Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dawnsicle
Jan 2, 2011

systran posted:

I live in Florida and I feel like the cost is way lower here. I called around to several breeders and the only ones that broke the $1,000 mark were for "CHAMPIONSHIP DOGS" or whatever the gently caress she called them. She refused to leave the tail on those etc. Most breeders are called were like $500-$750.

In case anyone is curious I got from here: http://www.thecorgilady.com/ (It might have been $550 I can't remember the exact number).

This is where I bought my corgi too!!! The breeder was super nice and my little corgester is amazing. She has small health issues (Allergic to chicken and severe face itchiness but nothing huge) I've had 4 other people go to her as well and everyone else's corgis seem pristine. I think she's pretty responsible? She does retire dogs after a certain amount of litters, but I know zero about breeding :)

Thread content- Here is Leia as a tiny floppy eared pup. I miss these days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Dawnsicle posted:

This is where I bought my corgi too!!! The breeder was super nice and my little corgester is amazing. She has small health issues (Allergic to chicken and severe face itchiness but nothing huge) I've had 4 other people go to her as well and everyone else's corgis seem pristine. I think she's pretty responsible? She does retire dogs after a certain amount of litters, but I know zero about breeding :)

I need to know in advance: do you really want me to answer that question? Because I will, and I promise you won't like the answer. In deference to the hugbox rule, I'm asking first, but if you genuinely want to learn something and be informed so you can make better choices in the future, I can let you know what's up.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin came from Brookehaven Corgis and cost $900, I believe. This seemed to be pretty standard, or a bit under what we were expecting to pay for a purebred Pem. The difference between "The Corgi Lady" and Brookehaven is pretty clear if you read Brookehaven's methodology on their "puppies!" page. That should clarify what the different mindset is between BYB-ing (to sell puppies!) and responsible breeding.

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 22, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Thanks for the information guys. I hope my dog which I got from thecorgilady lives to be nice and healthy, but next time I will look out more in the future when choosing a breeder.

It seems especially important because the $400 I saved on the initial purchase means more or less nothing compared to the lifetime cost of having a dog.

One thing that is kind of odd to me with all of this is how often people get dogs from rescues or shelters and know NOTHING about where the dogs came from, often not even knowing what type of mix it is. No one ever seems to say this is a bad thing, but for some reason a breeder that isn't as responsible is viewed as a really terrible thing.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

systran posted:

Thanks for the information guys. I hope my dog which I got from thecorgilady lives to be nice and healthy, but next time I will look out more in the future when choosing a breeder.

It seems especially important because the $400 I saved on the initial purchase means more or less nothing compared to the lifetime cost of having a dog.

One thing that is kind of odd to me with all of this is how often people get dogs from rescues or shelters and know NOTHING about where the dogs came from, often not even knowing what type of mix it is. No one ever seems to say this is a bad thing, but for some reason a breeder that isn't as responsible is viewed as a really terrible thing.

Well rescuers don't create MORE badly-bred animals, they just take care of the ones that already exist that the owner got tired of. There's nothing wrong with taking care of existing creatures, but knowingly making more (and charging for them) when you're not even willing to do the minimum in terms of making sure they're healthy and well-bred is a dick move.

EDIT: It's not about "not knowing about the dog's history/genes/whatever." It's about the people who think that the rules of supply and demand ought to apply to living, breathing creatures with emotional lives and opinions. Shelters don't operate to create more unwanted puppies. BYBs by nature are.

ButWhatIf fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 22, 2013

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
Excuse my ignorance because I do not know the costs of breeding and getting certificates on health and other exams. What if the breeder is having litter after litter to make money, but they are also certifying all their litters? Where does that fit into the spectrum?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

phootnote posted:

Excuse my ignorance because I do not know the costs of breeding and getting certificates on health and other exams. What if the breeder is having litter after litter to make money, but they are also certifying all their litters? Where does that fit into the spectrum?

The margins really aren't sufficient for it to work unless there's extremely high volume. If you're trying to operate for a profit dropping the health and conformation pieces of the enterprise are so much more lucrative that there are effectively no puppy mills that operate that way.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Reading this discussion I somewhat realize how lucky I was with purchasing Guinness.
I got him from a Polish breeder. (I live in Latvia, 450 miles from them) basically was desperate and searched throughout European countries for a Corgi breeder, since locally we only had one at the time and being monopoly, their prices were full retard.
The reason I were lucky I guess is because I could really never actually know who the people selling these dogs were before taking a long trip there at which point going back empty handed would be quite dumb.

The lady seemed extremely interested into our family and home we have. Basically if the life for the dog would be on par of what they can provide for him. That kinda made me somewhat confident she cares about all of her dogs.

Prices in Europe for both, Cardis and Pems are ranging from 800 dollars to all the way up to 2000. (high end mostly asked from people in Wales or Ireland)
The Polish lady asked for 900 for all of their dogs. But since Guinness had a defect with his jaw, that she was claiming was not life threatening (turned out to be true), but was not acceptable for shiw dogs, she would give him away for half the price - $450.
Since then she has visited Guinness two times already to see how he is doing. :) All of her dogs are mostly living in Poland, but Guinness supposedly is her favorite from that year's pups, so she's very concerned.
Also she always comes with 3-5 Corgis with her, so I love it. Can't get enough of Cardis and Pems running around happily. :)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
I would gladly rescue or shelter-adopt a corgi or any other breed (or mix) of dog with questionable parentage and no pedigree. There will always be a surplus of lovely dogs in need of a loving home at shelters and rescues and it is true that many of these dogs come from BYBers or people who "oopsed" a litter of puppies by failing to spay or neuter their pet. But buying an irresponsibly bred dog from a breeder is giving the seal of approval (voting with your money, so to speak) that these practices continue. It's the same as putting careful thought into other major purchases, supporting political campaigns, or choosing the type of food you buy. It's all about awareness, and the truth is that most people don't know any better, just as they prefer not to think about where their meat comes from or who makes the tennis shoes they wear.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My sister bought a corgi from the corgi lady in FL in 2008 and it has horrible feet and hip problems and allergies. It cost me 50 bux to pay the adoption fee for Ace from the corgiaid foster and he's dumb as bricks sometimes but otherwise not broken.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I always got the impression that corgis were a more uncommon breed, despite the internet fame. How often do they turn up in shelters? My GF are moving back in together this summer and she's already mentioned the idea of getting a second dog. I've put my foot down that we're adopting our next dog, but maybe we'll find another corgi and just adopt that :haw:

I believe Butters was $800 from a woman who only bred Pembrokes a few times a year (and, for whatever reason, she also bred Boxers on the side) and so far his only medical issue was having an undescended testicle that would have become a cancer risk if left intact, but we were going to neuter him anyway so whatever. Fun fact, he was almost a Samoyed but I managed to talk my GF out of it when I realized we might have been dealing with a BYB (they had a pretty hefty number of dogs, and a shanty town to house them). And also having a dog that size in a one-bedroom apartment on a grad student's stipend.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 24, 2013

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I got Igby from the Houston SPCA, but I've never seen another one since. They might start to become more common as people buy them because they're cute, but aren't ready for their personality.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
This popped up on my Facebook feed.

Where is the muscle at? I can't see it through the fat. :confused:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I said the same thing when I saw that picture. Wow, what a manatee.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Igby went by the Boneyard with me earlier today and got a complimentary cleaning.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

So my new corgi puppy kinda sleeps like a doofus.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Black Dynamite posted:

So my new corgi puppy kinda sleeps like a doofus.
Nah, he's sleeping like a Corgi. They all do that.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
Seattle area people! The corgi meetup group is going to Whidby Island on the 9th to take advantage of the noontime low tide. The husband and I are planning on showing up with our two and we would love to see some of you there. We could always carpool, even if just from this side of the ferry terminal.

Link to more information.

This was at I think Edmonds. Pip is much larger now and Whidby has much better tide pools.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

lu lu lu posted:

Seattle area people! The corgi meetup group is going to Whidby Island on the 9th to take advantage of the noontime low tide. The husband and I are planning on showing up with our two and we would love to see some of you there. We could always carpool, even if just from this side of the ferry terminal.

Link to more information.

This was at I think Edmonds. Pip is much larger now and Whidby has much better tide pools.

I think Neigé and I will try to be there too, since it looks like the Point Defiance one has fallen through so far.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This may be a long shot, but does anyone know any good breeders in the Washington/Oregon/Idaho/Utah/Nevada area? My wife and I are looking into getting a corgi puppy sometime this year. We live in the Boise, Idaho area but are fine driving about 8 hours in any direction to pick it up.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Mordiceius posted:

This may be a long shot, but does anyone know any good breeders in the Washington/Oregon/Idaho/Utah/Nevada area? My wife and I are looking into getting a corgi puppy sometime this year. We live in the Boise, Idaho area but are fine driving about 8 hours in any direction to pick it up.

Are you looking for a Cardigan or a Pembroke? This is a pretty big thing to need to know. As far as breeders, get on the PWCCA and CWCCA sites and check for breeders in the Cascade clubs. They are required to operate under a decent standard of ethics.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ButWhatIf posted:

Are you looking for a Cardigan or a Pembroke? This is a pretty big thing to need to know. As far as breeders, get on the PWCCA and CWCCA sites and check for breeders in the Cascade clubs. They are required to operate under a decent standard of ethics.

Ah. We're looking for a Pembroke. I'll check out the Cascade clubs.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. We're looking for a Pembroke. I'll check out the Cascade clubs.

Brookehaven Corgis on Whidbey Island in WA state. Corwin's breeder. :)

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
It's grooming day, so Tegan put on her best Donald Trump impersonation.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Millions posted:

It's grooming day, so Tegan put on her best Donald Trump impersonation.

From a few pages ago, and it's a meme but:

americong
May 29, 2013

I regret that I only have a friend's corgi to submit to the collection of photos :(

such a cutie though :3:

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Waiting on test results to determine whether my guy Bailey has degenerative myelopathy. If DM test comes back negative, it's looking like he's got two compressed vertebrae putting pressure on the spinal nerves that control his rear left leg. Either part or the whole leg is paralyzed :( Very scary stuff, he just seemed a little stiff/sore, which is to be expected in a 9 year old dog. When I heard toenails dragging on the ground, I got scared and took him to a PT vet. She said we're catching it somewhat early thankfully, most people wouldn't have noticed anything wrong yet. She mentioned next steps if compressed spine would be a consult with a neurologist vet, an MRI to determine how bad the problem is, and then possibly surgery to relieve the compression.

This really sucks and is all kinds of sad. He's from a good breeder, his parents had the genetic tests done, I've been pretty good about maintaining his weight, and yet here we are. I'm prepared to get him a little wheelchair and possibly the surgery, but for the time being he's pulled from all the activities he loves most (herding, playing with other dogs, laser play.) I'm doing massage/stretches/exercise with him daily, and he's super happy to be clicker training new stuff so I guess there's that. Test results back in a couple of weeks. Either outcome is not great, but at least if DM is negative we have treatment options to pursue for him.

Ahh corgis, why must you be the best dogs with such terrible health troubles?!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Has their been any attempts to improve the health of the breeds? I imagine that's what the reputable breeders are trying to do but it seems that these cute orange balls of fur are just massive medical bills waiting to happen.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Bit of a random question. Since this winter I've been taking my two year old male Pembroke Riley for 2-3 mile walks several times a week. He's a good solid little guy, about 27 lbs with no weight issues.

However, now that it's gotten into the 90's in Texas, I'm concerned about the effect of the heat on him. I bring water with me, but he shows little interest and is primarily concerned with flopping down on nice wet grass under shade. When we do get back to the house, he basically collapses panting for 30-45 minutes, but after this he is back to his usual self.

Should I start scaling our walks back with the heat? We'll spend several hours at the dog park without issue, but he does spend most of that time in and out of the pond. Are those doggy cooling vests worth a drat?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I don't know about the cooling vests but Panda does some similar things and we're in TX. She doesn't like going outside for short walks because of how hot it is but if we're at the dog park or my parents house, she'll run herself ragged. Of course, she usually has water to get into to cool off but she's definitely not a fan of our morning walk. Lately, it's been hot and humid as hell by 7:30am.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Epiphyte posted:

Bit of a random question. Since this winter I've been taking my two year old male Pembroke Riley for 2-3 mile walks several times a week. He's a good solid little guy, about 27 lbs with no weight issues.

However, now that it's gotten into the 90's in Texas, I'm concerned about the effect of the heat on him. I bring water with me, but he shows little interest and is primarily concerned with flopping down on nice wet grass under shade. When we do get back to the house, he basically collapses panting for 30-45 minutes, but after this he is back to his usual self.

Should I start scaling our walks back with the heat? We'll spend several hours at the dog park without issue, but he does spend most of that time in and out of the pond. Are those doggy cooling vests worth a drat?

They make cooling handkerchiefs, just goes around their necks and cools them. I've used them before and they're really helpful. I can't find the exact one I have, but this is the idea - http://tinyurl.com/p7zah5e

Be very careful if you are walking on pavement in that kind of heat - the heat can and will burn and blister his paw pads. I'd be walking him in either the cool of the morning or at night when things are starting to cool off. Heatstroke isn't really anything to mess around with.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Great summer treats are ice cubes made outta chicken stock. I always give them to the dogs after they've been out in the heat.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I Might Be Adam posted:

I don't know about the cooling vests but Panda does some similar things and we're in TX. She doesn't like going outside for short walks because of how hot it is but if we're at the dog park or my parents house, she'll run herself ragged. Of course, she usually has water to get into to cool off but she's definitely not a fan of our morning walk. Lately, it's been hot and humid as hell by 7:30am.

Where are you walking Panda? I take Igby from Hazard to Vermont along Castle Court and then up to St Thomas. Lots of trees. Additionally, the Rice track is nice because it's three miles and almost entirely shaded with very little concrete. He's been doing pretty well and he gets quite hot in the summer with the black coat.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I usually just take her from our place on Portsmouth in the morning down to Shepherd and then over to Norfolk and back around to Hazard. Starting next week, the wife and I are going to start waking up earlier to beat the heat and take her for a longer walk in the mornings. My wife works on the St. Thomas campus so I'm not sure why we haven't thought to walk her in that area. Would make since what with all the trees and shade.

PM me and maybe we can set up a time to meet at the Menil or something. It sounds like we live within a stone's throw from each other.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Bailey has DM. I'll get him a wheelchair and let him love life for as long as he is willing, but today I'm heartbroken :(

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Miss Indy posted:

Bailey has DM. I'll get him a wheelchair and let him love life for as long as he is willing, but today I'm heartbroken :(

Oh, Miss Indy, I'm so sorry. That is heartbreaking news. :smith:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

So sorry to hear that. Hope your pup adjusts and you guys make the most of it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Miss Indy posted:

Oh no, how sure are they about that??

edit: You saw a PT? I'm going to recommend that you go to a neurologist.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh no, how sure are they about that??

edit: You saw a PT? I'm going to recommend that you go to a neurologist.

Yeah the PT referred me to a neurologist, his genetic test came back as DM "Affected", which means that he is at risk for developing the disease. However, if it was DM it shouldn't be responding to the Metacam I've been giving him. The Metacam isn't helping completely, but it's knocking down a lot of the side to side wobbling, and it also seems it's helping him to be a little more active. My impression thinking it through with a clear head today is that it sounds like she was reaching the conclusion of DM in conjunction with the paralysis we are already seeing. I have a voicemail in for an appointment with one of the two neurologist vets in our area. Even if it is DM, I need to know what neuro signs to be looking out for as this progresses so that I can be modifying what I'm doing for him.

I don't want my hopes to get too high, but I'm hearing from the corgi community that 9 is very young for him to already be developing it, and that his lines are not known for early onset DM. Same community, plus what I've seen in research papers online is that 12 is more of a typical age for these dogs to show the DM. His mother is still alive and healthy, his sire died at 14.5 yo. I'm hearing also that I need to bring up possibly doing a course of steroids, +Metacam, +PT/exercises I'm already doing, +crate rest to see if it helps any in the event that it's a back injury.

I just really hope her dx of DM is premature, this sucks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Miss Indy posted:

My impression thinking it through with a clear head today is that it sounds like she was reaching the conclusion of DM in conjunction with the paralysis we are already seeing. I have a voicemail in for an appointment with one of the two neurologist vets in our area. Even if it is DM, I need to know what neuro signs to be looking out for as this progresses so that I can be modifying what I'm doing for him.

I agree with this. I actually wrote up a post on DM and the DM test in my genetics thread here. And a little more detail on interpretation of the test in in this post.

quote:

I'm hearing also that I need to bring up possibly doing a course of steroids, +Metacam, +PT/exercises I'm already doing, +crate rest to see if it helps any in the event that it's a back injury.

I also agree with this, except would emphasize the strict crate rest over all else. (although the steroids and NSAIDs are unnecessary for the most part)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 14, 2013

• Locked thread