Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We know that each Primal pack definitely has a legendary treasure chest, I imagine if boosters were going to be on a loot table it would be the legendary one(s?).

But yea, because of stupid timezones I totally missed the thing. Speaking of timezones, I hope there will be other ausgoon GKs around to raid with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Lone Goat posted:

I must have missed that, I'm not following the forums that closely because most of the important information is getting distilled here. But Cory definitely said on stream "maybe even another booster" inside the treasure chest.

There's a compiled list of Q&A stickied in their general forums right here, which I think is where I first saw it.

quote:

Q:How many cards per booster pack?
A:It's 15 cards per booster (1 Rare/Legendary, 3 Uncommon, 11 Uncommon) as well as a special treasure chest that will conatin a random goodie.

And when you draft you get the chests from the packs you open. Something I was curious about.

Grim posted:

We know that each Primal pack definitely has a legendary treasure chest, I imagine if boosters were going to be on a loot table it would be the legendary one(s?).

Nothing was really said about rarity of the types of treasure you could get, but I imagine the primal pack has at least a higher chance for the likely rare incidence of bonus boosters.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Grim posted:

But yea, because of stupid timezones I totally missed the thing. Speaking of timezones, I hope there will be other ausgoon GKs around to raid with

Well, it's about the same 20 posters in here so chances are slim. Perhaps there is a hidden club of goons who bought in and aren't speaking about it? :ninja:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think that has more to do with being in Trad Games - it's drat hard to pin down because of the blend of TCG + MMO, plus being purely a digital TCGs it could even fit in Games proper (like the Scrolls thread)

Either way if timezones get in the way at least there is always the weekend!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Yea...this Hex thread is the first time I ever ventured into the Traditional Games section so there's bound to be more like me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Once the game is actually out (or at least in Alpha) then there will be more traffic in here. For the next couple months it's just going to be us lapping up every drop of information we can find.

By that point we can worry about guilding up, or whatever.

ishootudie
Dec 12, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Yea...this Hex thread is the first time I ever ventured into the Traditional Games section so there's bound to be more like me.

Same here. I bought in at the DC tier through Kickstarter. I didn't even know this thread was here until I saw someone link it in the recommend me a tablet thread in IYG.

I have been following the updates from Hex and checking out the new cards. Definitely looking forward to September for Beta access.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Lone Goat posted:

Once the game is actually out (or at least in Alpha) then there will be more traffic in here. For the next couple months it's just going to be us lapping up every drop of information we can find.

By that point we can worry about guilding up, or whatever.

At that point I really think we'd be better off moving it to games. The more traffic it gets the bigger the goon community will be, why not put it somewhere more visible if it fits?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

To be honest I think Games is a better fit even now. Literally every other thread on the first page of the forum is about physical games, and Hex is a video game.

e: The TG rules even say "This is the forum for all games not played on a computer."

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 13, 2013

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

To be honest I think Games is a better fit even now. Literally every other thread on the first page of the forum is about physical games, and Hex is a video game.

Yeah it might be worth it to move it there if we can, so it can get some more exposure since I'm sure people will want to get in on the Slacker Backer option to get in alpha/beta and everything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

Some of the MTG threads have a good deal of MTGO discussion. The thread might be better off in games, or possibly MMOs, but I was under the impression that the mods had already discussed this and decided to put it here so the issue may already be decided.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

pumpinglemma posted:

e: The TG rules even say "This is the forum for all games not played on a computer."

Yea Scrolls and DOTP are both in Games. If we ever want to have multiple threads kind of like how Magic is this might be a better spot though.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

pumpinglemma posted:

When Hex is released I'm pretty sure there will be a Games thread. I think the mods wanted to keep it out of Games because of just how many similar popular kickstarters there are out there in alpha / not yet beta.

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
Is there even that much worth saying until August?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Crosswell posted:

Is there even that much worth saying until August?

Eh, not much more than to try to get people to get a Slacker Backer.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

katkillad2 posted:

Yea Scrolls and DOTP are both in Games. If we ever want to have multiple threads kind of like how Magic is this might be a better spot though.

Now there's some optimism I can get behind. Multiple threads about Hex Legacy, Deckbuilding, Standard. :allears:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I didn't get a response to my initial request to make a games thread, but I got special permission to make one here. So if someone can get mod permission to move it, that's fine with me. Also, did anyone ever fine an archived recording of the E3 panel?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/hex-shards-of-fate-6410011/ ?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/hex-shards-of-fate-6410011/
edit: Beaten :orks:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What is a Primal Pack anyways?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

A booster pack with all cards being a mixture of rare/legendary, including a legendary treasure chest. When a booster pack is bought there's a small chance it will be a primal pack. Not sure if boosters won from a tournament can be primals.

Bobbin Threadbear fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 13, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

A booster pack with all cards being a mixture of rare/legendary, including a legendary treasure chest. When a booster pack is bought there's a small chance it will be a primal pack. Not sure if boosters won from a tournament can be primals.

Will VIP packs have this chance?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

Will VIP packs have this chance?
The only thing I've seen cryptozoic write about it, is that it's a random chance when buying packs. I imagine torunament/VIP will though, cryptozoic seems very fan friendly.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
They've said that even the packs you get as part of your Kickstarter pledge have the chance of being primal packs (the extra primal pack for $65 and up is simply one that's guaranteed to be one). So I imagine that basically any situation in which you obtain a booster pack has some chance of yielding a primal pack.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'll be able to resist cracking open every Primal I get my hands on, the best I can hope for is that I have the restraint to not open them all at once

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Grim posted:

I don't think I'll be able to resist cracking open every Primal I get my hands on, the best I can hope for is that I have the restraint to not open them all at once

If you plan on opening all of them, would it make a difference if you open them all at once or not?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I think the worst thing about this game being all digital is that you won't get to physically open the booster packs. There's nothing quite like that feeling.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

On the other hand, they can fit a treasure chest in them. That's kind of a neat incentive, and it looks like it takes the spot of a basic resource in the pack since they don't need to have those in there.

Speaking of resources, I'm sure we'll see some nonbasic ones. I'm thinking the most likely is a 0/1 resource that gives two types of threshold, since it acts like a land coming into play tapped. Other things that would be neat is an 0/2 resource that doesn't give threshold or a resource that charges twice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I feel like this has been discussed, but since we're on the topic of Primals, are we going to know that a given pack is Primal before we open it? Can we accidentally draft with a Primal and have to pass 14 rares and legendaries?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It's been confirmed that Primal packs are visibly Primal from the moment they're generated (and they can't be used in drafts).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I wonder how many people are going to be using their free drafts to cherry pick the most valuable card they can each round and how many are going to be drafting to win.

I imagine you are going to have some soft competition right at the beginning.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

It's been confirmed that Primal packs are visibly Primal from the moment they're generated (and they can't be used in drafts).

This is a bit of genius on the devs' part - if a drafter is buying packs for an event and gets one, they have to buy a 4th pack to actually enter the draft. As a result, a lot of the primals that get generated will result in an extra booster sale. Crypto makes more money and the player isn't annoyed because they just got 15 packs worth of rares/legendaries.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

nerox posted:

I wonder how many people are going to be using their free drafts to cherry pick the most valuable card they can each round and how many are going to be drafting to win.

I imagine you are going to have some soft competition right at the beginning.

Back when I played magic, this was a huge deal. People would often take valuable rares right out of the gate even if they didn't plan on using it. Because if they win, whatever, they get a valuable rare out of it! I imagine a boatload of people are going to be snagging rares up, and you'll probably never see a legendary passed to you.

Once, a guy actually took a rare that he knew in advance his rival was trying to get his hands on just so his rival's built deck wouldn't get stronger. They got into a physical fight over that one :allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zonekeeper posted:

This is a bit of genius on the devs' part - if a drafter is buying packs for an event and gets one, they have to buy a 4th pack to actually enter the draft.

Or more likely, they'll trade the Primal pack for multiple regular booster packs and get their next draft for less.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Vincent Valentine posted:

Back when I played magic, this was a huge deal. People would often take valuable rares right out of the gate even if they didn't plan on using it. Because if they win, whatever, they get a valuable rare out of it! I imagine a boatload of people are going to be snagging rares up, and you'll probably never see a legendary passed to you.

Once, a guy actually took a rare that he knew in advance his rival was trying to get his hands on just so his rival's built deck wouldn't get stronger. They got into a physical fight over that one :allears:

Raredrafting is a thing that happens and it's hard to stop. Who actually wants to open a pack with a $30 card and pass that card to someone else? The best ways to stop raredrafting are to either redraft all the rares at the end of the draft or to draft with someone else's packs who is keeping all the cards.

Hatedrafting - taking a card you won't play that someone else will - is also a thing that happens, but not nearly as often. Many Magic players consider hatedrafting a poor strategy, because you're not making your deck any better.

Both are things that will absolutely happen in Hex. If there are clunkers at Legendary, I can see them getting passed (Eye of Creation is kind of unwieldy), but for the most part, at least early in Hex's life, people will be raredrafting just to get rares.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Kairos posted:

They've said that even the packs you get as part of your Kickstarter pledge have the chance of being primal packs (the extra primal pack for $65 and up is simply one that's guaranteed to be one). So I imagine that basically any situation in which you obtain a booster pack has some chance of yielding a primal pack.

Well, it only happens when the pack is generated, so you can't buy regular boosters off the AH and have them turn into primals--but you can buy primals off the AH. An incentive to buy boosters from Crypto, I suppose.

Also, no, you can't get primals when getting boosters for drafting, I don't think.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Hatedrafting - taking a card you won't play that someone else will - is also a thing that happens, but not nearly as often. Many Magic players consider hatedrafting a poor strategy, because you're not making your deck any better.

Not only are you weakening your own deck by wasting an early pick in the second or third booster on a card you don't want to use, you might not even hurt another player when there are other cards that fit in their decks.
And if taking that card actually did hurt an opponent, chances are that you won't even face him, so you're just helping another player win his match.
And even if you do face that player, he might not even draw that card in your match...

So yeah, hatedrafting usually is a bad idea if you want to win.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 13, 2013

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tamba posted:

Not only are you weakening your own deck by wasting an early pick (usually in the second or third booster) on a card you don't want to use, you might not even hurt another player when there are other cards that fit in their decks. And even if taking that card actually hurts an opponent, chances are that you won't even face him, so you're just helping another player.
And even if you do face that player, he might not even draw that card in your match...

So yeah, hatedrafting usually is a bad idea if you want to win.

I've seen LSV do it (having watched an embarrassing amount of his draft videos) fairly routinely with late picks that have nothing useful for his deck to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It sounds like this wasn't hatedrafting in the usual sense, it was hatedrafting to stop the card from being used in subsequent constructed games.

• Locked thread