Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MikeJF posted:

Belkar has to not only die, but never get resurrected. I'm betting he goes through the gate and ripped up by the Snarl, destroying his soul. (At Dorukan's Gate Xykon was fried by the wards and never went into the gate itself, so his soul was fine)

Good call. That is a nice echo of the Order of the Scribble too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like Rich has dropped so many hints about Belkar's death through the recent stuff. Undeadification of various kinds, "Can't resurrect those who won't come back" which is relevant especially to Roy threatening to kill him, and yeah the soul destruction stuff hinted at. Plus the Oracle has been shown as a total dick and 'his last breath' was the prophecy, right?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Snarl wasn't around for the Azure City rift, why would it be around a functional Gate to rip Belkar to shreds?

I'm going to make a bold bet: Belkar enters the Snarliverse and ascends to become an actual Sexy Shoeless God of War. Gods don't need to breathe, right?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Or Belkar manages to kill the snarl and gets a bazillion xp, promoting him to godhood instantly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:siren: Update: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0893.html - Closing In.

Looks like Haley got a sending. I bet it's word from the Azurites that Xykon is on the move.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Glory of Arioch posted:

:siren: Update: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0893.html - Closing In.

Looks like Haley got a sending. I bet it's word from the Azurites that Xykon is on the move.

Sendings are audible, aren't they? Also, what strip was the 'on the move' message sent?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

sebmojo posted:

Sendings are audible, aren't they?

Based on the way they've been handled in the comic before, they are only perceived by the person receiving the sending.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Heh, Malack's barely even pretending he's not going to immediately kill Nale after this.

sebmojo posted:

Sendings are audible, aren't they? Also, what strip was the 'on the move' message sent?

I don't believe it was ever on screen, but it was set up here.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah Xykon's arrival is imminent, if there was any doubt before. I have theories but I think they've all already been mentioned so I'm putting all my prediction nerdbux on the longshot Good+Evil teamup vs. The Worst, possibly with some ziggurat siege defense thrown in

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Carrasco posted:

I don't believe it was ever on screen, but it was set up here.
It was in a strip.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0865.html

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

That does not mean none of the people there could hear it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Per this strip (probably a few others, too) it's only the recipient that can hear the message.

Forgot about that, thanks.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

That does not mean none of the people there could hear it.

I thought he didn't know, where the 'on the move' thing was.

In that case
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0733.html

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
I'm a little confused by Nale in this strip; Malack would brutally squash him right? It's just arrogance?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

melon farmer posted:

I'm a little confused by Nale in this strip; Malack would brutally squash him right? It's just arrogance?

Yup. Pretty much everyone from the Order of the Stick could kick Nale's rear end, and Malack is more powerful than any of them. (barring, under the right circumstances, V)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

melon farmer posted:

He probably has some :airquote:genuis plan:airquote: to give him the advantage.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Or an item that fucks up vampires. Remember, he did kill 3 vampires before.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Noah posted:

Or an item that fucks up vampires. Remember, he did kill 3 vampires before.

I doubt those vampires were as powerful as Malack or Durkula. It's not clear how powerful Malack is, but Durkula is around level 15, like the rest of the Order, and has a full array of vampire benefits as well. We know Nale is exactly level 15 (and in a poor class combination), and doesn't have the benefit of a fairly nasty template.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Malack is a lower (actual) level than Durkon. So when malack releases him from thralldom, Durkon will be the stronger of the two. He is effectively a 23 level character in terms of CR and XP gains.

Also was it ever mentioned if the "children" Nale killed were like Durkon, full vampires but thralled, or were they just vampire spawn? I think they were just spawn for a few reasons. First, spawn are way easier to kill than actual vampires, and Malack said that it wasn't so much children he was wanting, but a companion. Malack enjoyed spending time with Durkon. So, I think that he made Durkon a full vampire so that he would retain his memory and personality, to an extent.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 12, 2013

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Malack is a lower (actual) level than Durkon.

I don't think we have anything suggesting an upper bound on Malack's level yet. All we know (I think) is that he's at least 12th level, since he has a custom staff (and therefore Craft Staff).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't think we have anything suggesting an upper bound on Malack's level yet. All we know (I think) is that he's at least 12th level, since he has a custom staff (and therefore Craft Staff).

Or just money to pay someone to make a custom staff.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Well that zap-line didn't do a lot.

I'm going to guess that Xykon shows up and Nale ends up brutally murdered, but Elan learned some important life lessons in fantasy land so he doesn't really care. Tarquin is calling in his old adventuring party buddies and they're going to fight Xykon/Redcloak, almost win, but then the MitD is going to be revealed and he'll stomp everything (gate included).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really doubt Nale is going to die before he gets a chance to murder Tarquin, because Nale is the one person Tarquin is convinced he doesn't have to worry about while he totally wants to be killed by Elan.

Basically in order for him to really lose, he has to get a crappy ignoble death that nobody will care about or remember.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

Or just money to pay someone to make a custom staff.

I can't see Malack going up to another Cleric and asking "Can you make me a staff than create mummies, protects me from daylight, and causes vampires to rise more quickly," but you're correct.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I really doubt Nale is going to die before he gets a chance to murder Tarquin, because Nale is the one person Tarquin is convinced he doesn't have to worry about while he totally wants to be killed by Elan.

Basically in order for him to really lose, he has to get a crappy ignoble death that nobody will care about or remember.

Honestly, no matter how it were to happen, if Tarquin dies here and so does the rest of his party and nobody tells anyone about it, it'll be him failing.

At this phase in his plan, he's just a nobody. If he vanishes, it'll be a non-event to history and the stories.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Malack's definitely at least level 11 though, thanks to being able to cast Harm. No examples of him using any higher level spell slots than that though, so vampire template aside, he's pretty drat far behind everyone else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moddington posted:

Malack's definitely at least level 11 though, thanks to being able to cast Harm. No examples of him using any higher level spell slots than that though, so vampire template aside, he's pretty drat far behind everyone else.

You're assuming that just because we haven't seen them that he doesn't have them, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He admits to being underleveled here.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Moddington posted:

He has to be caster level 12 to have the Create Staff feat. He also has to have the spell slot levels available to put whatever spells he puts in there in it. I would imagine the Vampire creation acceleration would probably be at least a 7th level spell (like Create Undead but not as powerful as Create Greater Undead) which would bring it up to 14. So, I'd bet more on level 12-14 class levels + 8 character levels from the vampire template.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

nimby posted:

Well that zap-line didn't do a lot.

I'm going to guess that Xykon shows up and Nale ends up brutally murdered, but Elan learned some important life lessons in fantasy land so he doesn't really care. Tarquin is calling in his old adventuring party buddies and they're going to fight Xykon/Redcloak, almost win, but then the MitD is going to be revealed and he'll stomp everything (gate included).

My money's still on V showing up and her deal with the fiends figuring in prominently, and Belkar heroically sacrificing himself for the greater good.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Can animals see Sendings? In that last panel, Mr. Scruffy looks just as freaked out as Haley, although he seems to be looking away from the Sending and towards Nale/Malack.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Can animals see Sendings? In that last panel, Mr. Scruffy looks just as freaked out as Haley, although he seems to be looking away from the Sending and towards Nale/Malack.

Pretty sure only the recipient sees the sending. My cat freaks out when a door is opened too quickly. I imagine "undead lizard guy and demonic summons" would be enough to unnerve Mr. Scruffy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
So Haley's look of horror is because she's hearing that Xykon is coming right now, not because they're about to be discovered, yes?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Indeed. Also because that was her Resistance and people who were her friends who have all been slaughtered.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Uranium Phoenix posted:

My money's still on V showing up and her deal with the fiends figuring in prominently, and Belkar heroically sacrificing himself for the greater good.

The fiends already showed up to "fix" the previous storyline, it'd be a bit disappointing if they made a return in the very next storyline. Even though it has been years in real life.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Pretty sure only the recipient sees the sending. My cat freaks out when a door is opened too quickly. I imagine "undead lizard guy and demonic summons" would be enough to unnerve Mr. Scruffy.

Especially since Belkar was beaten up by said undead lizard guy and Mr. Scruffy tried to attack him before.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

nimby posted:

The fiends already showed up to "fix" the previous storyline, it'd be a bit disappointing if they made a return in the very next storyline. Even though it has been years in real life.

It hasn't been years since V went on hir little bender. It's been like a month, max.

Edit: Oh wait, REAL life. ahaha yeah okay

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
The fiends don't want the Snarl to get loose, right? If the world is unmade, then there's no conflict for them. The Fiends are on the good guy's side right now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

But Quarl, however ineptly, was trying maneuver V away from the rest of the Order. Granted, he coupld be playing Briar Imp or something, but he's never seemed to be that cleer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

:siren: OOTS #894: The Last Room :siren:

Where in the hell is this going, Burlew? :psyduck: I know there were some joke predictions about this at the beginning of their arrival at the pyramid, but hopefully V or someone will stumble upon the real gate.