Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kingturnip posted:

I currently rule Ireland and Scotland as an unreformed Norse King.

The King of Denmark, who'd done a fair amount of conquering, died and left the throne to his, ahem, Greedy Hunchback Mastermind Theologian son. Diplomacy score: 2. Martial score: 1. His vassals immediately hated him.
Apparently keen to show them he wasn't completely incompetent, he declared a Subjugation war on Jorvik (holding most of England). Which wasn't a good idea, given that two pagan rulers then declared Subjugation war for Danish holdings and the Duke of Jyttland declared independence a few days after.
His levies are being ground to dust - he's getting whomped in England - and will almost certainly lose Pomerania, but he did manage to keep hold of Jyttland. Which is good, because as soon as he's done with his wars, I'm going to Subjugate his rear end myself and take all of Denmark.

To bookend this story, two more rulers declared war on Denmark as well; one to lower Crown Authority, the other was a Conquest CB.
So they won one war out of the five - for Jyttland. Then the King's wife died (of syphilis). Then Greater Poland won their war. Then Crown Authority was lowered and the random Pagan Conquest was successful. The Pomerania war was also successful, but did result in the King of Denmark marrying the Petty Queen of Pomerania, so that's something at least.

Not much, though, given that I immediately declared war to Subjugate Denmark and easily won. Except De Jure drift meant that also included a province in England and a handful near where Kaliningrad is. The poor ex-King of Denmark now just had one province in North Wales and the Petty King of Jyttland title.

Which I usurped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Music fit for a Crusader King:

Grave Digger - Monks of War

Rebellion - Disdaining Fortune

Varyags of Miklagaard, if you don't know who made this you are no true Viking. :reject:

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
How do I hotfix the succession laws for pagans problem in CK2+? I've got it halfway working but when I form a kingdom it's primogeniture.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Grem posted:

When I do that it gives me that solid yellow bar, with no indicator that I'm looting, in fact, my earlier edit was wrong, I'm still not looting, what.the.gently caress.

So it says Possible Loot: 0

Oh well, which lands are unreformed pagans?

All loot is protected by forts maybe? There is a vertical bar on the yellow bar splitting protected and unprotected loot of province.
If the forts in holdings are big enough they protect even all loot from raids unless raiders army is big enough to siege and take the holding out.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Music fit for a Crusader King:

Varyags of Miklagaard, if you don't know who made this you are no true Viking. :reject:

Love the music and the lyrics, but I've always found these gravely metal voices just ridiculous.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Ack. Even with the beta, gavelkind still doesn't distribute titles evenly. My primary heir got two counties, and my secondary heir got five, including the capital.

It really doesn't seem like this should be that complicated. Primary heir gets dibs on the first title of every level, and will always take the title containing the capital province if possible. So the primary heir always gets the capital, and if you hold the de jure duchy of that province, the primary heir always gets that, and if you hold the de jure kingdom of that province, the heir gets that...and so forth. The rest of your titles of each level going out round-robin, so that they're distributed roughly evenly.

How hard could it be?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 11, 2013

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Is there any way to change your capitol?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Koryk posted:

Is there any way to change your capitol?

Yeah, if you look on the screen where you raise levies for an individual county there should be a little crown button at the top that'll let you set that county to be your capitol. There are some prerequisites I think and you can only do it once per ruler.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Necroneocon posted:

I am 35 pages behind this thread but after 20 pages of goon sperginess about "pretty borders" I was hoping that Wiz hasn't done his last CK2 plus because I want him to add something that makes every county a random color because pretty border colors are the dumbest thing to complain or freak out about. It's not ADD, it's just really dumb and the gooniest thing possible.

So please Wiz, can you do that if you haven't made the last CK2 plus, thank you I will love you forever. That or make all county colors black. :sparkles:

It's OCD, not ADD, and he already did pretty much this.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Does anyone know how you would adjust CK2+ so that your councillors are as effective as they are in Vanilla?

I think I like pretty much everything else it does for the game, but the pacing on being able to forge claims, etc, just feels so slow as to be mildly infuriating.

Edit: Is it one of these modifiers in the job_titles.txt?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 11, 2013

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Strudel Man posted:

Ack. Even with the beta, gavelkind still doesn't distribute titles evenly. My primary heir got two counties, and my secondary heir got five, including the capital.

It really doesn't seem like this should be that complicated. Primary heir gets dibs on the first title of every level, and will always take the title containing the capital province if possible. So the primary heir always gets the capital, and if you hold the de jure duchy of that province, the primary heir always gets that, and if you hold the de jure kingdom of that province, the heir gets that...and so forth. The rest of your titles of each level going out round-robin, so that they're distributed roughly evenly.

How hard could it be?

I was just coming in here to complain about this. I've had times where my main man got half the first duchy and the first duchy title, and my second kid got the entirety of the second duchy and the title and half the first. And currently, I've got 2 kids and own 4 counties, 2 each in 2 duchies. You'd think that kid 1 would get the first duchy in its entirety, and kid 2 would get the second, but no, CK2 reckons one from each duchy should make things interesting. And the strongest ones are going to kid 2!

Wasn't there some way of making it recalculate the gavelkind so it's more sensible?

EDIT: Ok I just made my first duchy, and it just got more ridiculous, my firstborn now gets 1 county and the duchy title it belongs to, while my second son gets three counties. He'll quite literally be three times as strong as my firstborn. This is just Not On.

Konig fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 11, 2013

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Strudel Man posted:

Actually, huh. I wonder if you can make retinues that become available based on other criteria than culture? The way the culture requirements are implemented is just a "culture = whatever" line right in the middle of the retinue definition - I'm not sure if you can stick other stuff in there, like traits or character flags, but if you can, that does potentially open up some interesting possibilities.

How about religion? Just have the event switch your religion to Chaos/Demonism/Satanism/whatever and then give the option to recruit the retinue?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How much of an effect do generals have on the outcomes of battles? Doesn't seem to be anywhere near historical.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Wow ok so this just happened

:stare:

What you're seeing is Ivar the Boneless employing his father's murderer, who he swore to kill in a horrific way, as his spymaster. This does not bode well.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tindahbawx posted:

Does anyone know how you would adjust CK2+ so that your councillors are as effective as they are in Vanilla?

I think I like pretty much everything else it does for the game, but the pacing on being able to forge claims, etc, just feels so slow as to be mildly infuriating.

Edit: Is it one of these modifiers in the job_titles.txt?

It's in events/job_chancellor.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Started up a game as the Magyars, overran Bulgaria, switched to Hungary. The usual. Now, does Hungary always get unlimited invasion CBs? Because that seems crazy overpowered. I'm just gonna smash and grab half the byzantine empire in one go now.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

After the Umayyads took Aquitaine and France in invasions (I have no idea how they did this, this is not a thing muslims can do in CK2+) and none of the rest of Christianity gave a gently caress, I took up some random slob who had a claim and was willing to go to my court, assassinated the Sultan to place his child on the throne and then took up arms. Now unfortunately this dude I picked up didn't have kids, and the only woman I had around was about 30-ish years old. Still, she was a hedonist so I hoped they'd get a kid anyway so I married them off. So I war for the throne and I eventually get it - although the dude keeps the old vassals leading to years of civil war that he still wins.

I also had his sister, next in line to the throne if he never got kids... who I married off to a Bulgarian prince by rationalizing that he needed allies. Unfortunately the new king became a homosexual and depressed as did his lady wife... meaning they never had children.

So after years of trying to fend off the Muslims of france, the Catholic kingdom is inherited... by the Orthodox king of Bulgaria.

Que another schmo who had a claim getting warred for by me. However all the French holding were still held by the Bulgarian king until his vassals rebelled.

So now we have Frank Orthodox, Frank Catholics, Frank Sunnis, Bedouin Sunnis, Bedouin Orthodox, Bedouin Catholics, Dutch Catholics, Occitan Sunnis, Occitan Catholics, Bulgarian Orthodox and Breton Catholics all residing in lovely France.

...Oh well, at least I got Rus and Sweden to convert to Catholicism and I'm working on Norway, Denmark and Lithuania.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

How much of an effect do generals have on the outcomes of battles? Doesn't seem to be anywhere near historical.

In vanilla, almost none.

If it bugs you you'll want Better Armies or CK2+ that incorporates parts of Better Armies into it. It makes the generals martial skill and culture much more decisive instead of "bigger numbers = win".

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Flippycunt posted:

In vanilla, almost none.

If it bugs you you'll want Better Armies or CK2+ that incorporates parts of Better Armies into it. It makes the generals martial skill and culture much more decisive instead of "bigger numbers = win".

Is there a link to Better Armies somewhere?

EDIT: why yes, in the OP :downsgun:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

How does conversion work from the converter/missionary-er perspective? I've only been playing as pagans and so that's been the only side I've been seeing how it works from. Can a player character send their court chaplin to a pagan capital to attempt to convert them at a whim, or is it done some other way?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Seems like CK2+ has it so that you can't loot without sieging. Every province has 100% of its cash protected by fortifications. Is this a bug (I did change it so reformed Norse could still raid, but I'm currently unreformed) or a deliberate decision? I prefer the way it works in vanilla, where you can loot a little bit without sieging anything. Is there some kind of middle ground where you don't get the insane amounts of cash you get in vanilla, but can still do fast hit and run raids?

I enjoyed lightly raiding the byzantines and then running back on my boats before their armies could get to me. This is now impossible in CK2+, you need to have a protracted siege to get any money so raiding anyone you don't outnumber is out of the question (unless their doomstacks are being used in a war).

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

It's in events/job_chancellor.

Ah, excellent, I never thought to look in events! Thanks!

I'm at work, so I cant check this, I assume theres a similar /events/job_chancellor file in the base CK2 install directory, I would just need to copy the values out of that into the /events/job_chancellor file in the CK2+ Mod directory? Is that now the mods in this game work, they just overwrite values and add things to already created files in the CK2 install directory?

On another note, the CK2 mods folder, I've been using the one in the User Documents folder, not the one in the main CK2 install folder. Does it make any difference as to which one you use?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tindahbawx posted:

Ah, excellent, I never thought to look in events! Thanks!

I'm at work, so I cant check this, I assume theres a similar /events/job_chancellor file in the base CK2 install directory, I would just need to copy the values out of that into the /events/job_chancellor file in the CK2+ Mod directory? Is that now the mods in this game work, they just overwrite values and add things to already created files in the CK2 install directory?

On another note, the CK2 mods folder, I've been using the one in the User Documents folder, not the one in the main CK2 install folder. Does it make any difference as to which one you use?

The CK2 mods folder in the install directory has a text file that says "Do not put mods here".

I think it's best to heed that warning! I've had mods really screw up/crash because they were put there instead of the one in User Documents.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xv8xj0zaiih8051/Landed_Titles.rar

I was just going to make some personal CK2+ map color changes for myself but I see a few other people posting that they like the vanilla colors better too so I figured I'd upload this. It's mostly vanilla old god colors for CK2+ with a few adjustments.

This is far from perfect since I mostly focused on Europe and even there the colors still aren't going to be great at times since I didn't mess with most counts/dukes (and empires since ck2+ doesn't let you see what they look like without making them) but most of the major titles you're likely to see were adjusted.

If you want to use it just extract those files into your files/paradox interactive/crusader kings 2/mod/CK2Plus/common/landed_titles folder after backing up the files in there in case you want to go back.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 11, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

1066 start with Erik the Heathen, Duke of Uppland is pretty fun. You don't get to be a Viking steamroller as easy and it's greatly satisfying to unite all of the disparate pagans under a single banner to go gently caress up Christians.

Just have to make sure to hurry and usurp the crown of Sweden before he gets around to converting your provinces. Had one restart due to him converting both of my male heirs. :argh:

1082 and the vikings are once again harassing Ireland; as it should be.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Trujillo posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?oswnwu17qeakvri

I was just going to make some personal CK2+ map color changes for myself but I see a few other people posting that they like the vanilla colors better too so I figured I'd upload this. It's mostly vanilla old god colors for CK2+ with a few adjustments.

This is far from perfect since I mostly focused on Europe and even there the colors still aren't going to be great at times since I didn't mess with most counts/dukes (and empires since ck2+ doesn't let you see what they look like without making them) but most of the major titles you're likely to see were adjusted.

Also I left the Abbasids that weird fleshy pink color because I couldn't find their title. There's a caliph title and a title that says Abbasid but those aren't it. If anyone knows what the titles called I'll change it and reupload. Same with East Francia.

If you want to use it just extract those files into your files/paradox interactive/crusader kings 2/mod/CK2Plus/common/landed_titles folder after backing up the files in there in case you want to go back.

They are the Arabian empire in 867 but thats vanilla check k_mesopatamia, or k_arabia, or maybe k_syria

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Trujillo posted:

Also I left the Abbasids that weird fleshy pink color because I couldn't find their title. There's a caliph title and a title that says Abbasid but those aren't it. If anyone knows what the titles called I'll change it and reupload. Same with East Francia.
Abbasids are e_arabia,East Francia is k_germany.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I've run into a strange bug after the newest patch where zooming out the map will crash the game. Has anyone else witnessed the same? I'm thinking of downloading the beta patch to see if it fixes the issue.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Cycloneman posted:

How do I hotfix the succession laws for pagans problem in CK2+? I've got it halfway working but when I form a kingdom it's primogeniture.

Help please.

e: nevermind, Wiz has now patched this.

Cycloneman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 11, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I do not have Old Gods dlc(I know, I know) and I'm thinking of downgrading my CK version to play CK+ without issues.

What features/tweaks will I be losing as a non Viking/pagan by rolling back the old gods patch? The new technology system is all that comes to mind.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 11, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

I do not have Old Gods dlc(I know, I know) and I'm thinking of downgrading my CK version to play CK+ without issues.

What features/tweaks will I be losing as a non Viking/pagan by rolling back the old gods patch?

The much-improved tech system, and several new de jure Empires as far as I can recall.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Rumda posted:

They are the Arabian empire in 867

Brutus Salad posted:

Abbasids are e_arabia,East Francia is k_germany.

Thanks, got it. For some reason when I put the colors of k_germany and e_arabia into hex they were different then the colors on the map so I assumed they were the wrong titles. Updated the link with a few changes.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Captain Beans posted:

What features/tweaks will I be losing as a non Viking/pagan by rolling back the old gods patch? The new technology system is all that comes to mind.

There's a beta CK2+ that works with Old Gods here.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure it works with the latest patch (but not the beta on Steam)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I think the most suitable music I've got seems to be Neu!'s Hero. I don't do this "metal" thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYeVvp8sdmg

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Saith posted:

There's a beta CK2+ that works with Old Gods here.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure it works with the latest patch (but not the beta on Steam)

It just got updated to non-beta too.

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010
Unfortunately in both TOG-compatible versions of CK2+ it looks like there is a major bug with AI pagans not forming higher titles. Anyone know a fix for this? It's unplayable as-is.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Great, I've been wanting to play since the DLC came out. Just a few more hours and sweet incest simulation is mine.

on that note, has anyone played Aztecs with the new rules? I love the historical games, I do, but sometimes I want to kick back and indulge in human sacrifice and hilariously ironic reverse-colonization.

If they get their own rules for sacrifice, etc. then I'll have to bring some hand lotion to tonight's gaming session.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, can anyone chime in on this: I've installed the latest version of CK2+ but nearly everyone's coat of arms is still messed up. The HRE's CoA being used by the Byzantines, Venice using the Roman Empire's CoA, etc. I was thinking this was a 2.00 beta thing, but the release version is still jacked.

On the Paradox forums, some dudes are also experiencing it but Wiz's game is fine. I've cleared my cache but it's still not working out. Anyone experiencing this too?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

Seems like CK2+ has it so that you can't loot without sieging. Every province has 100% of its cash protected by fortifications. Is this a bug (I did change it so reformed Norse could still raid, but I'm currently unreformed) or a deliberate decision? I prefer the way it works in vanilla, where you can loot a little bit without sieging anything. Is there some kind of middle ground where you don't get the insane amounts of cash you get in vanilla, but can still do fast hit and run raids?

I enjoyed lightly raiding the byzantines and then running back on my boats before their armies could get to me. This is now impossible in CK2+, you need to have a protracted siege to get any money so raiding anyone you don't outnumber is out of the question (unless their doomstacks are being used in a war).

Wow, that would suck. I usually travel around and loot only the unprotected parts of province wealth, deliberately using small armies that cannot siege castles. I kind of roleplay it, because I don't think the real vikings were in the habit to siege down all castles when they looted the countryside. Also pretty sure that it must be a bug, how would you get any raiding done as a one province count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It was a bug and it's supposedly been fixed in today's CK2+ version.

• Locked thread