Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

That's really drat snazzy, I wish we could've had the Best Buy event here but apparently Wisconsin isn't good enough to have more than one location. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SubNat posted:

For Mario Kart 8, have they said anything about if it'll be 4 player, or 5 player, like Sonic Racing? (It's gotta be 5 players, right? They wouldn't just squander one of the unique things the Wii U has, after all? )
Only thing I really got from the Dev Diary was that it's HD, and they've been aiming for 60fps with 2 players.

The only important thing is that those bastards don't restrict Battle Mode to only be timed matches again.

I will kill someone. I'll do it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SubNat posted:

For Mario Kart 8, have they said anything about if it'll be 4 player, or 5 player, like Sonic Racing? (It's gotta be 5 players, right? They wouldn't just squander one of the unique things the Wii U has, after all? )
Only thing I really got from the Dev Diary was that it's HD, and they've been aiming for 60fps with 2 players.

I just heard in an IGN interview they've got 12-player online play, I don't know about the local multi beyond at least two players.

Also confirmed no snaking.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
To the people who got to try MK8, what sort of items were in play? Same stuff as MK7/Wii?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Zeeman posted:

Nintendo's release dates for the rest of the year:

There are a lot of complaints about releases for the rest of this year, but I plan on picking up at least Pikmin, Lugi, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker, DKC:TF and Mario 3D World which is probably more than I'll be able to complete in between the 3DS releases they have coming out in the same time frame.

Maybe it's too much more of the same for some people, but I'm quite happy to have all of these on the horizon.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Chronojam posted:

I just heard in an IGN interview they've got 12-player online play, I don't know about the local multi beyond at least two players.

Also confirmed no snaking.

Day one purchase.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

citizenlowell posted:

There are a lot of complaints about releases for the rest of this year, but I plan on picking up at least Pikmin, Lugi, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker, DKC:TF and Mario 3D World which is probably more than I'll be able to complete in between the 3DS releases they have coming out in the same time frame.

Maybe it's too much more of the same for some people, but I'm quite happy to have all of these on the horizon.

It is unfortunate that only one of this year's games isn't an existing property, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

theflyingorc posted:

It is unfortunate that only one of this year's games isn't an existing property, though.

Because we've been positively flooded with Warioware and Pikmin games lately.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Bee posted:

They're still sequels though. And doesn't game and wario only have a small amount of mini games?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

More MK8 chat, I could have misheard but I'm pretty sure they said they have several control options including gamepad steering-wheel style, tracing on the touchscreen, pro controller style with sticks, and Wii Remote Plus. They referred to local players being easily able to jump in and out, so I assume that means it'll handle more than just the two.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

PonchAxis posted:

They're still sequels though. And doesn't game and wario only have a small amount of mini games?

True, but they're barely used properties. I can understand being annoyed with reusing the same property over and over again, but when Pikmin hasn't even seen a release in half a decade it seems almost silly to complain that it isn't brand new.

Besides, you've got original or almost-new IPs hitting this year like Watch Dogs and Adventure Time hitting the WiiU in 2013 as well.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I just turned my Wii U on and it immediately started installing an update, so I guess it downloaded the update while it was off.

Bricking only happens if the Wii U loses power while installing the update, not downloading it, right? Because I turn the power strip behind my TV off every night when I go to bed, and now I'm worried I'll do that one night while it's downloading something.

Mine was bricked when it lost power during the download.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

PonchAxis posted:

I thought Game and Wario was kind of its own thing and not really a sequel to Wario Ware though? Hence the small amount of micro games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Atomicated posted:

I thought Game and Wario was kind of its own thing and not really a sequel to Wario Ware though? Hence the small amount of micro games.

Well yeah it isn't warioware at all. Just having a small amount of mini games, while they may be fun, isn't really all that exciting and would probably get bored of within a week.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Atomicated posted:

I seem to remember hearing there were like 140 microgames in it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Bee posted:

I said unfortunate, not "I hate Nintendo". It would be nice if there was one more original property or so.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Man, when I checked the online site about the demos they had the local Best Buy on the list as recently as yesterday but when I went to the mall earlier there was nothing and looking online they suddenly dropped it as a location. Oh well, not the biggest disappointment but still a let down, especially now that I know they're giving away free stuff. I want free stuff!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is the Wii U version of Revelations a good buy and better than the other versions? I'd like something new for the console and I don't mind rebuying the game since I didn't play far into my 3DS copy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

theflyingorc posted:

The only important thing is that those bastards don't restrict Battle Mode to only be timed matches again.

I will kill someone. I'll do it.

This, entirely this. 8 player online battle mode with knockout rules and bob-ombs for post-elimination griefing. Keep the timed battles as an option though, I always enjoyed those when playing in teams. Also I can't wait to see how insane Rainbow Road 8 is with the anti-grav gimmick there.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Mine was bricked when it lost power during the download.

Oooh. All right, I'll definitely make sure it's not downloading when I cut the power off. Thanks for the confirmation.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is the Wii U version of Revelations a good buy and better than the other versions? I'd like something new for the console and I don't mind rebuying the game since I didn't play far into my 3DS copy.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resident-evil-revelations-face-off

quote:

On the other hand, the Wii U version appears to be visibly less refined in this area, with small but frequent fluctuations in smoothness adding some noticeable stutter to the experience. Furthermore, frame-rates are hit harder when the engine is under load and this has a larger impact on the controls compared to on the 360 and PS3. Aiming and moving around in general feels heavier and less responsive in the Wii U - there appears to a much larger dead-zone that creates a delay between moving the analogue sticks and the action appearing on screen. Comparatively, we had no issues with button presses, so the way the controls have been programmed to the sticks seems to the the issue.

quote:

Similarly, the use of dynamic lighting and a greater number of fixed-function effects also causes the initially solid 30FPS update to become compromised during more intense combat scenes. However, outside of these situations, the 3DS version offers up a more fluid gameplay experience than the Wii U version - a state of affairs that defies belief.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

e: f,b

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just got back from the Best Buy in Denver. It had a massive line. I played Mario Kart 8, really enjoyed what I played. The Nintendo Reps were awesome. They gave me a Luigi Hat, Year of Luigi coin, and a Mario Kart checkered flag.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Auuughh I want a Luigi hat to match my Club Nintendo Mario hat. :(

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

So is Pikmin on Nintendo Land essentially the same thing as Pikmin the game? I hope so!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

flare posted:

So is Pikmin on Nintendo Land essentially the same thing as Pikmin the game? I hope so!

It's kinda like a more super simple Pikmin, yeah.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Saoshyant posted:

E3 Nintendo Direct Thread. One hour to go.

If it's a girl you have to name her Zelda.

FYI you guys the baby was finally born, 36 hours after we checked in. It was a boy, we named him THIEF.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Okay, not on my cell so I can type a little more.

Mario Kart 8 was on a 50cc. The controls began with the gyro steeling wheel which were next to impossible for me since I'm so used to the analog/direction. Switched it about 20 seconds in the race. The control felt really tight, loved it. Watching others play, when Bowser gets a stretch he's nigh impossible to catch. That said, any stage with turns, Bowser was doing terrible. Some racers were on bikes (Toad, Waluigi, Donkey Kong) while others on Karts. Likely to just keep it simple and allow use of both. The tracks felt like Mushroom Cup tracks but still fun. The figure eight track from the trailer is gorgeous and once you see an upside down Peach Castle you'll just marvel at how Inception it feels. The textures are really good. The road looks awesome. The track inside a town resembled the Mario Kart Wii mall stage when you weren't in the mall complete with cart trolleys that reminded me of the train in the Kalimari Desert. When you're upside down your wheels turn into Tron looking floaters and going back to normal is fast and so far not disorientating. The Boo House was simple and fun. Had the curvy road similar to some Bowser Castles as well as a swimming area which your physics change to a noticeable amount (have to take deeper turns, etc.) Overall, better than I expected. Playing it on 150cc and seeing their creativity on tracks will be exciting.

Next waited and played 3D World. Played a four player game where we tried the fat Yoshi stage. Everyone has to steer at the same time so it can be a bitch. Also if anyone hits the jump button the fat Yoshi will jump. Game looked nice but simply looked like a Wii game turned HD. Honestly a bit of a let down for me because it felt like New Super Mario Bros. but with 3D platforming instead of 2D platforming. Don't think it gets much more difficult. Probably considering it off my buy list now. Mario Kart 8 is a day one purchase.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Next waited and played 3D World. Game looked nice but simply looked like a Wii game turned HD. Honestly a bit of a let down for me because it felt like New Super Mario Bros. but with 3D platforming instead of 2D platforming. Don't think it gets much more difficult.
That's basically what Mario 3D Land is to me, so thanks for confirming it. I'll still want to get my hands on it before writing it off cause E3 demos tend to be intentionally super accessible and early-game stuff. But the game footage definitely looked to me like they took the Mario 3D Land 3DS assets and re-rendered them at a higher texture resolution.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's basically what Mario 3D Land is to me, so thanks for confirming it. I'll still want to get my hands on it before writing it off cause E3 demos tend to be intentionally super accessible and early-game stuff. But the game footage definitely looked to me like they took the Mario 3D Land 3DS assets and re-rendered them at a higher texture resolution.

There were five levels on display and the only one I didn't see was the boss fight. They all felt like really easy Mario 2 stages and the levels weren't all low level stages (the fat Yoshi stage was like 5-2 or something)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Water Yoshi stage was 1-5.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Folt The Bolt posted:

Water Yoshi stage was 1-5.

I must be dyslexic.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I've been reading some pretty tepid reactions to 3D World from people who tried it at Best Buy as well as press playing it at E3. :smith:

So congrats Nintendo, you got me way more excited about Mario Kart (a series I had pretty much written off up until this week) than the new 3D Mario game (which is pretty much my favorite game you put out every generation. Yes I liked Sunshine too, sue me :mad:)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

No kidding about MK8, I haven't played since Double Dash but this looks good. This looks like some kind of F-Zero meets Mario Kart.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crowbear posted:

So congrats Nintendo, you got me way more excited about Mario Kart (a series I had pretty much written off up until this week) than the new 3D Mario game (which is pretty much my favorite game you put out every generation. Yes I liked Sunshine too, sue me :mad:)

I really have a feeling that this isn't intended to be the next main Mario game. I think maybe they're trying to make Super Mario 3D _____ into its own spin off series like they did with New Super Mario Bros. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic though.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I"m very excited about the new 3D Mario. I loved 3D land, and most importantly, it's multiplayer. The fact that I can play a 3D Mario game where my daughter can pick Peach and play alongside me is fantastic. She is long past the age where she can be fooled into thinking that waving a Wiimote around the screen and collecting star bits counts as "playing the game". This may be the game that finally gets me to purchase a Wii U.

Help Im Alive posted:

I really have a feeling that this isn't intended to be the next main Mario game. I think maybe they're trying to make Super Mario 3D _____ into its own spin off series like they did with New Super Mario Bros. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic though.

The thing is I think that Nintendo's in-house development studios underestimated what it takes to make a "current-gen" game. I get the feeling that they were probably trying to make something unique for Wii U but it was taking a lot longer than they expected so they went this route to get a 3D Mario out on the console.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mischitary posted:

I"m very excited about the new 3D Mario. I loved 3D land, and most importantly, it's multiplayer. The fact that I can play a 3D Mario game where my daughter can pick Peach and play alongside me is fantastic. She is long past the age where she can be fooled into thinking that waving a Wiimote around the screen and collecting star bits counts as "playing the game". This may be the game that finally gets me to purchase a Wii U.

Oh I can definitely see your side of it. And I played as Peach. No way I was gonna play as Mario. Kinda wish I played as Toad because he was just faster but Peach is just cooler. Especially baby Peach.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Didn't 3D land have an NG+ hard mode? Was it a pretty challenging awesome game like Galaxy 2 or was it more like "This is great but I haven't died once and I have 100 stars" like Galaxy 1?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Didn't 3D land have an NG+ hard mode? Was it a pretty challenging awesome game like Galaxy 2 or was it more like "This is great but I haven't died once and I have 100 stars" like Galaxy 1?

I believe the first half was kind of like Galaxy 1, but the second half (the Special Worlds) is more like Galaxy 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

3D Land's NG+ was fairly challenging the further you got into it. There were even some new levels to go with it, though most were old levels with harder traps, reverse play, low time limits, Mario clones or a mix of any of the above.

It wasn't incredibly difficult but it was enjoyable.

• Locked thread