Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Zero Star posted:

Also, while I'm here, I'm having a weird issue with Samsara where Duke's jetpack can be picked up, but displays an explosion symbol instead of the jetpack, and can't be activated. I've tried typing "samsara_banjetpack 0" into the console, with no luck.

Please try samsara_punchdrunkuniques 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

SavageMessiah posted:

Only if you do bi- or trilinear filtering. Use HQ2x, it looks better and still maintains full pixelly goodness.
Urgh, christ no. Doom still looks and feels fantastic without any sort of animation or texture modification.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bilinear filtering is merely unpleasantly soft, while HQ2x is where things go full-blown Vaseline mode. I've never understood how people can look at those type of filters without getting a headache. It feels like my eyes are trying to focus but just can't.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Starhawk64 posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I find Doom's 20 year old graphics still nice to look at. High Resolution Texture packs are for losers who can't appreciate good pixel art. :smug:

Doom has very, very good textures and sprites, in spite of their low resolution and low colour counts. They were made by some very good artists after all, so I wouldn't expect it to be easy to match even with much better tech available.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Keiya posted:

I like Doom fine, but I HAVE to use the HRP for Duke 3d. It's mostly the flying enemies - the distortion looking up and shooting them weirds me out

I don't think the "HRP" for Doom even works with gzdoom. I'm so disappointed.

That said, I think I just found the coolest Doom mod ever. I'm downloading it now.

VVVVV - I think it is finished. The two files you need are GREZZO2.zip and GREZZO2ENGLISH.rar (if you want an english translation, as it is an italian game). Link to the torrent for grezzo2 (the torrent includes the demo, so unselect that when grabbing it if you don't want to waste a bunch of time) and Link to the main site where you can get the patch.

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 12, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Supreme Power posted:

I don't think the "HRP" for Doom even works with gzdoom. I'm so disappointed.

That said, I think I just found the coolest Doom mod ever. I'm downloading it now.

Had no idea he had finished(?) it. :haw: I like to imagine that some grognard at Doomworld is fully outraged about this filesize.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Bilinear filtering is merely unpleasantly soft, while HQ2x is where things go full-blown Vaseline mode. I've never understood how people can look at those type of filters without getting a headache. It feels like my eyes are trying to focus but just can't.

No filter

HQ2X filter

Yes...HQ2X is somehow where things go full blown Vaseline mode...by subtly sharpening textures...:rolleyes:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
That first one is not no filter, it's got a ton of blurring going on in the gun. Sharp pixels would be no filter.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

superh posted:

That first one is not no filter, it's got a ton of blurring going on in the gun. Sharp pixels would be no filter.

My point was more that HQ really has jack poo poo to do with the overall image quality. It just sort of sharpens things, and has the opposite effect of "vaseline" blurring the image.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Korendian Leader posted:

Urgh, christ no. Doom still looks and feels fantastic without any sort of animation or texture modification.

Nobody ever said Doom didn't look or feel fantastic without modifications. We just said that HQ2x looks good AS WELL, unlike bi and trilinear filtering which looks worse. :colbert: You're arguing with yourself. Reading comprehension fail.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My point was more that HQ really has jack poo poo to do with the overall image quality. It just sort of sharpens things, and has the opposite effect of "vaseline" blurring the image.

HQ2X and friends were deliberately designed to preserve color and edges while upscaling.

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009

catlord posted:

Welp. That was an interesting watch. Is it Polish?

Jesus attempted to destroy my computer when I played Grezzo 2 :-(

Was the boss fight in the church
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKc79fo8LXs

Playing via ZDoom, the sound started lagging and it had the worst crash I have had for a while. The display drivers broke and I could not even reset. Had to hit the power button and my computer started making angry sounds and took half an hour to cool down.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Tim Chuma posted:

Jesus attempted to destroy my computer when I played Grezzo 2 :-(

Was the boss fight in the church
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKc79fo8LXs

Playing via ZDoom, the sound started lagging and it had the worst crash I have had for a while. The display drivers broke and I could not even reset. Had to hit the power button and my computer started making angry sounds and took half an hour to cool down.

I think it was intended to be used with the grezzo2.exe file, which is based off of skulltag. I will be testing it with gzdoom to see if I can get it to work with that, so we'll see. (edit: it will not work with anything but the official grezzo2.exe file.)

It's taking forever to download... :choco:

Update: I finally got it downloaded and installed. This is the craziest mess I've ever seen in my life, and yet, I still want to keep playing it. It's like the creator took elements from every 2.5d game and mod created in the last 20 years, and stuck it all into one game. I can't tell if this was a serious effort or a joke. They could've named this Postal 3 and it would've received better reviews than Postal 2 did. I'm not entirely sure what to think of this...

And I can only use it in software rendering mode, which prevents me from actually finishing the game. :suicide: How did you get it working in zdoom?

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 13, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

HQ2X and friends were deliberately designed to preserve color and edges while upscaling.

...and I love them. The thing I haven't quite figured out are the different compression characteristics. Like RGBA8 (?) and A5 and the others. I usually leave it on RGBA8 but you can produce some pretty radically ugly images with some of the other types. Does anybody use even those?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SavageMessiah posted:

Only if you do bi- or trilinear filtering. Use HQ2x, it looks better and still maintains full pixelly goodness.

No, it still looks like crap, the way it interpolates curves and angles distorts the shapes of sprites and details on textures.

I really like the new Quake port Engoo, but unfortunately its horrible bugginess and awful framerates make it unsuitable for replacing DirectQ as my preferred port. It's just not usable enough at this stage. But it sure looks pretty, especially for a software renderer. The Unreal 1-ish coronas in particular look great.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

...and I love them. The thing I haven't quite figured out are the different compression characteristics. Like RGBA8 (?) and A5 and the others. I usually leave it on RGBA8 but you can produce some pretty radically ugly images with some of the other types. Does anybody use even those?

OK< don't quote me on this because I am not an expert, but AFAIK GZDoom discards the palette information of textures and graphics it feeds to the GPU. RGBA8 is raw 32-bit image data. It looks perfect but if you have a lot of textures in memory and your GPU is incredibly lovely it could theoretically cause you to run out of VRAM, resulting in paging, slowdown, and other undesirable things. RGBA5 is 15-bit color + alpha (32 values each of red, green, and blue for a total of 32,768 colors). It smashes all the textures, sprites, and other images in memory to 15-bit color to save VRAM. The result is really, really ugly. IIRC there are also DXT* options available. These are a sort of lossy compression that video cards can natively compress/decompress. When you enable "texture compression" in most modern games, it stores textures in memory in DXT5 format. It saves VRAM without looking as godawful as RGBA5. There's probably no reason to use any texture compression in GZDoom, so leave it at RGBA8.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 13, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

RGBA5 is meant for people who have older graphics cards and monitors, that only handle 15 bit and 16 bit color.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why is the filters discussion even an argument? :psyduck:

Doom is a 20-year old game. Using modern filters on its textures/sprites/whatever is going to make it look drastically different, but some like it and some don't. Why does it have to go beyond that?

Woolie Wool posted:

I really like the new Quake port Engoo, but unfortunately its horrible bugginess and awful framerates make it unsuitable for replacing DirectQ as my preferred port. It's just not usable enough at this stage. But it sure looks pretty, especially for a software renderer. The Unreal 1-ish coronas in particular look great.

:aaa: And here I was thinking software source ports for Quake didn't exist! My laptop with its poo poo Intel HD GPU can't really do any of the hardware ports (or even GZDoom, let alone Quake) so this is pretty good news for me!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Depend on how old that laptop is, Engoo may brutalize its CPU.

If you want a lightweight Quake port, DirectQ uses Direct3D instead of OpenGL and has much less in the way of eyecandy than other hardware Quake ports, and will probably run on your laptop.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Woolie Wool posted:

Depend on how old that laptop is, Engoo may brutalize its CPU.

If you want a lightweight Quake port, DirectQ uses Direct3D instead of OpenGL and has much less in the way of eyecandy than other hardware Quake ports, and will probably run on your laptop.

Oh, that's pretty good to hear. Thanks! It seems to only have issues with newer OpenGL things, but older games and Direct3D work just fine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Supreme Power posted:

Update: I finally got it downloaded and installed. This is the craziest mess I've ever seen in my life, and yet, I still want to keep playing it. It's like the creator took elements from every 2.5d game and mod created in the last 20 years, and stuck it all into one game. I can't tell if this was a serious effort or a joke. They could've named this Postal 3 and it would've received better reviews than Postal 2 did. I'm not entirely sure what to think of this...

My favorite part is that there's one game "mode" that's literally just Doomcenter with the Grezzo stuff added on to it. Also an endless horde mode.

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Tewratomeh posted:

My favorite part is that there's one game "mode" that's literally just Doomcenter with the Grezzo stuff added on to it. Also an endless horde mode.

Still, I've certainly seen worse Doom mods than this. I've actually played a lot of 2.5D and 3D games that were worse than this. The Story Mode is kinda fun.

What other game starts off a level by giving you a hammer that you're supposed to use to crush your own testicles with?

(And I finally figured out what my OpenGL problem was: I needed to install my nvidia drivers. Derp.)

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 13, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Why is the filters discussion even an argument? :psyduck:

Doom is a 20-year old game. Using modern filters on its textures/sprites/whatever is going to make it look drastically different, but some like it and some don't. Why does it have to go beyond that?

:aaa: And here I was thinking software source ports for Quake didn't exist! My laptop with its poo poo Intel HD GPU can't really do any of the hardware ports (or even GZDoom, let alone Quake) so this is pretty good news for me!

Well QuakeWorld has a straight up software mode from a second exe, and there are of course much older ports like winquakepro which don't even offer much/any enhancements, my personal use has been Darkplaces with mostly default settings and all texture filtering turned off.

I might have to give Engoo and DirectQ a try now.

edit: Oh my, directQ is the best thing, it can literally be the same as software rendered Quake but with modern controls, 1080p, and vsync, hell you can even turn of all animation interpolation to have the really stilted looking enemy movement!

truly oldschool:

Reive fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 13, 2013

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I love how the low frame rate of the character animation meshes with the smooth animation of their actual movement through the level to make some sort of nightmarish puppet-like behavior.

I didn't really know anywhere else to post this idea, but after bingeing on most of the series after reading up on it, I had sort of a half asleep half awake idea. Dangerous Dave 3D.

I don't remember all the details, just that the haunted mansion he was in was so huge you couldn't easily see the other side of it, and shooting weaker monsters would instantly turn them into red pulp that splatters everywhere, and once in a while there'd be like a 'fruit cellar' or something you'd go into and after an ambush of monsters you'd get points for how much of the room is covered in bright red blood.

So yeah, not an old FPS, or a new one. But Kinda sorta tangentially related to the thread, I guess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

OK< don't quote me on this because I am not an expert, but AFAIK GZDoom discards the palette information of textures and graphics it feeds to the GPU.

That's it. A software renderer will do all its magic on the CPU and using the normal RAM. A hardware renderer will feed the textures to the VRAM and let the GPU take care of things. So GZDoom needs to send the textures (in the broadest sense of the term -- sprites and other graphics are textures too) to the VRAM, and it needs to make them fit in. If you're playing a mod with a ton of textures and other graphic resources, and you're using HQ4X on top of that, you can saturate the VRAM of even a modern video card.

Technical details about each texture format is on the wiki. Note that the DXT formats are intended to be used for the large-sized, photorealistic textures of modern games (you know, where 1024x1024 is considered low-res). In the same way that you don't mind JPG compression on a photograph, but it'll look awful on a low-res pixel art piece, it isn't an optimal choice for Doom's small textures.

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009

Supreme Power posted:

And I can only use it in software rendering mode, which prevents me from actually finishing the game. :suicide: How did you get it working in zdoom?

Played it via the Grezzo2.exe file. The author of the mod is bathing in the hatred of the Doom modders like it is a money bath.

It uses multiple WADs and other resources. Not sure if some of the older dehacked mods work any more as they needed DOS to work properly.

I hear Reelism has "dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees" but I cannot find a video of it. I also cannot find a download of the zip file that is not corrupted, you rear end!

Call of Dooty II crashed for some reason also, just using the WAD itself.

I think I'll just stick to normal Doom II and Simpsons Doom.

Tim Chuma fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 13, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tim Chuma posted:

I hear Reelism has "dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees" but I cannot find a video of it.
That's not completely accurate. Only one dog does that, and he's also the pope.

:haw:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Is that why they made him pope or is it all part and parcel of papality? :ohdear:

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
I don't Doom much these days but I picked up Doom3:BFG edition to get the Doom2 episode.
Its a lot better than I expected, map02 and map05 are really fun maps, prettier than I expected too.

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009

The Kins posted:

That's not completely accurate. Only one dog does that, and he's also the pope.

:haw:

And a tough little bastard, I need to stop playing this and go to bed. Am in a funny mood after two nights of no sleep.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

Is that why they made him pope or is it all part and parcel of papality? :ohdear:
Animal Popes and other non-human messengers of higher powers all have different abilities. Dogs have the bee thing, sheep can levitate for brief periods, bears have low-level telepathy and cats don't have one after that whole incident with The Unspeakable One.

Also, I started hacking together a dumb little thing for Samsara. Very early so far, but it could be neat. :)

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I played a coop run through with Samsara on Vanguard.wad. I was pleasantly surprised by how fun it was to Quake it up on slaughtermaps - props!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone have a link to a working download for Samsara's pk3s? The ZDoom forum thread links for both the Zandronum and ZDoom versions are broken.

Never mind, found one. It keeps giving me some SeekerBall error in console but it works fine.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 13, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

No filter

HQ2X filter

Yes...HQ2X is somehow where things go full blown Vaseline mode...by subtly sharpening textures...:rolleyes:

The second screenshot really does look blurrier to me, especially on busy textures like the green stuff on the walls. Don't know what to tell you.

I just leave it on nearest neighbor.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 13, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Supreme Power posted:

Still, I've certainly seen worse Doom mods than this. I've actually played a lot of 2.5D and 3D games that were worse than this. The Story Mode is kinda fun.

I wasn't even being sarcastic, I genuinely liked that they had Doomcenter as a menu option. And I enjoyed both story campaigns, even if I didn't make it too far in either one because I had no idea what was happening or how to proceed. But you can't not love a game that has you brutally killing people in Heaven and facing off against God (represented by some Italian guy I don't know... I'm sure it'd be biting satire if I knew who it was), then in the very next level you're driving a racecar around on a track filled with people and more priests... and also Jesus.

It's just completely insane, and I think I love it :allears:

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Tewratomeh posted:

I wasn't even being sarcastic, I genuinely liked that they had Doomcenter as a menu option. And I enjoyed both story campaigns, even if I didn't make it too far in either one because I had no idea what was happening or how to proceed. But you can't not love a game that has you brutally killing people in Heaven and facing off against God (represented by some Italian guy I don't know... I'm sure it'd be biting satire if I knew who it was), then in the very next level you're driving a racecar around on a track filled with people and more priests... and also Jesus.

It's just completely insane, and I think I love it :allears:

I think it's going to be interesting when Grezzo 2 is found on the computer(s) of the next person that decides to go on a killing spree in a crowded area.

I don't think even the Columbine (and similar) games really even compare. Even with the English translation, for the most part you have to kill lots and lots of innocent people to progress in the plot, and none of it makes any sense. There's no real rhyme or reason for any of the killing, aside from the insane voices in your head. Oh, and has anyone had any success killing that God character on the top of the mountain? And what about that one guy in the building near the bus? I think it's impossible, even when cheating.

As short as the game is, I don't think I've had this much fun playing a new game (wasn't the full version released like, half a year ago?) in such a long time. Of course, if this game actually was published and released in the USA I'm sure people would be buying copies of it just so they could burn it Fahrenheit 451 (or Nazi) style.

On an unrelated note, it seems like brutal doom has gotten less gory than it used to be. The version in grezzo 2 is different... (I don't really agree with the theft of everyone's intellectual property, but y'all should at least admit that in this case the end product actually does look good.)

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 13, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Supreme Power posted:

I think it's going to be interesting when Grezzo 2 is found on the computer(s) of the next person that decides to go on a killing spree in a crowded area.

I don't think even the Columbine (and similar) games really even compare. Even with the English translation, for the most part you have to kill lots and lots of innocent people to progress in the plot, and none of it makes any sense. There's no real rhyme or reason for any of the killing, aside from the insane voices in your head. Oh, and has anyone had any success killing that God character on the top of the mountain? And what about that one guy in the building near the bus? I think it's impossible, even when cheating.

As short as the game is, I don't think I've had this much fun playing a new game (wasn't the full version released like, half a year ago?) in such a long time. Of course, if this game actually was published and released in the USA I'm sure people would be buying copies of it just so they could burn it Fahrenheit 451 style.

You can kill God, I did it with IDDQD and the double sawed-offs (which uhhh are a cheat weapon or something? Mine had infinite ammo and fired super fast). Didn't notice anything happening as a result, though I've seen a video showing that if you find and kill God (or whoever that is) in the freeroam city map the crucified Jesus will come to life and start flying around shooting missiles and poo poo.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

The Kins posted:

Animal Popes and other non-human messengers of higher powers all have different abilities. Dogs have the bee thing, sheep can levitate for brief periods, bears have low-level telepathy and cats don't have one after that whole incident with The Unspeakable One.

Also, I started hacking together a dumb little thing for Samsara. Very early so far, but it could be neat. :)
I don't know about the other games, but I've been working with the resources from Marathon a lot lately, so if you have any problems with those I might be able to help you out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keeping my eye on this one :)

Supreme Power
Jun 9, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Zaphod42 posted:

Keeping my eye on this one :)

What is that?

A remake of Shadow Warrior?

VVVV - I actually thought the political incorrectness of the original was what made it so charming.

quote:

Why does thinking about sex make me wanna crap?
Do you want to wash Wang or do you want to watch Wang wash Wang?
Woops, Lo Wang drop soap, you bend over get it, hahaha.
Howsa that for kung fu fighting you chickena poo poo?
You are weak as a baby fart, go live in fear.
Man who buy drowned cat pay for wet pussy.
Man who fart in church sit in own pew.

Supreme Power fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Supreme Power posted:

What is that?

A remake of Shadow Warrior?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJY3d5OGXa0
From what's been shown so far, it's actually looking to be pretty sweet. They're planning to try and do actual jokes this time around that don't rely on a mish-mash of Asian stereotypes, so there's that to look forward to as well.