Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm saying how can you even tell whether your app crashed with such helpful stack traces?

As an aside they wouldn't have to redact it if there was some way to confirm your account's user is under the NDA. Kinda lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Man, that sounds super not exciting.

I'm really hoping it's just that they haven't had time to do the new Frameworks yet... Because really anyone getting a crash report should be at least a degree of separation away from a registered developer, right?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Very happy with the new stuff this year.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Tried the new iOS build out. Loving it. :D

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Come on Apple :rolleyes:

Fluo rainbow is so summer 2012 :j:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

hackbunny posted:

Come on Apple :rolleyes:

Fluo rainbow is so summer 2012 :j:

I think it looks much nicer on a device than in these screenshots.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Glimm posted:

I think it looks much nicer on a device than in these screenshots.

The fact that it's physically smaller and does that parallax thing really does make it way better than you'd expect.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The icons are still terrible, though.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
You can now transfer apps to another dev account in iTC. Just FYI.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Anyone else here at WWDC? Free to meet up?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I'm not at WWDC but I work two blocks from the Moscone Center if people want to meet for lunch or something.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

I'm not at WWDC but I work two blocks from the Moscone Center if people want to meet for lunch or something.

That would actually be pretty cool. Lunch, then?

(-> PM?)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Ender.uNF posted:

You can now transfer apps to another dev account in iTC. Just FYI.

This is honestly the best thing about all of this.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Hopefully this isn't breaking NDA, but can anyone else get an app with a deployment target less than iOS 7 to build and run on a device within Xcode 5 DP? When I try I get "Could not read from the device" errors. (the device is running iOS 7 beta 1)

edit: also, we go to bugreport.apple.com to file bug reports, yes?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

edit: also, we go to bugreport.apple.com to file bug reports, yes?

Yes.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
That's what I thought. But it just looks so... old. Still has pinstripes, instance.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Hopefully this isn't breaking NDA, but can anyone else get an app with a deployment target less than iOS 7 to build and run on a device within Xcode 5 DP? When I try I get "Could not read from the device" errors. (the device is running iOS 7 beta 1)

I created a new "Empty Application (Universal)" app, changed the deployment target to iOS 6, and it runs fine on my iPod touch with iOS 7 beta 1.

Xcode crashed once in the process, but it's working right now.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
It turns out that deleting the app from the device and then trying again makes it work.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

WWDC videos are showing up!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Anyone else here at WWDC? Free to meet up?

At WWDC waiting for next session

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

WWDC videos are showing up!

Dammit I already watched those. Way to get me excited. I want some sweet sweet iOS sessions. I'm guessing they'll throw all of them up at the end of the day in a few hours.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Hughlander posted:

At WWDC waiting for next session

Meet up for lunch tomorrow?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Let's do it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
If this is breaking NDA I apologize, but building my existing application from the same code point in XCode-DP to an iPhone 7.0 simulator (or to a 7.0 device) causes my app to be very much broken. However, downloading my app from the app store (same code tag) has it running just fine on a iOS 7.0 device. I take it the act of building from new Xcode to iOS 7.0 isn't working 100% yet or am I just that bad at coding?

If this is breaking too much NDA I'll shut the gently caress up and remove this post.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doh004 posted:

If this is breaking NDA I apologize, but building my existing application from the same code point in XCode-DP to an iPhone 7.0 simulator (or to a 7.0 device) causes my app to be very much broken. However, downloading my app from the app store (same code tag) has it running just fine on a iOS 7.0 device. I take it the act of building from new Xcode to iOS 7.0 isn't working 100% yet or am I just that bad at coding?

If this is breaking too much NDA I'll shut the gently caress up and remove this post.

There's a new compiler. Does building in the new Xcode and targeting iOS6 work?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rjmccall posted:

There's a new compiler. Does building in the new Xcode and targeting iOS6 work?

Yep, just verified that.

It builds just fine, but a whole bunch of UI components are completely wrong and things are crashing pretty hardcore. I expected some funky graphical differences, but not this much :stare:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 11, 2013

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I have an app that experiences general weirdness under iOS 7 when built with Xcode 5. Biggest problem is that the main view controller has a toolbar at the bottom, but the toolbar isn't shown at the bottom of the screen. In fact, the entire view controller's view is shown at 3.5" size instead of 4" size.

And if I so much as open any of the XIBs in Xcode 5, building and running on the device makes stuff near the top of the view hidden under the navigation bar.

It seems like Apple is assuming everyone is using storyboards and autolayout now, and I don't use either...

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 11, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Hopefully the actual release will have a bit more in the way of compatibility.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, I have an app that experiences general weirdness under iOS 7 when built with Xcode 5. Biggest problem is that the main view controller has a toolbar at the bottom, but the toolbar isn't shown at the bottom of the screen. In fact, the entire view controller's view is shown at 3.5" size instead of 4" size.

And if I so much as open any of the XIBs in Xcode 5, building and running on the device makes stuff near the top of the view hidden under the navigation bar.

It seems like Apple is assuming everyone is using storyboards and autolayout now, and I don't use either...

The navbar has lost its gradient and everything seems to have shifted up about 20pt too much. Clicking on various UITableViewCells crashes (sometimes) and things are getting drawn in an odd order. I too don't use StoryBoards or AutoLayout.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doh004 posted:

The navbar has lost its gradient and everything seems to have shifted up about 20pt too much. Clicking on various UITableViewCells crashes (sometimes) and things are getting drawn in an odd order. I too don't use StoryBoards or AutoLayout.

The issue with that is that each view controller's -wantsFullScreenLayout property is now ignored and assumed to be YES, which means part of the view will get drawn under the (now transparent) status bar. No idea why they'd ever think this was a good idea beyond the whole blurred transparency! thing.

edit: the biggest problem i'm having is that I can't use custom keyboards in ios 7. One of my apps shows an alert view that has a text field for numeric input. On iOS 6 and earlier, I can set this text field to use a custom keyboard I've made (the built-in numeric keypad doesn't let the user type in negative numbers, and doesn't exist at all on the iPad) and it works fine. On iOS 7, even when building with Xcode 4.6, it doesn't work and just shows the normal keyboard.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if iOS 7 doesn't allow custom keyboards anymore.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 11, 2013

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I asked this one a while ago (a year?) and never got to use that advice, so I'm wondering if anything changed in the meantime. Will likely be able to use it this time.

I have a REST-style api (HTTP method driven, no resource exploration and all that jazz) that I'd like to call from an app. I'd like to minimize the pain of turning the JSON blobs into objects and vice-versa. Easy cookie support for auth is pretty much essential. Ideally it'd also have some functionality to support call queueing for spotty network situations etc.

What are my options as of mid 2013? AFNetworking with 8k github stars seems to be a pretty strong contender here.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 11, 2013

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'd go with AFNetworking. I don't know if it does authentication, though.

As to JSON, iOS has its own JSON de/serialization class that's pretty easy to use if all your stuff is in regular Foundation objects and containers (or can be easily put into regular Foundation objects and containers). Check out NSJSONSerialization

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Does anyone have much experience with ruby motion? I've done a decent amount of coding in objective C, but I'd prefer to program in ruby if I can.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 12, 2013

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

chumpchous posted:

Does anyone have much experience with ruby motion? I've done a decent amount of coding in objective C, but I'd prefer to program in ruby if I can.

Look, I would give my left arm for actual C# support in Xcode/LLVM; lambdas/closures, LINQ (joining, grouping, aggregates, projections, et al), Expression trees, async/await, Parallel Task Library, generics, etc. I find more and more I write functions that take functions and return functions since type inferred lambdas are so drat easy and clean, but I still have standard imperative tools too and a handy class library. Stuff like dynamic are awesome for certain scenarios, and the Rosyln stuff that exposes the C# compiler as a service makes analyzing and generating code fantastic. In my dream world, Apple comes out with an Objective-C# language.

That said, when I started doing iOS apps I learned Objective-C and went back to header files and retain/release like a cave man because that's the platforms native language and tool chain (you kids using ARC are spoiled). I like to think it helped me really learn and use the SDK the way it was meant to be used. I could have used MonoTouch, but I'm glad I went native.

My advice is take the time, use the native tools, and you'll learn something new no matter how experienced you already are. You'll also discover how advanced Objective-C really was when it was first created and be amazed that it started life as a C pre-processor.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doc Block posted:

The issue with that is that each view controller's -wantsFullScreenLayout property is now ignored and assumed to be YES, which means part of the view will get drawn under the (now transparent) status bar. No idea why they'd ever think this was a good idea beyond the whole blurred transparency! thing.

Whhhhyyyyyy? Does this mean I need to offset my viewControllers or something?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Whhhhyyyyyy? Does this mean I need to offset my viewControllers or something?

Read the docs!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
How you do it is up to you.

iOS 7 support is going to be a lot of work for a lot of people. Trying to support both iOS 6 and iOS 7 while having your app look good on both is going to be a major pain...

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
On the plus side, most customers will be able to upgrade to iOS 7 without much fuss, since it extends back to the 4. Hopefully that doesn't make it as slow as molasses, like 4 did to the 3G, as I recall.

On the other hand, the new multitasking and backgrounding stuff sounds to me like we're going to see a lot of unhappy people wondering why their batteries are dying so quickly. It also means that we might actually start having to explain to people how to kill background applications. Wasn't it supposed to be a bad thing when we had a task manager?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

pokeyman posted:

Read the docs!

The UIViewController doc hasn't been updated yet, but this was on the iOS7 page: https://developer.apple.com/library...0013174-CH6-SW1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Axiem posted:

On the plus side, most customers will be able to upgrade to iOS 7 without much fuss, since it extends back to the 4. Hopefully that doesn't make it as slow as molasses, like 4 did to the 3G, as I recall.

On the other hand, the new multitasking and backgrounding stuff sounds to me like we're going to see a lot of unhappy people wondering why their batteries are dying so quickly. It also means that we might actually start having to explain to people how to kill background applications. Wasn't it supposed to be a bad thing when we had a task manager?

Not a fan of the new multitasking. The actual APIs for it are OK, but I detest the UI. It's pretty much a literal rip-off of the webOS multitasking UI, including replacing the tap-and-hold to kill apps with the swipe up to kill apps gesture.

And, because users can't restrict the Background App Refresh thing to wi-fi only, expect to see a lot of customers getting angry when Facebook sucks up all their battery and burns through their data plan. At least the automatic app updates are only done over wi-fi.