Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pallas_Cat
May 2, 2009

Absolute Unit

Why does he need to specify that they're "serial monogamists"? Is it that uncommon these days to only date one person at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Democratic Pirate posted:

The thing I don't get is why the men were able to follow her (him? going with her) once they got out of the car. Unless she couldn't make the bike move any faster than a walking pace, it's not that hard to outpace a couple of guys on foot when you're on a bike. Just pedal faster for ~10 seconds and if they manage to keep pace, they'll be too winded to yell anything.

Look at this thin privilege right here, thinking its *easy* to pedal faster. :smug:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dahlia posted:

Why does he need to specify that they're "serial monogamists"? Is it that uncommon these days to only date one person at a time?
I think he means going straight from one long term relationship to another rather than dating around a bit before settling down with someone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the concept of "trigger warnings", there are people that throw that term around as if they will literally explode into meaty chunks if you mention the word 'diet' or 'transvestite' around them. Tumblr is jam-packed with people like that.

If you have to say "Just so you know, I will go off on you if you say THESE THINGS in conversation", that's not a trigger warning, that's you being way too sensitive about human interaction. It's one thing to be upset by someone saying something you don't like, but it's a whole separate deal if you go out of your way to tell people that those things will upset you before you even talk to them.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

CJacobs posted:

I like the concept of "trigger warnings", there are people that throw that term around as if they will literally explode into meaty chunks if you mention the word 'diet' or 'transvestite' around them. Tumblr is jam-packed with people like that.

If you have to say "Just so you know, I will go off on you if you say THESE THINGS in conversation", that's not a trigger warning, that's you being way too sensitive about human interaction. It's one thing to be upset by someone saying something you don't like, but it's a whole separate deal if you go out of your way to tell people that those things will upset you before you even talk to them.

Triggering is a legitimate concept used in certain types of therapy to help a patient become more aware of certain situations that set off their anxiety/PTSD/depression/whatever (e.g. in PTSD patients it would probably be something that reminds them of their trauma) in order to learn to cope with these triggers in a healthy manner, rather than responding in an inappropriate and unhealthy way that may be harmful to themselves or others or make it difficult if not impossible to function in society.

Tumblr has taken a legitimate therapeutic tool that helps a lot of people who really need it and turned it into this milquetoast "please do not talk about giraffes/fat people/going outside because it makes me uncomfortable" whine.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Tumblr has taken a legitimate therapeutic tool that helps a lot of people who really need it and turned it into this milquetoast "please do not talk about giraffes/fat people/going outside because it makes me uncomfortable" whine.

They've also taken the prefix trans* and turned it into basically anything they want. I've seen people say they are "trans-fat" because they were trying to gain weight.

They were fond of calling cis people "cissies" to the tune of "die cis scum"

It's rather terrifying how off-the-rails the entire Tumblr social-justice culture has gone

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I think he means going straight from one long term relationship to another rather than dating around a bit before settling down with someone.

I've also heard it used to refer to people who are in a monogamous relationship, then there's a break-up and they go gently caress other people, and then they get back together with each other in a monogamous relationship. It's a cycle that happens over and over for them - they want to screw other people but they want to be able to say they're in a monogamous relationship.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Dahlia posted:

I think that means, instead of (as a single person) going on dates (as opposed to dating) with multiple people and then really hitting it off with one and dating that person exlusively, you only go on dates with one person, and if and when they don't work out, going on dates with another person.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm pretty sure the dude's just taking a snipe at those whores :mrapig:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

"Serial monogamy" isn't some new coinage. People have been saying it for decades. Examples:

Pop psychology magazine article: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-the-name-love/200810/is-serial-monogamy-worth-pursuing

Academic journal article: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12110-009-9060-x

Another academic journal article: http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/267/1449/1259

Dictionary citations: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/serial-monogamy

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

tacodaemon posted:

"Serial monogamy" isn't some new coinage. People have been saying it for decades. Examples:

Pop psychology magazine article: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-the-name-love/200810/is-serial-monogamy-worth-pursuing

Academic journal article: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12110-009-9060-x

Another academic journal article: http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/267/1449/1259

Dictionary citations: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/serial-monogamy

Seriously, anthropology and sociology at least have been using the term for decades (though to mean multiple marriages rather than dating exclusivity).

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My wife showed me this thread on r/gaming where it appears that the most important outrage for reddit is girls thinking that the hero of the Legend of Zelda series is a girl.

an r/gaming user posted:

Ive seen a lot of them on girls who weren't even gamers. I had a waitress last week with a triforce tattoo on her arm and I asked if she liked Zelda games and she said how awesome they were and how great it is to see a woman in a powerful role. She then proceeded to tell me was and I quote "A huge gamer girl" I asked her who the hero of the games is and she said "Zelda. The games are named after her and all" and rolled her eyes like I was a retard.

For women its just like having a "I love nerds" shirt. Its just a fashion trend/statement meant to cash in on what they think is meant is a cool thing to do.

Just like there was a time women all proclaimed their love for gay men and wouldn't constantly talking about their gay friends and so on as if a gay man was a fashion accessory. Now its about being either goth/emo or its being the cool and hip gamer nerd chick.

"Feh, hah. Silly females getting a permanent tattoo on their bodies just to get my precious and coveted attention. I bet you think Link is a girl, too. :smug:"

The whole "Girls think Link is Zelda" idea is apparently a common refrain among r/gaming when they circlejerk over how women can't possibly like LoZ as much as they do.

source

Speedboat Jones has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Jun 11, 2013

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Speedboat Jones posted:

My wife showed me this thread on r/gaming where it appears that the most important outrage for reddit is girls thinking that the hero of the Legend of Zelda series is a girl.

"Feh, hah. Silly females getting a permanent tattoo on their bodies just to get my precious and coveted attention. I bet you think Link is a girl, too. :smug:"

The whole "Girls think Link is Zelda" idea is apparently a common refrain among r/gaming when they circlejerk over how women can't possibly like LoZ as much as they do.

source

If the web series Video Game Reunion is to be believed, Zelda just had a better agent than Link.

To be honest, I was confused over the star being Link and not Zelda when I played the first one decades ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, thinking Link is Zelda and thinking Samus' name is Metroid are some of those universal 'everyone had that problem as a kid' things. Unless you read the manual or the back of the box that is, but who does that?

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
(via tumblr)

No, no a Disney Parks employee did not spontaneously initiate a conversation with a guest about their self-harm scars. This is eldar-futhark runes levels of sad.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Grabbing a random person's arm and waving it around seems like a completely normal, non-psychotic way to entertain amusement park guests.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

Grabbing a random person's arm and waving it around seems like a completely normal, non-psychotic way to entertain amusement park guests.

That picture had 8,708 notes, so people totally bought it. But how?? The face characters go through tons of training on how to interact with the guests, and I am 100% sure that really personal topics like scars, disease (chemo baldness), physical disability, etc. are expressly forbidden to be mentioned. Why would anyone bring that up to a stranger, let alone when you're on the job? :ughh:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quote:

(I work at a DJ in a club. Although I do take requests, I play them where they will fit into the set so that it isn’t weird and everything flows together. On this particular night, it is kind of slow. I start a new set with some slower rap songs; there is a dance floor with 20 to 30 people on it.)

Me: “Hey, what can I do for you?”

Customer #1: “Can I hear You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC? Everyone loves that song, and everyone is going to dance. They will love it!”

(The music currently playing is ‘Swimming Pools’ by Kendrick Lamar. It is 68 beats per minute, and hard rap. The song the customer is requesting is in the 130 bpm range.)

Me: “Sure, I will play it as soon as I can.”

Customer #1: “Can you play it next?”

Me: “Probably not, but I try to get it in as soon as I can.”

(She walks away. Approximately two songs go by; the customer returns.)

Customer #1: “Well, are you going to play my song? Do you even REMEMBER WHAT SONG I TOLD YOU?!”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, AC/DC’s You Shook Me. I have to think of the dance floor right now, but I will play it as soon as I can fit it in with other music.”

Customer #1: *cheerfully* “THANKS!”

(It should also be noted that I have her song, and the other songs that I am going to play with it, in the song-queue and ready to be played soon. I’m at around 120 bpms, but the dance floor is now around 40-50 people. I get rated by the owners of the Bar/Club by how well I am at getting—and keeping—a dance floor. I get either a nightly bonus or a raise based on the dance floor.)

Customer #1: *startling me* “ARE YOU F****** STUPID! I SAID I WANT THE GOD D*** SONG PLAYED NOW, YOU C***!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m getting to it. It’s going to be played in the next five minutes. When I feel that I can reasonably put it in and keep the dance floor, I will play it. I will even buy you a drink for your wait. Okay?”

Customer #1: “No! You’re going to play it now! I am a paying customer! I am f****** rich, so I don’t need your handouts!”

Me: “Well, I’m sorry you feel that way.”

Customer #1: “F*** you, and this place! You were never going to play it! And stop grinning like you’re so great! I make more money than God, and I could buy this place and fire your piece-of-s*** a**! How f****** hard is your job? PLAY MY drat SONG NOW, YOU SON OF A B****!”

Me: “Firstly, I’m sorry you feel this way, and won’t wait patiently like everyone else. Secondly, God doesn’t make money, so therefore a child finding a penny on the street makes more money than God. Thirdly, my job is keeping a dance floor, it’s how I get paid, raises and bonuses. Fourthly, I was going to play your song, but now I’m not so sure.”

(Suddenly, Customer #1 tries to punch me, and then smashes her glass and another customers drink on the floor and storms out. Then I see another customer, Customer #2, come walking inside followed by the very irate Customer #1. Customer #1 is visibly yelling, being held back by security as they try to haul her outside. I turn down the music. I do this, because everyone on the dance floor is watching her and no longer dancing. I turn it down so I and everyone else can hear the screaming better.)

Customer #1: *to Customer #2* “How f****** dare you call me white trash! I’m so much better than you! I own the mall down the street! I work for the state finding people like you places in [trailer park] because you’re f****** poor!”

Customer #2: *laughing hysterically* “No, you work down at the mall. You own the 5th trailer in [trailer park], on [street address], and your name is [customer #1's name].”

Customer #1: “I’LL F****** KILL YOU!”

(Customer #1 pulls out a small blade. The security guard throws her to the ground. They take the knife away, and hold her there until the cops come. As they are arresting her, I stop all music to dead silence, and speak over the microphone.)

Me: “To the woman getting arrested, here is your requested parting gift!”

(I crank the chorus of ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’ by AC/DC all the way up as she’s being hauled off. I can see her trying to break free and get to me while she mouths ‘YOU SON OF A B****!’. Everyone starts cheering.)

Both this guy AND some random person gets a sweet bon mot on this girl who really wants AC/DC RIGHT NOW GOD DAMAGHHHH

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

Secondly, God doesn’t make money, so therefore a child finding a penny on the street makes more money than God.
:iceburn:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

I am f****** rich, so I don’t need your handouts!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ&t=34s

:confused:

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

I keep rereading that part, and I'm completely mesmerized by it. It's just got it all. The writer's palpable smugness in his bizarre attempt at wit. The stiffness of dialogue crafted in the mind of a person who has seemingly never heard humans speak. The counting (all the way to "fourthly"). The autism. Truly this is the poo poo that didn't happen.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I guess the bouncers were just holding her there so everyone could continually bon mot her one after another.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
"I get paid by the number of people on the dancefloor, so naturally I completely turn down the music anytime someone has an argument."

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Retter posted:

They've also taken the prefix trans* and turned it into basically anything they want. I've seen people say they are "trans-fat" because they were trying to gain weight.

They were fond of calling cis people "cissies" to the tune of "die cis scum"

It's rather terrifying how off-the-rails the entire Tumblr social-justice culture has gone

Going to the Tumblr poo poo, they've also developed (I say "they" because I'm assuming one of them made it) their own gender neutral pronouns. Xe like xeir pronouns. And god forbid you refer to them as male or female.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

If this were said in a different context, you could read it where the customer was an atheist getting iceburn'd.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Roro posted:

Going to the Tumblr poo poo, they've also developed (I say "they" because I'm assuming one of them made it) their own gender neutral pronouns. Xe like xeir pronouns. And god forbid you refer to them as male or female.

I'm just gonna call everyone Ugly from now on. Man, woman, child, and all permutations within and without.

Flights From Hell posted:

This spring I found myself in the departure queue at the San Jose airport in Costa Rica waiting to board a flight back to Canada via the states. Glancing around I noticed that I was to share the flight with a group of American college students. You’d think that being enrolled in a school of higher learning that some of them would have caught on by now. I’m writing about “Common Sense”. It’s cannot be taught at school and for some it must learnt the hard way. Now I’ve noticed over the years that students and the “establishment” quite often don’t mix. This is one such story. These kids, old enough to know better, were fed up having to wait in line – What is taking so long? Dump my water before boarding? Not, I’m not going to empty my backpack again. And so on and so on.

A wizened traveler, I listened and grinned. This was going to be good. Latin countries I’ve discovered usually run on a more relaxed pace and showing respect is only courteous. Well two classmates, a guy and a girl, decided that enough was enough and that they’d show those security guys a thing or two. We’re Americans and we don’t tolerate this kind crap was their attitude. Well it didn’t take long. To give the Costa Rican security team credit, they listened to the gibberish spewing forth for about a minute, smiled and ignored them. The kids seeing no results raised their voices (big mistake). Out came the portable radios. Before anyone could blink these two kids were surrounded and stiff armed to the side of the queue and promptly strip searched right there against the wall in front of us all and none too gently at that. Off came the shirts, belts, jeans, socks, backpacks were emptied and water bottles dumped. Faces beet red, the two were left there to stand in their boxers, panties and bra while their passports were slowly scrutinized. The girl by the way was wearing a cute pink bra. In shock the rest of their classmates reformed ranks straight as an arrow and there was dead silence from them until final boarding. It was a pleasant boarding experience for me, no noisome kids mouthing off, just respect now oozing profusely from all of them.

1. This person is really smart, so they say- but not too smart to know what "wizened" means.
2. The antagonists just decide to start screaming at a security checkpoint for fun?

What probably happened:
American college students were being loud and annoyed this guy.

and the bra thing is creepy as gently caress

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

http://www.reddit.com/r/DAE/comments/1g0938/dae_want_to_start_a_sex_cult/

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Initiation of new members will involve a public ceremony during which the initiates will have to perform some kind of symbolic sexual act on an existing member of the sex cult. For women, this could be oral sex and/or baptism by semen; for men, I'm not sure, maybe the same on women?

It's a pyramid scheme of blowjobs & lick outs.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

bringmyfishback posted:

o

1. This person is really smart, so they say- but not too smart to know what "wizened" means.
2. The antagonists just decide to start screaming at a security checkpoint for fun?

What probably happened:
American college students were being loud and annoyed this guy.

and the bra thing is creepy as gently caress

It's not like college students are usually just wild or anything. It's that they're AMERICAAAAANS! :argh:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Das Boo posted:

It's not like college students are usually just wild or anything. It's that they're AMERICAAAAANS! :argh:

According to the Europeans I know, Americans actually are a lot louder than they think they are. That may be skewed by the fact that tourists in general are pretty goddamn obnoxious, though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

According to the Europeans I know, Americans actually are a lot louder than they think they are. That may be skewed by the fact that tourists in general are pretty goddamn obnoxious, though.

Anecdotal story: Canadians are known to wear Canadian flags on themselves when abroad, so as to not be mistaken for Americans.
High chance of STDH, but it must have happened at some point I guess?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Djeser posted:

Both this guy AND some random person gets a sweet bon mot on this girl who really wants AC/DC RIGHT NOW GOD DAMAGHHHH

I'd have think they'd have gone for a Bon Scott.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Das Boo posted:

That and they have should known to be quiet/courteous because they go to a "school of higher learning" (because I guess just saying college sounds too lowbrow). Most students are fine, but college is definitely not the kind of place that's going to make you quiet and polite if you weren't already.

And yes, that bra detail was completely unnecessary and creeped me the gently caress out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

According to the Europeans I know, Americans actually are a lot louder than they think they are. That may be skewed by the fact that tourists in general are pretty goddamn obnoxious, thoug

In SE Asia, they say the same about the German tourists. :v:
I've just always figured that for every obnoxious tourist from (x) country, there's a dozen of his countrymen who are acting appropriately. You just don't know where they're from until they loudly confirm it.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

As a European, I've actually only found this to be true for Californians....

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

What the serious gently caress ?! I really hope this is ~ironic, lol~. I'm not even sure how someone can come up with the concept of "Baptism by semen"

For what it's worth I once read that they'd done polls and poo poo and that French tourists were apparently the most hates since they just keep on complaining. Being more or less French, I can totally believe that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've always heard that Russian tourists are the worst, on the grounds that if you live in Russia and are rich enough to be a tourist, you will have the social grace of a medieval aristocrat. v:shobon:v

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I have anecdotal stories about terrible American, Russian, British, Australian, and German tourists. But it's not like there's some kind of lovely Tourist Index that we can use to make apples-to-apples comparisons between our various anecdotes, so let's get back to STDH.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

People over here in Britain tend to talk with their head voice; it's softer and doesn't carry as far. Americans, especially those from California and Florida, seem to talk from their chest. The sound's a little more... Booming.

NB. This is based on anecdote and some understanding of voice quality from singing lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are you guys serious? "In my opinion, all Americans are loud because of science" is a loving step to the left of "in my opinion all French people smell bad because science" or "all British people have bad teeth because science."

They're all stupid xenophobic stereotypes.

• Locked thread