Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mons Hubris posted:

I got this from PS+ a while back and had a minor question: When I start the game, the Continue Game option is greyed out. I can load the last autosave so it's not a big deal, but why even have Continue Game there if it doesn't work?

You have to wait 10 seconds or so and it will un-grey. I assume it's because of disc reading or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

E: ^^^ I was late

Mons Hubris posted:

I got this from PS+ a while back and had a minor question: When I start the game, the Continue Game option is greyed out. I can load the last autosave so it's not a big deal, but why even have Continue Game there if it doesn't work?

You know how when you select the "Load" option, it takes a few seconds before the list of saves comes up / is populated? "Continue" also becomes available during that time. Waiting for 5 or 10 seconds on the menu screen should allow you to select "Continue". I think it takes roughly the same amount of time either way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And anyway, what kind of monster doesn't listen to that title screen music for 10 seconds every time they boot up the game?

I still haven't played Year of the Snake. The weird thing about Nightmare in North Point is that some, but not all, of your melee and cop upgrades actually carry over. Like, the "stun kick" combo doesn't, but the "leg break" and "arm break" do. I know someone was asking about it earlier. Also all your health upgrades carry over, making it super easy if you play it after finishing the main game.

You also get like 15 outfits in it, including a "Michael Jackson Thriller" looking red jacket/black pants which you should wear as soon as you get it and for the rest of the DLC.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

precision posted:

You also get like 15 outfits in it, including a "Michael Jackson Thriller" looking red jacket/black pants which you should wear as soon as you get it and for the rest of the DLC.
I believe that you're talking about the "Part-Time Assassin" outfit, which is a reference to Andy Lau's get-up in the film "Fulltime Killer" (Which everyone in this thread should see).

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 4, 2013

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The game was dropped to $15/1200 MSP on Xbox today, so I picked it up with my surplus of points from last week's deal. Are any of the DLCs essential/worth it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sonny Cheebah posted:

I believe that you're talking about the "Part-Time Assassin" outfit, which is a reference to Andy Lau's get-up in the film "Fulltime Killer" (Which everyone in this thread should see).

Oh I see. I thought it was a Thriller outfit because of the ending shot.

surrender posted:

The game was dropped to $15/1200 MSP on Xbox today, so I picked it up with my surplus of points from last week's deal. Are any of the DLCs essential/worth it?

The only ones that aren't worth it are the ones that just give you a ton of experience/cash.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Nightmare in North Point is fantastic. Year of the Snake is decent - better if you want some beat cop action. Zodiac Tournament is short, but full of great kung fu movie references.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The Triad Enforcer Pack is probably worth a look at if not being able to max out your Triad levels bugs you,

It adds a couple of activities that can help you get that last little bit of Triad XP. One of those car chase ones (sort of like the cop one that was included with pre-orders) is OK but I liked the "fight club" on the docks which throws endless waves of goons at you, which can be quite enjoyable once you've got most of the upgrade moves.

Wait until a sale though, it's definitely not an essential, but at sale price it adds enough that I reckon it was worth it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Beat it last night, possibly the most action packed final mission I've played in a crime game.

Sleeping Dogs totally defied my expectations. it's a fun game with great driving, shooting and brawling mechanics, incredibly well acted and well written (aside from the food vendors, I was shocked at how little they lean on stereotypes, unlike Rockstar) and the soundtrack was INCREDIBLE.

Also the last sequence in Tong's apartment was so cool my partner dropped everything to watch it unfold. She said it was the most cinematic gameplay she'd ever seen.

Amazing game, I'll grab the DLC on sale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They really did a great job with the radio stations in my book, especially H-Klub and, obviously, Softly, not to mention two electronica/IDM stations, neither of which had anything like Skrillex, and one of which had a goddamn Four Tet remix of a song on it. That's crazy.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
DAPTONE

RADIO

I just want more in SD2. I know licensing music can be expensive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

isk posted:

DAPTONE

RADIO

I just want more in SD2. I know licensing music can be expensive.

Yeah Daptone was awesome, and probably cheap (as the electronica stations probably were as well). Really, I can't imagine much other than The Who cost very much. You can tell they were working within a budget for the music, but they just picked awesome lesser-known artists rather than "bargain" copies of popular acts.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Ninja/tune and warp radio were amazing! Just beat this game as well and i had a blast.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I just hope we get a sequel, personally.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I bought this baby and it's been holy poo poo fun. I'm just past Winston's wedding. I knew it was coming, but drat. :(

Who else likes to flying jump kick the two women outside of the North Point apartments after every load?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats funny, usually they scatter as soon as a motorcycle explodes out of the apartment door.

ed: If anyone can find that video of Wei waking up and his bike's in bed with him, then him riding it around until it explodes, I'd be grateful!

double edit:vvvv Thats the one! Thanks!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 12, 2013

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mT0IQCTjU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Ah hah hah, that's wonderful. And some people avoid the motorcycles!

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

I know one of the first things I did was put a motorcycle in the bathroom and then try to get one of those little cars up there too.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

der juicen posted:

I bought this baby and it's been holy poo poo fun. I'm just past Winston's wedding. I knew it was coming, but drat. :(

Who else likes to flying jump kick the two women outside of the North Point apartments after every load?

What's funnier is that they switched the programming by accident, so the lines that are supposed to come from the young daughter come from the older woman, and vice versa. So what you're really witnessing is a young woman telling her mother to stop loving yakuza boys in their apartment.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I'm also playing this for the first time. I'm about 80% done at the moment and just had the most amazing glitch. I spiked a guy off one of those tiny fences that ruin your police score on every mission and he flew about 15 feet in the air before landing in oncoming traffic :lol:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Duke posted:

I'm also playing this for the first time. I'm about 80% done at the moment and just had the most amazing glitch. I spiked a guy off one of those tiny fences that ruin your police score on every mission and he flew about 15 feet in the air before landing in oncoming traffic :lol:

Yeah, the physics in this game are pretty good, but when they go wonky, the really go - especially when it comes to ragdolling. On the rare occasion you get thrown through your windshield after crashing a car, it's pretty impressive how far you can fly.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Got all the collectibles, purchased all the cars and clothing, and the game seems to have dicked me out of the Part Time Assassin outfit even though I saw it pop up as a reward from one of the lockboxes. Lame as poo poo having "99.9%" of the clothing even though I got the achievement anyway.

Also can't seem to get the last 2 open world events to happen. I've driven around each area of the map over and over again in the daytime and nothing. Last thing I need to do to get the 100% jobs, events, etc. achievement. I've looked at a map of the events and watched a video for the exact locations so I guess I'll try again tomorrow and hope for the best.

This was a pretty awesome game overall though, wish I had played it sooner. I read some posts about how the ending happens too fast with little buildup but I thought it was just fine. The last couple missions were extremely fun with all the upgrades and shoving Big Smile Lee into the ice chipper got a huge laugh from me.

I need like 4 more gold stat awards too, Gambler is going to be a bitch because I'm pretty sure I'm already down 500k and there's no sure strategy for winning at cockfighting.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 13, 2013

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, the physics in this game are pretty good, but when they go wonky, the really go - especially when it comes to ragdolling. On the rare occasion you get thrown through your windshield after crashing a car, it's pretty impressive how far you can fly.

Don't get me started on all the times I jumped off a bike at max speed only to get flung several hundred feet in the air and plummet through several buildings to my death.

The physics in this game truly a thing of beauty.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Duke posted:

I need like 4 more gold stat awards too, Gambler is going to be a bitch because I'm pretty sure I'm already down 500k and there's no sure strategy for winning at cockfighting.

You need to savescum it. Save at the Kennedy Town safe house, drive down and bet 500k on the local cockfight. Reload if you lose, save if you win. It's bullshit, but eh what can you do.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

The Colonel posted:

Don't get me started on all the times I jumped off a bike at max speed only to get flung several hundred feet in the air and plummet through several buildings to my death.

The physics in this game truly a thing of beauty.

The other day I finished a mission by slamming a guys head into the hood of a car. When the mission complete screen came up everything got slow motion-y like when your face meter fills up, and the car and guy went flying like 40 feet backwards. It was so satisfying.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

If the video would have cut off right after he kicked the dude of the scooter, it would have been perfect. It's still a work of art, however :)

Yabanjin
Feb 13, 2007

I AM smiling.
Wow, this game really defied my expectations, and just got better and better as I played it. There aren't any really bad missions at all, great stuff!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It never even occurred to me to park a motorcycle in my apartment. :aaa:

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Am I reading correctly that Year of the Snake adds new collectibles to the main game, or are the collectibles only in the DLC part?

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Bone posted:

Am I reading correctly that Year of the Snake adds new collectibles to the main game, or are the collectibles only in the DLC part?

It adds a beat cop uniform that lets you taze and handcuff people. I can't remember the collectibles very well, but I think they stayed in Year of the Snake. They were pretty disappointing anyway.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
It also adds another set of clothing with an unique ability, which is fun to screw around with.

The ability to tase and handcuff people also extends to any other police outfit as well, but I don't know if need to have YoTS downloaded for it to work since it briefly did earlier in a more limited form before they patched the incomplete version of it out of the game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got this game at release and I've tried a couple of times without success to get it working. I can start the program without problems, but when I actually go into New Game it hits the loading screen and hangs forever. Sometimes the ambient sounds play. If I open the task manager I'm told that HKShip.exe is not responding. I've found a few solutions online--update drivers, delete certain files in the Steam folder, run as administrator, run in compatibility mode--but nothing's worked. Has anyone else had this?

The most annoying part is that I actually was able to play it once or twice shortly after the game came out. Then a patch broke it, or something, I guess.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Okay, I've finally found a solution: run the game in compatibility mode for Windows 95. The audio occasionally stutters, but in general the game runs great.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I gotta say that there's something going weird going on there, because you shouldn't have to go through that drama to get it to run.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If youre using the HD textures try turning them off. Sometimes they cause problems.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So is the popo dlc like a randomly generated cop simulator because that sounds raaaad. I miss this wonderful game.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Year of the Snake quits to the desktop after the beat cop Wei cutscene, is that the entire DLC or what?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
This is currently 50% of on Steam and 67% off on Amazon, but is the Complete DLC pack worth it? It's 2-3 times as much as the game itself, depending on where you buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I kept expecting Smiley Cat to pull off his mask and reveal that he really looks like Wei or something.

• Locked thread