Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Qwo posted:

Is there something I can mod into the game to seriously prohibit AI blobbing? How does CK2+ do it?

CK2+ reduces levy sizes based on your realm's size, so the HRE gets say 15% of it's levies while a smaller realm gets 100%. This stops it from being a giant empire steamroll every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Demiurge4 posted:

How much is Constantinople worth? Venice usually nets a nice 50 gold for the capitol.

Constantinople is worth fuckloads, usually over 100. It's easily the best province I've found for raiding, though it does take a lot longer to siege due to the Theodosian Walls.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

Yes, and I would appreciate any help anyone offers for events and junk. Help me it's so lonely
What do you mean by "and junk"? Do you still need cultural namesets? Flags? Little icons for the religions? Words of encouragement?

Also you better keep the wargaming event in.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Thanqol posted:

CK2+ reduces levy sizes based on your realm's size, so the HRE gets say 15% of it's levies while a smaller realm gets 100%. This stops it from being a giant empire steamroll every time.
This sounds perfect, although I'm glancing through the CK2+ files and I'm not sure what files specifically govern these values? Anyone know?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

What do you mean by "and junk"? Do you still need cultural namesets? Flags? Little icons for the religions? Words of encouragement?

Also you better keep the wargaming event in.

Yes, that stuff. I've filled in the map, given flags to about half the map, but events are still default, nearly everyone is still a family-less placeholder, so on.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

Yes, that stuff. I've filled in the map, given flags to about half the map, but events are still default, nearly everyone is still a family-less placeholder, so on.

Care to send me more details? I'm too cheap for PMs here, but I use the same name on the Paradox forums and I think my mailbox there is clear enough for now.

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"
Speaking of retinues, I've been playing a Songhey -> Mali game, and Mali's unique retinue is light infantry. :shepicide: Should I even bother investing in the buildings, or just spam heavy infantry?

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Yeah, I can do some events and stuff. PM me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I've been having trouble trying to get invasions working and all my troops get pissed off and leave. I've been playing as Jyllihghghbhhbhad and am allied into the fight against Northumberland and its allies, one of whom I'm trying to invade. Does that prevent me from declaring an invasion somehow?

I just started a game as them this morning. If you wanna cream do this (I assume you have the beta patch, otherwise this will be even simpler): Ignore Britain, let Ivar and White shirt take what is theirs. Take the King of Denmark Ambition (this is important with Beta patch as you only get one subjugate cb outside of this ambition), paste the other half of Denmark and become King or whatever. Raid for a bit, keeping an eye Bjorn Ironside's army size as he conquers Sweden for you. When you think you can easily crush his army, declare subjugation war on him. You'll have 2 holy sites and a pretty big Kingdom. You could probably set a councillor in the other Norse Holy Site so you can grab that too, or you can watch Lotharingia or east Francia implode and try take their holy sites (difficult unless you have a crushing advantage because it takes a fair bit to get 100 warscore and they have powerful allies). You're probably too big to do an invasion by this point, but there is nothing large enough to make doing an invasion worth it starting from Denmark imo.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What the gently caress. I think France just swore Fealty to the Byzantines.

The Byzantines that had maybe 12 provinces stretched along the coast of Croatia and Iberia. :psyduck:

I even checked out the Emperor to see what claim he had on it but couldn't find any.

Edit: On second glance, it looks like he was some random Baron in the Byzantine Empire who somehow ended up the heir to France.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 11, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hazmat Sam posted:

Speaking of retinues, I've been playing a Songhey -> Mali game, and Mali's unique retinue is light infantry. :shepicide: Should I even bother investing in the buildings, or just spam heavy infantry?

I started a Mali game for a few decades, but then saw the Morrocco caliphate north of me was able to summon like 25,000 troops to my 2,500, and I just kinda said, 'welp', and threw in the towel. I guess the name of the game would just be investing and building up for a long, long, long time and hoping to jump on the north when they're weak, but getting across the desert one province/war at a time just seems really grueling.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

There's a thread for it :shepface:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

And I've even commented in it already! :suicide:

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 11, 2013

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

00_religions.txt in the religions folder, then add "allow_looting = yes" to your desired religion. I agree with you on looting too: Wiz is right in that it's too powerful, but looting is what makes Norse Pagans worth playing. Otherwise, I'd rather play other characters.

It's a good thing Wiz is cool with people changing around his mods!

vvv: :zaeed:

Tried this, and now I can only loot when I take successfully siege something. Is it supposed to work like that, or is there a way to get it to working like in vanilla.

Here's what I got:
code:
norse_pagan_reformed = {
		graphical_culture = norsegfx

icon = 20
		heresy_icon = 21

color = { 0.75 0.75 0.75 }
		god_names = {
			GOD_THOR GOD_THE_THUNDERER GOD_THE_ALLFATHER GOD_THE_ODIN GOD_FREY GOD_TYR
		}

unit_modifier = {
			levy_size = 0.3

key = "OFF_RELIGION"
		}

crusade_name = GREAT_HOLY_WAR
		scripture_name = THE_SAGAS
		priests_can_marry = yes
                allow_viking_invasion = yes # Allows the "Prepare Invasion" diplo action
		allow_looting = yes
		allow_rivermovement = yes
		can_call_crusade = yes
		female_temple_holders = yes

short_reign_opinion_year_mult = 3 # The default is 2

aggression = 1.5 # AI aggression factor

max_consorts = 3

religious_clothing_head = 3
		religious_clothing_priest = 3

}		

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
CK2+ bug: Whenever I open the Zoastrian religious panel the game instantly crashes to desktop. Somewhat frustrating, to say the least.

For a few seconds before it crashes, one of the portraits above the holy site is completely blacked out. Might have something to do with it.

Hazmat Sam
Dec 25, 2010

The dead do not "get high"

Fintilgin posted:

I started a Mali game for a few decades, but then saw the Morrocco caliphate north of me was able to summon like 25,000 troops to my 2,500, and I just kinda said, 'welp', and threw in the towel. I guess the name of the game would just be investing and building up for a long, long, long time and hoping to jump on the north when they're weak, but getting across the desert one province/war at a time just seems really grueling.

There are two tricks for this:
1. The Sultanate of Africa and the Umayyids constantly try to steal their poo poo. opportunism can get you pretty far. You'll eventually fight Super-africa when they grab Mauritania, but Songhey's starting duke has like 19 intrigue, and between that and the culture difference opinion penalties you should be able to clustfuck the area pretty easily.
2. The AI doesn't know about pagan defense bonuses, and the southernmost province in Fez starts out West African. That won't help you much in any defense against them retaking other land, 9ifyou even take one province other then the de jure Timbuktu one in Fez, then they'll holy war you constantly for it) so don't expand past your religious borders unless you've got a fabricated claim on at least a duchy.

The big question for me now is whether the Abbasids will collapse to decadence before I get to the last holy site. At least I'm not playing CK2+; I don't think decadence can actually rise in that mod. Certainly never seen it go above 25%

Karabiner98Kurz
Sep 25, 2005

HOW THE FUCK DO THEY HAVE ALL THIS MANPOWER?
I'm gonna try to start something here, and I hope I keep up with it:

Norse Ruler Music Of The Day

Týr
Progressive "Folk/Viking" Metal from the Faeroe Islands
- If you like these I would suggest finding more of them. There are more albums and are quite different from each other.

Land (Album Playlist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffj476DjVlE

By The Light Of The Northern Star (Album Playlist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81rcibwfI2o

Enslaved
Progressive "Norwegian Black Metal" from... well, Norway.

RIITIIR (Album Playlist) I listened to this album for a week straight and my mind inhabited a cold and desiccated shadow-realm with no other thought than the nature of the North.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPsAWtBdIZs

Bonus Music Video for 'Thoughts Like Hammers': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQz0_m16SaU

I did my thesis in history on Metal and it's connection to the Viking Age and the Viking Age revival of the late 19th and early 20th centuries...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Can't we just Warhammer Europe up a little bit instead?

For example, if a ruler gets the possessed trait he has the chance to sacrifice a virgin to open up the gates of hell. If he does so he gets the chance to commune with the Devil and he has chance of being devoured or gaining the ability to recruit a demonic retinue. He'll than have the option of declaring Satanic unholy wars on his neighbors. Of course this will give him a -50 relationship penalty with all other religions. He can gain "piety" by sacrificing prisoners, torturing them, burning churches, etc.

I'm pretty sure all this would be rather easy to code, the dificult part would be making sprites for the demonic retinue.

The virgin would in gameplay terms be a woman who's never married, nor has a lover.

The demonic retinue would fall under the heavy infantry category and cost the same, but it would have the stats of heavy cavlry.

Much better than ahistorical Aztecs, especially since such a thing could happen anywhere at anytime.

Of course, if one actually devled into Aztec mythology they have the potential to be pretty nightmarish themsleves.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 11, 2013

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what the gently caress is causing my Mali game work so well but it is. The Sultan of Mauritania literally has 3x more troops then I but I consistenly destroy his armies whenever he invades or I do Conquest CB on him. Holy Warrior and Desert Fighter OP I guess.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can't we just Warhammer Europe up a little bit instead?

For example, if a ruler gets the possessed trait he has the chance to sacrifice a virgin to open up the gates of hell. If he does so he gets the chance to commune with the Devil and he has chance of being devoured or gaining the ability to recruit a demonic retinue. He'll than have the option of declaring Satanic unholy wars on his neighbors. Of course this will give him a -50 relationship penalty with all other religions.

I'm pretty sure all this would be rather easy to code, the dificult part would be making sprites for the demonic retinue.

The virgin would in gameplay terms be a woman who's never married, nor has a lover.
The demonic retinue would fall under the heavy infantry category and cost the same, but it would have the stats of heavy cavlry.

Much better than ahistorical Aztecs, especially since such a thing could happen anywhere at anytime.

Of course, if one actually devled into Aztec mythology they have the potential to be pretty nightmarish themsleves.

:shepicide:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

:confused:
Has someone already made a similar mod?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

In my game as Abyssinia (1.09), there were a few decades where the king took the Duchy of Sana'a and tried to figure out how to get a decent troop count when the Miaphysites can't even be bothered to set up holy orders. Then the Fatimids ran out of Muslims to fight and decided to lurch on down and steal all his tasty Christian counties.

Then the former king turned into a duke inside the Fatimid blob, changed to Muslim religion, and had the 'Open' inheritance law imposed... which meant that his last son, the Ethiopian Miaphysite Duke of Porto (lucky marriage), got everything on ruler death.

And that's how I escaped Ethiopia and hosed off to Iberia, which is just a better deal all around~

Edit: Of course, for some reason, in my current game as the Republic of Scandinavia, the Kingdom of Abyssinia never fell and is actually in position to set themselves up as the Empire of Abyssinia. I don't think I'd ever seen them survive past a century.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Winter Stormer posted:

In my game as Abyssinia (1.09), there were a few decades where the king took the Duchy of Sana'a and tried to figure out how to get a decent troop count when the Miaphysites can't even be bothered to set up holy orders. Then the Fatimids ran out of Muslims to fight and decided to lurch on down and steal all his tasty Christian counties.

Then the former king turned into a duke inside the Fatimid blob, changed to Muslim religion, and had the 'Open' inheritance law imposed... which meant that his last son, the Ethiopian Miaphysite Duke of Porto (lucky marriage), got everything on ruler death.

And that's how I escaped Ethiopia and hosed off to Iberia, which is just a better deal all around~

Edit: Of course, for some reason, in my current game as the Republic of Scandinavia, the Kingdom of Abyssinia never fell and is actually in position to set themselves up as the Empire of Abyssinia. I don't think I'd ever seen them survive past a century.

Yeah Abyssiana seems a lot stronger in 1.10, in 1066 they seem to survive longer and in 866 I've seen them conquer Egypt right out multiple times.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hazmat Sam posted:

Actually, yes, I've found that they perform quite decently, probably because of the archer component.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

:confused:
Has someone already made a similar mod?

No, but it would have been easier to do that instead :v:

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Welp, my carefully laid plans were laid low in a catastrophic series of bad luck. My heir is an awesome bro with some good stats, I matrilinearly married the heir of an annoying vassal to set up my dynasty in their land once the countess dies, and my king was getting set for the twilight years.

All of a sudden Lothian decides they want to get in on faction fun and back said annoying vassal's war for the throne. Next thing I know half of my vassals are in on it and 2000 rebels decide they are game as well. No problem, I saved some bank to get mercs for just such an occassion. Let me just steam roll these punks with 8000 dudes.

First the heir to the annoying vassal dies in battle. gently caress.

Then my heir dies in battle. Double gently caress.

Then my king gets maimed in battle and dies a day later. Triple gently caress.

Oh, and my new 11 year old Scottish king somewhere along the line decided to become a dirty foreigner, Lothian lost Cumberland to Norway during the war, and another faction has already formed.

Lesson is it is worth it to fight the stupid interface to remove anyone of any importance from your army before you go into battle.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Could someone upload their triggered_modifiers.txt (under CKII/common) or paste it on pastebin? I hosed it up accidentally and now my checksum is different. :/

I would be eternally grateful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

wolfman101 posted:

Lesson is it is worth it to fight the stupid interface to remove anyone of any importance from your army before you go into battle.

I wish there was a way to just mark characters so that they will never fight. I had a very similar experience over the weekend, although supposedly my king wasn't even in the battle, and still got hit over the head and turned into a vegetable.

Hell, even it it gave a prestige hit I'd still mark my ruler and all his heirs as not fighting, just so stupid poo poo like that didn't keep happening. Or the game deciding that my 50 year old 2 Mil ruler should by default be the leader of every army instead of his 28 Mil Marshal.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Grem posted:

Tried this, and now I can only loot when I take successfully siege something. Is it supposed to work like that, or is there a way to get it to working like in vanilla.

Here's what I got:
code:
norse_pagan_reformed = {
		graphical_culture = norsegfx

icon = 20
		heresy_icon = 21

color = { 0.75 0.75 0.75 }
		god_names = {
			GOD_THOR GOD_THE_THUNDERER GOD_THE_ALLFATHER GOD_THE_ODIN GOD_FREY GOD_TYR
		}

unit_modifier = {
			levy_size = 0.3

key = "OFF_RELIGION"
		}

crusade_name = GREAT_HOLY_WAR
		scripture_name = THE_SAGAS
		priests_can_marry = yes
                allow_viking_invasion = yes # Allows the "Prepare Invasion" diplo action
		allow_looting = yes
		allow_rivermovement = yes
		can_call_crusade = yes
		female_temple_holders = yes

short_reign_opinion_year_mult = 3 # The default is 2

aggression = 1.5 # AI aggression factor

max_consorts = 3

religious_clothing_head = 3
		religious_clothing_priest = 3

}		

Anyone?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Shadeoses posted:

Actually, huh. I wonder if you can make retinues that become available based on other criteria than culture? The way the culture requirements are implemented is just a "culture = whatever" line right in the middle of the retinue definition - I'm not sure if you can stick other stuff in there, like traits or character flags, but if you can, that does potentially open up some interesting possibilities.

Grem posted:

Anyone?
It looks like it should be working. Are you looting in a coastal province with an adjacent fleet, or alternately, in a province adjacent to your realm?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Strudel Man posted:

It looks like it should be working. Are you looting in a coastal province with an adjacent fleet, or alternately, in a province adjacent to your realm?

Looting like normal, yea, raiders, coastal, fleet there. The little raiding bar doesn't show up on the province screen still :(

Grem fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 11, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Grem posted:

Looting like normal, yea, raiders, coastal, fleet there. The little raiding bar doesn't show up on the province screen still :(
Not sure what to tell you, then. Sorry.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

Nothing stopping you from making this one too! :D

northern_monkey
Mar 30, 2010
College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

There's no difference, none whatsoever. For the purposes of selecting your heir to be anyone you want, Ag-Cog more than suffices. I've found that giving your heir land helps them win, because they'll vote for themselves, giving another vote to the cause. So if you want to give females land, Cognatic is a good choice. But the point is that Ag-Cog will grant your successor, male or female, the title when you die, just as long as they have enough votes.

Thanks!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Here's how to prevent your heir or other important people from being killed in battle: Choose other people to lead your armies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Grem posted:

edit: played with it a bit, looks like I AM looting, but it won't tell me how much I can loot max on the province screen, guess I'll have to guess, or maybe it's unlimited, who knows.

I'm thinking that you mean that you can't see the loot bar when you're sieging, which is WAD. There's supposed to be a button on the siege screen, two arrows I think, that'll switch the province view mode so that you can see the loot bar again.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm thinking that you mean that you can't see the loot bar when you're sieging, which is WAD. There's supposed to be a button on the siege screen, two arrows I think, that'll switch the province view mode so that you can see the loot bar again.

When I do that it gives me that solid yellow bar, with no indicator that I'm looting, in fact, my earlier edit was wrong, I'm still not looting, what.the.gently caress.

So it says Possible Loot: 0

Oh well, which lands are unreformed pagans?

Grem fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 11, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grem posted:

When I do that it gives me that solid yellow bar, with no indicator that I'm looting, in fact, my earlier edit was wrong, I'm still not looting, what.the.gently caress.

So it says Possible Loot: 0

Oh well, which lands are unreformed pagans?

Are you able to toggle your units into raiders?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Reveilled posted:

Are you able to toggle your units into raiders?

Yea, they're raiders, I even get the little raiding icon above the siege on the map, only it's red, like how it usually is when there's nothing left to loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Here's how to prevent your heir or other important people from being killed in battle: Choose other people to lead your armies.

Well if you raise troops from your holdings you ruler and your marshal will be leaders, as will the rulers and marshals of your vassals.

you sure theres not too much fort level in the province where's the marker?

• Locked thread