Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

swarthmeister posted:

There have only been two released with OLED around that size, both discontinued far as I know. Toshiba Excite 7.7 is the other option. They actually dumped their remaining stock on eBay just a couple of weeks ago at Nexus 7 prices, sorry you missed it.

Not the end of the world, no one's cracked the bootloader on the excite so it's restricted to the factory rom anyway. The upcoming galaxy tab refresh looks promising, 7.7 or 8" amoled with a tegra 3 driving it. Basically an n7 with a nicer screen, which is what I'm looking for anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Things just got a bit interesting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/10095455/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-3-Intel-tablet-unveiled.html

Galaxy Tab 3 is going to be using an Intel processor.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Ixian posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic too, except that we've been playing "the NEXT one is gonna be the one to get!" game with the Transformer series for so long now that I fear they will still find a way to screw it up.

Yeah, I know what you mean :( I just hate this waiting and anticipation for something that might be half rear end broken.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Asus has announed a new tablet/notebook hybrid, the Asus Transformer Book Trio:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/3/4390708/asus-transformer-book-trio-windows-android

It runs Windows 8 and Android at the same time.

:psyduck:

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

bigmandan posted:

Asus has announed a new tablet/notebook hybrid, the Asus Transformer Book Trio:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/3/4390708/asus-transformer-book-trio-windows-android

It runs Windows 8 and Android at the same time.

:psyduck:
I think there are potential benefits to this sort of machine but this particular machine doesn't seem to have them. Specifically, it'd be nice to access files you work on in Windows 8 in the Android tablet format, while enjoying much better battery life and the app selection in Android. But, the keyboard dock has the Haswell CPU and its own independent hard drive, which seems to suggest that the two ecosystems will be more independent than would be convenient.

waffle fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 3, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

waffle posted:

I think there are potential benefits to this sort of machine but this particular machine doesn't seem to have them. Specifically, it'd be nice to access files you work on in Windows 8 in the Android tablet format, while enjoying much better battery life and the app selection in Android. But, the keyboard dock has the Haswell CPU and its own independent hard drive, which seems to suggest that the two ecosystems will be more independent than would be convenient.

Yup. It's basically an Android tablet that's also the monitor for a headless Windows machine.

It's pretty cool though, but I bet the price will be astronomical. Betting $600 for the tablet and some $300 for the dock.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Yup. It's basically an Android tablet that's also the monitor for a headless Windows machine.

It's pretty cool though, but I bet the price will be astronomical. Betting $600 for the tablet and some $300 for the dock.

All 10" tablets need to be designed with hdmi input so we can use them as extra displays for our desktop machines :colbert:

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

o muerte posted:

All 10" tablets need to be designed with hdmi input so we can use them as extra displays for our desktop machines :colbert:
I am down with this. That would be awesome, I'm constantly working on my laptop at work wishing I could use my tablet as a second screen.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

waffle posted:

I am down with this. That would be awesome, I'm constantly working on my laptop at work wishing I could use my tablet as a second screen.
If you're allowed to install your own software on your laptop then the future is here! And it even works halfway decently!

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

Protocol7 posted:

Maybe if you add a 0 to both of those numbers...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The tablet itself can't be too expensive, but the dock is now a different story...

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What is the latest on Tegra 4 devices? I have a 700TF with a keyboard and would eventually like to get a Tegra 4 tablet just for the speed increase. Is Tegra 4 going to push devices into the $400+ range?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nook HD is on sale for $129 at Barnes and Noble's website or eBay:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6050206-Barnes-Noble-Nook-HD-9-1080p-WiFi-Tablet-32GB-179-or-16GB-149-Free-Shipping

Nook HD+ is on sale at the same sites for $149 (16gb) or $179 (32gb):

http://slickdeals.net/f/6050206-Barnes-Noble-Nook-HD-9-1080p-WiFi-Tablet-32GB-179-or-16GB-149-Free-Shipping

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Walmart and Best Buy also have those prices in-store. The HD+ for $149 is very, very tempting.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hughmoris posted:

Walmart and Best Buy also have those prices in-store. The HD+ for $149 is very, very tempting.

Target too - and you get 5% off if you use their Red Card.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I've been extremely happy with my HD+; the microsd slot makes it so great as a portable media player

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
The price on this thing keeps dropping. Will it be possible to get a 9" 1080p IPS tablet for $125 in a few months? Looks pretty likely.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
My Xoom has been well loved over the years, and is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm looking to upgrade (and perhaps get something a bit smaller). Is it worthwhile getting the nexus 7, or is there a new model right around the corner I should wait for?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JesusDoesVegas posted:

My Xoom has been well loved over the years, and is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm looking to upgrade (and perhaps get something a bit smaller). Is it worthwhile getting the nexus 7, or is there a new model right around the corner I should wait for?

There's always something new right around the corner, so buy what you're happy with now. But that said the N7 has been out for a few weeks shy of a year so it seems logical that there's a replacement on its way relatively soon.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Totally wait. The Nexus 7 was announced last June/released in July. Hopefully a new one will be announced soon.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

anakha posted:

The 3G Nexus 7, as well as several Tegra 3 phones, seems to have an issue with cell antenna-related wakelocks.

On the n7 at least that's easy to fix, just setup llama or tasker to shut off the cell radio when the screen's off.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I went and got a Hisense Sero 7 Pro. Stuck an old 8 gig micro sd in it and have been playing around with some SNES emulators without any issues. I mostly just want to read books/play games on overseas plane rides and watch the occasional movie. Plugged in my 360 controller with an OTG adapter without any issues.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I was just given a galaxy tab 2 10.1. I'll admit I never requested such thing nor do I have a smartphone. What truly intrigues me is the possibility of using it in class as a learning tool; I teach languages at different institutes. Most of my class materials and props take up plenty of space in my office and in my flat. This thing is quite compact; it's about half the size and weight of my laptop.

Is it a good tablet? I don't care much about playing games or surfing the web while snowboarding, I just need something portable to hold pdfs, images, have word processing applications. Of course it's nice that it has a camera and speakers. It just seems odd that everyone worships the nexus, I feel as if I got a bad gift.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I was just given a galaxy tab 2 10.1. I'll admit I never requested such thing nor do I have a smartphone. What truly intrigues me is the possibility of using it in class as a learning tool; I teach languages at different institutes. Most of my class materials and props take up plenty of space in my office and in my flat. This thing is quite compact; it's about half the size and weight of my laptop.

Is it a good tablet? I don't care much about playing games or surfing the web while snowboarding, I just need something portable to hold pdfs, images, have word processing applications. Of course it's nice that it has a camera and speakers. It just seems odd that everyone worships the nexus, I feel as if I got a bad gift.

People recommend the Nexus because it's great value for the money. Your Tab, for 0 dollars, is an even better value.

It'll be more than fine.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

o muerte posted:

On the n7 at least that's easy to fix, just setup llama or tasker to shut off the cell radio when the screen's off.

Is this a guaranteed solution? I have my N7 on airplane mode frequently and the wakelocks still persist even when in airplane mode.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

So my Nexus 7 appears to be useless. I let the battery run down all the way, apparently this is horrible. I can plug it into USB on a computer or the ASUS charger and it will show the charging symbol. I can even start it up and it will boot up all the way to the lock screen, where it promptly starts the shutting-down process because it has no battery. Do these devices really not charge the battery while off? How can I get this thing to actually turn on and charge?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

So my Nexus 7 appears to be useless. I let the battery run down all the way, apparently this is horrible. I can plug it into USB on a computer or the ASUS charger and it will show the charging symbol. I can even start it up and it will boot up all the way to the lock screen, where it promptly starts the shutting-down process because it has no battery. Do these devices really not charge the battery while off? How can I get this thing to actually turn on and charge?
This problem pops up every few pages. Just let it charge overnight on the charger it came with.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

anakha posted:

Is this a guaranteed solution? I have my N7 on airplane mode frequently and the wakelocks still persist even when in airplane mode.

No, it's not guaranteed - that's the fix I've used on other devices with cell wakelock issues though. Is this occurring with the stock rom or aftermarket roms, or both?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

o muerte posted:

No, it's not guaranteed - that's the fix I've used on other devices with cell wakelock issues though. Is this occurring with the stock rom or aftermarket roms, or both?

Stock 4.2.2.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hum, my Nexus7 has begun turning it's screen off.
Usually when using Diceplayer, whenever it's done with a video, or I close it, the screen'll go black, and it'll use a few seconds to respond to the power button, and turn back on.
It's also happened with a few other apps I use, it's always for just a few seconds, but it's annoying as all hell.

It never does it while I'm actually doing anything, just when there's a large change in the display.
Aaand sometimes when I'm browsing the forums a small black stripe might flash across the lower part of the screen.

So, is the GPU fritzing, or should I just flash another rom? Using Cyanogenmod 10.1 I think.
And the problem's just suddenly started popping up recently.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Anyobody know how to turn off that halo feature. It just sits there adding nothing and ruining my desktop :argh:

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Daimo posted:

Anyobody know how to turn off that halo feature. It just sits there adding nothing and ruining my desktop :argh:

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I installed PA on my nexus 7 and after about 45 minutes it got irritated that I couldn't get rid of it, not to mention the esoteric settings menu that didn't have any reset to default behavior buttons.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AppleCobbler posted:

[...] not to mention the esoteric settings menu that didn't have any reset to default behavior buttons.
I'm glad to hear that they still haven't added this. I was close to trying to out again but I guess I won't bother.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Apparently you have to double click on it then drag it to the top center. Obviously.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
Does anyone know if there's an accessory for the Nexus 10 that duplicates what this does? I have a 64GB microSD card just sitting here that I'd love to use with this tablet but Google in its infinite wisdom doesn't believe in expandable storage slots.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/T-Flash-Adapt...sb+otg+nexus+10

Expandable storage is a nightmare to support.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks for this. I just ordered a similar cable and found a nice, really tiny microSD USB reader from a Verizon store for 12 bucks so I guess it's an acceptable solution.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
For a non tech-savvy person who wants a tablet with a 9+ inch display for some basic internet surfing and ebooks, I should just tell them to get an ipad, right? Are there any android tablets worth considering for someone like that? A Nexus 10 maybe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Biggest human being Ever posted:

For a non tech-savvy person who wants a tablet with a 9+ inch display for some basic internet surfing and ebooks, I should just tell them to get an ipad, right? Are there any android tablets worth considering for someone like that? A Nexus 10 maybe?

iPad is probably the best choice, though a Nexus 10 or potentially a Nook HD+ or Kindle HD 8.9, though those are a hair smaller than 9".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I usually try to get non-techy people to take a look at the Kindle HD 8.9 since it's a great deal, particularly for Prime users.