Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Funhilde posted:

What about leather shoe polish? there may be a way to put it on so it looks weathered and darker. This tutorial for a jacket may also help. Sounds like softening then scratching is the key.

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-distress-leather-jacket.html

This is a great idea! Thanks :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Progress worth taking a photo of!

Anyone got a solid recommendation for weathering some leather gloves so they don't look ...well, brand new?

Nice pep work! I can't wait to see the rest.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's more that they are too light (they are brown, just BRAND NEW brown) - Was thinking of maybe drizzling some heavily diluted paint on them to discolor and make them look a little grody.

Just as a heads-up, distressing leather tends to lighten it. You're essentially pulling off the finish, and the more you do that the more you expose the natural leather underneath, which is less stained and therefore lighter in tone.

If you want to darken the leather, you can do so by liberally applying an oil or grease to it. I would recommend using mineral oil; it will soak into the leather well without marking up everything you touch (like actual grease or engine oils will). You can also use kitchen oils, but keep in mind that stuff like corn oil or olive oil will eventually go rancid and leave you with stinky gloves.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

It's more that they are too light (they are brown, just BRAND NEW brown) - Was thinking of maybe drizzling some heavily diluted paint on them to discolor and make them look a little grody.

If you want to make them darker without completely destroying them, I'd use an actual leather care product like Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP that'll darken them as well.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Some more Daft Punk helmets for the thread - these won't be as cool as the one duros is crafting, though. I'm making them for a Tron club night at the end of the month, so time is of the essence. Hopefully I'll have enough time to at least do some of the light work, but, if not, I'll be adding that later on. Started out with paper models, then I'm covering them in resin, fiberglass, and bondo. Not sure how I'll do the front visors yet - any suggestions on the easiest way to do it (hopefully without having to build a vacuum mold) would be much appreciated. I've heard of thermoforming, but I'm not quite sure what that entails.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

PezMaster posted:

Some more Daft Punk helmets for the thread - these won't be as cool as the one duros is crafting, though. I'm making them for a Tron club night at the end of the month, so time is of the essence. Hopefully I'll have enough time to at least do some of the light work, but, if not, I'll be adding that later on. Started out with paper models, then I'm covering them in resin, fiberglass, and bondo. Not sure how I'll do the front visors yet - any suggestions on the easiest way to do it (hopefully without having to build a vacuum mold) would be much appreciated. I've heard of thermoforming, but I'm not quite sure what that entails.

Thermoforming is just a generic way to describe forming plastic (or whatever) with heat. Vacuum forming would fall under that umbrella. That's generally how I've seen other people make visors like that but maybe you could buy a large acrylic globe and cut it to size instead? Then if you had to warp the shape you wouldn't have to start with a flat piece and get a curve, but rather just relax/alter a curve.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Kind of a novice question, but I was thinking of cosplaying as Paperman from the Disney short film in the Wreck It Ralph movie. I already have the suit and such ready but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach all those planes to the suit. I was considering using saftey pins but would that damage my suit at all or would it go back to normal once I dry clean/press it. The only reason I'm worried is cause I use the suit for normal people things too.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

McPantserton posted:

Thermoforming is just a generic way to describe forming plastic (or whatever) with heat. Vacuum forming would fall under that umbrella. That's generally how I've seen other people make visors like that but maybe you could buy a large acrylic globe and cut it to size instead? Then if you had to warp the shape you wouldn't have to start with a flat piece and get a curve, but rather just relax/alter a curve.

The acrylic globe looks possible. I'd assume a heat gun would do the trick nicely. Thanks for the tip!

Of course, if that doesn't go well, it'll just give my husband and his buddy and excuse to build a vacuum forming box o' magic.

First layer of resin is on Guy-Manual, and Thomas is all glued. Hopefully all the fiberglassing will be finished by this weekend. I've also got to figure out some LED magic soon.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I wasn't planning on doing any more cons this year, but my girlfriend suddenly got it in her head she wants to go to DragonCon for her birthday, and she apparently has connections to make it cheaper for us.

She's going to be Dexter, of Dexter's Lab. She's short and has reddish hair. I'm tall and blonde, therefore my next project is this...

It's really very easily done, but never in my life have I dressed so girly. :blush: I'm gonna have to dye the tutu and such to be the correct color, which should be interesting.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I finished up the trimming of my Guy-Manuel helmet today. Now it's a matter of sanding it nicely, then buffing it.

There are a few minor dings in the chin that I can see, but a bit of sanding should make that better. :D

Any suggestions for the sanding? I pretty much have to buy whatever I need anyways, might as well get the right stuff for the job.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

TwystNeko posted:

So I finished up the trimming of my Guy-Manuel helmet today. Now it's a matter of sanding it nicely, then buffing it.

There are a few minor dings in the chin that I can see, but a bit of sanding should make that better. :D

Any suggestions for the sanding? I pretty much have to buy whatever I need anyways, might as well get the right stuff for the job.

looking fantastic!

For heavy duty sanding (removing chunks and smoothing it out) i use a dremel with a sanding drum attached.

Then you will want to most likely get grits 100 - 2000 and just wetsand the poo poo out of it until it is SUPER smooth.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm going to Connecticon next month and decided to go as Raylan Givens. (Boring I know but I kind of suck at making costumes from scratch so I pick simple ones)

I got to find where to get a cheap stetson and pair of cowboy boots. Also I am 98% sure you can't get a current US Marshals Badge legally so I'm looking at ones that are close, even though it's probably going to look with it's from the 1800's rather than today. Also need the holder for the badge. I already got everything else or can easily get everything else.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I need to add LEDs next to the buttons and close up the case of the Pip-Boy, but otherwise I'm pretty much done with the vital accessories for my Fallout Vault Dweller outfit.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Anoia posted:

I wasn't planning on doing any more cons this year, but my girlfriend suddenly got it in her head she wants to go to DragonCon for her birthday, and she apparently has connections to make it cheaper for us.

She's going to be Dexter, of Dexter's Lab. She's short and has reddish hair. I'm tall and blonde, therefore my next project is this...

It's really very easily done, but never in my life have I dressed so girly. :blush: I'm gonna have to dye the tutu and such to be the correct color, which should be interesting.

This is my favorite Dexter's Lab cosplay (so sorry, source is unknown)and I thought it might help you plan your costume:

Can you stand en pointe? Please don't hurt yourself attempting it! Looking forward to seeing you two at DragonCon.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

four lean hounds posted:

This is my favorite Dexter's Lab cosplay

Hopefully not for long. Work continues on the costumes for me and my brother. Making a nose out of ModelMagic was perhaps a pipe dream, but the hat came out stupendously.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I did this costume at DragonCon last year, it is the Grand Galactic Inquisitor from the Venture Brothers, and currently my sister and I are rebuilding it. One thing I need help figuring out is how to get the audio to work right on it without it feedbacking. Basically I used a portable PA system (like a megaphone) hooked up to a microphone, which was housed in the chest where his speaker is. The problem is, it feedbacks whenever there is a radio or some electronics nearby, and it also picks up radio waves (I was playing smooth jazz out of my chest for a while).

I don't mean to derail, but I felt like I had to comment: your costume was probably my favorite out of all the ones I saw. Really excellent work.

I was one of a number of Dr. Ventures wandering around on Saturday. It was an interesting experience. First, there are relatively few places from which one can purchase a speed suit, and most of them are not sized for people that are relatively tall and slim (I'm about 6'1" and 165 lbs), so rather than get one with an enormous amount of extra fabric about the waist, I opted to get one that was a little too short but fit my body type. Being a little too short may not be huge problem for most articles of clothing (apart from looking a bit silly), but when it's a one-piece ensemble, it can really limit your movement and posture. So as a result, I was walking around all day with a super-uncomfortable-yet-totally-accurate hunch. I did get some favorable comments and a few people asked me for pictures, so I was very flattered by that. On a couple of occasions, passers-by said nothing to me but muttered, "Speed suit," under their breath.

I also had to use a bald cap and a fake beard. My girlfriend was opposed to me shaving my head, and I have difficulty growing facial hair evenly in a reasonable time frame (though it would have been the right color). Thus I found myself in Spirit Gum Hell and have henceforth foresworn all prosthetics involving it. My fingers ended up a nasty, sticky mess, things did not attach well, it got in my hair, etc. All in all, I'd say the bald cap was the weakest part of the costume, in spite of some last-minute help from my girlfriend with some liquid foundation.

I'm looking for a new costume idea for this year, but I have no idea what to do. Like I said, I'm about 6' tall, slim and have short red hair. I can't really think of a lot characters that would fit that description.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

four lean hounds posted:

This is my favorite Dexter's Lab cosplay (so sorry, source is unknown)and I thought it might help you plan your costume:

Can you stand en pointe? Please don't hurt yourself attempting it! Looking forward to seeing you two at DragonCon.

Oh god, I don't think we're going to beat that... Maybe I should fall back on trying to get her to be Scott Pilgrim to my Ramona.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Warheart525 posted:

I'm looking for a new costume idea for this year, but I have no idea what to do. Like I said, I'm about 6' tall, slim and have short red hair. I can't really think of a lot characters that would fit that description.

There's always any Simon Pegg character. You're taller than him but...

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Warheart525 posted:

Go as Adam Savage dressed as Hellboy.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Warheart525 posted:

Bulk up and go as Sgt. Hatred.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Tragedy today - The fibreglassing seems to have collapsed on itself, and I am not sure I really have enough time to attempt again. :negative:

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
Do you have a photo of the damage? Polyester resin will have some shrinkage and needs reinforcing to prevent bowing if you have a lot of loose angles, but I guess you know that now.

You might still be able to recover it depending on the damage inflicted, either by constructing a small replacement part, stretching and reinforcing with plastic (acrylic, pvc) or cutting in a seam to relive the tension and bridging the gap with some more fiberglass cloth.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

v1nce posted:

Do you have a photo of the damage? Polyester resin will have some shrinkage and needs reinforcing to prevent bowing if you have a lot of loose angles, but I guess you know that now.

You might still be able to recover it depending on the damage inflicted, either by constructing a small replacement part, stretching and reinforcing with plastic (acrylic, pvc) or cutting in a seam to relive the tension and bridging the gap with some more fiberglass cloth.

I'll be honest, I typed a reasonably large reply explaining the damage, but it depressed me to put it into words, so I'll just paraphrase myself.

Despite our best efforts, it's now basically a puddle.

I am hoping to instead take a step back and possible try something a little less involved, which is Gordon Freeman, and the only part I am looking at that I am worried about is this:

I am confident that I can construct something like that, I am just trying to figure out how I would best extrapolate the templates for the foam pieces.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

/\/\ I'm sorry about your puddle :( It sucks that you're scrapping the whole thing, but if you're looking to do a Freeman chest plate like that, there are a lot of paper craft models out there. Let me tell you, for quickness, that stuff with fiberglass, resin, and bondo really does the trick.

The helmet's glass pieces have been covered in bondo and dremeled off to be sent off for molding. I actually visited a plastics/acrylic place for an estimate - ~$40 for Thomas and ~$100 for Guy-Manuel. Those guys are going to do a better job than I ever will with a round piece of acrylic and a heat gun, so I just said gently caress it and went for it. They're tinting it, etc, as well, so I don't have to worry about that.

Also, that bondo is amazing stuff. Sands like a dream. I'm never ever using paper clay again if I can help it. I feel like I'm playing with the big boys now.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

PezMaster posted:

/\/\ I'm sorry about your puddle :( It sucks that you're scrapping the whole thing

Thanks - definitely not scrapping it though. Going to go the long haul on this one and take more time, and maybe have some parts cast in plastic. I will learn from this, and get better.

Just for the current timeline of when I need a costume, Gordon seems a great deal more feasible.

Edit: if anyone knows a place that I can buy a prop crowbar from (in australia, or from the US sending TO australia) I will be amazingly thankful.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 19, 2013

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
a cock shaped fruit, I am so bummed for you. :(

PezMaster posted:

/\/\ I'm sorry about your puddle :( It sucks that you're scrapping the whole thing, but if you're looking to do a Freeman chest plate like that, there are a lot of paper craft models out there. Let me tell you, for quickness, that stuff with fiberglass, resin, and bondo really does the trick.

The helmet's glass pieces have been covered in bondo and dremeled off to be sent off for molding. I actually visited a plastics/acrylic place for an estimate - ~$40 for Thomas and ~$100 for Guy-Manuel. Those guys are going to do a better job than I ever will with a round piece of acrylic and a heat gun, so I just said gently caress it and went for it. They're tinting it, etc, as well, so I don't have to worry about that.

Also, that bondo is amazing stuff. Sands like a dream. I'm never ever using paper clay again if I can help it. I feel like I'm playing with the big boys now.

Those are looking good! Just make sure to wear a respirator when you sand bondo! The particulate is ridiculously bad for your lungs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anyone got any cosplay suggestions for a group cosplay that involves four-six guys and one woman? Guys are of varying sizes, if that matters. The woman has requested that she be a) not too revealing and b) not a whimpering character. A few of my friends have thought about doing a group cosplay for next year's anime north, but can't decide what to do. Everything either doesn't really have it's own style, is too complex, or something like that. No idea.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Aww Fruit I am so sorry man. I know your feels but you will learn and get better. Chin up!

PezMaster posted:

This is awesome, and yea I am a huge fan of bondo and apoxie sculpt, paper clay who?! I am going to second the respirator though because it is important to have.

I should have started back on more costumes/costume repairs this week but my shoulder isn't getting better, it's actually getting worse going to the doctor today to see what he says. More than likely I have xrays and MRI's in my future. Bleck. Once I get the okay I'm hitting the gym again and going to up my weights so I can pile drive the next drunken fool who wants to throw me on the ground. :argh:

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Anyone got any cosplay suggestions for a group cosplay that involves four-six guys and one woman? Guys are of varying sizes, if that matters. The woman has requested that she be a) not too revealing and b) not a whimpering character. A few of my friends have thought about doing a group cosplay for next year's anime north, but can't decide what to do. Everything either doesn't really have it's own style, is too complex, or something like that. No idea.

Cobra Commander Baroness and a bunch of troops.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Morpheus posted:

Any combinational of X-Men/Brotherhood could work too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You could do either version of Star Wars (classic or prequels). Although if you want to avoid heavy lifting on the costuming front (ie, no Chewie, droids, or storm troopers) you might have to dip into fringe characters to get everyone in.

I suppose you could also do something like Firefly, which has five male characters and a good selection of female characters in the main cast - although I think that would rely on having some good matches with bodytypes/looks to make it click. Without some sort of underlying resemblance, it's pretty easy for a Firefly group to just look like a bunch of cowboys.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Attack on Titan is always an option. It's an awesome series and has a variety of characters none of which are revealing. Also the outfits can vary in difficulty you can make just the clothing at the harness or do the full battle gear.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

PezMaster posted:

Why didn't I think of this! I have been dreading the visor... Did you just go to a local "plastics" shop? What did you ask them? I need to just do this.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Thanks guys - as for the bondo, I'm doing all the sanding outside on my balcony with this sort of mask:

Are they good enough, or am I going to need a full on resperator outside?

duros posted:

Why didn't I think of this! I have been dreading the visor... Did you just go to a local "plastics" shop? What did you ask them? I need to just do this.

I brought in both the masks and the front visor (which I had cut off and covered in bondo). They said that vacuum forming might be a little difficult for them for the Guy-Manuel helmet, so they'll be "draping" it with 1/8 inch plexiglass. It's a cheaper option, and they'll be covering it in felt first so it won't pick up all the little imperfections from the bondo (I didn't sand it too much this time around). They'll tint it as well, which is a bonus.

Bring yours into your plastics/acrylics place and see what they can do for you. Be prepared for some weird looks, though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PezMaster posted:

Thanks guys - as for the bondo, I'm doing all the sanding outside on my balcony with this sort of mask:

Are they good enough, or am I going to need a full on resperator outside?

Honestly, you should kick it up a notch from that. That is the sort of mask I would wear if I was working wood because I hate the taste of sawdust, not to avoid something that is probably actually toxic.

Over in the miniature thread, most people use something like this even if they are just airbrushing with non-toxic paints. I am pretty sure bondo dust is as bad or worse than acrylic paint.

That mask I linked is only $25, with replaceable filters. There is really no reason not to be careful.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Yeah, the mask you linked is pretty much exactly what we use for pink foam carving, bondo sanding, etc. I'd definitely upgrade, you can get those for about $25-30 at Home Depot and whatnot and they're just way better than those paper masks.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Yea it's one of those it's better than nothing but the gaping on that mask is what is making it not even close to as safe as a proper respirator. Investing in one is honestly cheaper in the long run than buying a bunch of those really padded paper masks.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

I'll be honest, I typed a reasonably large reply explaining the damage, but it depressed me to put it into words, so I'll just paraphrase myself.

Despite our best efforts, it's now basically a puddle.

I am hoping to instead take a step back and possible try something a little less involved, which is Gordon Freeman, and the only part I am looking at that I am worried about is this:

I am confident that I can construct something like that, I am just trying to figure out how I would best extrapolate the templates for the foam pieces.

Um, hell yes. Can we hang out?

Also, why stop at a prop crowbar? Go all-out with the real thing :black101:

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 21, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Many cons don't allow metal props/weapons for safety reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How much do these costumes cost? I'm going to attend a lot of Halloween parties, shows and raves this year so I want to start making a cool costume. However I've never done anything even close to this thread before. Some things I've done in the past:

Doctor Venture
Calvin
Pirate
PBR Box Robot

So I've never done anything that's even close to...

PezMaster posted:

A tron suit would be pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkbbSfdzHjM
This doesn't seem like the hardest thing in the world.

A Clu/Sam/Rinzler/Generic Tron Dude would be pretty neat.

Thoughts?

edit;
So cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FkNYETv6Rc

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 22, 2013