Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sockser posted:

The frosted glass look is mostly cool, but it took my sweet old wallpaper:

And turned it into this:

Womp womp.

Really, any cool wallpapers you have that are based around where icons lie are just no good now.

Sorry about your wallpaper but those icons look gorgeous! My wallpaper is just a solid black one, so it's not gonna screw mine up. In fact, I'm interested to see how it'll look on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Sorry about your wallpaper but those icons look gorgeous! My wallpaper is just a solid black one, so it's not gonna screw mine up. In fact, I'm interested to see how it'll look on mine.

It is imperative that you get a cool wallpaper so you can see parallax in action.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So besides Airdrop and Camera filters, iOS 7 for 5 and 4S/4 are otherwise the same? And the only way to get early access is to pay up for a dev account?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
There are 2 types of wallpaper.

Stills: a little parallax perspective.

Dynamic: moves a LOT when you wiggle your phone...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Feenix posted:

There are 2 types of wallpaper.

Stills: a little parallax perspective.

Dynamic: moves a LOT when you wiggle your phone...

What a waste of cpu cycles. Cook! :argh:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Is AirDrop the same technology/protocol as WiFi Direct? Will it work with Windows PCs and Android phones with WiFi Direct?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So in 7 the old workaround of deleting the podcast ap to get podcasts to re-appear in music doesn't work anymore. Well except it sort of does. If you have podcast playlists, they will show up on these playlists again. However, the podcast app was improved a few weeks ago and it looks like Apple finally figured out how to fix it. So I'm gonna roll with it for a few days and see if I like it this time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Is AirDrop the same technology/protocol as WiFi Direct? Will it work with Windows PCs and Android phones with WiFi Direct?
No and no.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Control Center is all I really wanted so I'm happy overall but man, I just hate the new icons. I mean, on their own I think they look okay but it just doesn't seem to match up with the aesthetic of the iPhone's hardware itself.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Macintosh posted:

Control Center is all I really wanted so I'm happy overall but man, I just hate the new icons. I mean, on their own I think they look okay but it just doesn't seem to match up with the aesthetic of the iPhone's hardware itself.

The next iPhone is going to have more colors than black and white, if color is any sort of intent here.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Is someone able to share that starry-like wallpaper that was featured in the keynote today? Unless that's against the rules or something as it comes from a beta, then nevermind.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I'm wondering if that wallpaper tilt thing will work on the iPhone 4.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/design/

Am I seeing this right? Notes will finally support folders, so I can ditch the half-dozen not-very-good note-taking apps (hyphenation heaven!) that I've downloaded in the past year?

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Am I seeing this right? Notes will finally support folders, so I can ditch the half-dozen not-very-good note-taking apps (hyphenation heaven!) that I've downloaded in the past year?

E: Never mind. Link opened. Confused notes with pages.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I just got an iphone, any recommendations on managing music/whatever on this thing while keeping my system clean from itunes, or am I gonna have to suck it up?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

As a UI designer I'm conflicted. On one hand, simplicity is great, but making poo poo plain without having any tiny detail in there is wrong. Apple has the power of the retina display, yet they wish to ignore its ability to show fine detail. What's the point of having a high ppi if every graphic is going to have a plain pastel background?

Like the screenshot above, the app on the left looks great because it has minor skeuomorphism without overdoing it, it utilizes the retina display to show some nice detail while still staying simple. Notice the texture, slight drop shadows and minor embossing? It looks great. Game center on the other hand looks like something Nokia designed in 2006.

EDIT: The signal strength meter looks stupid

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 11, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Where are you seeing that? Do you mean the screenshot in the bottom scroller-thing where it shows "Accounts" in the upper left?

If so, Notes already does that, but as far as I know (not far) you can only create a folder with the Notes app on a Mac.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Another nitpicky unnecessary designer comment: I'd like some separation between navigation bars and the phone status bar when your in an app with that traditional layout.

I can't argue it looks gorgeous on say the lock screen, where there's no elements on top. However say something like messages, it just all starts to feel like a bunch of text bunched up in one spot:

I don't think a lot of the visual weirdness people are making comments on will be changed by release. This was a massive job to do in such short time, and they also know a lot of the feedback is just people who don't like change. I'm sure visual tweaks will be happening more frequently then it did before though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

junan_paalla posted:

I just got an iphone, any recommendations on managing music/whatever on this thing while keeping my system clean from itunes, or am I gonna have to suck it up?

iTunes is pretty sweet IMO.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

File bug reports.

Yes do this. You'd be surprised what pops up in the next beta release.

I'm convinced that my report fixed the maps issue in iOS 6 where it would say "continue straight on Hall Road" every 50 feet when you drove down a divided avenue with u turns.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Where are you seeing that? Do you mean the screenshot in the bottom scroller-thing where it shows "Accounts" in the upper left?

If so, Notes already does that, but as far as I know (not far) you can only create a folder with the Notes app on a Mac.
Does it? I don't have a Mac (although that Mavericks presentation is swaying me) so I've never been able to use that.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
drat it. I don't know why I always do this to myself and install the beta. iTunes Match is broken again. It's a pretty easy to spot bug so I'm not exactly worried it won't be fixed. Just can't skip ads on iRadio.

Loved the shots in keynote, hate the UI in real world use. Moves all over the drat place and the colors are waaay too pastel/neon.

I did a fresh install and was really put off by the default wallpaper with the icons. That was hideous!

Edit: actually like the banners

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 11, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I feel like they really did start from scratch with this overhaul. I'm expecting lots of little tweaks to come before the GM and in the years ahead. They had 6 years to perfect the old style, and going back to look at screenshots of 1.0 is kind of jarring at times.

In general I like the direction they're going. The idea of having functional layers and everything being part of a system with rules makes sense to me -- the linen on top (in Notification Center) and underneath (in Folders) always bugged me. Feels a little rough around the edges but it's a monumental effort to get this far in just 7 months. I'm excited to see how it evolves towards GM release.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yes do this. You'd be surprised what pops up in the next beta release.

I'm convinced that my report fixed the maps issue in iOS 6 where it would say "continue straight on Hall Road" every 50 feet when you drove down a divided avenue with u turns.

OTOH, isn't the developer beta more about filing bug reports where your own app doesn't work right in iOS 7? It's not really meant as just having the developers be beta testers of the OS in general.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DarkJC posted:

I feel like they really did start from scratch with this overhaul. I'm expecting lots of little tweaks to come before the GM and in the years ahead. They had 6 years to perfect the old style, and going back to look at screenshots of 1.0 is kind of jarring at times.

In general I like the direction they're going. The idea of having functional layers and everything being part of a system with rules makes sense to me -- the linen on top (in Notification Center) and underneath (in Folders) always bugged me. Feels a little rough around the edges but it's a monumental effort to get this far in just 7 months. I'm excited to see how it evolves towards GM release.

This. Not to sound apologist but this is a TOTAL reboot. The aesthetics of ios6 are a culmination of many years of polishing and shaving away...

I expect it to get better before launch, even better than that by 7.1, and even better than THAT by 8.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Does the parallax wallpaper require some kind of beefier phone than the 4?

Also, I would say that 4 performance is bearable but you have to be really aggressive with killing running apps and not having too much junk running at once.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I wish the new Siri voices were here.

Also how do you kill an app in this new Auxo-like taskbar?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Feenix posted:

I wish the new Siri voices were here.

Also how do you kill an app in this new Auxo-like taskbar?

Swipe it towards the top of the screen, WebOS style (I think?)

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes, 4S and above only.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What's the battery life like on the beta so far? I can't imagine that constantly reanimating the home screen based on the gyroscope is gonna be too kind to the battery.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, I would say that 4 performance is bearable but you have to be really aggressive with killing running apps and not having too much junk running at once.

Hopefully they're still optimizing and they'll toss in some code so older devices auto-kill apps more aggressively.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

What's the battery life like on the beta so far? I can't imagine that constantly reanimating the home screen based on the gyroscope is gonna be too kind to the battery.

It's garbage, but it always is with at least the first few betas.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I were to buy a contract-free iPhone from Apple's website today and choose the T-Mobile SIM option, does that let me use LTE on that provider? Or is there still some weird antenna thing going on such that you can still only use 2G or whatever with T-Mobile?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Any new model A1428 will support ALL T-Mobile frequencies, including their AWS 3G frequency. Doesn't matter what SIM you pick up with it, but obviously picking a T-Mobile SIM is convenient if you're planning to use them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

empty baggie posted:

It's garbage, but it always is with at least the first few betas.

Mine's been perfectly fine?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Another UI design nerd weighing in. I applaud the death of skeuomorphism, and moreover, a transition to flat over beveled, shiny, and stupid. But the default icons are pretty bad, and I'm surprised Apple would put out something like that. It honestly looks like they tossed five designers in separate rooms and said "take this old icon, and make it flat," with no regard for consistency. Passbook, weather, and stores are good, though the gradients are a little lame. Phone, messages, mail, are boring but effective. Calendar, clock, videos, notes, reminders, stocks, are quite bad... and then GameCenter, compass, and newsstand are utterly unsalvageable. The control center icons are great — what the gently caress happened?

That said, the UI on the whole looks much improved. It definitely needs a few tweaks (the nav bar across the top of apps is really, really going to bother me whenever the option is bigger than "Inbox"), but the menus and overall aesthetic are excellent.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

disheveled posted:

It honestly looks like they tossed five designers in separate rooms and said "take this old icon, and make it flat," with no regard for consistency.

I read somewhere (Daring Fireball, maybe?) that each team was charged with making its own icon, and that the icons would be streamlined later in the development process.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I was disappointed at the performance on my 4S so I rolled back to 6.1.3 following these instructions:

http://www.iclarified.com/31004/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-7-beta-to-ios-6

Despite Apple's warning to the contrary, it was pretty easy to go from iOS 7 back to 6.

Hopefully they'll improve the performance in future betas but I've decided that to stay away from iOS 7 until I get an iPhone 5S this fall/winter.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Kolta posted:

I'm wondering if that wallpaper tilt thing will work on the iPhone 4.

Nope.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yup.

The parallax, the blurring, and anything else in the "dynamics" library require iPhone 4 or higher. From experience, blurring is pretty hard to do quickly if you don't have the right hardware, so it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, but how often are you looking at your homescreen? Same deal really as live-animating the clock.

• Locked thread