Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

Fairly certain the 'her' referred to is Bastilla, not Revan.

Yeah. At the time of the Taris bombardment, everyone thought Revan was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

If you really wanna complain, complain about Revan being a chump and the Exile being relegated to being useless.
I haven't gotten there yet, but if Bioware made their baby Revan a midlevel FP boss, I can only imagine what they did to the Exile. And yes, my biggest problem with the Foundry wasn't that they changed Revan's gender for me, but that they used a pretty nifty character (and HK47, depending on how you feel about him) as a lovely little sidequest boss. The Revanites weren't a bad little cult, but having Revan actually roaming around was stupid.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ravenfood posted:

I haven't gotten there yet, but if Bioware made their baby Revan a midlevel FP boss, I can only imagine what they did to the Exile. And yes, my biggest problem with the Foundry wasn't that they changed Revan's gender for me, but that they used a pretty nifty character (and HK47, depending on how you feel about him) as a lovely little sidequest boss. The Revanites weren't a bad little cult, but having Revan actually roaming around was stupid.

Well first of all, she's not even in game.

Book spoilers She's straight up killed during the fight with the Sith Emperor. They try to make her death seem 'cool' because she becomes a Force Ghost through ~sheer connection~ to the Force (not the technique that every other Jedi needs to do so), but she's still just chumped.

The Emperor is bad though, everything related to him just makes me sigh. I hate the idea of him.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Well first of all, she's not even in game.

Book spoilers She's straight up killed during the fight with the Sith Emperor. They try to make her death seem 'cool' because she becomes a Force Ghost through ~sheer connection~ to the Force (not the technique that every other Jedi needs to do so), but she's still just chumped.

The Emperor is bad though, everything related to him just makes me sigh. I hate the idea of him.

Yes, she is. You meet her on Republic side as the person who sends you to Revan, and again in the Jedi Knight storyline. She's the one who vouches for Scourges intentions, despite him being the one who killed her.

Oh, and it's also heavily hinted she had a romance with Revan prior to his fall to the Dark Side.

It's why the JK storyline is so abysmally bad.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Rascyc posted:

Lighten up man, you are advocating kicking people out of one of the first three instances of the game. This is tutorial level content here. There is one rough pull in all of normal Athiss and it is the second pull with two big droids and maybe even three cause I think there's a pat and there's a lot of ways to deal with those if even 1 person in your group has even the slightest bit of MMO instance experience. The rest of those entry level instances are so brain dead easy.

For the original poster: remember that mobs that don't have skulls or above next them generally don't need to be tanked. They'll either die to the healer or the DPS whenever it happens. If someone wigs out in your group, just kindly ask "dps kill non elites first" or something to that effect. If they don't behave, whatever dude just get through the instance and move on. Nobody queues up for FPs just for a bad time :V

The elevators and afk healers probably claim more lives than mobs.

I try to be considerate to obviously new people and very often, they just don't know better. What I will not loving tolerate is someone continuing to be an rear end on purpose or getting abusive when I ask them to please not attack the Champion I CC'ed for the fifth time. If a vote-kick doesn't work, /ignore and leave. Yes, it's an easy dungeon, but it's also not my job to put up with their poo poo and reward them for being assholes. It's also not so much that they're doing it in Hammer Station, but that they'll eventually do it in NMs and raids. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect consideration.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, I just get tired of having to explain it over and over again.

It's not necessary most pulls, but it seems like every FP has at least one nasty pull--the pull with two elite large robots in Hammer Station before the first boss, for example--that ends up in a wipe because people don't get it.

The last time I ran it all of the DPS and the healer made a beeline for the elite I'd CC'd and proceed to beat on it while I tried to gather up the rest. It was just a huge :psyduck: of stupidity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hell a lot of people have problems with that spawn in hard mode.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lately, what I'm seeing is DPSers que'ing as healers or tanks because the group finder pops more often that way :suicide:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't really care, I was just glad to see Revan brought back in any way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tide posted:

Lately, what I'm seeing is DPSers que'ing as healers or tanks because the group finder pops more often that way :suicide:

I don't understand what they think will happen when they don't respec.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I guess my view is probably biased in that I always heal for my 5-mans just to avoid those situations. I feel like I can account for almost any level of stupidity in a normal FP, short of a mob train.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tolan posted:

Yeah, I just get tired of having to explain it over and over again.

It's not necessary most pulls, but it seems like every FP has at least one nasty pull--the pull with two elite large robots in Hammer Station before the first boss, for example--that ends up in a wipe because people don't get it.

The last time I ran it all of the DPS and the healer made a beeline for the elite I'd CC'd and proceed to beat on it while I tried to gather up the rest. It was just a huge :psyduck: of stupidity.

I just ran that as a healer. Tank did not manage to get all the mobs on him so I was at half health at that point. I asked him to put guard on me while I was resting. Tank immediately jumps at the first robot before I was even close to full health, the second one is left completely unchecked, rips me to shreds, 2 of the other guys get destroyed, the 3rd runs away to the respawn and drags them all along so that the 2 first ones die once again.

And then he can't see that he may have done something wrong.

(Also why do so many pubbies not understand that expending all your ressources immediately and then spending the whole fight in slow-regeneration is an awful idea ?!)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The first thing I always say in a Flashpoint is "If you want something CC'd, mark it with Bolt." That's usually good enough for people to mark things.

My least favorite pull is the four dog pull in Mandalorian Raiders. Someone ALWAYS breaks the CC and we ALWAYS wipe on it, and then I get called out for being a bitch-rear end healer because I can't heal everyone at once.

(insert Force Shock emoticon here)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Just started playing as Shaggha on Jedi Covenant (Empire) if someone is doing the guild inviting thing. I'll be sure to pester you with cute newbie questions.

When do I get my space car :mad:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
After Dromund Kaas, aka in the 15-17 level range I think. It depends on how fast you advance the story.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Hell a lot of people have problems with that spawn in hard mode.

Saber Reflect is the best thing, trivializes so many otherwise annoying hard mode pulls. I only wish it had a decent animation.

As for slow-regeneration due to lacking resource, I imagine a lot of people simply don't know. It's explained in a codex entry in a somewhat vague way and you don't really need to know it while soloing, so you can easily level up for quite a while without understanding why your energy sometimes regenerates slowly. If you notice someone burning out consistently you might inform them how it works.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Promethium posted:

Saber Reflect is the best thing, trivializes so many otherwise annoying hard mode pulls. I only wish it had a decent animation.

As for slow-regeneration due to lacking resource, I imagine a lot of people simply don't know. It's explained in a codex entry in a somewhat vague way and you don't really need to know it while soloing, so you can easily level up for quite a while without understanding why your energy sometimes regenerates slowly. If you notice someone burning out consistently you might inform them how it works.

Well there are those three arrows, it's possible to figure it out. Isn't there a tool tip when you hover over these arrows ? The again I think I took a few levels too until I understood that using less actions to stay in high regen is actually always worth it.

(The actual worst part is that even when you explain it they still tend to do it and as far as I can see that cripples your DPS quite a bit)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

(Also why do so many pubbies not understand that expending all your ressources immediately and then spending the whole fight in slow-regeneration is an awful idea ?!)
Maybe their first class was a sniper? I don't think I've put any points into any energy-related things (maybe regen-while-cover?) and I pretty much have never had to even pull out that little energy probe thing to get back above 50%. Its a drat simple rotation that doesn't take too much energy, especially since Followthrough is so drat cheap to use. Also, I can't understand how DPS classes don't get "don't break CC". If they didn't figure out in singleplayer that shooting a droid you sliced (which is easily the best CC snipers have) isn't the best idea, I don't know what the hell.

Honestly, i'm wishing I hadn't rolled a sniper as my first character. I feel like there's a hell of a lot more to this game that I just don't have to deal with, between my cover-in-place, easy rotation, high burst damage, easy-to-manage energy and no complicated mechanics to increase efficiency. At worst, I have to manage my zeroing shots, which is a fairly insignificant buff, followthrough (which is so cheap that its "always activate when you can) and the free snipe every so often for refreshing cover (which also refreshes intertial dampers). Missing any of those but a followthrough is pretty unimportant, and followthrough is pretty forgiving. Oh, and I guess I need to drop my anti-armor debuff on a target sometimes, more if its healing. Pretty drat easy, but that huge post about how to heal effectively made me think that I've got it uniquely easy. "Shoot weak stuff first in an non-terrible manner, don't shoot cc'd things" is, well, simple as poo poo, and this is my first MMO.

Pex-Corrh
Oct 15, 2011

That thing, you have, I need it.

Blasphemaster posted:

I hated having to fight Revan, especially as the Revanite. Wish there had been an option to go "Screw you guys, I'm siding with Revan!"
Same thing with me during False Emperor.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
If you want a high effort alt, make an assassin tank. If you just want a different experience, maybe try a jedi guardian to see the other side of the game. My first playthrough was a BH and now I'm enjoying smacking things with lightsabers as a change of pace.

I also have an operative alt that just hit 10. Is concealment a viable leveling build these days? I'll probably respec heals later, but I'd rather solo pve as the sneakiest motherfucker around.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Promethium posted:

Incorrect, force shroud is the best thing as it allows you to laugh at many phases in boss fights.

Death from above is the best animation though.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

hobbesmaster posted:

Incorrect, force shroud is the best thing as it allows you to laugh at many phases in boss fights.

Death from above is the best animation though.

While Death from above is rad, I'm a big fan of the flechette round loading and the rocket punch animations. There is just something about a jetpack assisted punch :allears:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

JayJay posted:

Going to give this one more try before I join some random pub guild for the XP boost.

Need an invite for Rahmus on JC server, any goon guilds out there. :toot:

"Rahmus does not exist." according to the JC friends list program.

Send Jeyte a tell tonight I guess? I'll be sleeping after 8 Pacific, but I should be on most of the night.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hobbesmaster posted:

This makes the bonus boss in Hammer Station way easier. Pop force shroud when he Rampages, and he stops as soon as you hit him. Much less damage to the group. You can basically avoid 3 out of 4 of them (force shroud and the CC break).

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
Concealment Op is not only totally viable, but I feel spoiled when I try to play any other spec/class. It is the single target, "wait, the mob can attack?" king. H2s are a joke, and if an H4 involves grabbing/destroying objects or involves bots/humans, I will sit there at the keyboard cackling because it feels like cheating. Then you Sleep Dart a champion guarding a chest and make off with the loot. It's the only class where I feel comfortable running with a DPS comp and only have to heal if I get lazy.

That said, it's slower. I line up pulls, I get through packs by CCing most of them and stabbing them one at a time. It's not like my Jugg where I'll be tapping keys after a Smash only to realize all the mobs are dead. Also, Hidden Strike needs to be proc-able outside of Stealth because my DPS in groups is kinda crap. And PvP? I'll only kill someone if I get off two rotations. But that's not my job. My job is to get the entire team chasing after me after I Incapacitate their healer and Flash Grenade a pack of Sentinels only to vanish while someone else is capping.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Rascyc posted:

I guess my view is probably biased in that I always heal for my 5-mans just to avoid those situations. I feel like I can account for almost any level of stupidity in a normal FP, short of a mob train.

A big part of the reason I switched to tanking is because the Tank seems to be the weak link the majority of the time. DPS can be off in outer space doing whatever, but if they don't break CC then they aren't actively harming you. Tanks I feel like can do that easily.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Concealment Op is not only totally viable, but I feel spoiled when I try to play any other spec/class. It is the single target, "wait, the mob can attack?" king. H2s are a joke, and if an H4 involves grabbing/destroying objects or involves bots/humans, I will sit there at the keyboard cackling because it feels like cheating. Then you Sleep Dart a champion guarding a chest and make off with the loot. It's the only class where I feel comfortable running with a DPS comp and only have to heal if I get lazy.

That said, it's slower. I line up pulls, I get through packs by CCing most of them and stabbing them one at a time. It's not like my Jugg where I'll be tapping keys after a Smash only to realize all the mobs are dead. Also, Hidden Strike needs to be proc-able outside of Stealth because my DPS in groups is kinda crap. And PvP? I'll only kill someone if I get off two rotations. But that's not my job. My job is to get the entire team chasing after me after I Incapacitate their healer and Flash Grenade a pack of Sentinels only to vanish while someone else is capping.

Roll a sin/shadow and not only can you do all of the H2/H4s but you are also one of the best pvp classes. Flashbangs are cool but an aoe taunt is a 30% damage reduction on your team around a cap point. You can vanish you start taking too much damage.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, in Sith Warrior story during Taris You get the chance of sparing the first general if you allow his men to continue on the project. Pretty much the "ultimate" light side option that you get if you allow the miners to stay as they call a silent alarm. What does this entail? Even asking him about the project will get you in combat but does this choice have actual consequences within the storyline? It feels like betrayal considering I don't have the necessary information to make an informed decision. But if I can "avoid" a war blabla I might want to take it. I have to reset the quest in order to get to the option again and I'll have to collect those transponders again, ugh.

This is actually the most difficult choice in the story so far. Though, I still feel dumb over agonizing it. :ughh:

Yeah, I got that... kinda. It seems a bit too fantasy even for Star Wars though. Well, actually, on another thought, it kind of reminds me of Valley of the Jedi
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 12, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dessel posted:

So, in Sith Warrior story during Taris You get the chance of sparing the first general if you allow his men to continue on the project. Pretty much the "ultimate" light side option that you get if you allow the miners to stay as they call a silent alarm. What does this entail? Even asking him about the project will get you in combat but does this choice have actual consequences within the storyline? It feels like betrayal considering I don't have the necessary information to make an informed decision. But if I can "avoid" a war blabla I might want to take it. I have to reset the quest in order to get to the option again and I'll have to collect those transponders again, ugh.

This is actually the most difficult choice in the story so far. Though, I still feel dumb over agonizing it. :ughh:

It's not gonna make a difference. You'll get a differently worded email a few hours later maybe.

But seriously dude the republic project is pretty much implied to be powered using people's souls or something (at least, I can't think of any other reason the only source of this energy would be centuries-dead remains of genocided Tarisians), if you're light side you need to be destroying that poo poo.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
2.2 patch notes are out. All cartel packs are going away it seems ("embargoed"). Im trying to decide if its worth it to pick some up tonight and resell after the patch.

Stan S. Stanman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 12, 2013

Pex-Corrh
Oct 15, 2011

That thing, you have, I need it.

Kaysette posted:

I also have an operative alt that just hit 10. Is concealment a viable leveling build these days? I'll probably respec heals later, but I'd rather solo pve as the sneakiest motherfucker around.

I leveled concealment back in the day and still solo in that spec, works great for me.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Stan S. Stanman posted:

2.2 patch notes are out. All cartel packs are going away it seems ("embargoed"). Im trying to decide if its worth it to pick some up tonight and resell after the patch.

Aren't they only going away for a while, though?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I think just the first batch of packs are going away. Anyways, here is the stuff in the new packs:
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130611

That assault cannon is pretty sweet.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the Assault Cannon looks badass. I've been trying to find an assault cannon off GTN that actually looks cool, but with little look. The Bunker Busters would look cooler if the cannons themselves had more detail, but I'm a sucker for the hologram readout thingy.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Rookersh posted:

"Rahmus does not exist." according to the JC friends list program.

Send Jeyte a tell tonight I guess? I'll be sleeping after 8 Pacific, but I should be on most of the night.

Weird, I can't friend you either. Not sure what is going on.

Edit: Oh wait, i'm an imperial. Is TNG a republic guild? The OP said it wasn't. Or are you not TNG. So confused. :psyduck:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 12, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You have to be online at the same time or else it gives the "does not exist" error.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Eltoasto posted:

I think just the first batch of packs are going away. Anyways, here is the stuff in the new packs:
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130611

That assault cannon is pretty sweet.
So are they ever going to give us Covert Pants?

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Al Baron posted:

So are they ever going to give us Covert Pants?

Don't they already exist?

Also,

:toot:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

JayJay posted:

Weird, I can't friend you either. Not sure what is going on.

Edit: Oh wait, i'm an imperial. Is TNG a republic guild? The OP said it wasn't. Or are you not TNG. So confused. :psyduck:

Me and Jeyte are in Prime-Defense, which is the JC Pub guild with a bunch of goons in it. TNG is the Imperial guild.

Sorry for that, I was confused at first too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Posting for an invite for my Consular, Suex. (It's pronounced "Sue".) (Like from "A Boy Named Sue".) (And constantly mispronounced "Sucks".) (Which is why he's mad as hell and evil as gently caress. :black101: )

• Locked thread