Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Are people really complaining that it doesn't look like a Final Fantasy game? We've known that it was going to be an action rpg for like 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I don't know how you can look at the hairstyles/outfits of these characters and think they're shying away from their established aesthetic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only concern I have is how party members will be handled. As long as they're customizable and controllable, hopefully more than Donald and Goofy, I'll be fine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Great Lakes Log posted:

Also I don't know how you can look at the hairstyles/outfits of these characters and think they're shying away from their established aesthetic.

Hey most of the characters are wearing things relatively close to actual clothes. Kid Noctis was wearing a plain old zip up jumper.

Compare that poo poo to...well anyone's outfit in FFX/XII/XIII

ImpAtom posted:

The only concern I have is how party members will be handled. As long as they're customizable and controllable, hopefully more than Donald and Goofy, I'll be fine.

There's one shot in the second gameplay trailer where the camera is following Blonde Gunman. I'm thinking everyone might be playable.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Winks posted:

Not completely.

At least not yet.

I actively wondered if this "watermark" or whatever was mistakenly left in this trailer.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Are people really complaining that it doesn't look like a Final Fantasy game? We've known that it was going to be an action rpg for like 7 years.

I don't even know what a "Final Fantasy game" is supposed to look like to people anymore. 10, 12, and 13 all had completely different and distinct combat systems that respectively were totally turn-based, MMO-like, and a modified ATB. I think it's a bizarre complaint until they toss out hit points entirely or transition to third-person shooting or something.

Baku fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 12, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's one shot in the second gameplay trailer where the camera is following Blonde Gunman. I'm thinking everyone might be playable.

If anyone want proof, it's here, about 3:04 in the new trailer. The HUD on the left didn't change at all on his turn, so it might not actually be him. Or he actually has multiple swords as well.

I just noticed that on the part where Noctis cast a fire spell at the monster, there are multiple swords stuck to the monster's back. It disappears when the spell is cast, so maybe that's why the whole thing explodes. That is certainly a unique mechanic.

What do you guys think of the Final Fantasy XIV trailer? I never played an MMORPG before and don't know what to think.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

toanoradian posted:

What do you guys think of the Final Fantasy XIV trailer? I never played an MMORPG before and don't know what to think.

It'll still be Final Fantasy XIV, which is not a good sign. It's a cargo cult mentality game if there ever was one.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He was certainly playable in the earlier builds of the game, as seen in the 2011 trailer here, and in a couple other spots in that trailer. Definitely following blondy with a targeting reticle.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

FFXIV has been turned from a game that was embarassed to be a FF, in that it had literally nothing to do with FF mythos, into a game that is a wet sloppy kiss of nostalgia for FF fans. The gameplay has also change from... Whatever it was to be as to WoW as FFXI was to EQ.

Personally, I do think still calling it FFXIV is a marketing mistake, but it is nothing like 1.0.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
It may even be on the wiki, but you can definitely go between characters in the party. Up to three in a party, with Noct being the only constant. Noct can change weapons/specialize in whatever. Party members come with their own specific weapon type. Magic casts different from each character.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

toanoradian posted:

If anyone want proof, it's here, about 3:04 in the new trailer. The HUD on the left didn't change at all on his turn, so it might not actually be him. Or he actually has multiple swords as well.

I just noticed that on the part where Noctis cast a fire spell at the monster, there are multiple swords stuck to the monster's back. It disappears when the spell is cast, so maybe that's why the whole thing explodes. That is certainly a unique mechanic.

I have a negative view in general towards FF XIV, but may be willing to give it a chance if it gets enough good reviews. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means and I've only ever played WoW before for like a year before I got bored and that's literally it as far as my MMO experience goes. I wonder if maybe this would be a good place to start when I purchased a PS4, but am not sure.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I don't even know what a "Final Fantasy game" is supposed to look like to people anymore. 10, 12, and 13 all had completely different and distinct combat systems that respectively were totally turn-based, MMO-like, and a modified ATB. I think it's a bizarre complaint until they toss out hit points entirely or transition to third-person shooting or something.

Ahem, FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus. :colbert:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

This actually looks really good. Definitely going to check it out. Killing an iron giant with the sword is the best thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eddain posted:

Ahem, FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus. :colbert:

That never happened.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just saw the battle trailer and oh my god. Hype levels are going through the goddamn roof right now. This just looks loving mind blowing, seriously Square hit it out of the park.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

PonchAxis posted:

Just saw the battle trailer and oh my god. Hype levels are going through the goddamn roof right now. This just looks loving mind blowing, seriously Square hit it out of the park.

Seriously. I promised myself I wouldn't get hyped over another Final Fantasy game after XIII, but here I am again. The gameplay just looks really cool, even if I still have no idea what's going on.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

SlenderWhore posted:

I have a negative view in general towards FF XIV, but may be willing to give it a chance if it gets enough good reviews. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means and I've only ever played WoW before for like a year before I got bored and that's literally it as far as my MMO experience goes. I wonder if maybe this would be a good place to start when I purchased a PS4, but am not sure.

The primary reason I am willing to give FFXIV a second chance is the presence of Akihiko Matsui on the battle system design team. This man was able to take a stagnant and dying FFXI, and give it a renewed subscriber base when he took over for Hiromichi Tanaka. I believe he was responsible for the Abyssea add-ons, which completely eliminated level grinds in excess of one year.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Seriously. I promised myself I wouldn't get hyped over another Final Fantasy game after XIII, but here I am again. The gameplay just looks really cool, even if I still have no idea what's going on.

Definitely the biggest departure from the FF battle system yet. From what I can tell, you have a targeting icon that can snap to different parts of the enemies, which you can use to huck your sword into them and teleport around. That looks like it'll be a lot of fun for big baddies. I'm guessing you only get to control one character at a time, but can call in other characters for context-sensitive team attacks. Noctis, at least, clearly has different weapons he can switch between for different attack speeds/animations/reach etc.

Hard to say how it'll work out of battle. Maybe some sort of auto-snap targeting for teleporting like with the grappling hook in the Arkham games.

Man, I really hope they don't gently caress this up.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Cardboard Fox posted:

It looked great, but was anyone able to tell what the gently caress was going on in the wall combat sequence? Was he going up or down? It looked like he might be targeting it (at least when he teleported to a wall), but the teleports were so instantaneous that I couldn't really get a reference point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

It looked great, but was anyone able to tell what the gently caress was going on in the wall combat sequence? Was he going up or down? It looked like he might be targeting it (at least when he teleported to a wall), but the teleports were so instantaneous that I couldn't really get a reference point.

The whole thing was just wall-to-wall scripted setpieces. Looks nice, sure, but I'm going to wait until I see some actual substance before making judgment.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

WeaponBoy posted:

It looked like there were dudes climbing the walls, and he was locking on and teleporting to the enemies themselves.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'm in the XIV beta, and it's a great game that does the name justice. Had played XI for years and enjoyed it, warts and all, but XIV is legitimate fun with Final Fantasy influences. It stands on its own as a worthwhile experience.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh man, that combat trailer. :allears: I mentioned it in the general E3 thread, but I love how the party triple teamed the Iron Giant. Reminds me of an anime version of WWE's The Shield.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Schwartzcough posted:

It looked like there were dudes climbing the walls, and he was locking on and teleporting to the enemies themselves.

Yeah it looks like warping to and fro will be a big gameplay mechanic since it's right there above attack.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
Man, after watching that FFXV gameplay trailer I almost poo poo myself. Actual gameplay? With great looking combat mechanics? No QTEs? No ridiculous fashion choices?

Is this really a Square Enix release?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Proto Cloud posted:

Man, after watching that FFXV gameplay trailer I almost poo poo myself. Actual gameplay? With great looking combat mechanics? No QTEs? No ridiculous fashion choices?

There are a few sequences with definite QTEs, such as killing the iron giant with his own sword.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Proto Cloud posted:

It's happening. The moons have aligned, the rhyme and rhythms are tight, TWEWY Nomura has awakened.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm in the XIV beta, and it's a great game that does the name justice. Had played XI for years and enjoyed it, warts and all, but XIV is legitimate fun with Final Fantasy influences. It stands on its own as a worthwhile experience.

I played FF14 way back during its original Beta and one of the things that always bugged me is if youre going to make a Final Fantasy MMO, why did they shy away from all the iconic classes and monsters? They should be poking me in the ribs going "remember that ref", isnt that the whole point of using 25 years of collective history in a game series as an MMO setting?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Meme Emulator posted:

I played FF14 way back during its original Beta and one of the things that always bugged me is if youre going to make a Final Fantasy MMO, why did they shy away from all the iconic classes and monsters? They should be poking me in the ribs going "remember that ref", isnt that the whole point of using 25 years of collective history in a game series as an MMO setting?

Let's just say ARR is full of throwbacks to classic FF games, almost to the point of naseum.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

ShadeofDante posted:

Let's just say ARR is full of throwbacks to classic FF games, almost to the point of naseum.

Is there a quest to save a man's daughter from the lustful gaze of a spoony bard?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So here's more XV gameplay speculation: perhaps the different weapons aren't just different-sized pokin' sticks to hit things with, but represent jobs/roles. For example, the giant greatsword could be a defender/knight-type role, as that is what he was using when he was deflecting all those attacks from the Iron Giant. In one battle he had the spear and did a small leap into the air then came down and slammed it into the ground, like a baby Dragoon leap. The little dagger could be thief, and maybe they'll add some staffs or rods for magey classes. That would make the battle system similar to X-2 or sorta kinda XIII.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I just watched the FFX"V" trailer, and I have to say that I'm pretty torn by it. I can't dispute that the game looks pretty awesome, and I'm likely to play / buy it. The song on the trailer was one of the better FF mock-opera tunes in quite some time and the dynamic of jumping around all over the place looks fun.

That said, I feel like something has been lost from the series that we might not get back. I got into the series and have always enjoyed the more tactical, menu-driven game play that was focused on making the right choices and being thoughtful / deconstructing the battle system. It remains to be seen whether this will be differentiated from other action games and maintains the strategic element of resource management in battle (the resource management out of battle was given up for dead so long ago that I've given up hope).

Short version: looks good, and a game that should be made, but I would have felt better about it if it was a side-game like DoC rather than a "main-line" game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Crossing Those Hills from FF9 got remixed in E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc47m029HtE

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Terper posted:

For what?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Terper posted:

I want a FFIX remake so bad.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They had music playing in the streams and on the show floor, so for that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I want to be excited for XV, I really do, but I just do not like action RPGs, never have. I know we don't know any specifics about XV's battle system but I remain pessimistic. It looks neat, but if it's a real-time battle system I'm just not going to enjoy playing it.

I know, I know, I'm weird. I'll just sit in the corner with my Dragon Quests.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The teleporting on the side of the building was something like a blink dagger really, throws and it sets into the side and he ports over, snikts the target, repeats with the next. Went over the 1080p version happily just before I went to bed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know, I know, I'm weird. I'll just sit in the corner with my Dragon Quests.

Can't even count on that, look at DQX. :smith:

I do hope FFXV is awesome for the people who are interested in it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvanis
Dec 10, 2005
Insert text here.

Terper posted:

That's Yuxuki Waga's arrangement of Over The Hill from the 2011 remix album Cafe SQ. That album also has a remix of the FFVII Main Theme by Reign of Kindo, which is the best that song has ever sounded.