Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
No night racing even after Horizon? I've been playing Forza since the original for the Xbox and I'm sad I'm gonna have to skip an entry into the series. Looks like the sting of getting a PS4 and missing out on this won't be so bad though.

I loving hate Gran Turismo though :smith:

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Couldn't care any less about weather but come on, no nighttime racing?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Goddamnit McBeardo

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I've no idea what they're doing over at Turn 10. It seems all Dan is talking up about the game in interviews is how detailed the paint on the cars is now, when he's not busy parroting Microsoft's cloud marketing chatter, anyways.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah, I've no idea what they're doing over at Turn 10. It seems all Dan is talking up about the game in interviews is how detailed the paint on the cars is now, when he's not busy parroting Microsoft's cloud marketing chatter, anyways.

Is this it Muffins? Will we both be Gran Turismo fans once again?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Eh, my eye's on Project CARS to be honest :shobon:

I think that Need For Speed Rivals looks like a really fun arcade racer, too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I just...why? They went and said that they couldn't do night and weather because of hardware limitations, now those aren't a factor and they STILL aren't giving us either? I mean I didn't expect both of them, but I expected one or the other, mostly night due to Horizon. But no, instead they focus on career mode? Really? I mean the drivatar poo poo seems cool and all I guess, but the draw of Forza is the online multiplayer.

Guess I should fire up GT5 to get used to Gran Turismo again...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MUFFlNS posted:

Eh, my eye's on Project CARS to be honest :shobon:

I think that Need For Speed Rivals looks like a really fun arcade racer, too.

Need for Speed Rivals looked so pretty.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

You'd think they could just go ask playground games ... "Hey there! That night stuff ... how'd you manage that on this OLDER hardware? OK. Thanks!"

I really don't get how they can't manage it on individually loaded tracks as compared to a giant streaming open world?!?! All i can think is a time/$$$ thing for a shitload of individual modeled cars???

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

There's literally no reason to not have night time in Forza 5. I want to believe that that was the reason Horizon was developed, to test out a day/night transition.

I'm worried about the offline portion if its using cloud for opponents. What if you have no connection? What about tracks? Specific features?

They have a die-hard following that want to hear about game specifics like the pitting, damage, etc. I don't give a poo poo about liveries or the cloud.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

pvax posted:

You'd think they could just go ask playground games ... "Hey there! That night stuff ... how'd you manage that on this OLDER hardware? OK. Thanks!"

I really don't get how they can't manage it on individually loaded tracks as compared to a giant streaming open world?!?! All i can think is a time/$$$ thing for a shitload of individual modeled cars???

60 fps is Forza Motorsport's #1 priority, I guess they couldn't get that locked down, so it got left out. Horizon is only 30 fps.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I give a poo poo about liveries :smith:

Seriously though, open wheel cars are rad and all, but no weather and no night racing is a bit of a disappointment. Being able to autovista every car should be fun? For like an hour?

I don't know, maybe this is their new engine and new hardware release, and the next one will be where the add all the cool poo poo, since they won't have to worry about modelling a thousand new cars and tracks in Xbone def or whatever. I mean, Saints Row 3 was missing a ton of stuff that was in 2 because they had to start over with a whole new engine etc, and it was still good. :ohdear:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I dunno if anybody else spotted it, but I almost pissed myself laughing during the reveal show when the guy announced "they drive like people!" and a car in front of him immediately peels out and t-bones the car next to it. Congratulations T10, you've basically imposed public lobbies on everybody. At least GT's AI is relatively sane and predictable. :negative:

Here it is in motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzRyCAIu0ws&t=3m6s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ANAmal.net posted:

I give a poo poo about liveries :smith:

Don't worry, this is actually a gigantic deal to me too. I know a lot of people who don't play Forza, and they wonder what the big deal is. You have to have access to the feature to understand. It's one of the best things about Forza.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

pvax posted:

The funny thing is that Horizon uses the Forza Motorsport engine, so thanks to Playground Games it already has night racing integrated. Obviously on the 360 they had to drop the framerate down to 30fps to accommodate for features such as that combined with an open world, but on hardware that's significantly more powerful? I think the answer is more than likely laziness.

Turn 10 probably stopped and thought about how they'd have to integrate working headlights for all cars (movable on the cars that need it, along with high/low beams) and then integrate the appropriate lighting for the various tracks at night (Nordschliefe would have none, whereas a track like Prague would have streetlights etc.) and most likely thought, "gently caress that, let's just tweak the menu system and career mode again and call it a day".

Harsh? Maybe, but Forza 4 was already baby steps and the excuse of old hardware isn't valid any more.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X4FCyI1SlM

Here's GT6's trailer which goes more into showing that there's a new physics engine, better suspension and tire physics and all that.

I'll probably get an Xbone for when Forza 6 comes out or something. It all hinges on the Fanatec issue.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Don't worry, this is actually a gigantic deal to me too. I know a lot of people who don't play Forza, and they wonder what the big deal is. You have to have access to the feature to understand. It's one of the best things about Forza.

I like liveries too but we know its going to be in the game and its going to be a cool feature to have the ability to do whatever in terms of painting your car. However after all the iterations of the livery editor, it's not something that can kill gameplay or affect like physics or race features.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Turn 10 needs to get M$ out of the dev room and get back to doing the things like they did in Forza 2. odd tracks and cars for us to throw our money at.

That's the thing I don't understand, the numbers and profits made can't be as high as they were in 2, why would you step away from a model that works?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went to gamestop and preordered an xbone with the Forza 5 combo. It not being canceled is entirely based on my wheel working with it. If I get wind that Fanatec doesn't work with xbone, that poo poo is canceled. GT6 is starting to look more and more like a game I'd want to get. If they can make the game sound as good and drive as well as Forza, I'm onboard.

I don't understand the thought process of Turn 10 right now. Let's make the paint so detailed it looks like real paint. Night racing? What's that? Well, we couldn't get night racing to work with this new paint thing we have so, I guess we can't do that. Ugh, I'm really tempted to just cancel it right now. They are so focused on Microsoft's bullshit that they aren't trying to make a good game.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

burtonos posted:

Turn 10 needs to get M$ out of the dev room and get back to doing the things like they did in Forza 2. odd tracks and cars for us to throw our money at.

That's the thing I don't understand, the numbers and profits made can't be as high as they were in 2, why would you step away from a model that works?
I too liked it when Turn 10 would kind of show up, say "here's what we're working on." rather than the buzzwords that have been drilled into them by Microsoft. I skip through these Turn 10 interviews because it's 90% bullshit fluff.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

GT6 is starting to look more and more like a game I'd want to get. If they can make the game sound as good and drive as well as Forza, I'm onboard.

There's no doubt that the physics will be good, but if you're expecting good engine sounds you're going to be disappointed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I went to gamestop and preordered an xbone with the Forza 5 combo. It not being canceled is entirely based on my wheel working with it. If I get wind that Fanatec doesn't work with xbone, that poo poo is canceled.

It sounds almost for sure confirmed that your wheel will not work with it because Microsoft is yet again using a new form of USB.

MUFFlNS posted:

There's no doubt that the physics will be good, but if you're expecting good engine sounds you're going to be disappointed.

Yeah, what i've heard so far sounds exactly the same as GT5. The engine sounds haven't been improved, which means the new trailer is way beyond misleading.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Uh, before you decide you're just going to jump to GT6, go buy GT5 and play it awhile. Just to see what you can expect (it's not pretty).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Don't forget that 80% of the game still looks like rear end. But you can drive your cockpitless rear end cars at night in the rain so

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They just announced "new" everything for GT6. So far Forza 5 is confirmed to have new paint and open wheel cars. And something I'm guessing will be called "driveatard" if it doesn't work out to be as good as they claim.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Faceless Clock posted:

Uh, before you decide you're just going to jump to GT6, go buy GT5 and play it awhile. Just to see what you can expect (it's not pretty).

Yeah, GT5 is poo poo. I'll get GT6 only after it comes out and I hear really good impressions.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

The thing I'm worried about with GT6 is whether it is fun or not. Because GT5 was not fun. Every Forza game I've played has been fun. No night/weather doesn't bother me all that much. Mainly it's price point and if I even have the time to enjoy it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Don't forget that 80% of the game still looks like rear end. But you can drive your cockpitless rear end cars at night in the rain so
Keep in mind that a fair few of the cars in FM4 are FM1 models slightly improved. Stuff like the 22B and R32 Skyline look very dated.

The in car view in FM5 looks good, much more lively than FM4's with better animation.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, the reflections on the inside of the front screen looked pretty amazing. Might be distracting as hell in practice, but gave a great deal of additional immersion without going over the top like the Shift series did.

Here's some off-screen 60fps gameplay from the show floor.
http://www.gamersyde.com/download_forza_motorsport_5_e3_showfloor_gameplay-30222_en.html

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Faceless Clock posted:

GT5 had good driving and a better track selection than Forza 4. It just had poo poo everything else.

If they give us a UI that isn't atrocious and make cars less annoying to get, it'll be great. The sound will be kind of a bummer, but on the other hand, Spa!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

The funny thing is that Horizon uses the Forza Motorsport engine, so thanks to Playground Games it already has night racing integrated. Obviously on the 360 they had to drop the framerate down to 30fps to accommodate for features such as that combined with an open world, but on hardware that's significantly more powerful? I think the answer is more than likely laziness.

Turn 10 probably stopped and thought about how they'd have to integrate working headlights for all cars (movable on the cars that need it, along with high/low beams) and then integrate the appropriate lighting for the various tracks at night (Nordschliefe would have none, whereas a track like Prague would have streetlights etc.) and most likely thought, "gently caress that, let's just tweak the menu system and career mode again and call it a day".

Harsh? Maybe, but Forza 4 was already baby steps and the excuse of old hardware isn't valid any more.

Not just harsh, but entirely cynical.
Turn 10's reputation is for turning out product on schedule. They've said before they meet deadlines because they cut what they can't perfect by the deadline. I'd chalk lack of nighttime racing or anything else up to that before I'd call Turn 10 LAZY. I'd say their support of FM3 and 4 pretty much torpedoes any accusations of laziness, even with some of the persistent problems.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Back to Forza 4 for a second, up to date standings for the current Rivals events. Make sure to post your best time by Friday! New pair of challenges will be revealed on Saturday.

http://forzagoons.tumblr.com for anyone who hasn't been keeping up with this thread and might want to take a crack at posting a time.

code:
Alps

[AUGR] XPrettyPandaX   1:35.535  smart fortwo
[AUGR] whatcubed3      1:36.643  smart fortwo
[AUGR] aardmania       1:39.653  Ford Pinto
[SAEG] Pissboy Spastic 1:39.881  Ford Pinto
       Dr Edmund Honda 1:40.267  Ford Ka
[AUGR] Cubivore        1:40.604  Peugeot 107
[GTCC] FauxPas104      1:40.453  VW Rabbit GTi
[LLJK] rgoer           1:41.282  Ford Ka
[AUGR] DeltaVictor12   1:41.369  Ford Ka
[CWSO] IridiumRE       1:41.774  VW Rabbit GTi
[AUGR] Ether Frenzy    1:41.827  MG MGB
[AUGR] speedt3k        1:42.286  VW Rabbit GTi
[GTCC] AndrewCoja      1:42.469  Ford Pinto
[PA]   Basticular      1:42.962  VW Rabbit GTi
[SAEG] AzMiLion        1:44.863  Kia cee'd
[GTCC] Swedespeed      2:21.072  Ford Ka

Camino

[AUGR] XPrettyPandaX   2:47.090  Alfa 33 Stradale
[SAEG] Lord M84        2:47.249  Alfa 33 Stradale
[LLJK] rgoer           2:48.773  Alfa 33 Stradale
[AUGR] Ether Frenzy    2:51.954  Ferrari 360CS
[AUGR] whatcubed3      2:53.320  Ferrari F355C
[PA]   Basticular      2:55.173  Maserati Quattro
[AUGR] Cubivore        2:56.022  Ferrari 360CS
[AUGR] speedt3k        3:00.082  Lamborghini Countach LP5000
[SAEG] Pissboy Spastic 3:05.809  Pantera
[GTCC] Swedespeed      3:09.162  Pantera
[CWSO] IridiumRE       3:09.736  Ferrari F430
[GTCC] FauxPas104      2:52.122* DeTomaso Pantera

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 12, 2013

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh - I thought this one ended on Sunday. Which is why I submitted my time on Monday :downs:

Might have another crack at that F car, I only had time for 10 laps on my first go and slow cars are my favorite cars. Some drat quick times here, nice work guys.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Back to Forza 4 for a second, up to date standings for the current Rivals events. Make sure to post your best time by Friday! New pair of challenges will be revealed on Saturday.

http://forzagoons.tumblr.com for anyone who hasn't been keeping up with this thread and might want to take a crack at posting a time.

code:
Alps

[AUGR] XPrettyPandaX   1:35.535  smart fortwo
[AUGR] whatcubed3      1:36.643  smart fortwo
[AUGR] aardmania       1:39.653  Ford Pinto
[SAEG] Pissboy Spastic 1:39.881  Ford Pinto
       Dr Edmund Honda 1:40.267  Ford Ka
[AUGR] Cubivore        1:40.604  Peugeot 107
[GTCC] FauxPas104      1:40.453  VW Rabbit GTi
[LLJK] rgoer           1:41.282  Ford Ka
[AUGR] DeltaVictor12   1:41.369  Ford Ka
[CWSO] IridiumRE       1:41.774  VW Rabbit GTi
[AUGR] Ether Frenzy    1:41.827  MG MGB
[AUGR] speedt3k        1:42.286  VW Rabbit GTi
[GTCC] AndrewCoja      1:42.469  Ford Pinto
[PA]   Basticular      1:42.962  VW Rabbit GTi
[SAEG] AzMiLion        1:44.863  Kia cee'd

Camino

[AUGR] XPrettyPandaX   2:47.090  Alfa 33 Stradale
[SAEG] Lord M84        2:47.249  Alfa 33 Stradale
[LLJK] rgoer           2:48.773  Alfa 33 Stradale
[AUGR] Ether Frenzy    2:51.954  Ferrari 360CS
[AUGR] whatcubed3      2:53.320  Ferrari F355C
[PA]   Basticular      2:55.173  Maserati Quattro
[AUGR] Cubivore        2:56.022  Ferrari 360CS
[AUGR] speedt3k        3:00.082  Lamborghini Countach LP5000
[SAEG] Pissboy Spastic 3:05.809  Pantera
[CWSO] IridiumRE       3:09.736  Ferrari F430
[GTCC] FauxPas104      2:52.122* DeTomaso Pantera

wait, did you get my post about my times, or did I not do it official like?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New article up about Forza 5; http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4420778/forza-motorsport-5-preview-e3-2013-drivatar-cloud

Everything about it makes it sound like the game will require an internet connection at all times in order to play it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

New article up about Forza 5; http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4420778/forza-motorsport-5-preview-e3-2013-drivatar-cloud

Everything about it makes it sound like the game will require an internet connection at all times in order to play it.

I was kinda thinking the same thing when they started talking about THE CLOUD powering the game. It's disheartening that this game seems really disappointing so far; even though I'm going Sony this next gen, I still wanted Forza 5 to be a huge step up from 4. But so far it's just been bad news followed by bad news, just like everything else Xbox One related. Oh well.

e: redundancy is redundant

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 12, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One thing I do like is that the A.I. will play for you while you are offline, even with your console turned off. I wish we had that feature in Forza 4, so we can make money while we aren't playing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Here are my predictions:

--Storefront is gone, liveries and tunes are $.99 (Good Guy Microsoft, moving to real money.) Even if offline, the creator gets 5000 forzabucks for every item sold!

--Car list is cut in half, "to accommodate Forzavista". But there's new DLC every week!

--loving Spa and loving Bathurst are in. No one uses them until Forza 8 because "they're too long*"
(*actual complaint about the Nordschleife in all racing games for the last 15 years before Top Gear made everyone realize what they were missing)

--Open wheel cars force a complete revisiting of the suspension and modelling of all cars for realism. Night is cut because "Streetlights are too hard" (Lazy Turn 10)

--Everyone drops L_Harrison from their friends list because his loving Drivatar won't stop owning you

--Fanatec works after 6 months of Fanatec doing firmware testing after getting a Xbox One at launch and not a minute earlier

--Game is awesome even with these limitations and frustrations and god drat you Microsoft for this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Here are my predictions:

--Storefront is gone, liveries and tunes are $.99 (Good Guy Microsoft, moving to real money.) Even if offline, the creator gets 5000 forzabucks for every item sold!

This much I can at least say is incorrect because Dan touched on it a little bit; every time someone goes out onto the track with your livery, you get money. Even if their drivatard uses it, you get money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Here are my predictions:

I can't see this happening. That would be insanely dumb.

Ether Frenzy posted:

--loving Spa and loving Bathurst are in. No one uses them until Forza 8 because "they're too long*"
(*actual complaint about the Nordschleife in all racing games for the last 15 years before Top Gear made everyone realize what they were missing)

I think if either of those were in, they'd have chosen that track for their big reveal at e3. Not some made-up track in a city that probably half of the Xbox userbase have never heard of.

• Locked thread