Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Pretty sure price cut is imminent. Here comes Ambassador.

I honestly didn't think they would announce a price cut, but now that the PS4 is only $50 more I think they kinda have to. $300 for Mario Kart + premium bundle or something would go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

treeboy posted:

If Nintendo can show some superlative first party games, especially new/like new IP, as well as even one or two solid third party exclusives due out in the next twelve months, while pushing free online and asymmetrical multiplayer (and possibly a ambassador program) they could really gain a huge boost from the crash and burn that is the XBone.

C'mon Nintendo. I believe.

Pretty much this, but also they aren't really competing directly with either the PS4 or the Xbone, what with them not having most of the same cross-platform games or kind of market. Unlike Microsoft, Nintendo didn't go all-in on a 7-2 off-suit against Sony's pocket nines.

At this point, even if the Wii U is completely hosed, they still got the 3DS. :shrug:

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Nintendo's best shot at this point is at least a $50 price cut (no time to be embarrassed about doing it half a year after launch, it needs to be dropped by fall), and show a bunch of really cool Nintendo-quality titles coming by the end of the year.

They won't be the King under the Mountain again, but they'll have a shot to be the second console.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well, the bright side for Nintendo is that they're down to one competitor this gen.

Don't think Nintendo is to worried about competitors as long as they employ this guy and actually release AAA Mario games.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

That reminds me, Miyamoto and Reggie are gonna have interviews with Keighley over on GTTV tomorrow. Hopefully Keighley asks some more tough questions and Reggie gets flustered and gives really dumb answers again.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

CrushedB posted:

Nintendo's best shot at this point is at least a $50 price cut (no time to be embarrassed about doing it half a year after launch, it needs to be dropped by fall), and show a bunch of really cool Nintendo-quality titles coming by the end of the year.

They won't be the King under the Mountain again, but they'll have a shot to be the second console.

The problem is they're tremendously understaffed. They did not have the teams to handle those HD games and they're paying for it big time. Pikmin 3 was a launch title, now it's coming out almost a whole year after the console's release. Do you honestly think they're gonna have the next big Mario out the door by the end of this year?

They could, but that would require some sort of effort. Something Nintendo never shows.

quote:

That reminds me, Miyamoto and Reggie are gonna have interviews with Keighley over on GTTV tomorrow. Hopefully Keighley asks some more tough questions and Reggie gets flustered and gives really dumb answers again.
When's the last time this happened? What happened? Because that sounds great.

I remember when the WiiU got announced everyone was pushing Reggie about the online capabilities and "Specifically HOW MUCH stronger is it than the 360?" and he was up against a loving wall all E3-long.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I think it's more likely they just sweeten the bundle. $350 deluxe with Nintendoland and NSMBU or a deluxe with Nintendoland and Mario Kart U.

If i'm wrong and we get an ambassador deal again, well that's ok also.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
I would certainly like to see a price drop, especially if that comes with another ambassador program, but, frankly, the pressure isn't on them to drop the price yet. When the PS4 and XBone hit, then yes, they need compelling software and an install base, but right now, they're still in a race of one. A bundle with Mario Kart or even Smash Brothers would put them in a good position before the holidays, by which point they probably will have dropped the price.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

J Detan posted:

I would certainly like to see a price drop, especially if that comes with another ambassador program, but, frankly, the pressure isn't on them to drop the price yet. When the PS4 and XBone hit, then yes, they need compelling software and an install base, but right now, they're still in a race of one. A bundle with Mario Kart or even Smash Brothers would put them in a good position before the holidays, by which point they probably will have dropped the price.

They would be stupid not to drop the price right now while it's a race of one. Waiting until their chances of success drop to nil before acting would be a terrible business decision. If they drop the price right now and really push the console it'll punch the competitors in the gut. I'm tired of them saying "Oh hurr we're not competiting with Microsoft and Sony" when the truth is far from that.

I reached G-rank in MH and I haven't turned the WiiU on in a month. It is actually now in a drawer collecting dust because I had to make room for my PS3, the one that has games on it. An ambassador program might make me set it up again once I'm done with The Last of Us and KH1.5.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 11, 2013

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
They'd be smarter to offer new bundles and an ambassador program until October to not only sweeten the lot for potential customers but also push brand loyalty with early adopters. $50 price cut is a bit of a nutshot to people who bought it only six months ago

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What they could do is put out a new bundle at $300 (not technically a price cut since that's what the Basic costs), but with more stuff in the box. That'll make it easier to play off the suggestion that they're panicking, and emphasize value.

But yeah, I wouldn't say no to ambassador perks.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

The problem is they're tremendously understaffed. They did not have the teams to handle those HD games and they're paying for it big time. Pikmin 3 was a launch title, now it's coming out almost a whole year after the console's release. Do you honestly think they're gonna have the next big Mario out the door by the end of this year?

They could, but that would require some sort of effort. Something Nintendo never shows.

It could happen for some of them. Retro's last game was DKCR which and announced and released in the same year three years ago, and EAD Tokyo's last game (which wasn't even their full staff, IIRC) was Super Mario 3D Land which was also announced and released in the same year. Mario Kart might be a tight squeeze since MK7 was only a year and a half ago, but given how much new they add in those games and the predicament Nintendo is in, an HD-ified and upgraded MK7 with expanded online and added content could happen.

I don't expect a lot of 2013 dates for a lot of their games (X, SMT x FE, Yoshi, Bayo 2, Smash, or Retro), but Nintendo can push things out if they feel the squeeze.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Given the rumors of them getting rid of the Basic, I'd be very surprised if they didn't drop the price of the Deluxe to $300. That seems drat near certain to me, at this poitn.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

treeboy posted:

They'd be smarter to offer new bundles and an ambassador program until October to not only sweeten the lot for potential customers but also push brand loyalty with early adopters. $50 price cut is a bit of a nutshot to people who bought it only six months ago

The Zombie U bundle was already a nutshot as far as i'm concerned :smith:

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

What they could do is put out a new bundle at $300 (not technically a price cut since that's what the Basic costs), but with more stuff in the box. That'll make it easier to play off the suggestion that they're panicking, and emphasize value.

But yeah, I wouldn't say no to ambassador perks.

I think it's about equally likely for this or a price cut. Actually advertising the console would be nice too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

treeboy posted:

The 3DS received a far more severe price cut and the ambassador program on it is nothing short of a disaster. Used 3DSs can be bought with the amb. program enabled on it (because Nintendo is dumb as gently caress and doesn't know what an account system is) and actual loyal customers who have owned the 3DS since day one are still waiting on ambassador games to come out, if they ever do, because Nintendo hates the virtual console/emulation/money.

Despite all this, the 3DS now prints money because of the pricecut and everyone and their mother owns it. It is honestly an awesome value and has a lot of badass games on it, games that wouldn't have existed if it didn't get that price cut. The WiiU is in the exact same position the 3DS was in.

Moral of the story? Make product have reasonable price = more people buy product = more investors interested in product = everyone wins and if you bought it full price out the gate you knew what the consequences would be for impatience.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 11, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
With the Wii U Basic models being recalled, I'm expecting some serious deal sweeteners soon. Maybe drop the elite SKU to $300, have all future versions come with a downloadable copy of Nintendo Land instead of a disk (to encourage use of the eShop and external storage), and put out a new white console bundle with a pack-in game. Nintendo seems to have forgotten how to be aggressive in their business.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The spike in sales created by the 3DS price cut was pretty small, what really mattered what that they finally started releasing games after months of absolutely nothing. Sound familiar?

Even so, the Wii U situation isn't directly comparable because the Wii U has been sold at a loss from the very beginning, unlike the 3DS which was being sold at a hefty markup. Like the dude above said, they're more likely to value-add than cut the price.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I wouldn't mind Nintendo just giving everyone $50 eShop credit and make the console $50 less, they can do interesting things with the new system. Or give me a choice of free games for being an early adopter. Not that I would turn down some more VC titles, but doing that again just sets a precedent. WiiU probably should have launched at $199.99 and it would be doing fine. Hell the only reason I own one is because I bought an unopened Deluxe that was listed as "used" for $199.99 because the person bough it and didn't open it for 6 months, then listed the buyout for that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not to be all doom and gloom, but at this point I don't think even a $50 cut is going to work as effectively as they need, not when they are competing with the old consoles now all cut down to absurdly cheap and with the newer ones not too far off the current U price. They are caught in the middle figuratively and literally, apparently serving no large audience but a core of earlier adopters.

One comparison that I couldn't help notice between the 3DS and the U is that the former made several changes in its first year: the eShop, the improved eShop, the patching, the DLC, the Nintendo TV, the Nintendo Directs themselves... Nintendo heard the people and made several improvements that the 3DS required and some none expected, but in nearly one year that the U has been out no similar large changes have been made. The console is still without an account system, there's still no centralized standard for things like achievements and multiplayer, multiplayer features are still barebone at best, VC releases are only trickling at a speed only the Wii would appreciate... Making any of those changes wouldn't mean the console would suddenly become viable in the eyes of the people, but it would certainly mean Nintendo is trying to find flaws and fix them, instead of being stubborn and "doing their thing".

There's so much catching up to do it's astonishing. The one year head up they had over the new consoles has been pretty much wasted with neither Nintendo or the third parties using that time for much of anything. I do hope they can come up with a miracle today for their own sake.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Saoshyant posted:

the old consoles now all cut down to absurdly cheap

The new "redesigned" 360 will still cost the same, $200 for the 4GB model and $300 for the non-gimped 250GB one, that's far from absurdly cheap. In fact it's a loving rip-off.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I just want to play the Oracle games from my 3DS on my Wii U :negative:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

You'd think that wouldn't be much to ask, but here Nintendo are asking for $5 for SMB on the 3DS eShop and another $5 for SMB on the Wii U eShop. With everything that's happening, they still think they can afford to be that arrogant?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

The new "redesigned" 360 will still cost the same, $200 for the 4GB model and $300 for the non-gimped 250GB one, that's far from absurdly cheap. In fact it's a loving rip-off.

I wasn't even talking about the new model since I didn't know how much it costed (guess I do now, and if Microsoft wants to keep shooting themselves in the foot every step of the way, it's up to them). Amazon lists the Wii Mini as £79, the X360 4 GB as £130, and the PS3 Super Slim £140 (though apparently some places have sold it as cheap as £100). Those are established systems with huge libraries, which people who cannot buy newer systems will be all over for the incoming months. That's a large market segment lost for the U based on price alone. And then you have the PS4 at £350 in comparison with the U's premium at £270.

A small price cut isn't going to make enough of a difference to get either the customers with less cash nor the ones with enough cash to jump onto "next gen".

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Why? Can you imagine how much that tiny Game Boy resolution would be stretched apart on a modern TV?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well, it's fine if you scale it right.

(NOTE: Nintendo may or may not scale it right. The handling of NES games is awful.)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Getting near the final hours, here's another gif to start your hype/disappointment engines.

Still no confirmation we'll see more of this game.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You'd think that wouldn't be much to ask, but here Nintendo are asking for $5 for SMB on the 3DS eShop and another $5 for SMB on the Wii U eShop. With everything that's happening, they still think they can afford to be that arrogant?

On the bright side you can finally get Earthbound... On the Wii U... (Please buy it. We're finally listening to your cries for Earth Bound you just gotta buy our latest system to play it.)

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
The thing is there have been unofficial price cuts from some online retailers. (Instead of £299, I bought the premium for £224 last December. One month after release).

Also the virtual console 30p games are the unofficial ambassador scheme. Instead of free games they are giving early adopters almost free games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So when is this happening in EST? I thought a thread would've popped up soon if it was this morning.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

So when is this happening

http://www.e3countdown.com/

Nearly two hours to go.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

Bobnumerotres posted:

So when is this happening in EST? I thought a thread would've popped up soon if it was this morning.

http://e3.nintendo.com

Slightly under 2 hours.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Man this is going to be the first E3 Nintendo conference that I won't be able to watch live. I hate being gainfully employed sometimes :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

.TakaM posted:

Getting near the final hours, here's another gif to start your hype/disappointment engines.

Still no confirmation we'll see more of this game.

Wha... what is this??

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Macaluso posted:

Wha... what is this??

The next game from Monolith Soft: "X"

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Macaluso posted:

Wha... what is this??
Xenoblade sequel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are any of these streams going to be decent on mobile? I'm in labor and delivery but I don't think the baby is coming anytime soon.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

greatn posted:

Are any of these streams going to be decent on mobile? I'm in labor and delivery but I don't think the baby is coming anytime soon.

"PUSSHHH PUUSSSSHH PUUSSSHHH A TO CONTINUE"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

I assume you mean your wife is in labor or else that is some serious loving dedication to gaming.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm mildly disappointed that Nintendo isn't offering a free a free panorama tour of the E3 booth. That would be both a great promotion and some cool tech to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
So is anyone like working on a thread??

• Locked thread