Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Are we talking about the green guy? He's a Guild member, I think. The Hammerhead guy, I dunno specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

X_Toad posted:

Also, aren't giant squids supposed to be part of a sperm whale's diet, rather than a predator?

Apparently while sperm whales eat giant squid, giant squids eat anything they can catch, and they also don't go down easy, since many sperm whales have scars from squid hunting.

Amedeus
Jun 8, 2013

Oh, now, look at me, I'm fulla holes. But you! What's the deal, here?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also, that Atlantean-esque fishman on the boat was one of the obligatory fill-in lame supervillains at some point, right? He looked super familiar but I'm not sure from where.

I want to say he was in the henchman support group meeting in Season 2. But I could be wrong.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
He's the guy in Fallen Arches who doesn't know the difference between Blackulas and African American vampires.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

He's also the one who asks "what if your name starts with no earthly letter?" in "Bright Lights, Dean City." He pops up all over the place.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Rico (Recombinant Lusus Naturae) the ball-sniffing monkey-man from the Halloween Episode was on one of the boats of freaks.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm watching this right now and am so confused and so happy- this show was worth the wait, like how gloriously dark and crazy can this show get?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A small detail: I loved how Venturestein's army all had brand new sneakers, because the leader of the revolution apparently spends his free time making them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I wish the new t-shirt was that flag logo, because it rocks better than the Che parody

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Welp, now I know what Gillian Jacobs was doing.

Awesome.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought this episode was really sweet :unsmith:. I'll be happy if this is their "gently caress you fanboys for tying 'failure' to everything because we said it one time" season.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Everyone enjoying the new season so far? I feel like it's not scratching the itch I hoped it would. I don't know if it's been too long or my expectations from how fantastic the last season was, or if the drugs have ruined my pleasure center.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Umph posted:

if the drugs have ruined my pleasure center.

Its this one

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

GD_American posted:

I wish the new t-shirt was that flag logo, because it rocks better than the Che parody

I really wanted the U.R.G.H flag on a shirt.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Umph posted:

Everyone enjoying the new season so far? I feel like it's not scratching the itch I hoped it would. I don't know if it's been too long or my expectations from how fantastic the last season was, or if the drugs have ruined my pleasure center.

Eh, I like that they're going back to largely episodic things now, I think the last two seasons were a bit heavy in spots. But I always liked it best when stupid adventures and good jokes were happening.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Umph posted:

Thus far, I think it's brilliant. Unbelievably funny in parts. Seconding the love for the episodic nature, at the moment, though I doubt I'll be upset if this season has some heavier bits to it. These first two episodes (I'm not counting the Halloween episode) have been great and I think they'd work wonderfully as introductions to friends of mine who've never watched it--though there's a lot of baggage that wouldn't make sense if you went back to Season 1 (lack of Brock, competent Gary, emo-Dean, Hatred's breasts, etc.).

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe it's just I'm missing Brock and the monarch and the osi guys. Not much face time with them yet.

Hatreds flashback was promising.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo. Is Venturestein built from the remains of henchman 24? Doc said he built him from one of Monarch's henchman and the batman masked showed he was a nerd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FutonForensic posted:

Holy poo poo. Is Venturestein built from the remains of henchman 24? Doc said he built him from one of Monarch's henchman and the batman masked showed he was a nerd.

Venturestein was built in season 2

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Venturestein was built in season 2

Oh whoops. :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

FutonForensic posted:

No, he's not at all. Did you never watch the previous seasons? He was in season 2. He's basically some unnamed henchmen. It was a pretty cool introduction to him because of the POV of a henchmen was great.

Seeing the bodies/corpses and Brock coming in for the kill.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Shindragon posted:

No, he's not at all. Did you never watch the previous seasons? He was in season 2. He's basically some unnamed henchmen. It was a pretty cool introduction to him because of the POV of a henchmen was great.

Seeing the bodies/corpses and Brock coming in for the kill.

I forgot. Season two was over six years ago!

Amedeus
Jun 8, 2013

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Eh, I like that they're going back to largely episodic things now, I think the last two seasons were a bit heavy in spots. But I always liked it best when stupid adventures and good jokes were happening.

Definitely. One of the reasons I loved the first season so much was because of the little things that tied the show together, while allowing each episode to remain self-contained. Like Dr. Venture's nightmares, or the Brisbyland bee, which both eventually wound up serving a purpose. Two is still my favorite season, because three became too overly focused on making a big deal about revealing the past, and four started to get, as you said, heavy with itself. Venture Libre felt like it was getting back to its Johnny Quest-parody roots.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Amedeus posted:

Venture Libre felt like it was getting back to its Johnny Quest-parody roots.
Speaking of, this is the first 'exotic' adventure of the family with Hatred as their bodyguard, right?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Let's face facts, Hatred really isn't their bodyguard at this point. He's just another hosed up member of the household.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, he's definitely the mom. He even has the tits for it!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm trying to remember, have we ever seen Hatred actually use physical force, or otherwise show that he might have above average strength?

Amedeus
Jun 8, 2013

X_Toad posted:

Yeah, he's definitely the mom. He even has the tits for it!

I like to think of him as their nanny.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Question : does anyone know where I could see the preview for next week's episode? I missed the broadcast.

Bobulus posted:

I'm trying to remember, have we ever seen Hatred actually use physical force, or otherwise show that he might have above average strength?
Doors can't resist him when he gets excited, of that I'm sure. In the episode The Revenge Society, when Hank warned everyone that the yard was full of Guild operatives, Hatred just walked through the door of the bathroom and destroyed parts of the wall too. Then there is the episode Self-Medication, he has a huge panic attack because he's all-out of Nomolestol and surrounded by children, and he breaks the door of a toiled stall by just pushing it.

Of course, Brock kicks in a steel door with his foot, so it may not be that impressive.

Amedeus posted:

I like to think of him as their nanny.
Being the Ventures' bodyguard has 'nanny to the boys' in its job description though. Compared to Brock, Hatred just seems more emotional and more invested into the education of the boys. When Dean had that nervous breakdown at the end of season 2, Brock said 'it will pass in a couple of hours'. Hatred came to Dean and flat-out told him that his reading habits were unhealthy. Also, Hatred seems to stand his ground a little bit more against Doc, like in the candy discussion from the Halloween special.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 11, 2013

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!
I think the preview may be up on Amazon instant video

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JT Jag posted:

Let's face facts, Hatred really isn't their bodyguard at this point. He's just another hosed up member of the household.

He's like a giant two legged perverted cat, which is just like a regular cat!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

WendigoJohnson posted:

He's like a giant two legged perverted cat, which is just like a regular cat!

I just googled this post because it's bazaar and kinda perfect for the venture bros thread. I thought maybe it was from the show. Unless I missed the line this episode, it is not. I also got some very odd results.

So, uh, :golfclap:

I also would not have googled it if it had not made me laugh. I read it in Hank's voice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is there a joke that goes along with Courtney R. Haine as Hatred's real name?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Someone said this in here already but Haine is French for hatred so there's that at least.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pick posted:

Is there a joke that goes along with Courtney R. Haine as Hatred's real name?

I'm pretty sure the Courtney part doesn't go any further then "Courtney used to be a guy name, but now it's pretty much only for girls".

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Courtney does has an interesting little factoid on Wikipedia, though.

Wikipedia posted:

Courtney was used as a given name for men beginning at least as far back as the 17th Century (e.g. the British Member of Parliament Sir Courtney Pool, 1677[1]). As a given name for women, however, it gained wide acceptance only in the years following the 1956 publication of the novel "Chocolates for Breakfast", by Pamela Moore, whose protagonist Courtney Farrell sometimes wishes she had been born a man.
Not sure if it has anything to do with Hatred, but the poor guy certainly has his fair share of "issues". :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I must be one of the only people who likes Hatred more than Brock. I just love his goofy enthusiasm and bizarre outbursts :buddy:.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Pick posted:

I must be one of the only people who likes Hatred more than Brock. I just love his goofy enthusiasm and bizarre outbursts :buddy:.

I like Hatred. :shobon: His gungho attitude and weirdness plays off as a really nice contrast to how generally cool, collected, and normal Brock is/was as the Venture bodyguard. I imagine writing jokes and comedy for Hatred is easier than Brock, but the household doesn't really have a straight man anymore, although Dean is starting to sort of become one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Optimus Subprime posted:

I like Hatred. :shobon: His gungho attitude and weirdness plays off as a really nice contrast to how generally cool, collected, and normal Brock is/was as the Venture bodyguard. I imagine writing jokes and comedy for Hatred is easier than Brock, but the household doesn't really have a straight man anymore, although Dean is starting to sort of become one.

It looks like 21 might become the new actual bodyguard with Hatred just there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
If you want to overthink the whole thing, It's kind of funny that his full name is technically 'Courtney Hate', an interesting spin on 'Courtney Love'.