Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I guess I'm the only one to say Yoshi's pretty fun with another player. Yeah there are like a dozen better options, but it's not a terrible game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Are you familiar with the Kaz Ayabe's other games, Boku no Natsuyasumi? I've never played them but they have a cult following and seem to trade heavily on nostalgia in a similar way to Friday Monsters, so I'm just curious to know whether this game compares unfavourably to his other games in that respect.

I've never played them, but I know of them.
They're sort of like Animal Crossing except with people and nostalgia-invoking Japanese rural settings, aren't they?
They looked interesting but I knew they'd just go unplayed among my dismaying pile of untouched classics.

I also see they're responsible for some graphic work on Konami's Magician's Quest series, which I thought was pretty much a straight rip on Animal Crossing.

Friday Monsters just didn't measure up at all for me.
The story's entirely too short and I suspect confusing to people who aren't familiar with Japanese cultural cues and cliches.
I grew up in that time and place, but it failed to strike a nostalgic chord.
It just amounts to a JRPG without battles, and a pretty tedious one at that.

Also, there's no PvP mode, so you're stuck playing against NPCs with your monster cards.
Since the battle system is little more than your rock-paper-scissors, there's little satisfaction to be gained in winning.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

irlZaphod posted:

It's honestly ridiculous that the Wii VC library didn't carry over to the WiiU.

I have no idea what kind of voodoo magic they need to so to get them as a WiiU VC title, but at least you can play them in Wii Mode immediately which is a step up above PS4 and Xbox which will have zero backwards compatibility.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Astro7x posted:

I have no idea what kind of voodoo magic they need to so to get them as a WiiU VC title, but at least you can play them in Wii Mode immediately which is a step up above PS4 and Xbox which will have zero backwards compatibility.

If the Wii U can play the Wii VC games in Wii mode, then all it would take for those VC games to be on Wii U proper is a software update by Nintendo.

They may not want to do that though so they can make you buy new things or some other :tinfoil: I dunno

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Zaphod42 posted:

If the Wii U can play the Wii VC games in Wii mode, then all it would take for those VC games to be on Wii U proper is a software update by Nintendo.

They may not want to do that though so they can make you buy new things or some other :tinfoil: I dunno

There needs to be a Mii Channel, data management and SD card menu specifically for Wii software, which could potentially be confusing to have in the Wii U menu, but I don't see why they couldn't give Wii-relevant icons a border that was clearly labelled "Wii", and keep them all in their own folder on the home screen.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I emailed HAL Laboratory about getting Lolo on the 3DS eShop and finally got a response back! And it's in English that is probably as broken as the auto-translated Japanese I sent them. They said no, but the response was so adorable that I can't be too mad about it. My favorite part is how it feels like they're shouting the titles of the game at me so as to make the games seem more epic.

quote:

Dear [Unoriginal],

Thank you very much for your e-mail.

We're very honored to hear that you favor ADVENTURES OF LOLO
and are also very encouraged by your comment.
Unfortunately, there's no plan to have ADVENTURES OF LOLO
available at 3DS eShop so far.
We'd like to introduce Virtual Console for Wii where you can
purchase ADVENTURES OF LOLO or ADVENTURES OF LOLO2 as alternatives.
If you already have this information, we're sorry for not being
able to help you for this matter.

Our biggest delight is to hear from customers that they have enjoyed
out product. We truly appreciate your support all the time!

Sincerely,
HAL Laboratory, Inc.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if I bought Etrian Odyssey on the eshop before I linked my Club Nintendo account, am I hosed? No clue how to get the PIN for coins or whatever.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Unoriginal posted:

I emailed HAL Laboratory about getting Lolo on the 3DS eShop and finally got a response back! And it's in English that is probably as broken as the auto-translated Japanese I sent them. They said no, but the response was so adorable that I can't be too mad about it. My favorite part is how it feels like they're shouting the titles of the game at me so as to make the games seem more epic.

That's pretty awesome and actually that English is pretty drat good.

Ugh re-release Adventures of Lolo 3 already, I already beat the first two and that's the hard to find one! I'm always amazed at puzzle games like Lolo and how the level designers manage to create them, especially when I get stuck on little red herring nonsolutions and I KNOW* they designed the level that way on purpose!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Still, it was cool of them to write back to you, a lot of studios/publishers don't bother.

I guess the best alternative is Mole Mania, or Solomon's Key if/when that shows up.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

MinibarMatchman posted:

if I bought Etrian Odyssey on the eshop before I linked my Club Nintendo account, am I hosed? No clue how to get the PIN for coins or whatever.

Try contacting Nintendo support about it. I've heard they're pretty cool about helping people out in cases like this.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Still, it was cool of them to write back to you, a lot of studios/publishers don't bother.

I guess the best alternative is Mole Mania, or Solomon's Key if/when that shows up.

I didn't mean to sound like their email didn't totally make my night. It did. I just pictured someone like Iwata reading it to me and it made it adorable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of June 13):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario & Yoshi (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 from June 12
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Art of Fighting 3: Path of the Warrior (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Spelunker (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.39 until June 13
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until June 27
    Super Metroid (SNES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until June 14

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf (June 14) - €39.99 / £34.99
    Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns - €29.99 / £24.99
    Petz Fantasy 3D - €19.99 / £17.99
3DS eSHOP
    4 Elements - €12.00 / £10.79
    Luxor - €11.99 / £24.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Columns (Sega Game Gear) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Sega Game Gear) - €2.99 / £2.69
    Shining Force: Sword of Hajya (Sega Game Gear) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Game Gear) - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 20
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 20

Sega's finally coming good with those Game Gear games! All four of 'em are pretty good, too. It's also worth pointing out that M2'S GG VC releases support link cable features via local wireless, unlike Game Boy.

On Mario & Yoshi: "This is the US version of the game with the European title screen". What?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

On Mario & Yoshi: "This is the US version of the game with the European title screen". What?

Need that NTSC version for high level Yoshi play! And they changed the title screen because it has a different name in Europe.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's an unusual degree of tinkering with the ROM, but self-explanatory.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

elf help book posted:

Need that NTSC version for high level Yoshi play! And they changed the title screen because it has a different name in Europe.

Yeah, I get that much, it just seems like a whole heap of unnecessary effort. That's our Nintendo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Releasing Yoshi at all is too much effort for Yoshi.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
At least it's not Yoshi's Cookie.

I think they keep re-releasing Yoshi because it was an early Satoshi Tajiri game, but really, I have no idea.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mario & Yoshi was actually one of the games I was excited to find out were part of the 3DS Ambassador titles. I always had a soft spot for it for some reason, even though so many better puzzle games exist.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That makes sense, I assume they keep releasing Balloon Fight because of Iwata.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess the other reason is that they don't wanna give away Dr. Mario because it's something people are more likely to pay full price for.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Annoyed that we are already two SNES games behind NOA but all they can put up this week is the monthly 30c promo game.
Unless there is news in tomorrows Direct, but I doubt that'll happen.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
For a second I was excited to see that Nintendo was importing Mario & Wario.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA is finally getting Picross-e this week, it'll set you back $5.99.

Columns, Mean Bean Machine and Shining Force are listed, too.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

About drat time!
Guess I'll be grabbing it alongside MSF2.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

My broken Japanese email writing campaign is paying off! But seriously, that is amazing news and I can't wait to buy it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't have a 3DS registered with Club Nintendo.

If I download Animal Crossing today will it automatically register or can I delay that until July and earn 60 coins for next year?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

If I download Animal Crossing today will it automatically register or can I delay that until July and earn 60 coins for next year?
You'll have to complete a survey before it registers the coins for you. I think at this point, the survey will expire past the end of June, so you can just wait until July to do the survey, and earn the coins for next year.

Just make sure your eShop account is linked with your Club Nintendo account.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

You should be okay:

Nintendo.com FAQ posted:

Do Surveys Expire?
Answer:

Yes. Product Registration surveys for physical games registered via PIN expire after 7 days. Product Registration surveys for digital games, when offered, expire after 30 days. Post-play surveys expire after 120 days. Please review the date listed next to the survey in your To-Do list to ensure that you take the survey before it expires.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/club/en/faq.jsp

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Well this is a shock. So Capcom decides to celebrate Megaman in Smash Bros by release MM2, 3 and 4 on Wii U VC. So if you want some more Megaman well there ya go.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

GameboyHero posted:

Well this is a shock. So Capcom decides to celebrate Megaman in Smash Bros by release MM2, 3 and 4 on Wii U VC. So if you want some more Megaman well there ya go.

Glad I held off on grabbing any of the ones past MM2 on the 3DS. I've been enjoying Mega Man X on the Wii U this week, so maybe I'll move onto MM3 when I'm done.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Megaman 2, 3 and 4 are available on the Wii U VC, and Megaman 6 is available on the 3DS VC. No idea if the Wii U VC has any sort of discount going on, anyone wanna check?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Megaman 2, 3 and 4 are available on the Wii U VC, and Megaman 6 is available on the 3DS VC. No idea if the Wii U VC has any sort of discount going on, anyone wanna check?

None that I see, just the regular discounts for buying games you already own on the Wii VC.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hopefully they'll release Mega Man 6 on the Wii U as well, it's the only Mega Man game I'd consider buying digitally because the original is so drat expensive but I don't want to play it on a handheld. In a perfect world Nintendo would have implemented cross-system play though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Next week's JP VC releases, for those who care: Yie-Air Kung Fu (3DS/NES), Tsuppori Ozumo (3DS/NES, Tecmo sumo game), Super Mario Kart (Wii U/SNES).

I was gonna do an eShop-related E3 summary but they didn't really announce a whole lot - there's an Art Academy Miiverse app coming to Wii U as a primer for a full retail game, and Namco is releasing a digital Pacman collection for both Wii U and 3DS that includes Pacman CE and Pacman Battle Royale, and that's pretty much it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

:toot:

Finally! First day purchase for sure.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If that Pacman set includes Pacmania I'll be all over it.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

Megaman 6 is available on the 3DS VC.

Not for me. I can't wait for it, though. I only played the first three as a kid, and only a little of 1, but I've just been devouring them. The activity log says I've put a combined eighty-three and a half hours into the first five. I figure I'll have just enough time to get 6 down pat before I finally get sick of Mega Man.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I can't believe they haven't released anything for E3 (yet), like a surprise Pikmin 3/Mario&Luigi 4 demo. It's such an easy thing to do and build some hype. That whole Best Buy demo scheme is just absurd, release them on the e-shop and give people a reason to dust off their consoles for once. Also, not everyone lives in the USA!

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 12, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

I was gonna do an eShop-related E3 summary but they didn't really announce a whole lot - there's an Art Academy Miiverse app coming to Wii U as a primer for a full retail game, and Namco is releasing a digital Pacman collection for both Wii U and 3DS that includes Pacman CE and Pacman Battle Royale, and that's pretty much it.
Bah, right after I buy PacMan/Galaga Dimensions! Guess I'll try selling that, unless they really bork the new version somehow. Pacman as a digital title is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Katana Gomai posted:

I can't believe they haven't released anything for E3 (yet), like a surprise Pikmin 3/Mario&Luigi 4 demo. It's such an easy thing to do and build some hype. That whole Best Buy demo scheme is just absurd, release them on the e-shop and give people a reason to dust off their consoles for once. Also, not everyone lives in the USA!

The point of the Best Buy displays is not to sell consoles to people who already have them. :ssh: