Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Going to edit this into my original oath complete post, but wanted to post it down-thread too. I based my storm troopers, all 8* of them (it's pretty :effort: but this is what I'm doing instead of studying)

*I oathed 6, 2 with special weapons and 4 with their normal weapons. I forgot which 4 they were, and did the entire squad anyways :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Going to edit this into my original oath complete post, but wanted to post it down-thread too. I based my storm troopers, all 8* of them (it's pretty :effort: but this is what I'm doing instead of studying)

*I oathed 6, 2 with special weapons and 4 with their normal weapons. I forgot which 4 they were, and did the entire squad anyways :v:

Alright, thanks for letting me know: you've got your 1 basing point. (As an aside, this isn't All Based Out, which is a bonus you can do by going all-out on a mega-awesome base; it's just the regular point you get for basing minis in your oath.)

Johnasaurus
Jun 10, 2013
I, Johnasaurus, oath that I will paint this Infinity Gogo Marlene model, in 28mm.

Awww, a baby!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I JesusIsTehCool Oath this Games Workshop Vindicator for the month of June!

I JesusIsTehCool am making an Oath addition of two Games Workshop Rhinos and will attempt to lay claim to A Painted Theme of Dark Angle Battled Damaged Vehicles!

So I am almost done with my Vindicator so I thought I would take try two more vehicles, just hope this doesn't turn me into an oath breaker :ohdear:

If anyone has any suggestions for me on my vindicator they would be most appreciated.

I tried pre and post shading it with an airbrush, I liked the way it turned out, but I was worried it was to dull. After exploring some options I tried to put some decals on and I have struggles to get them seamless, but I am pretty sure with a little more work they will get acceptable.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Leperflesh

I posted my In Battle picture.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

If anyone has any suggestions for me on my vindicator they would be most appreciated.

You might want to try some more weathering around the tracks and the blade at the front - scratched metal, dirt etc.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I, Ripley, oath that I will paint these four Space Wolf Skyclaws from Games Workshop (on Micro Art Studio bases).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

PierreTheMime posted:

:siren: I, PierreTheMime, oath a themed group of 5 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch, a Herald of Tzeentch, and a Portalglyph marker! :siren:
All models are of the Games Workshop variety.

:siren: I, PierreTheMime, make an oath addition of a 2x2' Realm of Battle board! :siren:
This is a Games Workshop product.

This is my Display Board entry!

I've decided to try my hand at getting a full board put together in time for Armies on Parade late this month. I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew, but I'll stake an oathbreaker on it!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

PierreTheMime posted:

:siren: I, PierreTheMime, make an oath addition of a 2x2' Realm of Battle board! :siren:
This is a Games Workshop product.

This is my Display Board entry!

I've decided to try my hand at getting a full board put together in time for Armies on Parade late this month. I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew, but I'll stake an oathbreaker on it!

OK, just making sure you're aware you don't have to oath the Display Board, right? The Display Board is a separate competition with no time limit and a separate prize at the end of the season, but if you want to oath it for June that's fine.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Achmed Jones posted:

I oath the following for June: Socrates, by Reaper Miniatures; Sabertooth Tiger Man, by Reaper Miniatures; 4 Gladiators, from Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery by Gale Force Nine

Derlix posted:

I, Derlix, do hereby oath for the month of June to paint one Infinity Kempeitai, and one Helldorado Hybrid Blademaster!

PST posted:

I PST hereby Oath to paint 2 Battlefleet Gothic Imperial Cruisers for June. Made by Games Workshop.
Awwww, it's a baby!

Johnasaurus posted:

I, Johnasaurus, oath that I will paint this Infinity Gogo Marlene model, in 28mm.
Awww, a baby!

Ripley posted:

I, Ripley, oath that I will paint these four Space Wolf Skyclaws from Games Workshop (on Micro Art Studio bases).

PierreTheMime posted:

I, PierreTheMime, make an oath addition of a 2x2' Realm of Battle board! This is a Games Workshop product.

Accepted.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I JesusIsTehCool am making an Oath addition of two Games Workshop Rhinos and will attempt to lay claim to A Painted Theme of Dark Angle Battled Damaged Vehicles!

Accepted. Be careful with that dimly-lit triangle though.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

krushgroove posted:

OK, just making sure you're aware you don't have to oath the Display Board, right? The Display Board is a separate competition with no time limit and a separate prize at the end of the season, but if you want to oath it for June that's fine.

Wait, so I can work on a display board for 2-3 months and still be in for the special prize for display boards?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Manifest posted:

Wait, so I can work on a display board for 2-3 months and still be in for the special prize for display boards?

While I have to complete it in the next 10ish days in order to achieve my personal goal for the board, it's good to know that others will not have such a limitation. It should probably be edited in, because I totally thought it was an oath-based thing.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Sole.Sushi posted:

Accepted. Be careful with that dimly-lit triangle though.

Sorry if I missed something but what are you referring to? Are you talking about the flash reflection off the screen?

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Sorry if I missed something but what are you referring to? Are you talking about the flash reflection off the screen?

Dark Angle (in the sense that it doesn't mean a swarthy Brit)

e:

Manifest posted:

Yeah, I am pretty sure you can do it as an alternative universe oath - I think that's even one of the examples in the OP.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Oh wow, I was didn't notice the underlined typo. Now I feel like an idiot...

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

PierreTheMime posted:

While I have to complete it in the next 10ish days in order to achieve my personal goal for the board, it's good to know that others will not have such a limitation. It should probably be edited in, because I totally thought it was an oath-based thing.

I'm totally going to make a rad one from scratch...

Or buy a realm of battle table and magnetize one tile to be my board.

Germ
May 7, 2013

I Germ, being of broken mind and unwholesome intent, do hearby oath to paint these 4 wrecked vehicle markers (which were produced by me, and are vaguely the shape of a Necron Annihilation Barge and are therefore 28mm in scale) for the month of June.

As these are markers/game aids, I'm going to claim I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01
I'm also going to try and count these as Terrain for the end-of-the year terrain draw.
Aww, Hell - does a squadron of 4 wrecked vehicles count as a Themed Group?

How did I make these beasts, you ask?

I started off by tracing the outline I wanted onto MDF, cutting it out with a saw, and rasping the edges to a bevel with a rasp.

Then I piled up the wreckage, carved from plasticard, rocks, bass strings, and epoxy putty. I even carven some pieces of foamed pvc with files to get it to look vaguely similar to some the shapes one might imagine an Egyptian Space Robot might use. Vague representations only, no IP infringement.

I built a mold box out of foam core, and sealed up the edges with sulfur-free modeling clay.

I used TAP Plastics Platinum Silicon mold material. It's a bit pricier than I'd like, but I don't have a vacuum pump (yet!) and this stuff doesn't need degassing. It's fluid enough to lose the bubbles on its own.

I poured the mold. Notice that fin sticking up? gently caress. So did I. After I poured the mold. I wasn't willing to waste the mold material I'd need to get everything up to the level needed to cover the fin. Instead, I opted to cut some keys and smash some Amazing Mold Putty over the fin. In case you weren't aware, Amazing Mold Putty is well... Amazing. It's the yellow blob you'll see in the subsequent pics.

I cut a hole in a box to let the Puttied fin hang down, and poured a cast using TAP Plastics Quik Cast. It's so fast, it doesn't have time for the extra c! I've used several different types of resin (including Smooth-On), and this is the best I've used. It is VERY fluid - again, no need to pressure cast or de-gas, particularly if you dust it with talcum powder first. Perfect for the home caster.

The first cast always has random bits stuck in it.

About 40 minutes later, and I've got 4 more! These are about 4 x 6 inches in area, maybe an inch or two high.

A crappy close-up showing some of the detail.

Germ fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 11, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Germ posted:

I Germ, being of broken mind and unwholesome intent, do hearby oath to paint these 4 wrecked vehicle markers (which were produced by me, and are vaguely the shape of a Necron Annihilation Barge and are therefore 28mm in scale) for the month of June.

Accepted.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Sole.Sushi posted:

Gimme a shot of that barrel after priming it, with a timestamp, and we're good.

Ugh, missed this post, been painting for a week now. Here's what that barrel looks like now:

I took two pictures since I couldn't get a decent shot of it in front of a screen. I primed the thing white to paint it purple and blue.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Under 15 posted:

Ugh, missed this post, been painting for a week now. Here's what that barrel looks like now:

I took two pictures since I couldn't get a decent shot of it in front of a screen. I primed the thing white to paint it purple and blue.

Accepted.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

This is really cool, I'm glad they turned out so well. I'm very jealous

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
It's one thing running this and just looking at all the awesome stuff coming in as you organize it. It's another thing entirely I have learned to choose which stuff is the most awesome, and have much respect for all the hard work I put the 3 judges last year through. But it's a new year, with a new hat for me and it's time for:

No. Wait... I mean:

1 Point: Ledgem

I had to do a bit of googling around to see what an Angelius looks like by default. And I found the default pose pretty meh for such a big thing. However, you mounted it on a fantastic looking ice block and appear to have adapted the tail to drape around it. This changed it from some basic 'come at me' stand off stance, to a perched behemoth about to go after some nibble he spotted.

2 Points: Namenlos

NMM is intimidating to a lot of people, and I remember your great chrome hammer job. But to do that on an entire tank and not have it look like rear end? That takes skill and I'm willing to bet, more than a little patience. A shiny silver chrome star for you!

3 Points: TarDolphinorShark

Plague marines are always a fun conversion since it's usually just adding a fat belly, some guts and sores. You came up with a unique idea, found a way to artistically sculpt it, and took the time to add in extra details within that, such as the eyes. Trying something different and off the wall can backfire, but you got something neat going here and I'm eager to see a full army at the Chaos under the Sea dance.

Bonus Theme Point: Red Shoe

This was really the hardest part this month and why I took so long. EVERYONE did a great job of including all their paints or taking multiple photos of what they did. I went in with the view of "If I wanted to duplicate this paint job, who did the best job of showing all their steps?". Very nearly gave it to A_Bluenoser since each photo was of a tiny amount of paint, a description of what paint and how they did it. Comparing it to Red Shoe's though, he went the extra step to describe modeling issues (like straightening the axe), as well as the thought processes behind why he did certain things like the axe runes.

I won't even bother to give honorable mentions as there are far far too many. The first month of oathing is always great, but this was really an impressive showing. Keep it up everyone!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 11, 2013

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

In the google docs tracking, bghman has been awarded some of my one time bonus points.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wooo! all the judge's points are in, let's see who the points leaders are after the first month and any corrections have to be made.

This is a great time to remind everyone to check their points totals and request any changes - the links are all in the second post of the thread, so check there every now and then to have a look.

It's interesting that so many people are doing several one-time bonuses in their oaths - my idea was that people would do maybe one bonus per month (I tried to come up with 12 one-time bonuses) and just have fun with it, but I know some of the bonuses are pretty easy so a lot of people are getting them done and claiming points.

Anyway, I've re-edited the rules for Dioramas, Display Boards and Get Based Out so it's a bit clearer:

Dioramas, Displays & Bases
You can earn 2 points for doing a diorama and another point for a display board. These will also be judged at the end of the year, with the top scorers for each getting a sweet prize! You can also make a really nice model base that could earn you judge’s points.

PLEASE NOTE that the rules for these mini-competitions are slightly different to normal oathing, and the Get Based Out rules are different to the Diorama and Display Board rules (one entry for each mini-competition per participant, Get Based Out entries must be announced and finished within a month - but there is no penalty for not completing it, Dioramas and Display Boards are treated as Alternate Universe oaths).

Diorama
2 points for completing, AND you can earn a sweet prize for having the best base, based on the judges' votes!
No additional scoring points to be earned from judges' votes
Separate prize for winner based on judge’s scores: a $25 gift voucher prize, courtesy of goon Zhent!
Everyone knows what a diorama is - basically a scene that you create, assemble and paint using one or more miniature models. Post a picture of your unpainted diorama (with timestamp) before starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging! The completed pictures of your diorama must be from various angles.
Note: Only one entry per participant.
TO BEGIN your Diorama, post a timestamp picture of the model(s) you will be including in your diorama with 'This is my Diorama entry' in your post. The diorama must then be completed before the oath season is finished (the end of April 2014) to be eligible for judging.
When complete, post 'This is my Diorama entry' with your completed picture.

Display Board
1 point for completing, AND you can earn a sweet prize for having the best base, based on the judges' votes!
No additional scoring points to be earned from judges' votes
Separate prize for winner based on judge’s scores: a $25 gift voucher prize, courtesy of goon Zhent!
What’s a display board? Basically it’s nice themed display for your army to sit on. Large tournaments have judging categories for displays, or just use it in your gaming display at home. For examples, see here: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?11490-Tutorial-Building-an-Army-Display-Board and here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/234170.page and here: http://www.thehogsofwar.com/category/display-board or just Google it: https://www.google.com/search?q=warhammer+display+board
One entry per participant. Post a picture of your unpainted display board (with timestamp) before starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging! The completed pictures of your display board must be from various angles with your army/faction in place.
TO BEGIN your Display Board, post a timestamp picture of the model(s) you will be including in your diorama with 'This is my Display Board entry' in your post. The display board must then be completed before the oath season is finished (the end of April 2014) to be eligible for judging.
When complete, post 'This is my Display Board entry' with your completed picture.

Get Based Out
0 points for completing, AND you can earn a sweet prize for having the best base, based on the judges' votes!
EXTRA scoring points to be earned from judges' votes
Go all-out making a base! Use your skills and equipment to make a really excellent base that is still playable on the table. 'Playable' means legal and usable for whatever game system the miniature is use for, so no 5" high plinths for a 40K model, no huge building bases for a Flames of War unit, etc.
This mini-competition is different to the two above, because you can submit ANY base you do this season as your Get Based Out entry - you don't need to do a separate base just to qualify. Your Get Based Out entry may be part of any oathed model, or it may be a separate oath on its own, but it DOES NOT need to be oathed as a separate piece. However, it should be completed in one oathing month (no spending months and months making a base for a single model).
TO BEGIN your Get Based Out entry, post a timestamp picture of the base with the model(s) you will be putting on it with 'This is my Get Based Out entry' in your post. The base must then be completed before the month is finished (the end of April 2014) to be eligible for judging. If you don't finish your Get Based Out entry, just quote your post and say that you weren't able to do it and submit another entry at a later date. Don't do this too often, however!
When complete, post 'This is my Get Based Out entry' with your completed picture.

------------

The intent was that Dioramas and Display Boards would basically be Alternate Universe oaths (post your intention and finish by the end of the oath season) and the Get Based Out would be a normal oath to finish withing the month but with no penalty for not finishing it. In the original edit of the OP I forgot to put in that we should have a starting picture however (just to show you have started it during the lifetime of this oath thread), so that's been edited into the rules and the GBO rules clarified a bit (at the cost of a few extra words, sorry). I'm not sure if the diorama should be limited to one per person, but we'll probably get just a few entries for everything so I didn't want one person flooding the competition with entries.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

Get Based Out

Hypothetical question time.. sorry :) If I made a 'get based out' entry early on and succesfully completed it, would I be able to supercede that first entry with a newer (and potentially better) 'get based out' entry at a later date?

Secondly, is making the base part of the oath? or is it just applicable to the painting of the base? I only ask because I've begun building a base that could potentially be a 'get based out' entry but haven't oathed the construction of it, I was just planning on doing that for the part when it's ready to receive some paint :) (I have been taking WIP photos though to show off later on)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

Hypothetical question time.. sorry :)

oooh, I love hypotheticals! :D

quote:

If I made a 'get based out' entry early on and succesfully completed it, would I be able to supercede that first entry with a newer (and potentially better) 'get based out' entry at a later date?
No, because if you could supercede your entry that would encourage someone to post 10 months of Get Based Out entries, or dioramas or display boards, until they get one they think is a Golden Daemon winner. I don't think anyone would do that, but they could argue that it was legal. Plus, it could be a nightmare to manage on the spreadsheet, and there's already plenty of tracking Leperflesh has to do.

quote:

Secondly, is making the base part of the oath? or is it just applicable to the painting of the base? I only ask because I've begun building a base that could potentially be a 'get based out' entry but haven't oathed the construction of it, I was just planning on doing that for the part when it's ready to receive some paint :) (I have been taking WIP photos though to show off later on)

If you or anyone else has already started construction of your Get Based Out entry, post a timestamp picture of where you are at the moment and say it's your Get Based Out entry. The idea of the optional oath for Get Based Out is that a) you do it within one month instead of over several months, and b) you don't HAVE to oath the build of your base, but if you are doing a model and want to use its base as your entry, this is the way to do it. You also have the option to do just a base as your oath, or make it part of your oath but of course if you do oath it and don't complete it, you fail your *entire* oath, don't get points, aren't eligible for any judging or prize draws and have to start a new Get Based Out entry the following month. This is why I made oathing Get Based Out optional - I want it done within one month but with no penalties for not finishing it

I appreciate the questions, it helps me make sure the rule as written makes sense and are fair!

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Nice things about my conversion.

Thank you for the kind words and extra points. I was not expecting to get any judge attention. When the theme is right I will probably oath and convert the termies i have too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Working from home today, which means I get to paint while getting paid! :woop:

Finished up my Portalglyph marker, utilizing some water effect for practice for the pools I intend to make on my battleboard.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Germ posted:

Thanks for including all the photos and steps, this is bloody interesting and inspiring to see! Really tempted to try it out when I've got time later this year.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Bachtere posted:

:shivdurf:Judge Time!:shivdurf:

2nd Place, 2 Points: Fuegan

Not only did the slime effect turn out awesome, but from top to bottom the other parts of the models are just as cool and filthy. The horns/teeth/claws, the open wounds, the skin, all of it maintained a consistent tone.

Thanks dude. This was really awesome to check up on when I got back from a pretty hectic weekend. Really behind on my painting so far so need to get cracking on the current oath!

Germ
May 7, 2013

I say, I do declare .... OATH COMPLETE!

I'm gonna try and claim some bonuses here, so stop me if I overstep things.

As these are markers/game aids, I'm going to claim I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01
I'm hoping that wrecked vehicle markers fit the Detektiv's Jurnal of Battle Damage pretty well.
I'm also claiming Speed Painting, though I probably should have waited for the polyurethane varnish to dry before applying the static grass. Oops.

Stuff I'm not so sure about :
Does this count as Terrain, as well?
Not sure if it's a Themed Group or not.
I'm also not sure if a scratch-build counts as a Conversion or not? In progress shots of the bulid, molding, and casting are in the original post.

Here are some other shots, with Necrons for scale.

And here's a comparison with the non-wrecked vehicle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kommando posted:

In the google docs tracking, bghman has been awarded some of my one time bonus points.

Whoops! Thanks for catching that. Should be all fixed now.

Germ
May 7, 2013

The Supreme Court posted:

Thanks for including all the photos and steps, this is bloody interesting and inspiring to see! Really tempted to try it out when I've got time later this year.

No sweat! I reckon the best use of events like this is to get inspiration and motivation from others. I know I'll be stealing... er borrowing plenty of ideas from others. If you have any questions about the casting process at all, let me know. It's a lot easier to get into than most people suspect, and the results can be pretty awesome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Germ posted:

I say, I do declare .... OATH COMPLETE!

I'm gonna try and claim some bonuses here, so stop me if I overstep things.

I'm hoping that wrecked vehicle markers fit the Detektiv's Jurnal of Battle Damage pretty well.
I'm also claiming Speed Painting, though I probably should have waited for the polyurethane varnish to dry before applying the static grass. Oops.

Stuff I'm not so sure about :
Does this count as Terrain, as well?
Not sure if it's a Themed Group or not.
I'm also not sure if a scratch-build counts as a Conversion or not? In progress shots of the bulid, molding, and casting are in the original post.

Alright Germ, I'm delighted with your work but you're definitely testing some edge cases for some of the categories, so I've given it some thought and here's where I'm at.

First, I think that "terrain" and the "I rolled a 6!" categories are kind of mutually exclusive, or are intended to be. Terrain is usually static environmental obstacles and stuff you put on the board for a tabletop game, whereas "game aids" I think is intended to focus more on counters, tokens, chits, rulers, angle measurers, blast markers, objective markers, and so forth.

My question to you is, what exactly are your wrecked ship thingies? If they're just "rough terrain" you'd put on the board at the start of a fight, I'd call them Terrain. If they're "wrecked vehicle" markers that you put on the board when your stuff gets blown up, I'd call them game aids. If they're somehow dual-purpose, like you could use them for either one, then I think you've been very clever and maybe they're both, but I want to consult with krushgroove before I just plop them into both categories.

You definitely get speed painting, no question there. I think conversion and terrain might also be exclusive - converting is usually intended to apply to miniatures and not (for example) basing decoration. You've also kind of thrown me a bit for both conversion and the theme... because you actually built one thing, and then made a mold of it, but what you painted was a solid piece of resin cast. So the things you actually painted weren't, technically speaking, converted/customized.

If someone bought resin models at the store and painted them up, we wouldn't give the point for converting them. Likewise, we wouldn't give the battle damage Jurnal points if someone didn't add damage to their resin models. So, my question then is, to what extent does your work on making your mold master "count" for the purposes of the monthly Oath? I'm not sure and again I think I'd better chat with krushgroove about it.

I do think that if you don't get the 2 points for this month's Jurnal, your in-progress shots should qualify you for the 1 point for doing a past Jurnal instead (May).

Themed Group is another one where I don't think Ineptmule really anticipated someone might try to qualify for with something other than groups of miniatures. I think I'm going to leave it up to him to decide if a group of terrain/markers on a theme can qualify.

So, putting all that together: I applaud you for your creativity and I want to award you lots of points for it but I also want to be impartial and fair to everyone else. So let me get back to you on most of the above.

edit:

It might be worth it to quote this from the rules:

quote:

Hey, what about terrain! I make terrain. Let me paint my terrain! Can I paint terrain? Terrain.
Okay, okay! For any of you that want to paint terrain, here’s your chance to do so. Terrain is a bit difficult to decide the minimum on, because of the various scales we’re dealing with, but we’ve simplified things so that you just need to paint and base terrain of a certain base size for the minimum oath. The number of pieces needed to satisfy the minimum oath will vary according to the scale you are doing:

Category > Scale > Minimum
Tiny > 6mm > two pieces approx. 1”x2” each or one larger piece approx. 1”x4”
Small > 25-30mm > two pieces approx. 1”x6” each or one larger piece approx 2”x6”
Average > 25-30mm > one piece approx. 4”x5”
Large > 25-30mm > one piece approx. 5”x8” or larger each

In the picture you take of your unpainted terrain, you’ll need to include a ruler of some sort so we can can figure out how large your terrain piece is. And remember the oath is for PAINTING the terrain, not BUILDING it - so unless you really want a challenge, build your terrain piece first, then oath it.

Naturally, you can have something extremely tall but on a small base - in this case put the ruler leaning against the terrain and it should be fine. We don’t want to get into mathematical formulas of surface density here!

I've bolded the part that is critical here. If this is terrain, the fact you built it does not earn you points for converting, nor give you a default battle damage bonus.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 11, 2013

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Finished up the Herald of Tzeentch:

Two models down, five more and an entire 2x2' surface to go. :suicide:

Germ
May 7, 2013

Aw hell, my intent isn't to get undue points. Chalk it up to ignorance about what counts for what. I'm a stupid newbie, after all. These are the markers used for wrecked vehicles in 40k after they get blown up. Size is approximately 4 x 6 inches, ruler is shown on a one inch grid on one of the in progress picks. I took the detektivs journal literately, and went for something representing all-out battle damage.

Whatever you give me points for, I'm fine with! No arguement here. The first three ones I feel fit really well, the others are, as written, questions, not claims or arguements.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

First, I think that "terrain" and the "I rolled a 6!" categories are kind of mutually exclusive, or are intended to be. Terrain is usually static environmental obstacles and stuff you put on the board for a tabletop game, whereas "game aids" I think is intended to focus more on counters, tokens, chits, rulers, angle measurers, blast markers, objective markers, and so forth.

Would, say, a dice tower disguised to look like a building count for both?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

Alright Germ, I'm delighted with your work but you're definitely testing some edge cases for some of the categories, so I've given it some thought and here's where I'm at.

First, I think that "terrain" and the "I rolled a 6!" categories are kind of mutually exclusive, or are intended to be.
Yes, they're intended to be separate things. A marker, set of dice or template is one thing, the blast markers I would call terrain for sure. In 40K wrecked vehicles are kept in place and count as terrain as well as hard cover, and craters mark blown-up vehicles (or start the game as terrain) and count as difficult terrain to cross as well as soft cover.

quote:

I do think that if you don't get the 2 points for this month's Jurnal, your in-progress shots should qualify you for the 1 point for doing a past Jurnal instead (May).
Yes, definitely the May Detektuv's Jurnal counts here - while making the terrain is fabulous and it looks great, I can't say it really counts as adding battle damage to a model.

quote:

Themed Group is another one where I don't think Ineptmule really anticipated someone might try to qualify for with something other than groups of miniatures. I think I'm going to leave it up to him to decide if a group of terrain/markers on a theme can qualify.
Yes definitely, calling Ineptmule !

Germ posted:

Aw hell, my intent isn't to get undue points. Chalk it up to ignorance about what counts for what. I'm a stupid newbie, after all. These are the markers used for wrecked vehicles in 40k after they get blown up. Size is approximately 4 x 6 inches, ruler is shown on a one inch grid on one of the in progress picks. I took the detektivs journal literately, and went for something representing all-out battle damage.

Whatever you give me points for, I'm fine with! No arguement here. The first three ones I feel fit really well, the others are, as written, questions, not claims or arguements.

No worries - with any new set of rules, whether it's a board game, tactical wargame or painting competition, there's going to be a need for judgement calls to be adjudicated, that's just something we're going to have to deal with for the first 2-3 months as people try all the new things available to them. You've got a lot of things going on in your oath, from an Oath Thread rules point of view, so don't worry about it :) The wrecks look great by the way! I am going to be trying my first castings in the next few weeks, I just have to make my mind up on what to try first, I have tons of ideas and things I want to make...

Dagon posted:

Would, say, a dice tower disguised to look like a building count for both?

OK now you're just trying to complicate thing! :colbert:

A dice tower is definitely a 'gaming aid' and building is definitely 'terrain' so in this case yes, a dice tower disguised as terrain would definitely count for both. And it gives me an idea of something to make! In addition to a dice tower disguised as a building, how about a turn counter disguised as a clock tower? Or a dice corral disguised as an animal pen? ;)

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 11, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm also doing a diorama / fancy base - I definitely got the impression that we didn't need to post it somewhere.

(Linked to big)

Anyway that's where I'm at right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks, that was my fault totally. I guess I'd meant to include something in the OP about posting your intention to make a diorama or board, but never got around to actually adding in HOW to do it! Thanks for letting us know :)

• Locked thread