Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
code:
parted /dev/sdb --script -- unit s print
Check sector alignment manually then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone have experience with VMware's SSO?

I'm trying to give the web services a shot, however I'm noticing that I can't authenticate with my domain credentials. I checked the SSO Configuration tab from the web client and saw the following:

What would cause the configuration information to not even be present in the web client side? I'm pretty much straight from installing vCenter Server on a new Windows server after using the VMware vCenter Simple Install procedure.

I'm having a hell of a time finding any documentation on how to troubleshoot SSO, short of reinstalling it...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Did you do a simple install?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

...pretty much straight from installing vCenter Server on a new Windows server after using the VMware vCenter Simple Install procedure.

Indeed I did, which is the strange part. Most frustrating (in my mind) is that I can't seem to find any local components (other than restarting in services MMC snapin) to manage SSO from (if there are even any).

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 8, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

Indeed I did, which is the strange part. Most frustrating (in my mind) is that I can't seem to find any local components (other than restarting in services MMC snapin) to manage SSO from (if there are even any).

the simple install is really only reccommended for short term PoC's... So many loving poo poo errors in production.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
Login as admin@system-domain and then make sure AD is added as an authentication source. Once that's done set the default domain to whatever your AD domain is then you can start assigning roles to AD groups.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
^ to that what does it happen in all browsers

Throwing it out there but anyone going to VMworld?

If so let me know, I'll do some kind of lunch on me. Can't do a beer until I take my DCD, but yeah should be fun!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 8, 2013

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

evol262 posted:

code:
Check sector alignment manually then.

code:
Model: VMware Virtual disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 209715200s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start  End         Size        File system  Name     Flags
 1      2048s  209713151s  209711104s  ext4         primary

So all good ?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jre posted:

code:
Model: VMware Virtual disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 209715200s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start  End         Size        File system  Name     Flags
 1      2048s  209713151s  209711104s  ext4         primary

So all good ?

2048 is optimal alignment on top of VMFS-5, yeah.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

evol262 posted:

2048 is optimal alignment on top of VMFS-5, yeah.

Excellent, thanks for your help.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Does anyone know if View 4.6 can support 3D stuff like Google Earth? Or was that only introduced in View 5?

I don't see an option for "Windows 7 3D rendering" in 4.6 and my google skills must be hazy this morning.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I want to say it is a(supported) 5.0 and up. My 4.6 at this point is rusty.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

I want to say it is a(supported) 5.0 and up. My 4.6 at this point is rusty.

Yea that's what I am leading to believe. Anyway I need to get all these people off of 4.6 anyway.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do any of you use vShield with View, or do you have AV on each VM?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Right when I started this new job I setup TrendMicro's agentless AV within our View 5.0 environment. It uses vShield to do some fancy low level stuff. Seems to be working well.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

GreenNight posted:

We use vshield, not with view, and Trend Deepsecurity. It's terrible and I hate it, if I could go back I'd use a traditional agent.
If your environment is doing large amounts of network traffic their filter driver eventually leaks to death and crashes every VM being protected. I know of at least one other goon who had the same issue. Additionally it's a pain to administer and alerts for no reason.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nukelear v.2 posted:

We use vshield, not with view, and Trend Deepsecurity. It's terrible and I hate it, if I could go back I'd use a traditional agent.
If your environment is doing large amounts of network traffic their filter driver eventually leaks to death and crashes every VM being protected. I know of at least one other goon who had the same issue. Additionally it's a pain to administer and alerts for no reason.

Have not had any problems with leaks and crashing VMs.

I thought the alerts were just because everything that is in my environment was deployed horribly wrong. I do get those "Smart Protection Disconnected" warnings all the time though. Is that what you are seeing?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

vShield, having A/V on each VM will kill CPU and ram. Some have a 'lite' agent installed on clients but it is easier to go agentless with Trend/Symantec. Which I have heard a lot of good things about Symantecs.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Only problem's I've had with trend is updating. QA can be iffy at best sometimes

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 11, 2013

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Moey posted:

Have not had any problems with leaks and crashing VMs.

I thought the alerts were just because everything that is in my environment was deployed horribly wrong. I do get those "Smart Protection Disconnected" warnings all the time though. Is that what you are seeing?

It took our actual production volume to cause it, it wasn't something we saw during stress testing, but after a month in prod one by one all the servers would fall over. A view environment may not suffer the same problem. Trend could theoretically fix it easily, if you don't license the network features then don't run them through the filter.

Smart Protection errors. Every day when the central server got it's update it would alert that all servers were out of date then over the 10 minutes it would spam 'Resolved' as each server updated, had to disable all out of date alerts for this. VM's will stop being protected when vmotioned randomly with Interface out sync alerts, this is a major pita. Rule Not Applied alerts, immediately followed by Resolved.

In terms of memory usage, I have to allocate a 4 Gig appliance on every machine (comes default at 1/2G, they had us increase it), that's a lot of AV agent instances. Also Trend needs a thin agent activated on the VM itself anyway. So I kind of see that as a wash.

Edit: Again, these are all just against Trend itself, vshield is fine and vmware support was excellent. Just look at one of the other competing products.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 11, 2013

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I figure someone here has run into this, so let me ask in this thread first:

I'm creating a Ubuntu virtual machine in VMWare for use in my group at work (for doing embedded linux development). In order to save time and energy (and prevent people from making the mistakes I initially made), I'm going to be giving everyone a copy of the same image.

However, in order to run our IDE, we need individual licenses. We can generate new licenses, but that requires going through a web interface, and only a few of us can generate the licenses. They are tied to MAC addresses though, and since we already paid for a fixed number of licenses (we can generate as many as we want, though), I can clone the MAC address of the virtual network adapter in order to have each VM work out of the box for everyone. However, will this cause any problems on the network? I configured the network adapter to use NAT, so I'd imagine it wouldn't matter (since every duplicate MAC will be hidden behind each VM's NAT), but I don't actually know for sure.

Also, is there any advantage to cloning the MAC address directly (by changing the randomized MAC that VMWare generates) over using the "Cloned MAC address" field in the Ubuntu network options?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Slanderer posted:

I can clone the MAC address of the virtual network adapter in order to have each VM work out of the box for everyone. However, will this cause any problems on the network? I configured the network adapter to use NAT, so I'd imagine it wouldn't matter (since every duplicate MAC will be hidden behind each VM's NAT), but I don't actually know for sure.

I could be very wrong, but I don't think this would work. All your layer 2 communication is done via mac addresses. If you just one device doing NAT in front of all the cloned devices it wouldn't know which machine to send to. If you had an individual devices NAT'ing in front of each machine (ie a 1-to-1 relationship between each NAT device and cloned mac) it might work, but I don't know if that's something vmware does.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 11, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Good thing NAT is layer 3. I assume he is doing workstation and not ESX where he is putting them on a server then using a virtual router or the like to connect. So it would be the only device on that virtual network.

It would probably work, but I have no idea how your IDE company would like it

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Corvettefisher posted:

Good thing NAT is layer 3. I assume he is doing workstation and not ESX where he is putting them on a server then using a virtual router or the like to connect.

Duh, yeah if it's workstation then it's likely fine. Had my head stuck in ESX.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Good thing NAT is layer 3. I assume he is doing workstation and not ESX where he is putting them on a server then using a virtual router or the like to connect. So it would be the only device on that virtual network.

I think they would be fine with it, since we bought licenses for the whole team.

If it doesn't, I can just get everyone to send me there MACs so I can generate the licenses, but meh.

Thanks!

Crackbone posted:

Duh, yeah if it's workstation then it's likely fine. Had my head stuck in ESX.

Yeah, it is workstation.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Are any of you running ESXi 5.1 on proliant servers? I am trying to install the Management Bundle and it is coming up with valid products of embeddedEsx 5.0.0 and 5.1.0. I am not running Embedded but I am hoping that there is some way to use update manager to deploy these tools anyway. I can't for the life of me find anything about this problem anywhere.

Essentially when I go to remediate there is nothing to remediate because I am not using embedded esxi. I don't have an external network connection on these so I have to use offline patches.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

demonachizer posted:

Are any of you running ESXi 5.1 on proliant servers? I am trying to install the Management Bundle and it is coming up with valid products of embeddedEsx 5.0.0 and 5.1.0. I am not running Embedded but I am hoping that there is some way to use update manager to deploy these tools anyway. I can't for the life of me find anything about this problem anywhere.

Essentially when I go to remediate there is nothing to remediate because I am not using embedded esxi. I don't have an external network connection on these so I have to use offline patches.

I run ESXi 5.1 on quite a few DL360s and DL380s (and blades). Typically I forget trying to install the management agents manually and just reinstall ESXi via the HP-branded ISO, which is now available directly from VMware.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?productId=285&downloadGroup=HP-ESXI-5.1.0-GA-10SEP2012

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

madsushi posted:

I run ESXi 5.1 on quite a few DL360s and DL380s (and blades). Typically I forget trying to install the management agents manually and just reinstall ESXi via the HP-branded ISO, which is now available directly from VMware.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?productId=285&downloadGroup=HP-ESXI-5.1.0-GA-10SEP2012

Yeah I might end up doing that. Is it a super pain in the rear end to reconfigure your hosts? I only have three but I think that I would kill myself if I had to redo 10+.

Unless you can reinstall overtop of an existing esxi installation without losing your settings? Could you do it through update manager I wonder?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

demonachizer posted:

Yeah I might end up doing that. Is it a super pain in the rear end to reconfigure your hosts? I only have three but I think that I would kill myself if I had to redo 10+

Depends, on your environment, host profiles and autodeploy, can you say reboot and done?

if you use Essentials+ you can script things fairly easily.

quote:

Unless you can reinstall overtop of an existing esxi installation without losing your settings? Could you do it through update manager I wonder?

Just select the upgrade option, it keeps your settings and what not, and bring you to the latests.

Only odd thing I have ever seen with upgrades is the root password drop out sometimes and it is just *blank*.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 12, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

demonachizer posted:

Yeah vmware hosts the brand-specific ESXi's now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I guess that answers a question I had. Going to be installing ESXi on a DL360G8p, and wasn't sure if I would be better off using vanilla ESXi or the HP branded ISO. Seems the HP one is the way to go.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I'm the other goon. We had to keep upping the heapsize for the filter driver up to the ESXi maximum of 256MB before we stopped having problems with our VMs going south when the DS filter driver shat itself.

I can't recommend this product. Trend's support is spotty. The product itself is buggy and needs a few more revisions before it'll be ready for prime time.

Also how the gently caress do I get these goddamned interface out of sync errors to loving stop?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I guess that answers a question I had. Going to be installing ESXi on a DL360G8p, and wasn't sure if I would be better off using vanilla ESXi or the HP branded ISO. Seems the HP one is the way to go.
It's always easier and less time consuming, yeah.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Yeah unless you want to manually add packages and drivers for ESXi, again 99% of the time vanilla will work. However, IMO there isn't much reason to go vanilla if you are working with a major vendor for updates you are pretty safe.

The only problem can be if your vendor is slow on ESXi images, your updates might be waiting on them.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

evil_bunnY posted:

It's always easier and less time consuming, yeah.

Yeah, I still have a handful of HP blades that I built with vanilla ESXi 5.0 that I can't get to report a bunch of hardware information within vcenter for the life of me. The ones I built from the HP image work just fine.

Guess I'll wait for the 5.1 upgrade and just rebuild them from scratch

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone played around with VMware's new Log Insight appliance?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone here have some direction of Vmware view and vCloud director?

Basically so I can offer this class on line for my CC I want to be able to automated the lab environment(done), as well as provision some view desktops in which students can work in. It's pretty complicated and I am not sure it can be done but I would think I could ask.

So far so got my 5.1+ lab environments for the VAAP working fine, I think my lab could be better but I think that is my dunning krugger kicking in :)

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 13, 2013

tehDiceman
Jan 10, 2013

Corvettefisher posted:

Anyone here have some direction of Vmware view and vCloud director?

Basically so I can offer this class on line for my CC I want to be able to automated the lab environment(done), as well as provision some view desktops in which students can work in. It's pretty complicated and I am not sure it can be done but I would think I could ask.

So far so got my 5.1+ lab environments for the VAAP working fine, I think my lab could be better but I think that is my dunning krugger kicking in :)

Officially, View inside of vCloud Director is not supported by VMware. There are quite a few hits on google with discussion about the idea though.

I can't speak much about View but I've deployed vCloud Director(1.5) before. Do you have any specific questions? vCloud Director is somewhat of a complicated product so general discussion can be difficult.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Alright here is it. This is kinda at a high level(ignore the single connection server and security server). So far I think I got the provisioning of the labs down well.

Basically what I want to be able to do is tell vCloud I want to provision ~26 pools and assign vm's in Pool_$1 to vAPP_$1. So when a lab team requests VCAP-DCA lab the lab is provisioned, with two view desktops and attach them to the vAPP. This way we can use PCoIP, reduce the storage foot print via linked clones, and have the foundation for offering it online. Followed by vCloud cleaning up the environment after 16/8 weeks, or X days. I am not terribly versed at vCloud so yeah... In actuality all I need vCloud to do is send a call to provision the virtual desktops and link them to the vAPP.

Right now the vAPP is deployed we get the IP off the router and say okay Team A you are 172.XX.XXX.XX Person 1 is remoting in via port 4410 and person 2 is remoting in via Port 4409. This works fine for local but if we want to move it online I know this may not work well.

I am sure I will need to give the View jump boxes 2 IP's so the can contact the security server, and I will probably vlann it out.

Again I am not sure if this is even possible.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 14, 2013

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For a quick and dirty small-scale lab (like 4-5 machines tops), is there any reason Hyper-V on windows 8 Pro wouldn't work? All I really need is VMs and the ability to network those machines, and it looks like Win8Pro HV does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
No, there's a few limitations on Hyper-V in Windows8 but none of them will probably matter to you. You don't get Live Migration, RemoteFX, SR-IOV, virtual fibre channel, and some other irrelevant poo poo for a desktop lab.