Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

AD&D works a lot better in some ways as a videogame. For one thing, pointing and clicking the fighter at a target is an active choice you make in a sea of other characters meaning that keeping things simple is not so bad, and for another it means you're not marginalizing the role of a human being playing at your table down to "point at enemy and throw fighter at it to roll some dice". When you're making choices with anywhere from four to eight characters, having the fighter be "the simple one you don't have to worry about" is a fine design choice.

Niche protection, as it turns out, makes you appreciate teamwork on a tactical level in single player. Not so much when you're crammed into one of the niches.
Yeah -- treating the PARTY as the unit of play makes a lot of sense in a single-player video game.

Then you're making decisions about resources by taking THIS thief or THAT cleric, trying to balance your group across different characters, and you don't care if those characters are balanced against each other, so long as their contribution to the group is sufficient.

As you say, it might be a boring job to be a Fighter, but that boredom isn't imposed on any particular player -- unlike in table-top.

Hmm.

That gives me an idea for D&D Next.

There are no Fighter or Thief PCs. That kind of stuff is done by Hirelings. PCs are the important people: Bards, Clerics, Druids, Necromancers, Paladins, Psions, Rangers, Sorcerers, Warlords and Wizards.

Hirelings would be a disposable party-wide resource which everyone would help manage in various ways. Your marching order might grant bonuses to your Hirelings: put the Paladin on point, and everyone gets better Morale; put the Ranger on point, and everyone gets better Stealth & Perception. Hirelings would function a bit like "party HP".

Bards, Clerics, Paladins and Warlords: can grant different Morale bonuses to Hirelings
Rangers, Paladins and Warlords: can grant combat bonuses to Hirelings
Rangers and Druids: can gain Hirelings who are wolves and/or bears
Necromancers: can re-animate a deceased Hireling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The problem is that people actually legitimately enjoy playing the Martial Weapons Guy who succeeds not through guile or tactics but sheer force of arms and being a badass.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Vermain posted:

The problem is that people actually legitimately enjoy playing the Martial Weapons Guy who succeeds not through guile or tactics but sheer force of arms and being a badass.

Leading a motley mob unit of gullible and disposable brave mundane troopers wouldn't scratch this guy's itch?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Dodge Charms posted:

Leading a motley mob unit of gullible and disposable brave mundane troopers wouldn't scratch this guy's itch?
These are the words of someone who has not had the pure joy of suplexing goblins as a brawler fighter.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ImpactVector posted:

These are the words of someone who has not had the pure joy of suplexing goblins as a brawler fighter.

Which would be 10 times better if you had a weird sidekick to throw you the oh my god he's thrown a steel chair into the ring and a few buddies who'd occasionally jump in and beat on the monster that's currently got the better of you (along with an audience to pump you up, and a personal narrator to say the steel chair thing when it comes up).

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Which would be 10 times better if you had a weird sidekick to throw you the oh my god he's thrown a steel chair into the ring and a few buddies who'd occasionally jump in and beat on the monster that's currently got the better of you (along with an audience to pump you up, and a personal narrator to say the steel chair thing when it comes up).

Wizard: "I'm going to cast Steel Cage around that guy with the goblin."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dodge Charms posted:

Wizard: "I'm going to cast Steel Cage around that guy with the goblin."

A spell that is limited to the fighter's sidekick manager, who is controlled by the fighter's player, yes.

My post was a joke-y way of saying that if you take the Fighter back to the AD&D assumption of "eventually gains all kinds of powers in the form of an army of followers", then that would be completely awesome.

I mean, if you give a first level fighter a competent sidekick, that would alleviate heaps of the "but fighters can't..." stuff. Can't climb? But there's two guys, they help each other up! Can't kick the door down? There's two guys! Can't do stuff like "block a passage" because they're not magic? gently caress you, there's two of them, shield wall. Then you could add another dude every few levels. By 9th level, the fighter should be doing AoE and area denial "spells" by ordering his soldiers around.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

A spell that is limited to the fighter's sidekick manager, who is controlled by the fighter's player, yes.

My post was a joke-y way of saying that if you take the Fighter back to the AD&D assumption of "eventually gains all kinds of powers in the form of an army of followers", then that would be completely awesome.

I mean, if you give a first level fighter a competent sidekick, that would alleviate heaps of the "but fighters can't..." stuff. Can't climb? But there's two guys, they help each other up! Can't kick the door down? There's two guys! Can't do stuff like "block a passage" because they're not magic? gently caress you, there's two of them, shield wall. Then you could add another dude every few levels. By 9th level, the fighter should be doing AoE and area denial "spells" by ordering his soldiers around.

So you run the comrade system from Only War? I love this idea.

If this was implemented it would be to have a buddy who is just a wizard so that you can also be reduced to having the wizard save you.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

I think you misspelled "dragons" there. Or possibly "Purple worms".

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

neonchameleon posted:

I think you misspelled "dragons" there. Or possibly "Purple worms".
Sadly the coolest thing my fighter ever suplexed was a goblin warleader, since I only got to play him for two sessions. :(

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaDog posted:

Make the fighter a knight, give them a squire. Bam.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dr Pepper posted:

Anything they can't do that "Just works" would require a roll of some kind. So while the Thief can just open a door, the Fighter has to roll for it.

This was one of the things I built my design contest RPG around. Each class got a primary stat, and just did the first thing that keyed off that stat per scene. So the Fighter could do the first STR-based thing in a scene automatically, then got a D20 (needing 3+ I think) on subsequent STR based challenges. (All your ability scores were mapped to dice sizes, down to your dump stat being a D4.)

It also had a rudimentary expertise die system, and used Advantages - where each "advantage" translated into a D4 you could allocate to your attack or damage check. So if a guard were drunk and his back was turned, you got 2D4 you could allocate to either hitting, damaging, or one to each. It was better than endless +2s or roll-two-pick-highest 36D8 Advantage Rats.

...And then nobody playtested it. :sigh:

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.
I Still think "Endgame" or "Warcraft" D&D would be loving awesome, with a focus on leading units and your abilities in that sphere.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Make the fighter a knight, give them a squire. Bam.

Yes, this is what I'm getting at.

1st level = you get a squire. He's like a slightly less version of you, and he levels up with you.

4th level = your squire is now a Knight Aspirant, and you both need squires. You have one good companion and two less-good ones that bust down doors for you and tie ropes and "seize him!" and stuff.

Just keep going up from there. You probably don't want more than 3-4 companions in a dungeon crawl, but you should be able to do wizard-level stuff with them.

Of course, this requires some kind of abstracted system so you're not literally making 4 moves every round. This will be denigrated as a "dissociated mechanic" and people will talk about how it breaks their verisimilimmersion and how only Evard's Black Tentacles or Web can realistically hold people in an area, how are burly guards even supposed to do that, it's not like they have 2d6 tentacles!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

moths posted:

...And then nobody playtested it. :sigh:

I really like the 'here, have some extra dice to do poo poo with' system of advantages. It's just plain more fun than 'look up table to get +2'.

Are there any published rpgs other than Warhammer 3rd that use that system for many/all of their mechanical bits?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

victrix posted:

I really like the 'here, have some extra dice to do poo poo with' system of advantages. It's just plain more fun than 'look up table to get +2'.

Are there any published rpgs other than Warhammer 3rd that use that system for many/all of their mechanical bits?

Star Wars Edge of the Empire, also made by FFG though.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

victrix posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics uses something similar. From recollection there are some static bonuses, but it also uses what it calls the "dice chain". Basically the better you get at something the higher the dice you roll going up a chain (d3, d4, d5, d6, d7, d8, d10, d12, d14, d16, d20, d24, d30). You can use that mechanic to avoid fiddly modifiers, it seems to be a matter of GM preference though.

On example is that PCs who are using two weapons rolls d16s for attacks, instead of taking a static penalty.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
But who the hell has a d16, d3, d5, d7, d14, and d24?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

But who the hell has a d16, d3, d5, d7, d14, and d24?

It's not the designer's fault that you don't have all the right dice, ok?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I actually remember stupid dice sizes as a bullet in early DCC promo material. I guess because Zocchi is the Gygax of polyhedrons?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

I like +xd6, it lets you math out an increasing average instead of an increasing range, but there are a ton of ways of doing it - not everyone likes 'stable' rolls

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So my family is fond of doing cooking contests at parties. An upcoming event is coming up and my brother-in-law is talking a lot of poo poo because the entree of choice is ribs. I find his stuff too dry and he uses a store bought sauce. Any tips on wiping the smug look off his face?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AlphaDog posted:

It's easy enough to fake them, or you could use an ipod/tablet/laptop.

The spell lists in DCC are basically the best thing ever, each spell gets like a page and a half of random mutations associated with it, elaborate levels of success, awesome random effects.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mike Mearls posted:

The downtime system is at its best when it serves to drive the next adventure—one sparked by the players’ ideas of what they want to do next. Does your group’s wizard Kanaea lust after a staff of power? With enough research, she can uncover stories of one lost in a distant dungeon. Has your fighter Haydar sworn vengeance against the Three-Eyed Prelate of Chaos? He can hit the bars, talk to wanderers and adventurers, and attempt to learn that fiend’s whereabouts and its secret weakness. A group of pilgrims bringing a holy relic to the cleric’s temple go missing, prompting the group’s next adventure.

Does that mean that players have declarative powers on the world? Does "finding the fiend's secret weakness" mean "roll high enough and I'll tell you what's written in the stat block" or "roll high enough and I'll let you write something up on the stat block"?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rexides posted:

Does that mean that players have declarative powers on the world? Does "finding the fiend's secret weakness" mean "roll high enough and I'll tell you what's written in the stat block" or "roll high enough and I'll let you write something up on the stat block"?
Nah, it means that if you succeed at your rolls the GM tells you the next bit of adventure, if you fail you don't get to adventure today.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Honestly the weekly or bi-weekly teases have become more and more pointless when each new packet seems to be the same as the old one but with a few spell tweaks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rexides posted:

It doesn't mean anything since it will never make it into the actual game except maybe as a divination spell.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Is there something like a combined list of changes from one packet to another ?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

sebmojo posted:

It's easy enough to fake them, or you could use an ipod/tablet/laptop.

The spell lists in DCC are basically the best thing ever, each spell gets like a page and a half of random mutations associated with it, elaborate levels of success, awesome random effects.
Not really given that at least one of the dice (I forget which one) is actually a weighted dice.

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Why does this sound familiar?

Is this the dark price we must pay to get more people playing REIGN?

There is another explanation for the sudden existence of a downtime system, I think.

Pathfinder's Ultimate Campaign posted:

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Campaign includes:
  • A detailed guide to generating character backstories, including a new system for random character generation and traits and drawbacks to meld your background with your statistics.
  • Story feats that increase in power as you achieve key goals, making quests and crusades more than just flavor!
  • A complete downtime rules system to flesh out those parts of a PC’s life that take place between adventures, such as running a business, gaining power and influence in a community, or starting a magical academy.
  • New rules for retraining and switching classes; honor, reputation, and fame; young characters; investment; magic item creation; and other key adventuring topics.
  • Rules for building up a kingdom, including construction and technological advancements, governing your people, and more.
  • Mass combat rules to help you lead clashing armies and conduct epic battles in a fun and efficient manner—without losing sight of the PCs themselves.
    AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!

Now, it's possible that they're actually stealing from one of many other games for their downtime system, but the fact that the Pathfinder book with the downtime system just came out 2 weeks ago makes it feel like more than a coincidence.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taran posted:

There is another explanation for the sudden existence of a downtime system, I think.

Now, it's possible that they're actually stealing from one of many other games for their downtime system, but the fact that the Pathfinder book with the downtime system just came out 2 weeks ago makes it feel like more than a coincidence.
I actually cringed reading this post. My emotional reaction to watching the Next development process has now moved into the same territory as the Michael Scott sections of The Office.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Taran posted:

Does The One Ring have such a system?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Razorwired posted:

So my family is fond of doing cooking contests at parties. An upcoming event is coming up and my brother-in-law is talking a lot of poo poo because the entree of choice is ribs. I find his stuff too dry and he uses a store bought sauce. Any tips on wiping the smug look off his face?

Sauce is for after the cooking is done. Go with a dry run of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and spices. Generally you want to cook on low heat for a long time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Razorwired posted:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

I actually cringed reading this post. My emotional reaction to watching the Next development process has now moved into the same territory as the Michael Scott sections of The Office.

I've had the realisation that Next is going to end up being a copy of a copy (PF) of an update (3.5e) of a reimagining (3e) of an update (2e) of someone's houserules for OD&D (AD&D).

No poo poo it's looking weird. If it was a clear original>update>update>update>update path, it probably wouldn't be quite so odd.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I never thought I'd say this, but I think ol' Monte had a clear vision before he became the moon. Maybe I'm miss-remembering the idealistic phase of 5e.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I think ol' Monte had a clear vision before he became the moon. Maybe I'm miss-remembering the idealistic phase of 5e.
The vision when he was still on the team was a typos, bad-formatting-and-all copy-paste from the SRD.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Campaign 5e includes:

* A detailed guide to generating character backstories, including a new system for random character generation and traits and drawbacks to meld your background with your statistics. NPC traits, backgrounds.
* Story feats that increase in power as you achieve key goals, making quests and crusades more than just flavor!
* A complete downtime rules system to flesh out those parts of a PC’s life that take place between adventures, such as running a business, gaining power and influence in a community, or starting a magical academy.
* New rules for retraining and switching classes; honor, reputation, and fame; young characters; investment; magic item creation; and other key adventuring topics.
* Rules for building up a kingdom, including construction and technological advancements, governing your people, and more. It's called downtime.
* Mass combat rules to help you lead clashing armies and conduct epic battles in a fun and efficient manner—without losing sight of the PCs themselves.
AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!

Well, I'm sold. Which do you reckon is next? I'm betting mass combat.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Razorwired posted:

How good are you at spices? If you are good at spices, you can make homemade everything and blow him away handily.

First, you want a rub. Look at the rub mixes Meathead has at amazingribs.com and then make your own. If you suck with spices, just copy one of his.

Second, you want a sauce. Do the same thing - look at all the types and then make your own (or copy one exactly if you're not confident in your abilities to make your own sauce).

Then do the prep from my previous ribpost: oil and rub the meaty side of the ribs and put a container of water in your grill (or a broiler pan full of water for the oven) to keep things moist. Get the bottom of the ribs bubbly with the broiler if you're using the oven, don't worry about that if you're using the grill. Then, if you're using the oven, cook meat-side up on the broiler pan (at 225) for a good 2.5-3 hours (until done - until the bark cracks when you pick up a rack of ribs and it bends). Then hit the bottom with sauce and broil until bubbly, then hit the meat side with sauce and broil until bubbly.

If you are going to use the grill instead of the oven, one of the following must hold: (a) You are a born or trained grillmaster to whom no mortal can step or (b) You have a sick setup with a good electronic thermometer and maybe even a regulator so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

For the grill, oil and rub the meaty side and then get your grill set up to hold at 225. Put your ribs over indirect heat, meat side up. Throw in a quarter pound of smoke chips (I like hickory, because it is the best but some wrong and morally deficient people have differing opinions). Wait until the smoke is done (a half hour, maybe), and throw in another quarter pound of smoke chips. Now wait an hour or so. Open the grill and switch the positioning of the ribs (put the one closest to the heat further away and vice versa). Don't flip them. Close the grill. Wait an hour and a half or so and once the ribs pass the bend test, you're almost done.

Great, you have delicious ribs, but they are sauceless! Sauceless ribs are a bit sad. Sauce up both sides of the ribs and put them over the hottest part of the grill. Take out the water pan and either move the grate close to the coals or crank your propane burners (leave the grill open). Once that sauce is carmelized, you're done. You can do another layer of sauce if you want, but your meat and rub are so damned good that I don't recommend it.

If at any point anyone recommends that you boil your ribs before cooking to make them more tender, ignore everything they say about barbecue ever. If you want to also disown them, that makes sense.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Razorwired posted:

My sister boils the ribs in beer and then cooks them in the oven. Sorry, phone posting or i'd get you a recipe.

• Locked thread