Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hey most of the characters are wearing things relatively close to actual clothes. Kid Noctis was wearing a plain old zip up jumper.

Compare that poo poo to...well anyone's outfit in FFX/XII/XIII

I heard that the outfits were originally designed by Nomura but then they got redesigned by actual fashion designers, so now they're wearing something a little more realistic. He's still kinda bland with his little gang of people dressed all in black in my opinion, but I really like the red soles on his shoes. Its a nice touch of colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Here's hoping that means customization so I can personally make my own Nomura abomination :unsmigghh:

It's happening. The moons have aligned, the rhyme and rhythms are tight, TWEWY Nomura has awakened.
I thought Nomura was only the artist. I'll be fine with 15 being the second coming of TWEWY though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nah from what I recall Nomura was supposed to be the director of Vs 13 but he kept on being dragged off to other projects because SE's management is a mess.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity customization would fit FF15 wonderfully.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

There are a few sequences with definite QTEs, such as killing the iron giant with his own sword.

Actually I'm not sure. It looked like it, but I'm really curious about what the "Link Form" command in the lower left hand corner represented. During at least one combinations attack like the iron giant sword thing (when the gun dude and Noctus high fived and then gun dude shot a dude) the Link Form command did seem to flash or something right after it was done.

I wonder if they're sort of like the dual techs from Chrono Trigger, with each enemy types getting unique ones that you can use against them in combination with various party members. That'd be pretty cool.

Alternatively, Link Form is your class/weapon select for Noctus.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Funny thing. Nomura is capable of really good character designs. He made it happen in FF7. While technical limitations prevented any of that game's artists from going too nuts to begin with, the characters themselves are still recognizably Nomura's in terms of his overall aesthetic sense, and at the time were fairly original (it was only after FF7 that everything in it became a massive cliche). They're designs that are extremely functional, though -- everyone's got their own color palette and distinctive shape. The characters in FF9, though by a different artist and clearly belonging to a different setting, are just as good for the exact same reasons.

If you recall, right after FF7 he did Parasite Eve, where everyone was dressed sensibly. FF8's designs were alright, but the move to realistic proportions and the need to make every character a generically attractive teenager hurt the silhouette factor. And then, in FF10, he started going off the deep end. Legend has it that Lulu's infamous belt-dress was specifically designed to troll the cinematics department, but something must have just snapped in the dude's mind that day, and from it has poured fourth Disney characters wrapped like mummies in leather belts, lederhosen sportswear, string bikini/pirate bandana/comfy winter scarf ensembles, and whatever the gently caress it is that Lightning is wearing in Returns, i dont even know

Red Bones posted:

I heard that the outfits were originally designed by Nomura but then they got redesigned by actual fashion designers, so now they're wearing something a little more realistic.

Never heard that one, but some part of me (the part that loves Yuna's original design and finds Fang's sari/gym-wear combination actually kind of cool) hopes that it really was Nomura all along and that he's come to his senses. Because Square-Enix sure is stuck with him, one way or another. :v:

ed. Oh, so, these people.

Noct, Dad, big muscle guy (probably cool), wisecrackey punk dude (probably intended to be hilarious), guy who thinks mohawks and glasses go together (probably a rival), utterly generic action game guy (probably angry, like he is in the ten billion other games you play as him), Ezio, evil priest guy (probably turns into something), femme fatale, grizzled veteran (at least 19 years old), smug old guy, obvious love interest.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 12, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
From what I could tell of the gameplay video, it looked like the low-left field of the UI showed a bunch of swords you switched between depending on your attack.

What are the odds this is the class-system and it's like Final Fantasy V with class switching on the fly depending on what sword you wield? :allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mordaedil posted:

What are the odds this is the class-system and it's like Final Fantasy V with class switching on the fly depending on what sword you wield? :allears:

That'd be sort of similar to the way roles are juggled on the fly in the XIII games, so I would imagine that they want to get away from that (or not). Still, it does look like the three party members are passing weapons between themselves, which is neat to watch. Kind of funny, also; it seems like "walk up behind comrade, put hand on shoulder, pull them away/shoot what's attacking them" is a specific move they can use. It does make me think of skills in FFs of old that have party members set up to block damage from those lower in health.

Noct's barrier/teleport flashes, though, are kind of hard on the eyes. I hope they tone that down just a bit for the final product.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I have no idea how the heck this is gonna get played, unless its a very automated experience.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Final Fantasy XV looks like a very fun game to play. And it looks fantastic, visually. I'm pretty pumped for the gam in a way I did not expect.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So... do we have a release date for XV? They they say 2014 at some point? Did they even use the word "release," ever?

It's... it's going to be stuck in limbo again, isn't it. :ohdear:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Krad posted:

So... do we have a release date for XV? They they say 2014 at some point? Did they even use the word "release," ever?

Almost certainly. Kingdom Hearts 3 too.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

As I mentioned earlier, they aren't going to release 3.33 FFs in a single quarter(XIV, XV, XIII-3 and X/X-2). So, obviously it won't come out this year... I'm guessing fall of '14.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krad posted:

I'd wager you'll get one more E3 of footage to spend with your dad eating green soup before something truly terrible happens*.

*Dry cleaner doesn't set the starch level to "Load Bearing"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Krad posted:

Considering they've rebranded it into a main title, at least it HAS to actually be released.

Sometime. :v:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Lightning Returns comes out beginning of next year, so I would go so far as guessing December 2014 at the earliest.

I wonder if Lightning Returns does badly since it's coming out months after the new consoles.

quote:

Final Fantasy XV looks like a very fun game to play. And it looks fantastic, visually. I'm pretty pumped for the gam in a way I did not expect.

When I first saw it, it looked like Devil May Cry and I completely wrote it off. Once the expanded gameplay trailer hit the net, I was sold.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Lightning Returns comes out beginning of next year, so I would go so far as guessing December 2014 at the earliest.

I wonder if Lightning Returns does badly since it's coming out months after the new consoles.

They shouldn't really impact its sales all that much. Unless something completely unexpected happen the install base for new consoles probably won't be anywhere near the install base for the current gen. In a year or so it would definitely hurt it though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If it does badly it isn't because of that. People don't get rid of their old consoles the second a new one comes out.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

When I first saw it, it looked like Devil May Cry and I completely wrote it off. Once the expanded gameplay trailer hit the net, I was sold.

Well, the Leviathan trailer did remind me of DmC, what will all that teleporting around and the level broken up in different pieces and all...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mazed posted:

guy who thinks mohawks and glasses go together (probably a rival)

We saw this guy in the 2011 trailer. He's your driver (and seems fairly cool).

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Krad posted:

Well, the Leviathan trailer did remind me of DmC, what will all that teleporting around and the level broken up in different pieces and all...

All Noctis had to do was get into an expletive shout match with Leviathan for it to be complete.

"gently caress youuuuuu, Leviathan!"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here's an interesting dissection of the trailer. Very gif heavy.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Terper posted:

We saw this guy in the 2011 trailer. He's your driver (and seems fairly cool).

I swear that dude looks just like Travis Touchdown.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I just watched the FFX"V" trailer, and I have to say that I'm pretty torn by it. I can't dispute that the game looks pretty awesome, and I'm likely to play / buy it. The song on the trailer was one of the better FF mock-opera tunes in quite some time and the dynamic of jumping around all over the place looks fun.

That said, I feel like something has been lost from the series that we might not get back. I got into the series and have always enjoyed the more tactical, menu-driven game play that was focused on making the right choices and being thoughtful / deconstructing the battle system. It remains to be seen whether this will be differentiated from other action games and maintains the strategic element of resource management in battle (the resource management out of battle was given up for dead so long ago that I've given up hope).

Short version: looks good, and a game that should be made, but I would have felt better about it if it was a side-game like DoC rather than a "main-line" game.

I'm not really sure how you can call previous parts of the serious tactical and requiring 'deconstruction of the battle system' when they were all, uh, kinda trivial? Final Fantasies aren't hard unless you're doing some kind of absurd self-imposed challenge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Francois Kofko posted:

I'm not really sure how you can call previous parts of the serious tactical and requiring 'deconstruction of the battle system' when they were all, uh, kinda trivial? Final Fantasies aren't hard unless you're doing some kind of absurd self-imposed challenge.

I don't like to admit it but this is the truth. You only needed to exploit FF's battle systems when and if you wanted to break the game in half (some were easier than others, with FFVIII being on the far end of the scale as it essentially comes to you pre-broken).

I don't even remember a JRPG I've played recently where resource management was an issue, outside of roguelikes and maybe SMT: Nocturne (which is essentially a roguelike anyway). In all other games I would max out my supply of every item and cackle like a mad king atop my mountain of healing doodads that I would never, ever use, even if my life depended on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of RPGs are poo poo about resource management which is why most of them are moving away from it. The absolute smartest thing both Kingdom Hearts and FF did was move to a cooldown-based system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I don't like to admit it but this is the truth. You only needed to exploit FF's battle systems when and if you wanted to break the game in half (some were easier than others, with FFVIII being on the far end of the scale as it essentially comes to you pre-broken).

I don't even remember a JRPG I've played recently where resource management was an issue, outside of roguelikes and maybe SMT: Nocturne (which is essentially a roguelike anyway). In all other games I would max out my supply of every item and cackle like a mad king atop my mountain of healing doodads that I would never, ever use, even if my life depended on it.

Yeah there is precisely one place I use items, and that is final boss battles. I often don't even need to but it's like, "I have all these Megalixirs, I really should use a least one..."

As someone who just started VIII, the Junction system is really super cool but I feel like I'm going to become an unstoppable monster even sooner than most FF games. Right now though I'm just really intrigued by all the customization possibilities. Oh and Triple Triad is sick.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Riviera gave you a total of sixteen item slots for every single thing you had. Medicine, weapons, Key items, etc. Use it or toss it, suckers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pureauthor posted:

Riviera gave you a total of sixteen item slots for every single thing you had. Medicine, weapons, Key items, etc. Use it or toss it, suckers.

Riviera was also just the worst though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

I want to be excited for XV, I really do, but I just do not like action RPGs, never have. I know we don't know any specifics about XV's battle system but I remain pessimistic. It looks neat, but if it's a real-time battle system I'm just not going to enjoy playing it.

I know, I know, I'm weird. I'll just sit in the corner with my Dragon Quests.

It's not weird, but you are probably right. If you dislike real-time action RPGs that much then FF XV's battle system probably won't appeal to you regardless of that system's details.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mazed posted:

Funny thing. Nomura is capable of really good character designs. He made it happen in FF7. While technical limitations prevented any of that game's artists from going too nuts to begin with, the characters themselves are still recognizably Nomura's in terms of his overall aesthetic sense, and at the time were fairly original (it was only after FF7 that everything in it became a massive cliche). They're designs that are extremely functional, though -- everyone's got their own color palette and distinctive shape. The characters in FF9, though by a different artist and clearly belonging to a different setting, are just as good for the exact same reasons.

If you recall, right after FF7 he did Parasite Eve, where everyone was dressed sensibly. FF8's designs were alright, but the move to realistic proportions and the need to make every character a generically attractive teenager hurt the silhouette factor. And then, in FF10, he started going off the deep end. Legend has it that Lulu's infamous belt-dress was specifically designed to troll the cinematics department, but something must have just snapped in the dude's mind that day, and from it has poured fourth Disney characters wrapped like mummies in leather belts, lederhosen sportswear, string bikini/pirate bandana/comfy winter scarf ensembles, and whatever the gently caress it is that Lightning is wearing in Returns, i dont even know

Lightning actually has multiple costumes associated with different job classes in LR. What we've seen most of is just her default, and the most basic job class in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

Lightning actually has multiple costumes associated with different job classes in LR. What we've seen most of is just her default, and the most basic job class in the game.

The other ones we've seen are similarly horrid except maybe her hobo-alike outfit which is silly but not offensively awful.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Azure_Horizon posted:

The other outfits are at least just as terrible, sans Hobo Lightning.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Looking at that breakdown of how combat works has me even more hyped for this game. It not only looks fun, it sounds fun.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I kinda like the pirate outfit in the latest trailer.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 12, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The other outfits are at least just as terrible, sans Hobo Lightning.

Meh, I don't really have a problem with them. They're no worse than most of X-2's outfits and the gameplay made it worth it.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

It's happening. The moons have aligned, the rhyme and rhythms are tight, TWEWY Nomura has awakened.

Oh sweet jesus, you're right. This gameplay is totally reminiscent of TWEWY. The warping, the variable weapons, the anime. Yesssssssss.

Now, we just need a giant stuffed cat for the characters to shoot doom lasers from...

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Guess I should look these costumes up. I'm interested to see what Hobo Lightning looks like.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I checked the trailer again and I would have liked the pirate outfit more if they didn't
forget to add the last third of it.

EDIT: Found this silly costume. Is it FFXIV cosplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I checked the trailer again and I would have liked the pirate outfit more if they didn't
forget to add the last third of it.

EDIT: Found this silly costume. Is it FFXIV cosplay?

Yeah its a Miquote cosplay from FFXIV. FFXIV is getting a Lightning cameo as well.