Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

A yamaha triple engine will end up in a supersport for sure, but I doubt it'll be that one...wrong displacement for racing.

I'm not sure how true this is anymore; the new zx6 is a 636, the duc 848 is competed in 748cc AFAIK and so on. It's easy enough to make a small number of bikes with the cut-down displacement to homologate for racing; Kawasaki did it for the first 636. The various classes started as a racing homologation requirement but they're basically shaped by marketing nowadays.

Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

And this (not just the wheelie, ear bursting noise levels, and slooooooow riding holding up traffic and pissing people off) is why I'll only ride with a few people at a time and will never take part in any kind of big group ride, memorial or otherwise. It's just obnoxious.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I'm not sure how true this is anymore; the new zx6 is a 636, the duc 848 is competed in 748cc AFAIK and so on. It's easy enough to make a small number of bikes with the cut-down displacement to homologate for racing; Kawasaki did it for the first 636. The various classes started as a racing homologation requirement but they're basically shaped by marketing nowadays.

Perfect.

The 636 was never raced in 636 form, Kawasaki made a really cool homogulation zx6rr with a slipper and some other bonus parts. The 848 gets sort of a pass with a really heavy restriction, and the 675 makes sense as typically they allowed 750 twins vs 600s. But there is no way they will put a 850cc triple in with the 600s or the liters. Its too powerful for the 600s, and too underpowered for the liter class. Plus, I would imagine they want to do it right - the gain of a triple is how loving narrow the engine can be, so the new R675 will take advantage of that with insane weight centralization and a fantastic, narrow frame. No need to blaze a new trail with regards to homogulation and the like. Plus, yamaha has made it pretty clear they're willing to build engines for street bike use only, like the new vmax, fz8, and the other MT (01?). I imagine this is their triple testbed and they'll build off this general design for the eventual 675 and 1100cc supersports.

Thank god the 600 market is getting cool again :3:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 12, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Since the new bikes thread seems to have gone out with a whimper, I'll just post this here instead.

For those too lazy to click; Yamaha MT-09. 850cc 115hp crossplane crank triple. 188kg wet. Some kind of Street Triple challenger?

I'm pretty sure the msrp of this is the same as my FZ6 when it came out. Whoever bought my FZ6 got ripped off.

Kinda looks like more of a pain to work on but the motor is inviting to me, being used to a blah 600 for street riding.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 12, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

I like how he saves it from falling over and gets the kickstand down before the cop face tackles him. Priorities!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I guess we'll just assume their behavior before the video warranted a takedown by the cop when the rider was clearly stopping?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Guinness posted:

I really wish BMW would do something like an S600RR, but the market might be too cramped for that.

This is exactly what I've been dreaming of :sigh:

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

nsaP posted:

I guess we'll just assume their behavior before the video warranted a takedown by the cop when the rider was clearly stopping?

:rolleyes:

Tell us about how the cop caused the accident by hitting his brakes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

Clearly stopping on one wheel in the middle of traffic

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Guinness posted:

I really wish BMW would do something like an S600RR, but the market might be too cramped for that.
When the S1000 came out, I read an article in a BMW magazine with an interview with one of their directors or something saying they had no plans to do a 600 because the R&D costs on a 600 are as much as the 1000 but you have to sell it for like $4k less so you don't make any profit.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

The 636 was never raced in 636 form, Kawasaki made a really cool homogulation zx6rr with a slipper and some other bonus parts. The 848 gets sort of a pass with a really heavy restriction, and the 675 makes sense as typically they allowed 750 twins vs 600s. But there is no way they will put a 850cc triple in with the 600s or the liters. Its too powerful for the 600s, and too underpowered for the liter class. Plus, I would imagine they want to do it right - the gain of a triple is how loving narrow the engine can be, so the new R675 will take advantage of that with insane weight centralization and a fantastic, narrow frame. No need to blaze a new trail with regards to homogulation and the like. Plus, yamaha has made it pretty clear they're willing to build engines for street bike use only, like the new vmax, fz8, and the other MT (01?). I imagine this is their triple testbed and they'll build off this general design for the eventual 675 and 1100cc supersports.

Thank god the 600 market is getting cool again :3:

There's the mt-01 musclebike and mt-03 singlebanger ladybike. :) I say ladybike beause the only personI know who has ridden one was a lady who couldn't stop from falling over and over again because of, presumably, too much torque.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Found on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1fvkrp/porsche_is_involved_in_other_things_besides/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol redditors actually think that was made by porsche and not some trash OCC-esque shop, also there is a guy there arguing that his v-rod is the most advanced bike package on the market.

holy poo poo :reddit:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Legdiian posted:

:rolleyes:

Tell us about how the cop caused the accident by hitting his brakes.

Accidents warrant being taken down? If I rear end a cop, he can tackle me?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Clearly stopping on one wheel in the middle of traffic

He put his kickstand down.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There really needs to be a no quoting z3n rule on the forums so people who have him on ignore don't accidentally read his posts. There is no way in hell Yamaha ever builds anything but 600 and 1000 sportbikes.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

nsaP posted:

Accidents warrant being taken down? If I rear end a cop, he can tackle me?

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lol redditors actually think that was made by porsche and not some trash OCC-esque shop, also there is a guy there arguing that his v-rod is the most advanced bike package on the market.

holy poo poo :reddit:

If you're knowledge of the market is limited only to things Harley-Davidson is involved with then that statement is true.

V-Rods give me a hard rod when I look at them. Then when I go to touch or try and ride one I'm always left extraordinarily disappointed by not obtaining the fun they look like they should provide. They're the motorcycle equivalent to a stripper.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

There really needs to be a no quoting z3n rule on the forums so people who have him on ignore don't accidentally read his posts. There is no way in hell Yamaha ever builds anything but 600 and 1000 sportbikes.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/next-yamaha-r6-and-r1-will-be-triples/21621.html

Didn't you say something about BMW never making a supersport I4 back in the day? :allears:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Legdiian posted:

I can't tell if you are serious or not.

Really? Takling someone by their face after a motorcycle accident is warranted. Obviously the accident is 100000000% the riders fault by why would the cop tackle him afterwards?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

Really? Takling someone by their face after a motorcycle accident is warranted. Obviously the accident is 100000000% the riders fault by why would the cop tackle him afterwards?

Because 100% of stunt riders run?

e - Stop calling this a motorcycle accident.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Legdiian posted:

Because 100% of stunt riders run?

e - Stop calling this a motorcycle accident.

Yeah all cops are trained to take someone who has just been involved in a accident by the neck and throw them to the ground.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

HNasty posted:

Yeah all cops are trained to take someone who has just been involved in a accident by the neck and throw them to the ground.

I'm checking out of this conversation.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
... the MT09 looks are growing on me. I'll probably end up owning one.
edit: And if the R6 shifts to a 675 I'll be dropping my Triumph in favor of a Yamaha ASAP.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 12, 2013

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I wonder if the 2013 675 motor bolts into the older frames. You know, for when I blow up my current motor.

Well, if you'd quit doing wacky poo poo like zip ties on battery terminals... :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Halo_4am posted:

If you're knowledge of the market is limited only to things Harley-Davidson is involved with then that statement is true.

V-Rods give me a hard rod when I look at them. Then when I go to touch or try and ride one I'm always left extraordinarily disappointed by not obtaining the fun they look like they should provide. They're the motorcycle equivalent to a stripper.

I rented a v-rod for a weekend. The forward controls were the most obnoxious thing ever. The motor is nice, but just when you get to the point where you think "ok this is about to get fun!" it hits the rev limiter.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I rented a v-rod for a weekend. The forward controls were the most obnoxious thing ever. The motor is nice, but just when you get to the point where you think "ok this is about to get fun!" it hits the rev limiter.

I wish I could have caught a picture of the guy I saw on the ride back to work... suffice it to say that the typical Harley rider physique is not flattered by forward controls. He looked like a fat kid going down a playground slide.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NipplesTheCat posted:

Well, if you'd quit doing wacky poo poo like zip ties on battery terminals... :colbert:

Yeah, about that.... :v:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Hay guuuuyssss what's going on? So I decided to go to yourope and ride around bikes for a bit, the plan was to land in Germany, get some bikes and ride to Switzerland and Italy and then back to Germany. Here are some pics.

I rented a BMW F800R from a dealership in Munich, it's a p cool bike, not really built for autobahn ballin, tops out at 210KPH and vibes a bit at anything over 120.

My homeboy rented a bigger bimmer, it was p cool and had heated seats and bars and stuff. Which will come in handy later.

The dealership also had some other cool bikes in it.

We had to take something called trains to get around, might seem ridiculous to us but the natives are totally comfortable using these things.

Luckily my friend lives in Germany and has a giant SUV so I didn't have to travel with natives the entire way. After roughing it, it was nice to get back to civilization for a bit.

The first day on the bikes sucked balls, it was 42 degrees and raining the entire time, oh and also Germany was experiencing 100 year flooding.

We were supposed to go to prague but the city was literally being evacuated the day we were supposed to go. Good times.

Luckily we came prepared for an eventuality, I swear I didn't buy any gear on the spot in Germany.

Frequent stops at gas stations for coffee and buttered pretzels kept us going, it was ADV as gently caress, roughing it out in the wild.

I forgot my camelback at home but luckily I was able to find alternative hydration systems to keep me going.

When the cold got to be too much we set up camp for the night.

Drying my gear.

By the time we reached Switzerland, the weather had broken and it got real pretty real fast.

The final approach to the city of Interlaken, where we were gonna stay in Switzerland.

Passed through here one day.

Stopped for lunch made some friends.

Rode a bunch of passes when I was attempting to cross over into italy, Grimselpass, Susten, Gotthard pass. They were all closed and by the time I figured out that all passes were still closed I would take me 3 hours to back track to the tunnel to cross into Ital. On this day much like Hannibal I was to be denied entry into Italy.

Another pass.

Stopped for coffee and people were still skiing

After the adventure in the Alps I returned to Germany to find it sunny and dry and I rode the hell out of the Black Forest, which I almost liked more than the Alps.

German lunch

I made some cool new German friends

They all rode cool bikes, no harleys.

Welp friends that's about it.

If this post is too long or you have more questions I'll start a thread. Don't probate me. TIA

Also here is a link to the album with a few more pics
http://imgur.com/a/FGKSw

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
That was a p cool trip report and I am jealous.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Pulsejets are the most awesome, noisy and dangerous thing ever.

How mr. Furze has not managed to kill or even seriously maim himself yet, I have no idea, but as long as he keeps cranking out insane machines, I'll be watching his videos.
He posted the followup to the jet bike testing video. That thing looks like is a fatal accident waiting to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHz7wOjb9w

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Halo_4am posted:

This.

I have yet to ride one, and probably never will as it'd be pointless ... when I was looking at them, I realized that they have that ugly shock showing at the rear wheel, and when I had my Virago, I hated that drat shock. It got in the way of my saddlebags, and I find it ugly.

If they ever make a V-Rod w/o that stupid shock, I may go for a test ride. They do look fun, and as unlike a "Harley" as they can get.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
New Summer = New bike for me. Much shorter than Eugene or St.Louis this time. Still have the Street Triple, TW200, Zuma.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

titanium posted:

New Summer = New bike for me. Much shorter than Eugene or St.Louis this time. Still have the Street Triple, TW200, Zuma.

That's such a sexy bike. I wonder what it looks like with its fairing off... :heysexy:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Linedance posted:

That's such a sexy bike. I wonder what it looks like with its fairing off... :heysexy:

Oddly enough I was changing the coolant tonight.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

When you're done with this you let me know, OK?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

999 buddies! :buddy:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

titanium posted:

God, how this would look, parked outside of my local coffee shop.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Z3n posted:

999 buddies! :buddy:

Hell yeah! I was going to pick up an 06 non S in Colorado but due to them not having the valve work done right at 7k miles I decided on the older local one with fewer miles. Ended up getting it for $7,400 so I'm super stoked on it. Totally different beast than my Triple, makes me love them both even more for their unique personality but holy poo poo I never knew how poorly setup my Triumph was for my size and weight till riding this bike.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

God, how this would look, parked outside of my local coffee shop.

Haha, hopefully I can bring it up to Brainerd International this year. Cut me some slack on the chicken strips I just had the rear tire replaced and the previous owner had worn nothing but the dead center of it out for all 5,000 miles of its life (over 10 years) before I bought it 2 weeks ago.

titanium fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 13, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Such a loving sexy bike. Congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why people disliked the headlights so much, I thought they were rad back when they were new.