million years.

Votum - Harvest Moon that came out in Febuary for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a09404E5_Q

Durendal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 14, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Hahahahahahahahaha

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am flying up to KC for the September 7th Iron Maiden/Megadeth Concert. Anyone else going to that? Got me a GA ticket for the pit.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I wouldn't really put too much stock in Lords of Chaos, unless you really like Moynihans fanboy'ish worship of Varg.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Misogynist posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Reminds me of Elvenking but less folk and not funny.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Misogynist posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Hey bro, don't power metal shame. :smith:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Durendal posted:

Hey bro, don't power metal shame. :smith:
I'm not power metal shaming! There's just something delightfully awkward about this video. The singer is some hideous mistake of a chimera formed when Tony Kakko's creepy smile met Ryan Seacrest's creepy hair.

Did anyone tell these guys they were filming a music video before they got dressed in the morning?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 14, 2013

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Misogynist posted:

I'm not power metal shaming! There's just something delightfully awkward about this video. The singer is some hideous mistake of a chimera formed when Tony Kakko's creepy smile met Ryan Seacrest's creepy hair.

Did anyone tell these guys they were filming a music video before they got dressed in the morning?

Hahah I was thinking the same thing. Dude just doesn't look right, great set of pipes though.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

I wouldn't really put too much stock in Lords of Chaos, unless you really like Moynihans fanboy'ish worship of Varg.

Pretty much this. A fun read at best, not really an accurate history though.

This is terrible and you should be ashamed.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Not Very Metal posted:

Pretty much this. A fun read at best, not really an accurate history though.

This is terrible and you should be ashamed.

My taste in music is unmatched* thank you very much. :colbert:

*at being terrible

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Last night I saw (Geoff Tate's) Queensryche performing Operation: Mindcrime in it's entirety. While it was great to see one of my favorite albums ever played live, the entire band was full of 40-something dudes who wanted to look TUFF playing this 80's metal. All dressed in leather, with the most pained "THESE POWER CHORDS ARE CAUSING ME GREAT PAIN" faces.

Also, Geoff Tate is one ugly dude.

I really want to see Todd La Torre's Queensryche now :(

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SgtScruffy posted:

I really want to see Todd La Torre's Queensryche now :(

Supposedly they're pretty good, even if La Torre kinda looks like normal-sized Peter Dinklage.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

comes along bort posted:

Supposedly they're pretty good, even if La Torre kinda looks like normal-sized Peter Dinklage.

The only I'd heard of them was the videos back when they were touring as an almost-tribute band before they fired Geoff Tate, and it sounded like Queensryche did in 1987 and only played Empire and before - which I'm absolutely fine with.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
There's a video floating around of him taking some audience member's phone and filming the band for a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcMllZqxFE

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

Also, Geoff Tate is one ugly dude.

If you painted Geoff Tate blue he'd be a dead ringer for the genie from Aladdin.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Hulk Krogan posted:

If you painted Geoff Tate blue he'd be a dead ringer for the genie from Aladdin.

He looked like a sickly character from a Tim and Eric sketch.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am flying up to KC for the September 7th Iron Maiden/Megadeth Concert. Anyone else going to that? Got me a GA ticket for the pit.

:hfive: I'm driving down 3 hours but I've got family there so it'll be a nice weekend.
I have never been to a show of this kind of size. Like, there are actual seats, that aren't at a bar. It's all very intimidating. Looking forward to it, although I have heard exactly 1 song by Megadeth before so I don't know what to expect there.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I was wondering what Samoth was involved in these days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0gfO2BuEVw

:nws: because your boss probably doesn't want to see dead rotting poo poo.

Sounds pretty loving good.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
First impression: This sounds like blackened Vader. Good poo poo.

In other news, nordic metal made it to The Wall Street Journal. Surprisingly interesting read, actually.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gils posted:

I have heard exactly 1 song by Megadeth before so I don't know what to expect there.

Don't expect much. Dave can't write music anymore and he's turned into a crazy teabagger :freep:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Plus the one Megadeth album worth listening to likely won't get any songs in the set.