Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Shoren posted:

In other words, asauchis are similar to hollows, but are not made from hollows. Assuming there was some natural way for shinigami souls to collect and form an asauchi before Nimaiya began forging them, that would also explain why shinigami had zanpakuto before. This also begs the question "How truly different are the souls of shinigami and hollows?" Apparently forging enough shinigami souls will give you something hollow-like in nature.
They didn't have zanpakuto before, he was supposed to have invented them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Disharmony posted:

A summation of this latest debacle by looking through some old information from a new perspective:

http://i.imgur.com/Rze5Xqe.jpg

Holy shiiit, that's awesome.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Going back and watching the episodes where Ichigo gets his shinigami powers back the first time (episode 19 and 20) made me all nostalgic. It's weird how much more menacing everything Zangetsu Bach says seems now.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Algid posted:

They didn't have zanpakuto before, he was supposed to have invented them.

Fair enough I couldn't remember. So there you have it, Aizen accidentally used Nimaiya's asauchi forging method to create White.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Shoren posted:

In other words, asauchis are similar to hollows, but are not made from hollows. Assuming there was some natural way for shinigami souls to collect and form an asauchi before Nimaiya began forging them, that would also explain why shinigami had zanpakuto before. This also begs the question "How truly different are the souls of shinigami and hollows?" Apparently forging enough shinigami souls will give you something hollow-like in nature.

Hollows are dead humans turned bad. Shinigami are dead humans turned ghost cop. So, ultimately, they're the same thing expressed in two different ways. We've known that since more or less the start of the series (I can't remember exactly when it was made clear that Shinigami are "promoted" ghosts, but it can't have been any later than Soul Society), and the... interchangeability of the two has been stressed with things like the Vizards and the Arrancar. I don't know that this latest revelation actually adds to that any.

It might actually stress the differences between the two. Hollows level up by gobbling up other souls; Shinigami level up by reaching a deeper level of communion with one specific soul (okay, group of souls).

Or... something. gently caress it, I'm less certain about any of this now than before I started writing this post.

I think I need to go and reread the entire manga. :smithicide:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shoren posted:

Fair enough I couldn't remember. So there you have it, Aizen accidentally used Nimaiya's asauchi forging method to create White.

As much as Aizen is fond of everything actually being part of his master plan, it seems pretty reasonable that he purposefully used a variation of the forging method to create White.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

As much as Aizen is fond of everything actually being part of his master plan, it seems pretty reasonable that he purposefully used a variation of the forging method to create White.

I'm kind of wondering how Aizen and Urahara are even supposed to know about things like that given that no-one seems to ever really come down from or go up to the Soul King's palace normally. Didn't they mention how rare it was upon first descending? I can kind of buy it in Urahara's case since he was a science guy, so maybe they shared some info with him specifically to help the division, but I'm imagining Aizen would have had to use his shikai to find out any of it if that's the case.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Disharmony posted:

A summation of this latest debacle by looking through some old information from a new perspective:

http://i.imgur.com/Rze5Xqe.jpg

Yeah that's pretty cool. It doesn't deal with the part of the King/Horse analogy where White flat out says that they're all different sides of the same coin though. (took me a little to find it)

Otherwise seems spot on about how Ichigo is all mixed up inside with different power sources.

edit: though he seems to be suggesting an "absorption" going on, when I think "blending" might be a better description.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 7, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

treeboy posted:

Yeah that's pretty cool. It doesn't deal with the part of the King/Horse analogy where White flat out says that they're all different sides of the same coin though. (took me a little to find it)

Otherwise seems spot on about how Ichigo is all mixed up inside with different power sources.

edit: though he seems to be suggesting an "absorption" going on, when I think "blending" might be a better description.

He says they're both Ichigo's Spirit power -> Quincy = Zangetsu/Ywach, Hollow/Shinigami = Whitey

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Kild posted:

He says they're both Ichigo's Spirit power -> Quincy = Zangetsu/Ywach, Hollow/Shinigami = Whitey

ah i must've misunderstood the original image, i thought he was taking the stance that whitey = zangetsu, ywach = some other thing.

edit: has anyone considered the fact that Ichigo's younger sisters are also hybrids? I suppose there's the potential that they don't have hollow aspects if White 'transferred' into Ichigo during pregnancy, but if it's more of an infection or copy then all three of Masaki/Isshin's kids could be potentially crazy powerful.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 7, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ichigo didn't manifest much of anything without a lot of outside interference. Unless someone (probably Urahara) got involved, neither of them would likely ever amount to much until they died and became ghosts.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Perhaps Bach fusing with Ichigo to fight Aizen justifies the "throwing away reiatsu" thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ichigo didn't manifest much of anything without a lot of outside interference. Unless someone (probably Urahara) got involved, neither of them would likely ever amount to much until they died and became ghosts.

Urahara has been directly involved. Karin asked him to train her, which he accepted. We haven't really had a chance to see the full results of this training, yet.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I figured it all out. This was all just a thousand year plan to steal the old man's bankai. Now it will never rain again for old man zangetsu. Can't have rain when the air is all dry.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't really care what Ichigo or Zangetsu are as long as it means Ichigo gets to shoot his sword out of a bow. That's what all this has been leading up to for me, and frankly I will be disappointed if Bleach doesn't end in the silliest goddamn way possible.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I think that when it comes to Bleach, we can all agree:

It was always Wankershim.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So, I was thinking about this earlier, but what exactly happened to Chad, Orihime, Grimmjaw, and Urahara if Ishida is now working for the big baddie? Maybe they were captured and Ishida is being forced to fight for Ywach for the safety or he did some Orihime-esque voluntarily walking away to spare them the trouble?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Probably.

1st arc -> Rukia is apart of the Shinigami Organization and Ichigo fights them
2nd arc -> Orihime joins Aizen/Arrancars and Ichigo fights them
3rd arc -> Chad is part of Xcution and Ichigo fights them
4th arc -> Ishida is part of Vandereich and Ichigo fights them

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

tsob posted:

I'm kind of wondering how Aizen and Urahara are even supposed to know about things like that given that no-one seems to ever really come down from or go up to the Soul King's palace normally. Didn't they mention how rare it was upon first descending? I can kind of buy it in Urahara's case since he was a science guy, so maybe they shared some info with him specifically to help the division, but I'm imagining Aizen would have had to use his shikai to find out any of it if that's the case.
Urahara and Aizen have both seen the Spirit King, so it seems they've both visited the Royal Dimension. This seemingly implies both of them had to reinforce their bones with souls or whatever to gain entrance to the Royal Dimension.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

So, I was thinking about this earlier, but what exactly happened to Chad, Orihime, Grimmjaw, and Urahara if Ishida is now working for the big baddie? Maybe they were captured and Ishida is being forced to fight for Ywach for the safety or he did some Orihime-esque voluntarily walking away to spare them the trouble?

Nothing happened to them, necessarily, since Ishida made a point to not go with them when they went to Heuco Mundo to do whatever the hell they did.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Robviously posted:

Nothing happened to them, necessarily, since Ishida made a point to not go with them when they went to Heuco Mundo to do whatever the hell they did.

Oh yeah, good point. I thought he was with them for some reason. That reminds me, though, I want to know what this was all about : http://www.mangapanda.com/bleach/490/8.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It implies that at that point, Ishida had already met with the Vandenreich (and YWACH had already given him the title Prinz von Licht), or, they already knew about his powers.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Well, we definitely know they knew about him and his powers, Kirge Opie spoke of him like he was a Quincy celebrity, even going as far as to suggest he should be much more powerful than Ichigo knows him as.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Advice posted:

Well, we definitely know they knew about him and his powers, Kirge Opie spoke of him like he was a Quincy celebrity, even going as far as to suggest he should be much more powerful than Ichigo knows him as.
One wonders why he was B (C?) tier until this arc. As recently as one arc ago he was taken out like a chump by someone who Ichigo in turn ended up pulverizing at his current-ish level of strength. drat you Kubo, too lazy to even give Ginjo's Shikai or Bankai name.. (Unless his Fullbring was supposed to be a Shikai? Or was it maybe a "Buy the Databook suckers" thing?)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Zogundar posted:

One wonders why he was B (C?) tier until this arc. As recently as one arc ago he was taken out like a chump by someone who Ichigo in turn ended up pulverizing at his current-ish level of strength. drat you Kubo, too lazy to even give Ginjo's Shikai or Bankai name.. (Unless his Fullbring was supposed to be a Shikai? Or was it maybe a "Buy the Databook suckers" thing?)

I feel like from those pages in that chapter that was just linked it implied that Ryuuken was training Uryuu in a way that was gimping his full potential from the vandenreich's point of view.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogundar posted:

The way Opie talked about it implied to me that Ishida was deliberately holding back during the conflict with the Fullbringers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Maybe he just wasn't comfortable attacking living humans.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silver2195 posted:

The way Opie talked about it implied to me that Ishida was deliberately holding back during the conflict with the Fullbringers.

Im thinking that Opie meant that he is more pure-blooded. Having a stronger connection to YWACH, therefore stronger.

That being said Im thinking that YWACH actively supplies all quincy powers, or at least provides the base ability to and can modify them as he pleases.

Opie's line about reminding YWACH to adjust their blut is kind of telling.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
For the first time in quite a while, I am actively searching for spoilers, and annoyed that I have been unable to find any. :( I too am trying to wrap my head around what exactly is going on here.

If anyone scares up some spoilers, I'm all eyes!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AlistairCookie posted:

For the first time in quite a while, I am actively searching for spoilers, and annoyed that I have been unable to find any. :( I too am trying to wrap my head around what exactly is going on here.

If anyone scares up some spoilers, I'm all eyes!

Only One Piece spoilers so far.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Hey Wanna read Bleach?

http://www.mangapanda.com/bleach/541/20

Hope you've got an extra minute and a half to read it all :smith:

Spoilers: It's a Kubo chapter in which it takes 14 pages in what should take one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Aw, that's kinda sad, actually. :smith:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
That was a bit touching. I liked it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I didn't want this. I didn't want this at all.:smith:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Admit it, Kubo, you just like playing dress-up with your characters. This is how many new costumes and powers for Ichigo in how many arcs? I've lost count.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

KittenofDoom posted:

Admit it, Kubo, you just like playing dress-up with your characters. This is how many new costumes and powers for Ichigo in how many arcs? I've lost count.

Dude did want to be a fashion designer I hear.

Anyway, I liked this chapter. Yeah, could have used more, but I think using up a bit too much page time for this particular instance is justified. Also, I liked the nice touches with Ichigo's inner world massively changing when his inner Quincy admitted he wasn't Zangetsu. First the buildings started to break apart, eventually the entire world flooded again.

It also makes Ichigo finding his shinigami powers in the Shattered Shaft a bit more interesting. He didn't find the Spirit Formerly Known as Zangetsu, he found a sword that he pulled out.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 12, 2013

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
:10bux: that this new Zangetsu has the same shape and the same techniques as the first one.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

loving Kubo you should've just shown the sword at the end :(

At least it explains why Ichigo's power was always loving random.

e: What chapter was 'The Blade and Me 1'?

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 12, 2013

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So... What exactly was the point of YWACH pretending to be Ichigo's Zanpakatu the whole time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mulderman posted:

So... What exactly was the point of YWACH pretending to be Ichigo's Zanpakatu the whole time?

So he wouldn't actually tap into his Shinigami powers because he hates them Page 13

e: It looks like another Fire sword like Engetsu
Also it looks like http://i.imgur.com/bTaRH9O.png

Could it be that 'Ywachgetsu' and Zangetsu/Hichigo swapped positions with Ywach becoming the 'asauchi' and Hichigo becoming his power source or someshit

Kild fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 12, 2013

• Locked thread