Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

fookolt posted:

Yeah, this laptop isn't going to be my main; I just want something to read and write on (and maybe play an indie game when my girlfriend kicks me off my desktop so she can crunch stats). It would be amazing to just take a laptop to write notes at work instead of having to decipher my lovely chicken scratch from my 30th notepad for the week; that's basically the primary use for it.

Thanks for all the insights, everyone. It's really helpful.

Just want to add in that I've been using a(n old as poo poo) 13" MBA but compared to the 11" I've tried it is much more comfortable for extended typing. For your purposes an 11" might work just fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fookolt posted:

Yeah, this laptop isn't going to be my main; I just want something to read and write on (and maybe play an indie game when my girlfriend kicks me off my desktop so she can crunch stats). It would be amazing to just take a laptop to write notes at work instead of having to decipher my lovely chicken scratch from my 30th notepad for the week; that's basically the primary use for it.

Thanks for all the insights, everyone. It's really helpful.

To be safe, I'd still recommend the 13" but that's maybe just me. The negatives to the 11's size savings just far outweigh the pros IMO.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Thanks for the advice; I'll definitely keep this in mind when I try them out. Ergonomics, especially for longer typing sessions, is really important.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Molten Llama posted:

That was my thought as well. Apple also doesn't like their larger suppliers to feel irreplaceable. Slapping a competing GPU in your flagship machine is certainly one way to drive that home.

IMHO don't expect FirePros to be the only option when they finally start to ship. It'd to be Apple's advantage to show they're serious by offering nVidia as an option. They might even want to sell GTX 680s for those who want consumer level cards (EVGA just sent me an email that their Mac 680 cards are now shipping.)

quote:

And all the better if you can get that hardware out to developers like Blackmagic and make the new hardware scream in the mean time.

Very encouraging to see that Apple is working directly with at least one outside vendor to make sure their product works.

It should also be remembered that ATI has had a longer relationship with Apple, ever since the days of Beige G3s from 1997, and as far as I know has had a dedicated Mac Engineering group doing driver ports, firmware, 3D drivers, etc. I'm fairly sure nVidia still doesn't have a dedicated Mac team, and that Apple still hires 3rd parties to develop drivers and firmware whenever a new generation of nVidia cards come out or are introduced into a Mac computer. It's why when RobArt of BareFeats tests Core Image on GPUs, ATI cards always come out on top initially, then nVidia cards get their drivers / firmware tweaked and then it's more even on the next test.

Internet
May 27, 2004
Behold!!!
I took back my 15 inch rMBP in December because the frame dropping and stuttering in the OS bothered me. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to stick it out and wait for the updated rMBP or jump on the MBA train. I'm in game development and I'm looking for a that handles that for a few years, at least. I'm not doing heavy 3D work or anything. I'm making 2D games and doing some Audio Work (Pro Tools). Also I'd like to be able to play DOTA and Starcraft while I'm away from my desktop. I originally thought I needed to wait for Haswell in the rMPB but it seems like the new MBA could suit my needs if I spring for some of the upgrades (8gb ram, i7).

tl;dr: Can I run Photoshop, Unity3D (think small indie games, not intensive 3D poo poo), and Pro Tools well on the new MBA?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Internet posted:

I took back my 15 inch rMBP in December because the frame dropping and stuttering in the OS bothered me. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to stick it out and wait for the updated rMBP or jump on the MBA train. I'm in game development and I'm looking for a that handles that for a few years, at least. I'm not doing heavy 3D work or anything. I'm making 2D games and doing some Audio Work (Pro Tools). Also I'd like to be able to play DOTA and Starcraft while I'm away from my desktop. I originally thought I needed to wait for Haswell in the rMPB but it seems like the new MBA could suit my needs if I spring for some of the upgrades (8gb ram, i7).

tl;dr: Can I run Photoshop, Unity3D (think small indie games, not intensive 3D poo poo), and Pro Tools well on the new MBA?

Yes. Hard drive space may become a problem though, unless you're disciplined about moving assets (from old projects) to an external hard drive.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I waited for WWDC to see if any rMBP's came out. Since they didn't, I decided to get a refurb 15" retina. In the end, I got a much higher spec machine for a lot less money than that of a new machine.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Has anyone who ordered the new Macbook Air got a shipping notice yet? I'm in Norway so maybe they haven't received it from HQ. Anyone in Europe or with a keyboard other than english got it?

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Mine's still being processed (East Coast USA). I imagine anyone who ordered BTO will be waiting a few days. I was at the fruit stand at lunch yesterday and they were literally unpacking them upstairs and were ready for sale. Unfortunately my config isn't at retail, but it does seem like today is the day all of the stock configs are officially supposed to be on sale. My order still shows it as being delivered by next Tuesday.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Kenshirou posted:

Mine's still being processed (East Coast USA). I imagine anyone who ordered BTO will be waiting a few days. I was at the fruit stand at lunch yesterday and they were literally unpacking them upstairs and were ready for sale. Unfortunately my config isn't at retail, but it does seem like today is the day all of the stock configs are officially supposed to be on sale. My order still shows it as being delivered by next Tuesday.

Same here, also BTO.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kenshirou posted:

Same here. I ordered it on launch day but swung by the Apple Store yesterday to see if they had my BTO config in stock (13" maxed out essentially) and they didn't. I asked a manager friend that works there when they'd be getting them (I used to work there) and she said probably sometime next week.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
It's probably a week or more until I get mine then. The displayport-thunderbolt and hdmi-thunderbolt cables I ordered will get here first then. My F5 button gets some excercise at least :f5h::sigh:

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
:f5:ing my order too. I really don't get the customization since it would have been much simpler to have 1.3GHz/4GB and 1.7GHz/8GB RAM for each model. I don't think too many people are going to get 1.3GHz/8GB or 1.7GHz/4GB, but maybe I'm just out of touch since I feel like you're either going entry-level or top of the line with the Air.

Also is anyone even getting the 512GB upgrade?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I got the 1.3GHz/8 GB with 256 GB SSD. I think more memory is better than a bit faster CPU, and the CPU upgrade was too expensive. The price for the 512 GB update is crazy though. I'll do fine with 256 GB on the laptop, dropbox/google drive/whatever and a desktop with 4 free HDD slots.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
When I ordered my air it said it would arrive in about 7 days, would be available in store in 8 to 9. I have not yet gotten a shipping notice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought my MacBook Pro and i'm in love with the computer. :) I've only ever put up with cheap lovely laptops that break easily and look like Fisher Price toys for adults. This is my second Mac but first laptop i've gotten from Apple. I know a lot of people who just throw them into backpacks and carry them everywhere, and they've all said these laptops have held up incredibly well with no issues whatsoever despite taking a beating; that was the biggest thing that drew me to Apples laptops, and my most important criteria for buying a laptop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kenshirou posted:

:f5:ing my order too. I really don't get the customization since it would have been much simpler to have 1.3GHz/4GB and 1.7GHz/8GB RAM for each model. I don't think too many people are going to get 1.3GHz/8GB or 1.7GHz/4GB, but maybe I'm just out of touch since I feel like you're either going entry-level or top of the line with the Air.

I could see myself going i5/8gb for my next Air (if a new rMBP doesn't do it for me or arrive soon enough). The Sandy Bridge i5 in my 2011 has been more than capable for my needs but I constantly keep hitting the RAM limit with my ridiculous habit of leaving 50 browser tabs and multiple music players open at a time. Also battery life is gonna be a way bigger priority than power.

The 512gb upgrade is too rich for me, tho- but I've gotten so used to being thrifty with the 128gb on my current Air that 256 are going to feel palatial. I might even throw a Windows partition on it! And maybe a couple of Steam games! Hoo hoo, look at me, I'm Mr. Big Stuff with all the drive space in the world!

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I bought my MacBook Pro and i'm in love with the computer. :) I've only ever put up with cheap lovely laptops that break easily and look like Fisher Price toys for adults. This is my second Mac but first laptop i've gotten from Apple. I know a lot of people who just throw them into backpacks and carry them everywhere, and they've all said these laptops have held up incredibly well with no issues whatsoever despite taking a beating; that was the biggest thing that drew me to Apples laptops, and my most important criteria for buying a laptop.

This was my reason for buying the Air. The non-mac laptops I looked at and had decent specs cost about the same as the Air. It's durable and not butt-ugly as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Selklubber posted:

This was my reason for buying the Air. The non-mac laptops I looked at and had decent specs cost about the same as the Air. It's durable and not butt-ugly as well.

That and all of the new ones are coming with just Windows 8 now. I'm a long time Windows user, since win3.1 even, but Win8 is repulsive and the last thing i'm doing with a $1000 computer, is change operating systems the second I take it out of the box, and then have to gently caress with finding new drivers.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Selklubber posted:

Yeah I laugh at the people who say Windows laptops are cheaper, because similarly specced ultrabooks are basically the same exact price as the Air and comparatively worse.

You can probably get a Haswell with the HD 5000 in the near future for $500, but not with the durability, portability and usability of the Air. Resale value is also definitely a thing.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

I said come in! posted:

That and all of the new ones are coming with just Windows 8 now. I'm a long time Windows user, since win3.1 even, but Win8 is repulsive and the last thing i'm doing with a $1000 computer, is change operating systems the second I take it out of the box, and then have to gently caress with finding new drivers.

I don't know what computer you bought but Windows 8 does a pretty good job of auto-updating drivers, including GPU drivers from AMD/nVidia, so really all you have to do is open up Windows Update and it show you anything without having to hunt anything down. Despite a lot of the negative feedback they still did manage to do a lot of good changes under the hood you don't really notice unless you deal with fixing computers all day I guess. Unfortunately that all goes out the window when a major UI change that doesn't align with any of those improvements is kinda just there for no reason.

I got an Asus N56VZ that is really well-spec'd for the price, but yeah, the reason I'm back on Mac notebooks is precisely the reason most folks are posting about. The build quality and experience is just a thousand times better, and yeah it sucks sometimes you can't get exactly what you want in the hardware but ultimately using an Air is the most comfortable I've been using a mobile device outside of tablets/phones.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How does the BTO i7 compare to the i5 on the Haswell Airs in terms of performance and battery life? Its clock speed is notably similar to last year's model, compared to the big power cut in the i5. Is it safe to assume that the hyped up "12 hour" battery life will be much less fantabulous in a fully kitted-out Air?

The 2012 model saw a 10-20 minute drop in battery life depending on 11" or 13" and depending on low or high stress use scenarios, but the clock speeds between the i5 and i7 weren't quite as large as they are between the 2013 options.
http://ark.intel.com/compare/75114,75028,64903,64898

There's also been a teardown which shows that the increased battery life isn't just from more efficient parts, it's also due to a larger battery, so the higher end cpu might be the difference between 10:30 hours of light usage and 10:10 hours of light usage. http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/11/teardown-of-new-mid-2013-macbook-air-reveals-smaller-ssd-increased-battery-capacity/

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Honestly the only bad thing with Windows 8 is the Metro UI, there is lots of other small stuff that's improved. Searching for settings will mix Metro and normal UI settings and that's hosed. They will fix most of it with the 8.1 update.
I'll be using OS X for the first time soon, that's going to be confusing the first few days!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Selklubber posted:

Honestly the only bad thing with Windows 8 is the Metro UI, there is lots of other small stuff that's improved. Searching for settings will mix Metro and normal UI settings and that's hosed. They will fix most of it with the 8.1 update.
I'll be using OS X for the first time soon, that's going to be confusing the first few days!

I've been reading about the changes and I might give Win8 a second chance when 8.1 comes out. OSX was pretty confusing to me too for the first few days when I was using it on a Mac Mini. But after that it was smooth sailing.

Also, this is probably not a big deal to anyone else in this thread, but the trackpad on the MBP is the best thing ever in the world to me. I've never touched a trackpad before that was this great to use.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Also, this is probably not a big deal to anyone else in this thread, but the trackpad on the MBP is the best thing ever in the world to me. I've never touched a trackpad before that was this great to use.

It's the biggest deal and we all know it. :)

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The touchpad is the same on the Air and Pro right? Maybe I don't have to buy a mouse then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Selklubber posted:

The touchpad is the same on the Air and Pro right? Maybe I don't have to buy a mouse then.

I thought I would be wanting to use a mouse, but once I got use to the trackpad? No way. You lose so much functionality and speed with using a mouse. Once you get use to Apple trackpad, it is actually much faster.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Selklubber posted:

Yep. And you probably won't unless you're gonna pop it on a desk with a second display.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I said come in! posted:

I thought I would be wanting to use a mouse, but once I got use to the trackpad? No way. You lose so much functionality and speed with using a mouse. Once you get use to Apple trackpad, it is actually much faster.

It's not as precise. It's worth it for a lot of people to carry around a mouse (not me, though)

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
When I use Macs I don't use mice unless I absolutely need one. Everything feels natural and my hands never feel uncomfortable doing lots of different gestures.

Anyone else order an Airport Extreme? Since the Air has ac I decided I HAD to get one. Can't wait to not have lovely wifi at home (still using stock Actiontec that came with my FIOS.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

No, it is a big deal and it totally is the best thing ever. It's just too bad the company they bought up for the IP had to stop making their multi-touch/multi-gesture keyboards.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The Sandy Bridge i5 in my 2011 has been more than capable for my needs but I constantly keep hitting the RAM limit with my ridiculous habit of leaving 50 browser tabs and multiple music players open at a time.
Did you upgrade your system RAM to 16 GB? I found that made a big difference in my 2011 MBP (Sandy Bridge i5 as well).

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

zeroprime posted:

The 2012 model saw a 10-20 minute drop in battery life depending on 11" or 13" and depending on low or high stress use scenarios, but the clock speeds between the i5 and i7 weren't quite as large as they are between the 2013 options.
Yeah, I ordered the i7 upgrade but I'm a little concerned about battery life as well. Hopefully the extra speed doesn't lower the battery by too much...

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
We'll see more solid benches later this week but I would expect a very minimal loss of battery life due to the larger battery and the advances in the ULT Haswell. Most of the time you won't be using Turbo Boost anyways, so unless you're doing stuff constantly for like 6 hours I suspect Apple's claims should align very close with the i7 as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Did you upgrade your system RAM to 16 GB? I found that made a big difference in my 2011 MBP (Sandy Bridge i5 as well).

Considering I have an Air- no. :shobon:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Selklubber posted:

I love the touchpad and think it's the best thing ever, but my wife likes the new magic mouse. Finger gestures on the surface of a mouse is a strange concept, but she uses it constantly. Or you can just plug in any old PC mouse, and it will work the way you expect it to. It's nice to have options.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kenshirou posted:

I did, but I'm kind of regretting it now. Oh well. I just recently popped a 256 GB SSD that was previously in my desktop into the Late 2008 MacBook Pro that this'll be replacing, too. That one is limited to SATA I because of the stupid MCP79 bug though.

Preparing for shipment! :dance: :f5:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I wonder if Apple will let that gift message go by :)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Binary Badger posted:

I wonder if Apple will let that gift message go by :)

I did it as a joke to show a friend of mine and now I can't change it :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Preparing for shipment! :dance: :f5:

Sooooo jealous. Still just processing here. I've survived off 128GB before so 256GB is more than enough. This will be the first computer in a while that I've locally stored my music on.