Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Datsun Honeybee
Mar 26, 2004

God bless us, every one.
Wellp, I bought this.

Brand new 2013 XL1200C. It's the 4th bike I've owned and so far my favorite. I've only had Japanese bikes until now... my last one being a '91 CB750.
The new fat front-ends on these things really jumped out at me visually while browsing.
It's a blast to ride, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000

Datsun Honeybee posted:

Wellp, I bought this.

Brand new 2013 XL1200C. It's the 4th bike I've owned and so far my favorite. I've only had Japanese bikes until now... my last one being a '91 CB750.
The new fat front-ends on these things really jumped out at me visually while browsing.
It's a blast to ride, too.

She looks great, I want to be on a 1200 within a couple years.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Yay for a sporty without a peanut tank!

Good lookin bike.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

That looks awesome. Really makes me want to put a mid-glide and 16" wheel on the front of mine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Yay for a sporty without a peanut tank!

Good lookin bike.

Peanuts are the best looking tank possibe :colbert:

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Peanuts are the best looking tank possibe :colbert:

I agree, they're great to look at on the side of the road while awaiting a refueling. :smug:

(The only Harley I've ever owned was a Sporster 48, I'm still salty about having to constantly fill that peanut tank up!)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mikemo Tyson posted:

I agree, they're great to look at on the side of the road while awaiting a refueling. :smug:

(The only Harley I've ever owned was a Sporster 48, I'm still salty about having to constantly fill that peanut tank up!)

Just swap it out for a king peanut. same look, more gas.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
If I ride to town to get a coke, it's 40 miles round trip.

It's 29 miles to where my woman has her business. The third closest town is 35 miles. A peanut tank would make riding impossible out here. If you can't make 170 miles you're screwed.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Heyo Harleygoons got a seating question for y'all. I'm looking to replace the pillion seat on my 2000 XLH with something a bit more comfy. I use a Mustang touring solo for my seat so I've been considering just getting one of the pillion add on seats for them but they're roundabouts 200 dollars for one of the vintage ones that'll fit my pillion. Anyone got any suggestions for a good comfy passenger seat that'll fit on a 2000-2003 Sportster?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

ArbitraryTA posted:

Heyo Harleygoons got a seating question for y'all. I'm looking to replace the pillion seat on my 2000 XLH with something a bit more comfy. I use a Mustang touring solo for my seat so I've been considering just getting one of the pillion add on seats for them but they're roundabouts 200 dollars for one of the vintage ones that'll fit my pillion. Anyone got any suggestions for a good comfy passenger seat that'll fit on a 2000-2003 Sportster?

Most pillions aren't very comfy. I'd look into a touring seat if you are riding 2up.

I run a Mustang Regal Duke. Found it used locally for 75 bucks. It is very comfortable.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Slight hijack on that. Any of you shorties got a recommendation for my wife's Softail? Looking over the rider seat options there are reduced reach, lowering, and a handful of other options.

They're all rather steep.

Getting her feet closer to the ground is priority. She can reach the controls just fine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright CAHOG, time to find out what to do. My old Honda is going up for sale. When it does sell do I do the smart thing and pay off a credit card or my Sportster; or do I do the fun thing and drop a bunch of the money on a kickstart modification, new frame, springer front end and all the powder coating ever?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

Slight hijack on that. Any of you shorties got a recommendation for my wife's Softail? Looking over the rider seat options there are reduced reach, lowering, and a handful of other options.

Getting her feet closer to the ground is priority. She can reach the controls just fine.

Rather than a different seat. I'd probably look at lowering the suspension a couple inches. Progressive makes a drop in kit for the front for like $100 and the rear lowering would be like $50. Assuming you are doing the work yourself.

This is assuming she's not riding so aggressively she needs that extra suspension travel.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Alright CAHOG, time to find out what to do. My old Honda is going up for sale. When it does sell do I do the smart thing and pay off a credit card or my Sportster; or do I do the fun thing and drop a bunch of the money on a kickstart modification, new frame, springer front end and all the powder coating ever?

Smart Option: Pay off whichever has the higher interest rate.
Fun Option: Buy cool poo poo.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Don't the forks in Softails only have a few inches of travel to begin with? That seems like a big drop...

Certainly the cheaper and more effective option as far as lowering the bike goes though. I'll look into it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh god why would you put a springer front end on anything

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

Oh god why would you put a springer front end on anything

Freedom, man. :911:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You cant make a hardtail handle any worse, so its not like its a downgrade

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just remove all the damping components from your forks and leave the springs in, that'll emulate the springer front end nicely.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You cant make a hardtail handle any worse, so its not like its a downgrade

See, Jim knows.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Halo_4am posted:

I have a low profile seat that came off my Crossbones (uncle had it on there so my aunt could ride it before I bought the bike off them) that I don't need or want. I'm sitting on a plane back from Hawaii at the moment but i can post pics tomorrow if you're interested.

EDit: poo poo, quoted wrong post. Fixed.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 11, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
If it will fit an 05 FXSTI, it's in good shape, and you'd want to send it my way absolutely.

PM me or halo.gray@gmail.com and we can work this out.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Do any goons know anything about shovelheads?

A guy I know won a 70's FX shovelhead in a raffle for $50 a year ago. It's all kitted out with apes, kick/elec start and a wide glide front. He somehow managed to bork something in the motor which he thinks is a bad piston and possible topend. He also said it needs new oil lines. He owns a newer fatboy and isn't mechanically inclined and is not 100% what the motor issues are.

He needs some money and was talking about letting it go for $1500. At that price what would I be looking at worst case for a motor rebuild? I'd be looking to do as much labor as possible myself but realize I would probably need some parts machined. Does that sound like a decent deal or will trying to get a shovel rebuilt cost more than the bike is worth?

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 15, 2013

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Pubic Lair posted:

Do any goons know anything about shovelheads?

A guy I know won a 70's FX shovelhead in a raffle for $50 a year ago. It's all kitted out with apes, kick/elec start and a wide glide front. He somehow managed to bork something in the motor which he thinks is a bad piston and possible topend. He also said it needs new oil lines. He owns a newer fatboy and isn't mechanically inclined and is not 100% what the motor issues are.

He needs some money and was talking about letting it go for $1500. At that price what would I be looking at worst case for a motor rebuild? I'd be looking to do as much labor as possible myself but realize I would probably need some parts machined. Does that sound like a decent deal or will trying to get a shovel rebuilt cost more than the bike is worth?

Even if you have to do a complete rebuild on the motor, it is STILL worth $1500 if the rest of the bike is sound! If you do the rebuild yourself, and have to replace a piston or even the jug as well, you are looking at a couple of hundred if you buy a used jug and new piston, a bit more for repop jug.

If you spend another $1500 on the bike, say you have to rebuild the entire motor, you would still come out ahead if the bike is in good shape. Clean and running Shovels are bringing more than new these days and even a so-so bike should fetch $3500 - $4k.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 16, 2013

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Halo_4am posted:

If it will fit an 05 FXSTI, it's in good shape, and you'd want to send it my way absolutely.

PM me or halo.gray@gmail.com and we can work this out.

Looks like it won't fit your bike. It's off my 2010 Crossbones and I think they changed the frame in '09. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere...

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

Even if you have to do a complete rebuild on the motor, it is STILL worth $1500 if the rest of the bike is sound! If you do the rebuild yourself, and have to replace a piston or even the jug as well, you are looking at a couple of hundred if you buy a used jug and new piston, a bit more for repop jug.

If you spend another $1500 on the bike, say you have to rebuild the entire motor, you would still come out ahead if the bike is in good shape. Clean and running Shovels are bringing more than new these days and even a so-so bike should fetch $3500 - $4k.

That was my feeling but Googling gave me numbers all over the place for a rebuild. The only other drawback is its a 4 speed but if I were to get it I think it would be and around town bike anyways.

Now I have to get the Guy to sell.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Pubic Lair posted:

That was my feeling but Googling gave me numbers all over the place for a rebuild. The only other drawback is its a 4 speed but if I were to get it I think it would be and around town bike anyways.

A buddy of mine picked up a pair of freshly honed jugs, NIB matching pistons and seals for an Iron Head, all for $300 at a bike swap last weekend (probably a project that never took off?). If you shop around and do the work yourself, you can save a shitload of money. Farm it out to a shop and you may get hosed unless you know someone.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pubic Lair posted:

If you dont want it depending on where you are I will go buy the drat thing.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you dont want it depending on where you are I will go buy the drat thing.

The deal is that he was offering it to some guy at the bar for 1500. I replied if he was serious I'd give him $1500 cash but I think he was thinking it would be a harder sell and once I showed interest he started saying he wanted $3500.

I left it at I've got $1500 cash if he decides to sell it for that but if I push on it he just thinks it's worth more so I'm going to have to wait this one out.

Also apparently it has a big bore kit and some other poo poo upgraded on the motor so unless I can go back to stock the parts may be a bit more expensive and harder to find used.

I'm sure if it ever actually gets sold I'll give it a shot but there are way too many questions for me to pay more than 1500.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pubic Lair posted:

The deal is that he was offering it to some guy at the bar for 1500. I replied if he was serious I'd give him $1500 cash but I think he was thinking it would be a harder sell and once I showed interest he started saying he wanted $3500.

I left it at I've got $1500 cash if he decides to sell it for that but if I push on it he just thinks it's worth more so I'm going to have to wait this one out.

Also apparently it has a big bore kit and some other poo poo upgraded on the motor so unless I can go back to stock the parts may be a bit more expensive and harder to find used.

I'm sure if it ever actually gets sold I'll give it a shot but there are way too many questions for me to pay more than 1500.

Haha. I hate that

:downs:"Man I would sell this for 1500 bucks."
:haw:"I got 1500, when do you want me to pick it up?"
:downs:"Oh well.. I really cant take less than 3500."
:reject:"Then why the gently caress did you say you would sell it for 1500?"

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I installed a set of V&H Short Shots on my Crossbones last night and they make me giggle like an idiot. I love the sound - it's so much throatier than the SE slipons that came with the bike.

edit: now with a picture!

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 2, 2013

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
My bike has started doing weird poo poo. When I get on the throttle from a stop in first gear, I'll accelerate, then the engine will hesitate, and then I'll get a giant burst of power. I noticed in a GoPro video that it almost sounded like it was starved, but I didn't feel any real issues until lately. It happens around a half a tank of gas, then goes away when I fill the tank.

It's a 2011 HD Nightster with about 3500 miles on it. I've had it for a year.

Any ideas? O2 sensor? poo poo in the fuel tank? Wrong octane gas?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

My dumb rear end told my co worker I would prospect for his stupid wanna be MC when I was poo poo faced drunk. Now they want me to wear stupid leather vest and do mandatory rides and go to church and do car washes and how I owe them $100 in dues.

What the gently caress is this poo poo guys?? And why did every single person in that stupid club blow up my phone when they saw me in the dealership looking to trade my harley for a Street triple or XR1200 telling me I can't buy non american. No wonder my other co worker stop riding with those idiot wanna be 1%ers.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 23, 2013

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Kaliber posted:

My dumb rear end told my co worker I would prospect for his stupid wanna be MC when I was poo poo faced drunk. Now they want me to wear stupid leather vest and do mandatory rides and go to church and do car washes and how I owe them $100 in dues.

What the gently caress is this poo poo guys?? And why did every single person in that stupid club blow up my phone when they saw me in the dealership looking to trade my harley for a Street triple or XR1200 telling me I can't buy non american. No wonder my other co worker stop riding with those idiot wanna be 1%ers.

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kaliber posted:

harleyownership.rtf

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Pretty sure it's been said before but back when motorcycle gangs were a real thing there were plenty of BSAs, Triumphs etc rolling in the mix. Also telling people to buy American when they look at an XR1200, heh

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pretty sure it's been said before but back when motorcycle gangs were a real thing there were plenty of BSAs, Triumphs etc rolling in the mix. Also telling people to buy American when they look at an XR1200, heh

While this is not the case as much anymore, it really depends on the MC. Some clubs only ride sportbikes, which is a strange sight seeing guys on sportbikes not wearing helmets but wearing leather vests.

As far as real clubs, they definitely do still exist. You just have to be in the right part of the country. The Bandidos are huge here in texas and especially in the San Antonio / Austin area.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Kaliber posted:

This is really funny. But seriously tell your friend to gently caress off and get his idiot "gang members" off your back and to stop calling you.

Braincloud posted:

I installed a set of V&H Short Shots on my Crossbones last night and they make me giggle like an idiot. I love the sound - it's so much throatier than the SE slipons that came with the bike.

edit: now with a picture!

Wait... does that softtail have a springer seat? And the factory does that? Jesus Christ Harley.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It also has a factory springer fork. Wrap your mind around that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

clutchpuck posted:

It also has a factory springer fork. Wrap your mind around that.

The springer front end doesnt bother me at all. But... you have a soft tail bike. Adding a spring seat just... doesnt make any sense. The spring seats on a rigid frame are basically acting as the shock for you while you ride. You already have that on a bike with rear suspension. Why add the spring seat? To bounce twice when you hit a bump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The springer front end doesnt bother me at all. But... you have a soft tail bike. Adding a spring seat just... doesnt make any sense. The spring seats on a rigid frame are basically acting as the shock for you while you ride. You already have that on a bike with rear suspension. Why add the spring seat? To bounce twice when you hit a bump?

But it looks like a bobber! There are at least 3 guys that hang out at my work that ride newer sportsters with spring seats on them. Honestly I hated the one that I had on my 750 (which was actually a rigid frame) because all it ever did was bounce me out of the seat.

• Locked thread