Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

My (female) cat had a litter of kittens before she was spayed. She then accepted two orphaned little kittens from a different momma cat, and let them suckle her as if these two kittens were her own. Is such behavior common in cats? Some experts would have me believe that cats routinely kill not-their-own kittens.

What the gently caress? Is this true? It's the first time I hear about something like that. Are you sure your "experts" weren't talking about lions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Libluini posted:

What the gently caress? Is this true? It's the first time I hear about something like that. Are you sure your "experts" weren't talking about lions?

Yeah, that seems odd.

At my work we have a cat that had kittens, but was too thin to spay immediately. We then got some orphaned kittens in and gave them to her and she adopted them immediately. A week later we got ANOTHER kitten in and added it to the litter and they all get along great. She's a good mama :3:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Weinertron posted:

Is this whenever she does anything, or only when she poops? My cats always come tell me about their poops after they do 2 laps of the apartment at full speed to shake the poo ghosts.

Only after the bathroom and I am pretty sure only after #2 so to speak. On occasion she will walk around the apartment meowing too, she seems to want attention & sit in my lap mostly. She always wants to sit in my lap, she's sitting in my lap now. She followed me from the kitchen with my morning coffee, stood by my chair looking at me and the moment I sit down she does this combined jump/headbutt into my face.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
Hi megathread,

I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on how to deal with a mice infestation without harming our cat.

My partner and I live in a flat in Scotland where, due to the age of most buildings and the variable cleanliness standards of other tenants in the building, it is inevitable to come across one or two mice while living there. It is therefore usually not a problem requiring an exterminator, just a question of setting a few live-capture traps and being extra vigilant in cleaning up the kitchen and other food, which we generally are pretty good with anyway.

However, over the last week, our 14 month old ragdoll has managed to catch five of the buggers; one adult and what looks like four babies. Thankfully she hasn't actually killed or eaten any of them, but just played with them until we are to capture them ourselves and dispose of them. Given the number of mice and the presence of babies we now think that we have a proper nest/infestation somewhere in the flat, most likely under the floor or behind the walls of the kitchen, and although the cat is doing her best to systematically catch them for us (going as far as staking out the kitchen for hours at a time), we think it might be time to call in professional exterminators to see if they can get to the root of the problem.

Our main concern is how to make sure that they deal with the problem as safely as possible. Just putting down poison seems to be a big no-no; not only are we afraid that the cat will get poisoned either directly, or indirectly by playing with/eating a poisoned mouse, but we are not keen to have a bunch of mice die inside our walls.

Yet, without the use of poison, we can't see how the exterminator will be able to do anything that we can't do ourselves. I am planning on calling some companies later, perhaps even the local council, as well as the landlord, to get their advice, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience of safely exterminating mice problems.

Are any of these products at all useful, more so than just regular traps?

Other minor issues:

1. We feed the cat some wet food at night, but do also leave a small bowl of dry food out during the day for her to eat. Considering that we have cleaned up all other sources of food, this is pretty much the only open source of food left. Is there any way to cover up her food bowl in such a way that would prevent mice from being drawn to it, whilst still allowing her to eat from it? I know the general advice here is to switch to only wet food at regular intervals, but if possible we would like to keep her feeding routine as it is right now (both the wet and dry food is made by Applaws, which we decided on following recommendations in the nutrition thread, so it should be pretty good for her).

2. We can hear some chirping sounds from behind one of the kitchen walls, where we think the nest could be. However, it is a bit odd as the sound is constant, with no variation and so doesn't really sound like something an animal would make. Are mice just weird like that, or is it something completely unrelated? We were able to do a little bit of a check behind some cupboards from where the sounds are coming from, but weren't really able to find anything. We just plugged some random cracks and holes in the floor and wall, but an hour later she had caught another two mice, so it seems like we still weren't able to seal off their access entirely.

3. If the cat does end up one day eating one or more of the mice, is there anything we should do especially to prevent her from getting worms, parasites, or other diseases? She had her yearly checkup yesterday, where she got booster vaccinations and a standard worming pill. I'm guessing she's set for a while, and a wait-and-see approach is best?

I'm sorry for the long and rambling post that is only tangentially related to the topic, but this seemed the best place to post. To make up for it, here are some pictures of Whisky, (in two years time she will be Scotch!):

Thank you very much for any advice anyone has!!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

londonmoose posted:

Hi megathread,

I was wondering if anyone here has any advice on how to deal with a mice infestation without harming our cat.

My partner and I live in a flat in Scotland where, due to the age of most buildings and the variable cleanliness standards of other tenants in the building, it is inevitable to come across one or two mice while living there. It is therefore usually not a problem requiring an exterminator, just a question of setting a few live-capture traps and being extra vigilant in cleaning up the kitchen and other food, which we generally are pretty good with anyway.

However, over the last week, our 14 month old ragdoll has managed to catch five of the buggers; one adult and what looks like four babies. Thankfully she hasn't actually killed or eaten any of them, but just played with them until we are to capture them ourselves and dispose of them. Given the number of mice and the presence of babies we now think that we have a proper nest/infestation somewhere in the flat, most likely under the floor or behind the walls of the kitchen, and although the cat is doing her best to systematically catch them for us (going as far as staking out the kitchen for hours at a time), we think it might be time to call in professional exterminators to see if they can get to the root of the problem.

Our main concern is how to make sure that they deal with the problem as safely as possible. Just putting down poison seems to be a big no-no; not only are we afraid that the cat will get poisoned either directly, or indirectly by playing with/eating a poisoned mouse, but we are not keen to have a bunch of mice die inside our walls.

Yet, without the use of poison, we can't see how the exterminator will be able to do anything that we can't do ourselves. I am planning on calling some companies later, perhaps even the local council, as well as the landlord, to get their advice, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience of safely exterminating mice problems.

Are any of these products at all useful, more so than just regular traps?

Other minor issues:

1. We feed the cat some wet food at night, but do also leave a small bowl of dry food out during the day for her to eat. Considering that we have cleaned up all other sources of food, this is pretty much the only open source of food left. Is there any way to cover up her food bowl in such a way that would prevent mice from being drawn to it, whilst still allowing her to eat from it? I know the general advice here is to switch to only wet food at regular intervals, but if possible we would like to keep her feeding routine as it is right now (both the wet and dry food is made by Applaws, which we decided on following recommendations in the nutrition thread, so it should be pretty good for her).

2. We can hear some chirping sounds from behind one of the kitchen walls, where we think the nest could be. However, it is a bit odd as the sound is constant, with no variation and so doesn't really sound like something an animal would make. Are mice just weird like that, or is it something completely unrelated? We were able to do a little bit of a check behind some cupboards from where the sounds are coming from, but weren't really able to find anything. We just plugged some random cracks and holes in the floor and wall, but an hour later she had caught another two mice, so it seems like we still weren't able to seal off their access entirely.

3. If the cat does end up one day eating one or more of the mice, is there anything we should do especially to prevent her from getting worms, parasites, or other diseases? She had her yearly checkup yesterday, where she got booster vaccinations and a standard worming pill. I'm guessing she's set for a while, and a wait-and-see approach is best?

I'm sorry for the long and rambling post that is only tangentially related to the topic, but this seemed the best place to post. To make up for it, here are some pictures of Whisky, (in two years time she will be Scotch!):

Thank you very much for any advice anyone has!!

Oh my, she's gorgeous.

I'd at least temporarily move her to a feeding schedule. A few times a day, put out the dry food and give her 10 minutes to eat, then put it away. She'll get used to it, and it won't encourage the mice.

Also, do you use any flea preventatives? Mice can carry fleas and ticks, among other things, and a wait and see approach can mean de-fleaing your home for several weeks. As a bonus, some flea preventatives also have various worm preventatives.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

whatspeakyou posted:

So my wife found another 6 week old cat on the side of the road. That's #2 in three years. I'm starting to think she goes out, buys them, and then brings them home with a sob story. Either that or I am now running a shelter. Either way, what is the best way to introduce a 6 week old cat to a 3 year old cat who has been the only pet in the house for those 3 years? She's been around a dog and another cat (briefly) before and hated both of them.

Guide in OP, ctrl-F for "Eggplant Wizard" if you're too lazy to skim.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Dienes posted:

Oh my, she's gorgeous.

I'd at least temporarily move her to a feeding schedule. A few times a day, put out the dry food and give her 10 minutes to eat, then put it away. She'll get used to it, and it won't encourage the mice.

Also, do you use any flea preventatives? Mice can carry fleas and ticks, among other things, and a wait and see approach can mean de-fleaing your home for several weeks. As a bonus, some flea preventatives also have various worm preventatives.

She is an indoor cat, so we've not had to deal with flea prevention before, or even thought about it, but we will look into it now, so thanks for bringing that up. We might try the food idea as well. Thanks!

As a further update, our letting agency will be sending a contractor around to have a look soon. However, they won't be doing an extermination unless they can actually find the nest inside the property. At least we might get an idea of what the noise is about, and they also said they would try and fill in all the various cracks and holes in the kitchen, which might help. We'll probably get a few more covered/non-poison traps, and hope that they just move on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Libluini posted:

Just happened to another guy who was looking for a surrogate mother because the real mother got hit by a car, the other cat mother accepted it and it seemed fine last I heard.

e: nevermind got that bass-ackwards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My cat has started to nip me on the arms when I'm in bed before I'm going to sleep. I tried the whole "make a high pitched sound" route but it isn't working since he isn't startled by it at all. Is there anything else I can try other than to just put him out of the room which I'd rather not do since once we actually go to sleep he's fine until the morning...

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

mcmagic posted:

My cat has started to nip me on the arms when I'm in bed before I'm going to sleep. I tried the whole "make a high pitched sound" route but it isn't working since he isn't startled by it at all. Is there anything else I can try other than to just put him out of the room which I'd rather not do since once we actually go to sleep he's fine until the morning...

Bring a small toy to bed with you, and when he starts to get restless you can refocus his attention on the toy. When you're actually ready for sleep just hide the toy somewhere so he doesn't bother you with it during the night.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I seem to have an escalating pee problem with one of our cats. A couple months ago, he peed on our son's diaper hamper. We thought, well, maybe the scent is confusing for him, maybe his box isn't clean enough, whatever. So we cleaned the area really thoroughly, and I was paying closer attention to the box. Things seemed ok, but then a couple weeks later he peed on a bag of our son's laundry that was sitting on the floor to go down to the wash.

At that point we took him to the vet to make sure there was nothing wrong with him (there isn't). I also picked up scooping to twice daily to keep the box really clean. Since then he has peed three more times, twice on our son's bed (where the cat actually used to nap during the day) and once on our son's sweater when it was lying on the living room floor.

So at this point it seems like the cat has developed a vendetta against our son; basically the only thing that has changed in our lives is our son getting older (now 2); we haven't moved, or changed his litter or food, or moved his box or anything else. I have no idea why he has developed a problem with our son - our kid doesn't hassle him or anything, chase him or pull his tail, etc. We've been careful to stress that he has to be gentle with the cats, and that he can only play with them if they want to. He even gives them their food in the morning.

At this point I don't really know what to do. It isn't a constant thing, but it's also not something that we can just live with. Due to the layout of the house, we can't easily keep the cats away our son's room - it would mean either restricting the cats to the kitchen, or shutting our son out of his own room. People have suggested Feliway, so I guess that is our next attempt; if anyone has experience with it, it would be great to hear. Or if anyone has other suggestions for handling this.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I just got a harness for my cat. Are there any precautions to take when bringing a cat outside? Is flea protection a must?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Neptr posted:

I just got a harness for my cat. Are there any precautions to take when bringing a cat outside? Is flea protection a must?

Fleas really suck, better safe than sorry.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Neptr posted:

Make sure you're doing the "outdoor" vaccinations like rabies and all that. You technically have to but you never know, some people forego them. Make sure the harness is tight & secure.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Neptr posted:

When I took my cat out, he would sometimes get a bit too excited and I'd have to grab him and take him back inside, before he jumped a fence or went through a hole. He did not like being grabbed, and I regret not wearing thicker clothes.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Today's SMBC is wonderful.

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 13, 2013

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Ashcans posted:

Cat peeing outside the box

It sounds like you have more than one cat and only one litter box, so I would start by adding a litter box. Pick up some Cat Attract and add it to the litter while you're at it. Maybe another cat ambushed him at some point and he's just freaked out by the current litter box, or maybe another cat was in the litter box/had used it recently and he just doesn't like that.

Clean any areas he's peeing on with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, of course. Not just a normal cleaner. There's a whole section of the OP to this thread dedicated to litter box problems.

Cats don't have vendettas. They understand cause and effect. I'm guessing your vet already did a urinalysis/blood test/X-rays, but if adding another box doesn't help, it might not hurt to take the cat back in and see if there's anything else they should rule out.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Nyarai posted:

Today's SMBC is wonderful.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=3007"
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20130612.png

(Votey)http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20130612after.gif

Please don't hot link.

whatspeakyou posted:

So my wife found another 6 week old cat on the side of the road. That's #2 in three years. I'm starting to think she goes out, buys them, and then brings them home with a sob story. Either that or I am now running a shelter. Either way, what is the best way to introduce a 6 week old cat to a 3 year old cat who has been the only pet in the house for those 3 years? She's been around a dog and another cat (briefly) before and hated both of them.

We brought home a kitten a few weeks ago (he was just shy of 8 weeks old) and my other cat wasn't pleased but we just made sure we spent as much time petting and loving on her as we did before and this afternoon my boyfriend sent me a text of the two of them on the couch together getting closer to cuddling than ever before.

We didn't do any of the introduction stuff other than feeding them separately at first until we moved their food plates closer and closer until we just narrowed it down to one bowl, and adding a separate litter box. Just keep your eyes peeled for any bloody bitey fighting. Our two kept it down to mostly the older one batting the little one on the head in a "I don't know you that's my purse" kinda way.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Dead Cow posted:

Please don't hot link.

The first link was provided by Zack Weiner specifically for sharing on forums, but I'll remove the votey.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

There's a BBC Horizon program on tonight called 'The Secret Life of Cats' - they put GPS collars and cameras on a bunch of cats and recorded what they did.

Trailer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xcvhw

Some of the results: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

spiderbot posted:

There's a BBC Horizon program on tonight called 'The Secret Life of Cats' - they put GPS collars and cameras on a bunch of cats and recorded what they did.

Trailer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xcvhw

Some of the results: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526

Thanks was just going to post about this myself, looks an amazing program.

The program is flagged for distressing scenes, so its safe to assume that they show some of the bird kills that happen over the week. Only 20 killed over the week which is surprising given the bios on the website they seemed to have chosen hunting cats. Of the 2 cats that we had (both died in past year) one was a hunter while the other never hunted at all, and the hunter killed a rat near enough a day upto the day he died (died 19 years of age from renal failure, tablets didn't work for him).

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm really sorry I keep posting, but I'm at the end of my rope.

In case you missed it, I rescued my female (spayed now) cat off the street in june at roughly 8 months. I lived with her about 6 months before she spent another 6 without me due to Japan Quarantine laws, she spent that time with 3 other cats. She is not declawed, the were. During that time she had two humans to spend time with. One (male roommate) hated her and wouldn't give her any attention, My Ex (female) would, but she was distracted with all the other cats. I recently got her on june 1st, and it's just me and her. She's eating properly, urinating/pooping were she should, but I have a brand new problem:

I've had Charlie for 13 days now. When I first got her I just assume she was so tired from the flight that she slept a lot, wanted cuddles now and then and was quiet. Last week I went on nights, where I work from 1930 to 0730. Two days ago I was so discombobulated I showed up two hours early. My night schedule is roughly work 12 hours every two days, then two off, then three on, three off, or about that. I've made a lot of mistakes these last two days from lack of sleep, which is also hosed.

In the last week Charlie has went from sleeping most of the time to being a shitball. Right now she is tearing the poo poo out of a plastic bag I left out on purpose for her to do so. It's 8:17 PM.

In the last week Charlie has cost me sleep. She's adjusted to that she sleeps when I want to sleep since I'm on nights (roughly 11am to 5pm) but right before that she wants love, so she does the headbutting thing. Then she sleeps during the time I wish I was sleeping, but right after that time frame she wants to play.

I am not adjusted yet. I can't really sleep when she is, and before and after she is bugging the gently caress out of me. If I lock her out of the bedroom she whines and cries right outside the door, and slams against it. (we would lock her out of the bedroom before when she was being bad, but never this reaction) Even when I open it to spray her with water in the face the behavior continues. I tried locking her a room away, but my apartment is so small I can still hear her hitting the door and MEOWING LIKE SHE'S ON FIRE. She is seriously slamming herself against the door, so it's THUD THUD THUD THUD *MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW* THUD THUD THUD repeat.

I tried verious "cat proven methods" to stop the behaviour (water, yelling, clapping, and even just pretending she's a dog and giving her a few good smacks. I even tried reasoning with her. No use.

So the end of my story, it's 8:21 PM and I have slept about 4 hours in 4 days, and I just went to the nearest store and the transaction was:

Me: "(in bad japanese) Please excuse me, I don't speak Japanese. Do you have earplugs? *mimics earplugs*
Her: BIG NO with the cross arm motion they like to use with foreigners so we get the point.
Me: (still horrible Japanese) Oh ok. My cat won't let me sleep. *buys a bottle of wine*

If this wine doesn't make me sleep the cat is going over the balcony. I really don't sleep well with music and such on, so that's not an option.

(I've also taken 5mg of melatonin and 25 of benadryl. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow for ambien if I don't sleep tonight)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

LoreOfSerpents posted:

It sounds like you have more than one cat and only one litter box, so I would start by adding a litter box. Pick up some Cat Attract and add it to the litter while you're at it. Maybe another cat ambushed him at some point and he's just freaked out by the current litter box, or maybe another cat was in the litter box/had used it recently and he just doesn't like that.

Clean any areas he's peeing on with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, of course. Not just a normal cleaner. There's a whole section of the OP to this thread dedicated to litter box problems.

Cats don't have vendettas. They understand cause and effect. I'm guessing your vet already did a urinalysis/blood test/X-rays, but if adding another box doesn't help, it might not hurt to take the cat back in and see if there's anything else they should rule out.

Thanks for the advice. We have two cats, and they do share a litter box. They have been doing that for 3 years now and the only time we had any issues was when we first had our son and scooping kind of got lost in the sleepless blur of new parenthood. Adding a box is pretty simple though, so we'll do that and see if it makes a difference for him. It's possible that he's just finding the box unappealing after the other cat has just used it, which might explain why this is only a weekly/biweekly event and not a constant problem.

Maybe vendetta is the wrong word, but it does seem pretty significant to me that whenever he dodges the litterbox, he picks something of our son's to pee on instead. The only other time we had litter issues (mentioned above) he would pee directly next to the box or somewhere in the same room. But there's nothing about our son's behavior that has been inappropriate or provocative, so who knows.

We'll try an extra box and if that doesn't work loop back to the vet, I guess. :(

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

leftover posted:

I tried verious "cat proven methods" to stop the behaviour (water, yelling, clapping, and even just pretending she's a dog and giving her a few good smacks. I even tried reasoning with her. No use.

Every time you open the door when she's beating on it, even if you only give negative attention, is reinforcing that beating on the door makes the door open.

Tire her out before you go to bed. Keep a vacuum (or something else that'll make noise but stays switched on when unplugged) outside the door, with the cord on the inside. Cat hits door, plug vacuum in. Behavior should fade pretty quickly, though not immediately.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I finally got some sleep, I don't know if she was vying for attention or not, I basically got myself drunk and passed out, but I will definitely try this tomorrow. I was just so desperate for sleep and she's turned from an independent cat to one needing to be by my side constantly. The whole nights thing is not helping too.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Every time you open the door when she's beating on it, even if you only give negative attention, is reinforcing that beating on the door makes the door open.

Tire her out before you go to bed. Keep a vacuum (or something else that'll make noise but stays switched on when unplugged) outside the door, with the cord on the inside. Cat hits door, plug vacuum in. Behavior should fade pretty quickly, though not immediately.

I finally got some sleep, I don't know if she was vying for attention or not, I basically got myself drunk and passed out, but I will definitely try this tomorrow. I was just so desperate for sleep and she's turned from an independent cat to one needing to be by my side constantly. The whole nights thing is not helping too.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Dead Cow posted:

Please don't hot link.

We brought home a kitten a few weeks ago (he was just shy of 8 weeks old) and my other cat wasn't pleased but we just made sure we spent as much time petting and loving on her as we did before and this afternoon my boyfriend sent me a text of the two of them on the couch together getting closer to cuddling than ever before.

We didn't do any of the introduction stuff other than feeding them separately at first until we moved their food plates closer and closer until we just narrowed it down to one bowl, and adding a separate litter box. Just keep your eyes peeled for any bloody bitey fighting. Our two kept it down to mostly the older one batting the little one on the head in a "I don't know you that's my purse" kinda way.

Yeah I've noticed our older cat is starting to mellow out just a little. We've kept them in completely separate rooms, though. The older one knows the kitten is alive and is encroaching on her kingdom. The kitten gives no fucks and plays with anything resembling a string or feather. :3:

On that note, I need a name for this thing. It's a female, all black, and super tiny. We've suggested Midnight (overused), Shadow (overused), Zoey (eh), and Chloe (same problem as Zoey). Older cat's name is Bella. Any ideas folks?

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I really hate the series, but since you named the other one Bella, the first thing that comes to mind is twilight.... (don't do it)

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

On that note, I need a name for this thing. It's a female, all black, and super tiny. We've suggested Midnight (overused), Shadow (overused), Zoey (eh), and Chloe (same problem as Zoey). Older cat's name is Bella. Any ideas folks?

You could call the little one Izzy, so when you put them together you get Izzy and Bella, like "Isabella." :haw:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Yeah the twilight thing is purely coincidence (or my wife hates me).

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

whatspeakyou posted:

Yeah the twilight thing is purely coincidence (or my wife hates me).

That's fine, I have a friend who named her girl baby Bella like a month after the movie came out, and called her out on it, but she claimed to have never seen the movie/read the book. The FB posts I see now about "Bella Mia" are cute, but still. For actual support, if I was you I would call her Ink. I have a girl cat named Charlie though... Grain of salt.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Nothing goes better with Bella than Psychopomp.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Hey I have a question about cat medicine.

My cat Lucy is almost 18 years old and she has really bad arthritis in her hips and lower legs. Back in February she had an accident (either from an attack or a fall) and the vet put her on Meloxicam which she responded extremely well on. While she was on it she was back to being her young self and acted like a young cat again, it really improved her quality of life. She was only on it for about a fortnight after which the vet took her of it to stop any long term kidney damage. We noticed she was starting to limp and stop moving around as much on the weekend so we brought her back to the vet to talk about long term medication for her, so she could spend the last few months/years of her life as comfortable as possible.

After about an hour of talking with the vet, we decided that it would be best for her quality of life if we just considered easing her pain. She responded really well to the Meloxicam, so after some bloodwork was done to make sure there was no immediate risk of renal failure (she is in excellent shape for her age, really healthy according to the vet) we are considering putting her on it for the rest of her life.

We were warned by the vet that we would be looking at her remaining life being in the realm of 3~6 months due to the side effects of Meloxicam. So for the next two weeks we will be trialling her on it before taking her back to the vet to see how she was going and another bloodtest. Does anyone know of any other pain relief medicines I can suggest to the vet with fewer side effects? Or is 3~6 months of effective pain relief the best we are going to see, even if we were to put her on opiates?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Lord Windy posted:

Hey I have a question about cat medicine.

My mom has her 13 year old dog on Dasuquin for her arthritis, but she had a few gastric side effects. It looks like it's an option for cats, as is Cosequin. But ask your vet though.

E: she's 18. That's beyond geriatric for most cats. It may be time to let her go :smith:

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Lord Windy posted:

We were warned by the vet that we would be looking at her remaining life being in the realm of 3~6 months due to the side effects of Meloxicam. So for the next two weeks we will be trialling her on it before taking her back to the vet to see how she was going and another bloodtest. Does anyone know of any other pain relief medicines I can suggest to the vet with fewer side effects? Or is 3~6 months of effective pain relief the best we are going to see, even if we were to put her on opiates?

There are some other suggestions on this site.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are mentioned a lot. Another site recommended Hills Prescription Diet j/d for inflammation. Other things include making things easily accessible to your cat so she doesn't have to travel far to get to her food, water, or litterbox, and making sure the litterbox is low to the ground or accessible by ramp.

If Meloxicam is your vet's only offering, try another vet for a second opinion. I have an older cat who had a nightmare problem of bad gums that made it incredibly painful for her to eat, and my first vet never did anything but give her steroid shots and offered no other help. I took her to another vet, they looked at her and diagnosed her with something called stomatitis and suggested removing almost all her teeth, and now she's living a happy painfree life.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Pretty Pretty Pony posted:

diagnosed her with something called stomatitis and suggested removing almost all her teeth, and now she's living a happy painfree life.

I had two cats that had this! Both required complete tooth removals.

They were allergic to their own dental plaque, it seems.

The vets said there was no disease or virus or anything that could cause it but I had two separate unrelated cats that were fine for a while until it kicked in, the female got it first, then the male. I'm positive it's an environmental/viral thing...too bad they both disappeared on me some time ago :smith:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

If Meloxicam is your vet's only offering, try another vet for a second opinion. I have an older cat who had a nightmare problem of bad gums that made it incredibly painful for her to eat, and my first vet never did anything but give her steroid shots and offered no other help. I took her to another vet, they looked at her and diagnosed her with something called stomatitis and suggested removing almost all her teeth, and now she's living a happy painfree life.

Well I guess if they just remove the cat's hips that will fix it!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
They give Adequan to cats now. Our cat is beginning to get arthritis and she gets one sub-q shot a week and it seems to be working.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

There are some other suggestions on this site.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are mentioned a lot. Another site recommended Hills Prescription Diet j/d for inflammation. Other things include making things easily accessible to your cat so she doesn't have to travel far to get to her food, water, or litterbox, and making sure the litterbox is low to the ground or accessible by ramp.

The Vet was really good, she gave me a heap of options. The first one was sedating Lucy and allowing the Vet to do some acupuncture along with x-rays to see if there might be a surgical option to help relieve pain. I thought that might stress her out too much. The Meloxicam was more our go-to drug because she responded really well to it last time. Lucy reminded us when it was time to take the medication rather than the other way round, and would open her mouth for the syringe.

But the Tramadol recommendation from the article is really interesting. I was prescribed that when I threw out my back and it worked wonders for relieving pain. So when I go back I will have a chat to them about that one.

If it helps, the vet office is owned by the University of Queensland and is used as a school for both large and small animals. So I had the actual vet giving me advice along with a couple of fifth year students who were learning and asking questions as well. I've been to a few vets, but these guys have always been the best.

Topoisomerase posted:

Well I guess if they just remove the cat's hips that will fix it!

Funnily enough, my brother and I were joking on the way to the vet that it might easier for her if we asked them to give her wheels instead.

Lareine posted:

They give Adequan to cats now. Our cat is beginning to get arthritis and she gets one sub-q shot a week and it seems to be working.

I'll chat to them about this as well. They work on a lot of horses, so if it's in Australia they should know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Just yo let you know, here in the US they're having production problem's with Adequan and we're not sure when they're going to start producing it again. You can definitely look at oral joint supplements - we often prescribe cosequin.