Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kenny Logins posted:

A few tips from my recent experience: though it's tempting to get everyone on the super-offensive physical brawl/dual-wield/sword grasp train early on, especially given how spillover JP works, it actually makes the game really hard (or at least high-risk) if you neglect Chemist/White Mage/Black Mage/Summoner competency and defensive/control abilities from other classes (e.g. armor wearing, breaking). Some story battles will just be stacked such that your poo poo will get wrecked if you're over-specialized in one area with everyone. Sure, you could grind it out, but you're talking at least a couple dozen hours of grinding, and you run into so many unique characters who join up who are just plain better than generics. You can easily end the game without having any generics remaining in your party.

Any female character can use the Chantage which quite literally makes them immortal in the off chance that a combination of MP Switch/Move MP UP fail to absorb otherwise fatal blows. Any character with decent faith can just get a (mass) reraise from your lady(s) of math murder as well. The Chantage is amazing though. Permanent reraise is completely over the top and you just get back up on your turn, even if you're killed every turn.

Super monks (90+br >10fa, dual wield) are in pretty much the same boat, but you could always give them the Lancer's reraise counter if you don't want to use MP Switch. As long as you aren't killed in the first hit after reviving you'll just reapply it when hit. If they have Hamedo they're going to nullify a shitload of physical attacks as well.

Having someone with Item doesn't hurt, but in most cases it won't be necessary if you have a character (or two) that has setup their Math skill. If you can get something to absorb/nullify an element (IE: Rubber boots) you can use those to ensure you have the ability to hit everything and not hurt your own guys. In any fight where you don't have to save someone you can end it on the opening round with a Holy or Flare that hits everything instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
Sword and glory bits: confirmed that eagle eyes (+9 dominance to anyone higher level than you) is in the hunter chain, unlocks legendary hunter (needs level 13, ?).

Has anyone gotten past level 10? Ever?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You seem to be indsr the impression that i havent bought this game four loving times. I do appreciate your suggestions from OFS's LP though, because thwy are pretty good and generally what i do, though im mixing up the sexes this time so i can get bards and dancers much more easily. Everyone stays a squire util they have JP boost and stone, ramza gets JP Boost, Stone and Tailwind, and may make a return for his extra special leaderly abilities. My spellcasters to be are now chemists, and may grind out some there to give ramza some JP for auto potion, or 'how to break this game wide the gently caress open in the second act and make ramza an unkillable death machine'.

Auto potion owns is what im loving getting at. It may turn Ramza into an alcoholic but boy is it worth it.

Personally i stock to Agrias and Mustadio/Balthier for my uniques. Cid provides Ramza with thw first steps to becoming the doubleking. Everyone hS useful poo poo that annoys me by only being on certain characters. I like my uniques. They fought long and hard to help Ramza be the best half retarded, yelling, screaming, retard strength posing master of death that he is.

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003

sizuka2 posted:

Sword and glory bits: confirmed that eagle eyes (+9 dominance to anyone higher level than you) is in the hunter chain, unlocks legendary hunter (needs level 13, ?).

Has anyone gotten past level 10? Ever?

I've hit level 12 once. Never gotten beyond that. Eagle Eyes is also a level 9 Perk. So it is pretty late into the game. With Eagle Eyes (Level 9 Hunter, requires 3 or 4 prerequisite perks) and Hero of Oppressors? (Level 4 Freed Slave perk) that's a total +15 domination against higher levels. Helps quite a bit later on.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Super monks (90+br >10fa, dual wield) are in pretty much the same boat, but you could always give them the Lancer's reraise counter if you don't want to use MP Switch. As long as you aren't killed in the first hit after reviving you'll just reapply it when hit. If they have Hamedo they're going to nullify a shitload of physical attacks as well.

Have they changed Blade Grasp at all? Because with over 90 Brave I think it gives enemies a less than 10% chance to hit you, so that's another route to practical invincibility.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Nickoten posted:

Have they changed Blade Grasp at all? Because with over 90 Brave I think it gives enemies a less than 10% chance to hit you, so that's another route to practical invincibility.

Oh yeah that still works too. As does giving everyone on your team immune to an element and going crazy with mathematics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

duckfarts posted:

iPACROSS for iPad just went free, it seems to be a pretty decent picross game.

This app is really loving good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shwqa posted:

Oh yeah that still works too. As does giving everyone on your team immune to an element and going crazy with mathematics.

I just use MP Switch since with high brave it's going to work almost always and you could have 5 mp but it'll still take a 999 damage hit for you.

That LP's interesting in a few ways. He spends a bunch of time getting stuff setup for poach but never grabs a woodman/trent enemy (sometimes there's one in the fight to save Boco) which he can breed up the ranks to the top tier and then poach for a Defender (rare poach) making Agrias pretty powerful alongside the Holy Lance wielding Lancer Ramza.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

Darkn1o posted:

I've hit level 12 once. Never gotten beyond that. Eagle Eyes is also a level 9 Perk. So it is pretty late into the game. With Eagle Eyes (Level 9 Hunter, requires 3 or 4 prerequisite perks) and Hero of Oppressors? (Level 4 Freed Slave perk) that's a total +15 domination against higher levels. Helps quite a bit later on.

Champion of the trodden is the one you're thinking of. The next tier up seems to be level 13, and is probably the top end - 'legendary hunter', 'legendary warrior' etc.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

Beffer posted:

Warhammer quest is a bit of a chore frankly. Is the random level up progress part of the original board game? Because it is loving annoying.

I happen to really like it!

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
Warhammer: Quest is 90% moving your party to the next boring fight, 5% boring fights, and 5% restarting the level out of frustration. Regret the purchase.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

silly posted:

Warhammer: Quest is 90% moving your party to the next boring fight, 5% boring fights, and 5% restarting the level out of frustration. Regret the purchase.
WH:Q has similar system as Hunters and Hunters 2 (games by same company as WH:Q). But Hunters is just plain better. (Haven't played Hunters 2 yet.)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Aesis posted:

(Haven't played Hunters 2 yet.)

Yes, you have; you've played Hunters 1.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
You know, most of the issues that people seem to have with WHQ on iOS are actually issues with the original board game mechanics. Love it or hate it, it's faithful to the source material in almost every way.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

Yes, you have; you've played Hunters 1.
Hunters 2 is more satisfying though, and does have a very very short single player campaign. Worth a buck.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Stormfang1502 posted:

You know, most of the issues that people seem to have with WHQ on iOS are actually issues with the original board game mechanics. Love it or hate it, it's faithful to the source material in almost every way.

Definitely. It's simply a product of its time, by today's standards the mechanics aren't that good but it's a fun nostalgia trip for anyone who bought the boxed set and had those little bats on their stupid thin stands. I hope Games Workshop's given them the greenlight to expand on it even though I know that's unlikely.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
He also gave ramza two excaliburs to turn him into the DoubleKing.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm playing FFT for the first time and went a little crazy with the physical side. I have 2 generic guys with access to all the physical side classes, 1 generic girl with access to all the physical classes, Ramza has access to all the physical classes and 1 girl who's about to get Arithmetics. Maybe I should switch my physical girl to magic and then I'll be better prepared? As to where I am:

I just handed the princess over to the shady priest dude to take the machinest to the clockwork city. And I can't seem to find Katanas anywhere. I heard some are difficult to find so I shouldn't use them for Iaido?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SilverMike posted:

Definitely. It's simply a product of its time, by today's standards the mechanics aren't that good but it's a fun nostalgia trip for anyone who bought the boxed set and had those little bats on their stupid thin stands. I hope Games Workshop's given them the greenlight to expand on it even though I know that's unlikely.

Expand on it how? They've already said they intend to release additional characters and area expansions. If you mean expand beyond the bounds of the actual board game, though, then yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Then again, I'm still in love with it despite having like 25+ hours in it at this point.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Apocron posted:

I'm playing FFT for the first time and went a little crazy with the physical side. I have 2 generic guys with access to all the physical side classes, 1 generic girl with access to all the physical classes, Ramza has access to all the physical classes and 1 girl who's about to get Arithmetics. Maybe I should switch my physical girl to magic and then I'll be better prepared? As to where I am:

I just handed the princess over to the shady priest dude to take the machinest to the clockwork city. And I can't seem to find Katanas anywhere. I heard some are difficult to find so I shouldn't use them for Iaido?
You are about to unlock katana not in the clockwork town but the one after that. The problem with the physical guys is your about to get 2 unique character who have better abilities. Really though if you got samurai and mathematicians by then your probably fine. Also hold on to your butts because those next few missions are crazy.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Cloudchaos posted:

Missles for mechs is the best tower upgrade. The second point doubles the effectiveness, range be damned (those fuckers go anywhere), hit air targets and the recharge can't be longer than 10 seconds or so. Add in the fact that the mechs themselves have incredible attack speed and it's a no-brainer. I loved the DWAARP tower and moving on was hard but now it's all mechs, all the time for me!

Was the other way around for me, went from mechs to DWAARP because burning ground owns teleporters and invisible units, I don't "get" the drill upgrade though.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Paradoxish posted:

Expand on it how? They've already said they intend to release additional characters and area expansions. If you mean expand beyond the bounds of the actual board game, though, then yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Then again, I'm still in love with it despite having like 25+ hours in it at this point.

Yeah, exactly that. Given how easy it is to just keep playing the game in iOS form, I'd love to see the original monster and loot tables expanded to accommodate longer playthroughs and have some new characters and tilesets to screw around with. But being a GW IP I'd never hold my breath for any of that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SpookyLizard posted:

You seem to be indsr the impression that i havent bought this game four loving times. I do appreciate your suggestions from OFS's LP though, because thwy are pretty good and generally what i do, though im mixing up the sexes this time so i can get bards and dancers much more easily. Everyone stays a squire util they have JP boost and stone, ramza gets JP Boost, Stone and Tailwind, and may make a return for his extra special leaderly abilities. My spellcasters to be are now chemists, and may grind out some there to give ramza some JP for auto potion, or 'how to break this game wide the gently caress open in the second act and make ramza an unkillable death machine'.

Auto potion owns is what im loving getting at. It may turn Ramza into an alcoholic but boy is it worth it.

Personally i stock to Agrias and Mustadio/Balthier for my uniques. Cid provides Ramza with thw first steps to becoming the doubleking. Everyone hS useful poo poo that annoys me by only being on certain characters. I like my uniques. They fought long and hard to help Ramza be the best half retarded, yelling, screaming, retard strength posing master of death that he is.
So first I do apologize as I didn't hit the "?" to see your posts in this thread, didn't connect the dots to see you're really at least as familiar with the game as I. I didn't mean to talk down or anything but yeah, I was under that impression! I was also speaking really generally to anyone else who might be just now picking up the game, given that it is (was?) on sale for lower than it's ever been.

I think the LP isn't 100% exploitative of everything but the main take-away is that you can become pretty powerful in several different ways, and by layering them all together in a party it becomes wretchedly, sickeningly powerful. I tried to summarize the main strategy (which I think is at the end of update #2, and update #3) because it's pretty sound. I think a lot of people come to the game now from people tittering about ninjas and monks being totally broken, which isn't untrue but like I said, running with that and doing an all (or mostly) double-punch blade-grabbing team is actually really loving hard (but not impossible).

I've been following the general early-game flow of the LP and it's amazing how much easier the Dorter battle was when you have a Black Mage with a second-tier elemental attack spell and Shell/Protect from a White Mage. The White Mage is really pretty boring early on but your likelihood for failing battles basically goes to zero if you have one and (know how to) use it. Auto-Potion is nice but hardly even necessary for that reason. Also, monk OHKOs are obviously super-awesome but drat, it's also really satisfying to see a good opportunity line up for a Black Mage cast and have it totally wreck face.

Nickoten posted:

Yeah, it works by taking 100 minus your permanent Brave and that becomes the chance to hit you with basically all physical attacks. I think the highest you can permanently crank your Brave is 97 and it's slow but easy to do with Ramza's Squire ability from Chapter 2 on. Blade Grasp is a really, really good ability and stupid-high Brave dovetails with general physical potency anyway. As above it's instrumental to having one good tank but having a whole party of tanks is not such a great idea.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Am I wrong to get the impression that in Sword & Glory, there's a point at which you need to start boosting your level in the "pre-character" screen using Epic Points to be able to access certain parts of the content before your character gets too old? You can only boost them up to Level 5 (for 200 Epic Points) but that would still save a fair amount of time.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I want to purchase a new warrior in WQ. I don't want to buy all of them at once since I don't need them right now. The two I'm torn between is the Warrior Priest and the Archmage. Both have their goods and bads. But I'm leaning towards the priest for the healing and buff capabilities. Any suggestions?

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Kolta posted:

I want to purchase a new warrior in WQ. I don't want to buy all of them at once since I don't need them right now. The two I'm torn between is the Warrior Priest and the Archmage. Both have their goods and bads. But I'm leaning towards the priest for the healing and buff capabilities. Any suggestions?

I bought them all myself. So far, I'm really liking the warrior priest. His buffs are just amazing. The only issue is that it can be a bit of a crapshoot to get them off sometimes. Of course, with the Archmage, you're getting either offensive or defensive spells on a given turn, and only a certain amount of power -- so you may not be able to cast at all with him. At the very least, the warrior priest can beat things with a giant hammer, which is always awesome.

On the note of WQ, how are ya'll balancing your parties? I've been experimenting, and I'm liking my current setup of 3 Melee/1 Ranged. I'm using the Marauder, Trollslayer, Warrior Priest and Archmage for now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jump 10 cars? Check.
200+ combo? Check
Survive for 4:00 minutes?

:suicide:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I got up to level 13 in sword and glory. I took perks that gave me stat boosts more than fighting style perks, and i upgraded my home as soon as I could. I died as a legendary trader with 185,000 glory. I haven't made another character since.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Ok that Warrior Priest is OP. and I love it. Best choice! Next Archmage in a few weeks maybe.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jump 10 cars? Check.
200+ combo? Check
Survive for 4:00 minutes?

:suicide:

Most of the challenges can be trivialized with the double ammo and quick reload perks but the one that's a motherfucker for me is Kill 300 Zombies With Any Machine Gun because the ones I have access to are worthless. The game is just a grind now, there's no more actual challenge besides "play this for a long time" anymore. :\

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Most of the challenges can be trivialized with the double ammo and quick reload perks but the one that's a motherfucker for me is Kill 300 Zombies With Any Machine Gun because the ones I have access to are worthless. The game is just a grind now, there's no more actual challenge besides "play this for a long time" anymore. :\

Yeah the perks are cheap enough to have them every now and make the game considerably easier. I hate machine guns so not looking forward to that challenge at all.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I've stopped playing after my mission became "Get 200 double kills". I can get over a thousand kills no problem but it's so annoying to guarantee that enough are double kills for it to ever get there...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the 200 double kills is an rear end in a top hat challenge. I've got the antique rifle, but I dont think it's feasible without the combat shotgun, since the antique rifle doesnt hit hard enough to kill in one shot once the banshees show up.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Kolta posted:

Ok that Warrior Priest is OP. and I love it. Best choice! Next Archmage in a few weeks maybe.

I'm trying to level mine. I started over now that I understand the game and he's about to get level 2. For now, though, just the two buff abilities he has are awesome!

Archmage is also fun -- his damage ability, when you get the power to use it, is pretty cool -- always hits, and does 6-7 damage. Great for picking something off!

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, the 200 double kills is an rear end in a top hat challenge. I've got the antique rifle, but I dont think it's feasible without the combat shotgun, since the antique rifle doesnt hit hard enough to kill in one shot once the banshees show up.

I have the combat shotgun... the issue is that without quad damage, you won't always get two running enemies to die (it does like 95% of their health or something I swear) so you either have to go fairly slow and swerve around standing enemies and just repeat like that or you have to just constantly fire with the shotgun and hope that every other kill is finishing off at least 2 enemies.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

MrMoose posted:

I'm trying to level mine. I started over now that I understand the game and he's about to get level 2. For now, though, just the two buff abilities he has are awesome!

Archmage is also fun -- his damage ability, when you get the power to use it, is pretty cool -- always hits, and does 6-7 damage. Great for picking something off!

Maybe I spoke too soon. My party got massacred. Everyone's gone. Level 1's and 2's only on hardcore. Sometimes I think the game just wants you to start over. The amount of misses I got were unbelievable.... If that's my luck, I'm should stay away from Vegas.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Dont worry buddy im just loving with ya. The game is tits easy to beat with a minimum amount of grinding which is kinda bad because the difficulty curve spikes randomly, (Dorter :argh:, Riovannes, every multiple instance fight where youcan get trapped if you aren smart with saves) so it really helps to be above the expected curve, which can make a lot of normal battles really easy.

Items and other gear are tied to the story. They are your biggest money sink beyond ramzas crippling potion addiction which is basically a one time coast in comparison. Dont worry about giving em all to yur black mage to shatter as they OHK everything around them as a teleportin black mage samurai is the best thing.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Brain Curry posted:

I got up to level 13 in sword and glory. I took perks that gave me stat boosts more than fighting style perks, and i upgraded my home as soon as I could. I died as a legendary trader with 185,000 glory. I haven't made another character since.

I'm nearing level 12 and 150k glory right now but I'm at the invasion mission and really want to beat that. It's so frustrating how enemies can have so god damned many combat bonuses that just don't match their levels. Like when you're the same level but have to scroll to view all their dominance, defense and damage bonuses while your list is half inactive or passives and a quarter of the size. It may be a whine, but it's just not fair when you literally can't beat an enemy because of that poo poo, regardless of scale, especially with how odd the AI is in regards to randomly being super aggressive or passive to the point where they never attack.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So Warhammer Quest: how do you guys feel about the Jade Ring that comes with the War Priest? I thought a healing ring would be nice, but the random wounding is awful! Is there something that makes it not terrible or should I just sell it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

RedRupee posted:

I have the combat shotgun... the issue is that without quad damage, you won't always get two running enemies to die (it does like 95% of their health or something I swear) so you either have to go fairly slow and swerve around standing enemies and just repeat like that or you have to just constantly fire with the shotgun and hope that every other kill is finishing off at least 2 enemies.

SynthOrange posted:

Antique rifle plus double ammo, fast reload and second chance is doable, but it still took me several tries. I suggest doing it on the second level. Zombies seem to get more HP on harder levels or over time/distance on a particular map. It is possible to do it, though. First level might also work, but there are too few zombies starting out and it can get boring.

And maybe it's both good and bad, but when you beat that challenge, the next one is nothing. That's the final group of challenges until the add more.

• Locked thread