Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sparkleheart
Jun 27, 2010

Has anyone had this experience with Lo Loestrin Fe and found a good solution?

I'm taking BC to alleviate extreme mood changes before/ during my period, really heavy and long periods, and really bad breakouts before/ during. Lo Loestrin is really helping with all of these issues, and was perfect for the first 6 months I took it. Lately, though, my breasts and upper arms are so swollen I can't fit into shirts and I am having a really difficult time controlling my weight. I don't know if I'm hugely bloated, retaining a shitload of water, or if I'm gaining weight ridiculously from the pills.

I brought this issue up with my Gyno and she didn't seem concerned by the extreme swelling and told me that Lo Loestrin has the least estrogen of any BC pill, so it was either this or nothing.

I really don't want to go back to 12 day periods and feeling depressed every month, but I'm scared that I seem to keep gaining weight despite eating about the same amount of calories every day, being active, and working out. The swelling of my upper arms is also really confusing and distressing because I've never heard of this side effect from BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Okay before I make any suggestions absolutely ask your doctor to investigate any non-hormonal causes of your upper-body swelling and weight gain. Hormones do a lot of things to your body but people (especially young women who are used to dealing with the strangest things from their birth control) sometimes ascribe stuff to "hormones" that is definitely not hormonal. I know you talked to her already but maybe call back if you're still worried and ask to investigate anything else that could be causing it? IANAD so I have no ideas but I do work with hormones for a living and that is not really something we see very often.

That said if you think the estrogens in your pill are the culprit, you can switch to a long-term progestin-only method such as Mirena, Implanon or the mini-pill. If you think it's the progestin in the pill causing that problem then you're in a stickier spot and really need to evaluate the pros and cons of the BC.

I assume though, that because your doctor said it was "this or nothing" she thinks that it's the estrogens that are fixing your mood issues. You CAN use bioidentical hormone replacement therapy/supplements to take pill-form estradiol, estriol and/or estrone. It's not birth control (it will not prevent pregnancy) and obviously talk to your doctor about hormone stuff like that (all though there are some mild over-the-counter solutions that might help you? Just make sure it has the hormones listed on the ingredients label and isn't just naturopathic bs).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

GoodBee posted:

Soft cups are the way to go.

I know it's probably weird, but I'm just not a big fan of cups. This is really the first time it's been quite so um "horror movie-esque." I liked it better when I was younger and got really horny around ovulation instead of during my period like I do now.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Also, sparkleheart, to add to what InEscape said, if you feel your doctor isn't listening to your concerns, find one that will. This is a lesson I have learned the hard way. I never wanted to look like a doctor jumper or a hypochondriac. But the reality is your doctors work for you. You pay them. And if they aren't working for you, 'fire' them.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

sparkleheart posted:

Has anyone had this experience with Lo Loestrin Fe and found a good solution?

I was on Loestrin for probably four or five years and never had any problems like that. I also don't think I'm particularly sensitive to hormones, but like other people have said, what you're experiencing might not be hormonal. And also, like Geolicious just said above, you might want to consider getting a second opinion if your doctor is convinced it's all just hormones, especially if you're worried about the effects you're experiencing. There are a lot of other BC options so maybe another doctor would be able to tell you about some that might be better, or help you out if all that stuff isn't hormone-related.

Sparowe
Jun 27, 2010

Like a bird on the wire...
Hello thread.

I usually avoid posting very often due to anxiety unless I need advice on something, so here I am.

I hope someone hasn't spoken about something similar already, but I'm kinda panicky about this, so I apologise if it has been discussed already. :ohdear:

I'm going to summarise quite a bit as my full story is incredibly long (and can be found in the backlog of threads in the Goon Doctor, yay), but basically, on the 6th of this month I started a combination pill of Levonorgestrel (150 micrograms) and Ethinylestradiol (30 micrograms) to help reduce and regulate pain and bleeding that I've been experiencing due to some complicated health issues that are still being looked at.

Since starting the pill, I have not stopped bleeding. At all, and from day one. I'm not sure if this is just my body adjusting to it or not, but the bleeding and pain is far heavier and worse than it was before I started it. I'm two days into the placebo of my first pack, and I'm obsessing over whether or not I should contact the out-patients department where I'm being seen at the moment (gov. hospital) and make an emergency appointment, or simply wait this out until my follow up appointment on the 30th of September (two weeks after other scheduled tests)?

I've also noticed... fleshy things and the bleeding is becoming rather intolerable, and to say it's disrupting my sex life would be an understatement. I'm used to light spotting and severe pain, it's part of why I'm getting all these tests done, but this is rather extreme. Not even the pain management I'm on reduces the intensity of some of these cramps.

Advice. Please?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Are you filling a pad or tampon within an hour, for multiple hours in a row? If so, yes, make an emergency appointment. If not, just make a normal peace of mind appointment sooner than September. Which pill are you on? Most of them are combinations of those things in one way or another so that's not much information.

Uh, having checked your other thread, I think you'd better just make an appointment for as soon as you can. The bleeding question is still pertinent, and it is normal unfortunately for the first month-3 months of a new BC pill to cause bleeding at the wrong times, but constant and heavy is worrying. I'm sorry because I know you have anxiety issues and all that and I bet I'm making it worse, but yeah with your history and heavy bleeding now please go to the doctor. :sympathy:

Sparowe
Jun 27, 2010

I'll contact them tomorrow morning and find out when the closest appointment I can get is.

I'm taking OralCon, and a pad (tampons are painful to use right now) typically needs to be changed every 2-3 hours.

Heh, it's a bit bizarre having something "real" to obsess over, but yeah. I'll get this checked out. I do remember the OB/GYN that I saw bitching heavily about bureaucracy, etc. and the length of waiting lists...

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Definitely make an appointment for as soon as you can. Tell them on the phone what is happening and don't sugar coat it.
This sounds very similar to what happened to me recently. I was all "Oh calm down Silver, your body's just doing weird things.." when my doctor called me first thing in the morning the day after I had blood works done to tell me that my hemoglobin was almost at transfusion levels and to SIT DOWN.

If you are tired all the time, having heart palpitations for no reason(it's a very different feeling to a panic attack and you'd notice the difference), much paler than usual, and soaking a pad every hour for multiple hours go to the hospital. :sympathy:

edit: In my case the first time it happened it was :supaburn: for 4 days straight and the second time it was a long slow three month process of consta-period.

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 29, 2013

Sparowe
Jun 27, 2010

Strangely good to hear about this happening to someone else, as horrible as it is. Sorry you had to endure this horrid experience too. :(

Apparently the only booking that can be made is a month and a half away and the doctor overseeing my case was unavailable, so I will try again tomorrow, and the next day, and again and again, until I can speak to someone and make an emergency appointment. Obviously, I've developed a bit of a negative association with heading to casualty due to the amount of times I ended up there in Jan/Feb, so while a part of me is saying. "Wait it out a bit," the other part is shouting at me, "You know this ain't right."

May I ask what your condition is, SilverSliver?

I've heard that if the pill isn't alleviating any of the symptoms that I am on it for (possible endo), or making them worse, that the procedure is to usually look at non-hormonal causes for whatever this is as soon as possible. :ohdear:

I will admit though that over the last month, I have noticed some small pros to being on it. My weight isn't dropping as dramatically (I've managed to maintain a weight between 47-49 this entire time - I'm 5"3), and my skin is looking a bit better... :unsmith:

But I guess those are really small pros in comparison to the cons.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I actually don't have an answer yet other than menorrhagia out of the blue. I'm guessing that it's genetic though because the same thing happened to my maternal Grandmother, and to a lesser degree my Mother.
The first time it happened I had the Paraguard and found out that my body isn't a copper fan. It was 4 days of whoa ending with getting two blood transfusions and it was stopped with Cyklokapron(tranexamic acid).
The second time it was absolutely nothing. I got my period about a week early and it continued for three months. Cyklokapron was tried again but didn't work as well as it did previously. Got some blood work done to take a look at my hormone levels and was called the next morning by my doctor. Hemoglobin was at 70, so he called in an emergency prescription for birth control pills and that did stop it within 24 hours. Went to see him the next day and he put in my Mirena.
I was all "Just take it out - I'm not using it!" but he wanted to try the Mirena first and so far so good. (It's been three weeks now and I'm spotting *barely* after getting a p normal period)
I've had more blood work done and going in for a check up in a few weeks.
edit: I was given very thorough looksees at my abdomen. Internal and external sonograms, blood levels checked, and poked and prodded by multiple doctors in the hospital. Found functional cysts on my ovaries and a thick uterine lining - all normal stuff for women my age and nothing funny with my uterus at all.

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 29, 2013

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
Those that have the Mirena: Did you notice a tendency to have a bit of spotting/breakthrough bleeding after working out for the first few weeks after insertion? Admittedly, I lift somewhat heavy, but it's been interesting to experience it directly after working out. Considering everything else, this is nothing, but I tend to overworry.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

NewsGunkie posted:

Those that have the Mirena: Did you notice a tendency to have a bit of spotting/breakthrough bleeding after working out for the first few weeks after insertion? Admittedly, I lift somewhat heavy, but it's been interesting to experience it directly after working out. Considering everything else, this is nothing, but I tend to overworry.

I posted about this a few pages ago. I spotted after every workout for almost a year and, in the last few weeks, it's finally died down.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Okay, so, I'm looking for a little advice... A little over a month ago I went off my BC pills, because I couldn't find my new pack, and I was too insanely busy to go get a new one (as some of you may remember me posting about). I started a new pack yesterday, and I felt exhausted all day, which was weird because lately I had been feeling way more energetic. After thinking about it, I realized that after I started BC almost two years ago, I have constantly been sleeping; I can never get enough. Some nights I'll sleep 12 hours, and I won't feel like it's enough. However, after taking a month off, my energy levels are back to what they used to be pre-pill (sleeping five hours a night, feeling energized in the morning, etc.). I then realized I hadn't been very interested in sex since starting this pill (thought it was because I was so exhausted from whatever the gently caress I thought I was doing), I've lacked motivation to do anything, and I've been vaguely depressed the entire time. Now, I don't know for sure the pill caused any of these (because I'm not a doctor), but is there a way to tell? When I go into my old man doctor on Friday are there specific things I should say or ask? I'm on reclipsen now, if that's helpful. Originally I started it because my acne was so bad and my periods were so heavy. I don't really want to go back to either of those things, but I also don't want to sleep my life away... Any suggestions? :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I don't think there's any way to tell for sure beyond a process of elimination. You had these symptoms while you were on the pill, they went away when you stopped taking it, they came back when you restarted it and it sounds like you haven't changed anything else in your life significantly during the last month or so. Which isn't concrete proof, but it's probably as close as you can get since there's no test that's going to say "yes it's definitely the BC making you tired."

I don't know your doctor but I think just explaining it to him like that will go a long way. And if he doesn't listen to your concerns, it may be time to find another doctor who's more open to exploring other BC options that might be a better fit.

And for whatever it's worth, I experienced low-level depression/sex drive problems on the pill that I really didn't notice very much until I stopped taking it. It was never severe (which is probably why I didn't pick up on it at the time) but just like a constant feeling of "blah" about everything all the time.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 4, 2013

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
It could be the pill, it probably is, but that doesn't mean you're stuck going back to acne and heavy periods. The various pills and other b/c methods will affect you differently, you may need to try something else to get better results. Many women in this thread prefer IUDs or the implant option, you really need to discuss with your doctor the side-effects you're experiencing and don't let him dismiss you.

I love the pill I'm on, I feel great, but there are lots of women who lost their libido while on it. Or, even more extreme, were drat near suicidal. Other than the first two months of adjusting I've had no issues at all, especially when it comes to my interest in sex. But that's me and there's no telling how you would react to the same hormone combo.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I am now a cyborg. Thanks, BC thread! Also I did my best and managed to not pass out, although I went extremely pale(r than usual, heh) and my GP suggested I lie down for a while and get my colour back before she let me leave. Apparently I have a really strong vagal response! :shobon:

It hasn't really hurt at all(except when I managed to punch myself in the arm earlier, ~welp~) but it is suuuuper weird to touch the skin next to the plaster and feel something underneath it. I think my hindbrain is just going 'THERE'S SOMETHING WEIRD INSIDE ME OH GOD' and I'll probably get used to it soon. Now I don't have to worry about missing my pills while I'm at the music festival I'm going to next week! Awesome.

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

Niemat posted:

Okay, so, I'm looking for a little advice...

This happened to me on Yazmin, and I felt soooo much better once I switched pills. You really don't have to go back to acne and terrible periods! Hell, I can't even take combined pills anymore and even the minipill I'm on has helped reduce my periods dramatically. You have tons of options and not all of them will (or even have the capacity to) make you feel like that, and if your doctor isn't interested in helping you find something that works for you, find a new doctor.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Thanks for the support, everyone! It definitely made me feel better to know I wasn't alone, and I wasn't crazy! I went into my family doctor today, and he prescribed Yaz, which has a lower amount of estrogen than reclipsen to see if Yaz will not only let me keep my energy, but also keep the acne/flow in line. Fingers crossed it works well! :ohdear:

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

This happened to me on Yazmin, and I felt soooo much better once I switched pills.

Interestingly (or maybe not so much, haha), I found out today Yazmin and Reclipsen have the same amount of estrogen! I'm hoping to have success on a new pill like you've had! :unsmith:

EDIT: Uhhh, or not so much on the Yaz... I went to pick up my prescription, and it's Gianvi, which is apparently the generic Yaz... Do I say something to anyone...? :S I'm assuming that had to be by design since it's the Yaz specific generic...?

Niemat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 7, 2013

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Sorry for the double post, but I figured enough time had gone by to merit a second one. :(

I was prescribed Yaz today by my doctor, but received Gianvi instead. I started looking online (which probably is never a good idea), and people are very commonly complaining (read: complaining vehemently on every site I've looked at) of terrible cystic acne as a side effect, in addition to other not so great side effects (extreme depression, extreme weight gain, bleeding for two weeks straight, etc.). I have all sorts of acne WITHOUT a BC pill, so now I'm wondering if I should start taking the generic. I know everyone responds differently to different pills, and I know I'm not very knowledgable about BC pills, but is it common to have so much hatred on the internet towards specific BC pills...? If I'm just paranoid and dumb, please tell me. :saddowns:

As a side note, I called the pharmacy back, and the pharmacist said normally they don't take returns, but they might be able to work something out with me as long as everything is unopened, and my insurance/doctor agree I can have the brand name. So, if there is some reason I shouldn't take the generic, I've already started the gears in motion to get switched.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Niemat posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I figured enough time had gone by to merit a second one. :(

I was prescribed Yaz today by my doctor, but received Gianvi instead. I started looking online (which probably is never a good idea), and people are very commonly complaining (read: complaining vehemently on every site I've looked at) of terrible cystic acne as a side effect, in addition to other not so great side effects (extreme depression, extreme weight gain, bleeding for two weeks straight, etc.). I have all sorts of acne WITHOUT a BC pill, so now I'm wondering if I should start taking the generic. I know everyone responds differently to different pills, and I know I'm not very knowledgable about BC pills, but is it common to have so much hatred on the internet towards specific BC pills...? If I'm just paranoid and dumb, please tell me. :saddowns:

As a side note, I called the pharmacy back, and the pharmacist said normally they don't take returns, but they might be able to work something out with me as long as everything is unopened, and my insurance/doctor agree I can have the brand name. So, if there is some reason I shouldn't take the generic, I've already started the gears in motion to get switched.

Yes, hatred for pills on the internet is extremely common. You can search for pretty much any specific method of birth control (pretty much every pill/patch/ring in existence, implants, IUDs, everything) and find all kinds of horror stories about them. People tend not to say anything when a BC method works just fine for them, so the stuff that does get posted is very much skewed towards the negative.

Generic drugs are made to be therapeutically the same as their brand name counterparts (same active ingredients). It's the inactive ingredients that might differ.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Niemat posted:

If you thought you'd be fine with yaz you'll be fine with the generic. It's a tiny pill, the chance of any of the inactive ingredients causing all the side effects you mentioned are miniscule.

You can look into having your hormone levels tested so you can see if there's something that's causing the hormonal acne that could be fixed but it's expensive and a little controversial. Maybe $200 bucks for a test that'll give you all your relevant sex hormone levels. If your doctor (IANAD) thinks that your acne may be related to hormones you may find that you can get acne relief with something that's progestin-only (minipill, implanon, mirena/skyla), or you can supplement with more estrone/estradiol/estriol (the compounded estrogens). I have no idea whether that's something doctors can determine by looking at hormone levels, and I imagine it would depend on both the doctor and the patient (aka the doctor has to know enough about hormonal acne to know where to look and the patient has to actually have acne caused by hormone imbalances and not other stuff). If you are really that miserable with your current set of hormones, there ARE other options. Some of them may not prevent pregnancy, though.

If your old man doctor doesn't want to give you a hormone test AND you want one, they are available on amazon (but are pricier).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

InEscape posted:

If you thought you'd be fine with yaz you'll be fine with the generic. It's a tiny pill, the chance of any of the inactive ingredients causing all the side effects you mentioned are miniscule.

Yeah the whole point of a generic is that it's basically the same, it's just not being sold under the brand name patented by a drug company. This tends to make them more affordable and so a lot of pharmacies will automatically distribute a generic unless specifically told not to.

And just for an example, when I was researching and trying to decide about the copper IUD (which keep in mind has NO hormones in it at all) I found all kinds of people out there blaming it for pretty much every side-effect they could like acne, hair loss, weight gain, fatigue, etc. Along with several women who were convinced they had copper poisoning from it even though they had none of the typical symptoms of copper toxicity. Not to say that the IUD has no effects at all, but just that some people will take any vague symptom and blame it on their BC no matter what it is whether or not it even makes sense. Other than level-headed places like this thread and reputable medical sites, anything the internet says about BC should be taken with a big grain of salt.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks to this thread i decided to take the plunge and switch from pills to an IUD (Mirena). Figured I should share my experience for others.

I just had my insertion today and yikes! I have no children and my cervix was being a bit stubborn. My doctor was pretty good and she did manage to get my cervix open and that part sucked (took her a couple of painful pokes). It actually made me jerk. Then she quickly popped in the IUD and it was done. Overall it was really quick. She might have been down there for 10 minutes and besides the initial shock to the cervix I've had nothing but period like cramps. Ibuprofen, heat pad and ice cream seems to be helping. Honestly for 5 years of BC totally worth it.

I'm also a cup user and my doctor didn't seem to think I would be at more risk than tampon users. As for getting the IUD all I had to do was get a referral from my family doctor to see the clinics onsite IUD Doctor and with one appointment I had a prescription. I am in :canada: but there was no issue due to my age or the fact I haven't given birth. Reading through the thread I see a lot of you were told to check your strings. My doctor never mentioned anything about them. I'll probably bring them up to her at my 2 month appointment.

here's hoping for smooth sailing over the next 5 years :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lady Xava posted:

Reading through the thread I see a lot of you were told to check your strings. My doctor never mentioned anything about them. I'll probably bring them up to her at my 2 month appointment.

here's hoping for smooth sailing over the next 5 years :)

My doctor showed me what the strings felt like and had me feel for them once, but they never really made a big deal out of checking the strings. I used to check them a lot but since the cervix moves around during my cycle, I haven't really found it very useful for much except the reassurance of "yep, it's still in there."

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I still have never been able to find my strings nearly a year later. I just use "my period is still gone but I still get cramps" as my reassurance that it's still in action.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
At what point do daily cramps become something that needs to be addressed? I've been riding it out so far, because the Mirena is a fantastic method, but getting hit with deep, takes my breath away for a second, cramps on a relatively daily basis is a bit odd. I'm using a heating pad and naproxen, but it doesn't seem to touch it much.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
So you got yours about 4 weeks ago?

I was experiencing spasms and and cramps almost daily for maybe a monthish. The deep take your breath kind started later for me and they have mostly sorted out to only happening around my "period".

But, in my opinion, nothing is too silly to call you doc about if it's a concern. Peace of mind is a very valuable thing to have.

And, on a more anecdotal note, naproxen never touched my cramps either. Ibu or nothing for those is what works for me. Naproxen only helps me with joint pain.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

The first couple of months it just takes patience to wait it out. I had cramping and also the hilariously strong upper-thigh cramps within the first month or month-and-a-half. Paracetamol was my food then. I've always had a very random cycle, so this is not universal, but the spotting shenanigans ceased for good around the four month mark.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

Geolicious posted:

So you got yours about 4 weeks ago?

I was experiencing spasms and and cramps almost daily for maybe a monthish. The deep take your breath kind started later for me and they have mostly sorted out to only happening around my "period".

But, in my opinion, nothing is too silly to call you doc about if it's a concern. Peace of mind is a very valuable thing to have.

And, on a more anecdotal note, naproxen never touched my cramps either. Ibu or nothing for those is what works for me. Naproxen only helps me with joint pain.

I....didn't know that about the Naproxen. I guess I'll get some ibuprofen. Yeah, it's been about 4 weeks, and I'm due for another period in about a week.

Menschsein posted:

The first couple of months it just takes patience to wait it out. I had cramping and also the hilariously strong upper-thigh cramps within the first month or month-and-a-half. Paracetamol was my food then. I've always had a very random cycle, so this is not universal, but the spotting shenanigans ceased for good around the four month mark.

Oh god, the upper thigh cramps are the worst.

Thanks for the infomation, guys, I do appreciate it. After all of the issues with my implanon, I'm more than a little anxious with the Mirena.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

I still have never been able to find my strings nearly a year later. I just use "my period is still gone but I still get cramps" as my reassurance that it's still in action.

Really, I personally wouldn't recommend checking the strings a lot anyway unless maybe there's some other weird symptoms going on. For me it's always caused some anxiety because it's nearly impossible to tell if your strings are still the same length and everything while you're just feeling around in there. And like I mentioned earlier they move around which can make them feel longer/shorter depending on the day. I just kind of do a once a month "maintenance check" now.

NewsGunkie posted:

At what point do daily cramps become something that needs to be addressed? I've been riding it out so far, because the Mirena is a fantastic method, but getting hit with deep, takes my breath away for a second, cramps on a relatively daily basis is a bit odd. I'm using a heating pad and naproxen, but it doesn't seem to touch it much.

Is it like constant all day cramping or just random one-off cramps? I remember in the first month or two I used to get hit with at least 1-2 big random cramps a day, usually when I was at work bending and moving around a lot. I can't really remember a clear timeframe (maybe sometime in the second month) but there was eventually a turning point where it stopped and everything just felt normal again. Even almost 6 months on I still get a random cramp occasionally but it's not a daily thing like back then.

You can count me as another that didn't get much help from naproxen. I thought it would be better since it's so long lasting, but ibuprofen and to a lesser extent Tylenol are the only things that helped. And heat of course!

Also yes, the cramps that radiate into your thighs are terrible and just feel so...wrong somehow. But I never get them unless I'm on my period now.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

NewsGunkie posted:

I....didn't know that about the Naproxen. I guess I'll get some ibuprofen. Yeah, it's been about 4 weeks, and I'm due for another period in about a week.

It is anecdotal, mind you. People react differently to different anti-inflammatory type things. Naproxen works fine for me :shrug:

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Lady Xava posted:

I'm also a cup user and my doctor didn't seem to think I would be at more risk than tampon users. As for getting the IUD all I had to do was get a referral from my family doctor to see the clinics onsite IUD Doctor and with one appointment I had a prescription. I am in :canada: but there was no issue due to my age or the fact I haven't given birth. Reading through the thread I see a lot of you were told to check your strings. My doctor never mentioned anything about them. I'll probably bring them up to her at my 2 month appointment.

Just commenting on the cup thing because I just got a Mirena put in me about a month ago (no problems so far, whoo! And this thread was a great help) and I'm also a die-hard cup user. I was super nervous at first, and I went with pads for about a week because my doctor told me to, but I've had zero problems with using a cup so far. I've just been careful about breaking the seal before I take it out.

As far as the string-checking thing, I do it occasionally just as a sort of obsessive habit, but my doctor told me I didn't really ever need to check them.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I got my Mirena a little over a month ago and I'm on my 'period'. I use quotation marks because it's just spotting but the cramps suck rocks. It's turned me into a bit of a sucky whiny baby because I didn't get bad cramping before. Ibuprofen is my buddy. And holy hells do my boobs hurt. Anyone else get a case of itchy nipples? It's happened before during my period but this is almost obnoxious.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SilverSliver posted:

Anyone else get a case of itchy nipples?

YES OH GOD ITS AWFUL

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Just commenting on the cup thing because I just got a Mirena put in me about a month ago (no problems so far, whoo! And this thread was a great help) and I'm also a die-hard cup user. I was super nervous at first, and I went with pads for about a week because my doctor told me to, but I've had zero problems with using a cup so far. I've just been careful about breaking the seal before I take it out.

As far as the string-checking thing, I do it occasionally just as a sort of obsessive habit, but my doctor told me I didn't really ever need to check them.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance on the string thing. I probably take the route of oh hey they are there all is fine and dandy. I think I would lose my mind if I tried keep track of long they are every time.

When I asked my doctor if I could use my cup for the bleeding after insertion she told told me there wouldn't be enough blood and a pad would be fine. She didn't actually say no but I decided to use pads and give things some time to settle. Between this and the cup thread I feel like I've empowered myself haha. Using a cup is one of the best decisions I've ever made and I think getting an IUD will join it.

I'm about 24 hours post insertion and I am surprised at how little I'm spotting. There is barely anything there and a pantyliner is more then enough. I guess I read one too many horror stories online and was expecting a flood. As for my cramps they're basically gone. A few twinges now and then but I haven't taken any Ibuprofen since I woke up, over 7 hours ago. This might just be my mind trying to focus on the IUD but it feels like the twinges are more to one side (left) then the other. Anyone else notice this or am I making up things to worry about? I took the day off today since I wasn't sure how things would go but I could have made through the day.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

Geolicious posted:

YES OH GOD ITS AWFUL

Hahahaha. Trying to nonchalantly scratch in public - there's the 'upper inner arm' manoeuvre while you scratch the back of your neck, the 'casual inner wrist' while you fix your necklace, and the ever popular 'fixing my bra strap' in vain hopes that the bra will scratch it for you.

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 11, 2013

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
Woops. Hit the wrong button. :/

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SilverSliver posted:

Hahahaha. Trying to nonchalantly scratch in public - there's the 'upper inner arm' manoeuvre while you scratch the back of your neck, the 'casual inner wrist' while you fix your necklace, and the ever popular 'fixing my bra strap' in vain hopes that the bra will scratch it for you.

Sometimes I am glad of the isolated cubicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007

Geolicious posted:

YES OH GOD ITS AWFUL

I thought I was the only one!

• Locked thread