Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

a pipe smoking dog posted:

OKay my old king just died and all of my new king's kids are with his wife in Thuringia not getting married off. Why isn't my wife finding our kids people to marry and how can I get control of my kids? Am I going to have to kill my wife?

Invite them to your court.

EDIT

Alternately, invite a suitable MATCH for the kid to your court, and then propose that your kid marry that courtier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Strudel Man posted:

Always. Less mad if it's not a de jure vassal, but still. It looks like it also always ticks off ALL your vassals, which is a little bit annoying, but I guess is just the way it goes.

Edit: Retracting a de jure vassal is -60 for 100 years (!) for the target, -15 for 5 years for all other direct vassals. Retracting non-de jure vassals is -30 for 100 years for the target, -10 for 5 years for all other direct vassals.
Ugh. That needs modding, something like a -15 and nobody else cares for non-de jure vassals.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CapnAndy posted:

Ugh. That needs modding, something like a -15 and nobody else cares for non-de jure vassals.
I don't think it's necessarily appropriate that nobody would care - any other vassal of yours who had vassals of his own outside his de-jure territory would have reason to be worried that you were taking them away.

If I were modding that, I'd probably drop the opinion malus to -5, but extend it in time a bit. I would probably drop the penalty for the specific vassal, though.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Is there a way to see other religions' Moral Authority levels, other than switching who I play as? I took Rome, and I've been plundering Christian sites for a long time, and I'd like to see how low I can get it.

Also, how can I find the Pope again, now that he isn't in Rome? He's declared war on me once, but I literally had 100% warscore immediately (before he raised troops, as I was paused), and even though I didn't force end it right away, he went down like a sack of potatoes since I had permanent raiding parties stationed in pretty much the entire area of Italy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think it's necessarily appropriate that nobody would care - any other vassal of yours who had vassals of his own outside his de-jure territory would have reason to be worried that you were taking them away.
Well, they ought to be worried, because they're loving next. But my thinking is that everyone else is going to be either thinking "glad you got cut down to size, rear end in a top hat" or "that wasn't yours by right anyway, what's the big deal".

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Sonendar 1.04.1

I made a lot of little tweaks and things, but I can't remember them all, so you will have to take it on my word that it's improved. :ohdear:

Right now I'm getting black portraits except for headware on every female in the game.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

OneTwentySix posted:

Is there a way to see other religions' Moral Authority levels, other than switching who I play as? I took Rome, and I've been plundering Christian sites for a long time, and I'd like to see how low I can get it.

Also, how can I find the Pope again, now that he isn't in Rome? He's declared war on me once, but I literally had 100% warscore immediately (before he raised troops, as I was paused), and even though I didn't force end it right away, he went down like a sack of potatoes since I had permanent raiding parties stationed in pretty much the entire area of Italy.

Look at the ledger to see other religion's authority levels. Down beneath your minimap there should be a button for it. Open it up and click through the pages until you get to the one about religions. The only downside is that it won't show heresies (except old pagan faiths), so I have no idea how well the Iconoclast Byzantium in my game is doing. Can heresies have heresies of their own? Do they even have moral authority scores?

To find the pope, use the title finder (again, under the minimap) and search for 'The Papacy'. He'll be the one who holds it. Used to be that if he was totally stripped of land he'd be banished to the Pope Dimension. Now he apparently resides in Rome, regardless of who holds it. Maybe he has a secret Pope Cave?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

OneTwentySix posted:

Yep, it's one of the pages of the ledger which is found below the map.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Thanks! I use the ledger all the time, but never really paid much attention to all but a few of the pages in there.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Antinumeric posted:

It actually happened. Although the Vikings in question had been christianised IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_southern_Italy

I forgot for a bit how awesome the Normans were.

Is there a way to emulate the creation of the Norman culture in ToG? I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Shadeoses, would you recommend that I start a thread for Sonendar on the Paradox Forums too? I've mostly been going at it myself, so I wonder if it's the sort of thing that people would volunteer for, seeing as how it's not really based on any established fantasy universe. I do need help, though, especially in writing events and stuff.

Do it :unsmigghh:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dirty_Moses posted:

I forgot for a bit how awesome the Normans were.

Is there a way to emulate the creation of the Norman culture in ToG? I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it.

Yep. If you're Norse and conquer bits of France(maybe England too, or am I crazy?) then it and yourself eventually become Norman.

EDIT: I should clarify. If you conquer a Latin-speaking (again, someone correct me if this is inaccurate, it's been awhile) province/area, then the same kind of event that turns dudes Danish/Norwegian/Swedish will fire for you and turn you Norman, although I think you can try to resist it.

Beamed fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 12, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

reignonyourparade posted:

Right now I'm getting black portraits except for headware on every female in the game.

:catstare: That... shouldn't happen. Can anyone else confirm this?

EDIT:One of the new events I added.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 12, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Beamed posted:

Yep. If you're Norse and conquer bits of France(maybe England too, or am I crazy?) then it and yourself eventually become Norman.

EDIT: I should clarify. If you conquer a Latin-speaking (again, someone correct me if this is inaccurate, it's been awhile) province/area, then the same kind of event that turns dudes Danish/Norwegian/Swedish will fire for you and turn you Norman, although I think you can try to resist it.

It's funny this should crop up because I just started a new game (my old game stopped working) and I've noticed something peculiar.

There's a sole Norman province in the world. And it's in Penthievre.

There are no Norse there anymore, however. It's been retaken by Bretons. Also this happens all the time. At first it was really cool, but now it happens in 80 % of my games. Vikings take over Brittany, adventure Breton retakes it, now has two duchies because it includes his host duchy and he creates a kingdom as "the Liberator".

The oddest thing is that this is 883. I didn't even think those events could fire this early.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CapnAndy posted:

Well, they ought to be worried, because they're loving next. But my thinking is that everyone else is going to be either thinking "glad you got cut down to size, rear end in a top hat" or "that wasn't yours by right anyway, what's the big deal".

See, my thinking is that everyone else is thinking "poo poo, how am I going to amass a suitable powerbase to win independence/lower crown authority/become King myself if this poo poo keeps happening?" and thus the opinion malus makes perfect sense.

Remember, CK2 vassals are all greedy assholes, just like you.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

DrSunshine posted:

A dance so dumb it makes you lose your belief in a loving Creator?

Sounds about right.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

See, my thinking is that everyone else is thinking "poo poo, how am I going to amass a suitable powerbase to win independence/lower crown authority/become King myself if this poo poo keeps happening?" and thus the opinion malus makes perfect sense.

Remember, CK2 vassals are all greedy assholes, just like you.

It is also a serious breach of the feudal contract. Remember, executing a noble is not as bad as revoking his title(s), because those remain in the families hands. The same with revoking vassals.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

HenessyHero posted:

A dance so dumb it makes you lose your belief in a loving Creator?

Sounds about right.
Eh, cynical pulls double duty that way.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

How useful is the demo for this in learning how to play?

As I'm poor and hoping for it to go on sale at some point but would like to be able to understand how to do anything, as all the screenshots are confusing. :ohdear:

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

How useful is the demo for this in learning how to play?

As I'm poor and hoping for it to go on sale at some point but would like to be able to understand how to do anything, as all the screenshots are confusing. :ohdear:

It's pretty intuitive. Get the demo, play as like, Poland, and see if you can figure it out.

IIRC, the tutorial is actually pretty decent too.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Dirty_Moses posted:

It's pretty intuitive. Get the demo, play as like, Poland, and see if you can figure it out.

The tutorial is AMAZING compared to other Paradox games.

It took me an age to get to grips with Victoria 2 and EU3 and the tutorials were chores. CK2's tutorial is actually kinda fun.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Having dethroned the former King of Denmark and taken the Holy Site in Sjćlland, I also managed to grab Zeeland while Lotharingia was in a war with Italy and East & West Francia.

So I now need just one more Holy Site, the obvious option is Naumadal - recently independent following the King of Sweden's death.
But, the King of Sweden just died, my Kingdom-level Subjugation CB is available, and the new King can call on fewer than a quarter of the total troops I have at my disposal.

May as well live up to the Viking trait: :black101:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

:catstare: That... shouldn't happen. Can anyone else confirm this?

Why would you ever choose the option that gives you one of the worst hereditary traits in the game?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Why would you ever choose the option that gives you one of the worst hereditary traits in the game?

There's only 1% chance of getting it!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So this guy has been one of my favorite character-designed starts.

He's Waclaw the Cruel, a title I got given a second after starting the game. He started off with Bright, Skilled Tactician, Cruel and Arbirtary/ He earned Ambitious early on. I decided the game wanted me to play him as brutal.

He's been pretty fun. I've been saving up money and then warring my neighbors until I got my kingdom. I torture all my prisoners when I can (the game had a tendency to give me little girls for that) and I just plain old assassinate anyone trying to stir up trouble. Waclaw's wife, amusingly, has been depressed since the second he married her.

Also I think I got a bugged version of the finding book event - I ended up getting both endings. Scholar and mystic. I like to imagine that when Waclaw tortures the 10-year old girl of the day he is doing so in the same tradition of ancient roman priest. I like that my still-slavic-King can read.

The Piast dynasty also spawned really early in my game... and I think I've already caused their extinction. Two of them were counts who rebelled without heirs who I then defeated, revoked and tortured to death. One is the wife of my son, who's pretty rad. One had a claim on one of my duchies, and so got stabbed. The youngest Piast IS still alive and has one daughter. He's young, but he could possibly get a son out of him.

I'm debating where to kill him for the hell of it or keep him alive, hope he gets a son and then elevate him to a count or duke one day so the Piasts are relevant. I'd love to hear a suggestion on it.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 13, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dirty_Moses posted:

The tutorial is quite good, although it doesn't really expand on what a lot of things actually do just what they are.

Alsoi I have a plot to kill some person in the Polish court but no-one wants to plot with me, how can I make it so they want this?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Rejected Fate posted:

I'm debating where to kill him for the hell of it or keep him alive, hope he gets a son and then elevate him to a count or duke one day so the Piasts are relevant. I'd love to hear a suggestion on it.
If some random guy shows up with a cool dynasty name, whether because of history or because I just like it, he gets a wife and a county tout de suite. The Brahes, Natt och Dags, le Rats, de Turbines, O hEachthighearnas, and Eóganacht-Airthir Chliachs have all gotten established this way over my games in CK2.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

The tutorial is quite good, although it doesn't really expand on what a lot of things actually do just what they are.

Alsoi I have a plot to kill some person in the Polish court but no-one wants to plot with me, how can I make it so they want this?

Hover over the red thumbs on the plotting screen - it will tell you why they do not want to plot with you.

If it is because of their opinion of you, give them money/titles/your close relative to improve relations as well as possibly sending your chancellor to the appropriate places to improve diplomatic relations.

If it is because of their opinion of the person, the only things you can really do are build a spy network (should be doing this anyway) and hope for relevant rumors and possibly send your chancellor to sow descent if you are plotting against a ruler.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

There's only 1% chance of getting it!

And it can give you extra diplomacy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Been having real fun with the new expansion so far but I've run into a bit of a problem. Many years ago, I tried to revoke a county, and now it's stuck in the "in-progress" phase. So now it can't be cancelled and I can't do any other intrigue missions. This has lasted for decades, the death of the original owners of the county, I'm fairly sure some seizures of the title by my vassals, and the death of the ruler who initiated it and now only two of the original conspirators are even still alive! Is there any way I can fix this?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Another great way to get claims is raiding/warring kings and emperors, stealing their daughters then taking as concubines. You also can educate them into being your culture and religion if you nab them early enough.

RAPE! It's a legit strategy in Crusader Kings II!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else here playing on Linux? Since the update to 1.10.1, the game has suddenly become unplayably choppy.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Can a female Norse leader kidnap men to keep as concubines?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Winter Stormer posted:

If some random guy shows up with a cool dynasty name, whether because of history or because I just like it, he gets a wife and a county tout de suite. The Brahes, Natt och Dags, le Rats, de Turbines, O hEachthighearnas, and Eóganacht-Airthir Chliachs have all gotten established this way over my games in CK2.

I give special treatment to the Bishop of Worms.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Necroskowitz posted:

Can a female Norse leader kidnap men to keep as concubines?
No. Concubines are only for men.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Rejected Fate posted:

The Piast dynasty also spawned really early in my game...

The Piasts don't really "spawn" do they? They're already around in 867, under Piast himself.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

rt4 posted:

Is anyone else here playing on Linux? Since the update to 1.10.1, the game has suddenly become unplayably choppy.

Same thing has happened to the Mac version, I hope it gets fixed soon. In the meantime I suggest making a thread on the Pdox forums.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Varam posted:

The Piasts don't really "spawn" do they? They're already around in 867, under Piast himself.

Ohhhhh, they're the ones you can't play! I think? They're Greater Poland when I tracked their family tree in-game and I remember you can't play Greater Poland at the start date.

Man, I've just been thinking they spawn randomly. They always seem to crop up in random places at random times. Huh.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
FYI, there are definitely some additions in the new patch compared to the beta last week, because they totally added North Germanic as a culture that can create the Empire of Brittania. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Well, that's odd. I don't know if it's hardcoded or what, but even with nothing in the 'chaplain arrives at pagan capital' event that should be restricting it to the initially organized religions only, I still can't send my seer anywhere but my own territory.

Guess I won't be modding in missionaries for everyone after all. :/

• Locked thread