Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Someone gets sassy after he hacks a big old website! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I made a sandwich today with some real spicy horseradish, but what I really had a craving for was some Dog Penis Medicine. Just can't find that stuff anymore :sigh:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I don't know why but Beef dialing the phone in this panel gets me every time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 2, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ray in a nutshell.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah

I love how Onstad writes the UK.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The amount of facets that they go through of Todd's terribleness continue to amuse and amaze me. The worthlessness of Todd is a fractal.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here are six panels I find very funny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron La Croix posted:

I love how Onstad writes the UK.

Later in that same strip:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

projecthalaxy posted:

The amount of facets that they go through of Todd's terribleness continue to amuse and amaze me. The worthlessness of Todd is a fractal.

Todd has made hell of mistakes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Solomonic posted:

Todd has made hell of mistakes.

Indeed he has.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Cloks posted:

Here are six panels I find very funny.

I am not in the loop for frankenstein anatomy but wouldn't Ray be right for ease of construction? If you cut through the middle of a joint thats a lot of complex parts to re-attach.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Todd messing up his taxes so bad he nearly got lethal injection is still pretty much the funniest thing I've ever read.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I love Spaghetti's Dad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I am not in the loop for frankenstein anatomy but wouldn't Ray be right for ease of construction? If you cut through the middle of a joint thats a lot of complex parts to re-attach.

Then you'd have to splice muscles together instead of just popping the joints back in place

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Toebone posted:

Then you'd have to splice muscles together instead of just popping the joints back in place

It just seems more complex to me especially if you're working with parts from different bodies. I also didn't sleep well last night so thats probably most of my confusion.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm trying to find the Achewood where Onstad says something to the effect of "I always like to make sure people's authority is a real thing" or something.

One of those perfect gems like the "being in trouble is a fake idea" thing that has stuck with me for years.

Warm Body
Sep 18, 2007
The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps to tap, at three, on the teeth
Is this the one?

"I'm careful in life to make sure that power is actual."
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01152010

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
That's it! Thanks, just a throw away Ray line but so great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Such a conscientious little otter :3:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I've tried using the last panel in conversation but it's...difficult

e: first time in nearly ten years I try using attachments and I utterly fail at it :smith:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

The most important advice a friend can give.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No one has ever called Dilbert a horse dogg maniac. :ssh:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Is there anywhere one can still get the 8-page special comic that's (brokenly) linked to in this strip?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Well... it's officially been a year since there's been a new strip. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Well... it's officially been a year since there's been a new strip. :smith:

:nws: This strip :nws: feels sadly appropriate :smith:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Penguissimo posted:

Is there anywhere one can still get the 8-page special comic that's (brokenly) linked to in this strip?

Heyyyyy, found it online

Looks like it was also included in one of the print collections of Dark Horse's online stuff. The description for Volume 4 says there's Achewood content in there as well.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Hahaha, Téodor can never play off Ray's playful assholeness. He needs to act more like a knucklehead from old times to handle him. Beef knows you got to beat Ray into submission once in a while by reminding him of his Poor Lifestyle Choices.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Wow. Roast Beef is the color of depression.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Are we getting a frikkin TV show or what?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Presumably someone in a focus group said a mean thing about his voice acting and now he's weeping into a stuffed animal under a depression lamp. I hope to be wrong.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

As a hardcore Achewood connoisseur since old times and a quasi lurker who considers you guys a cadre of internet bros, the TV show absolutely shouldn't happen. I felt a pit of disgust when one of the guys pretended to be pregnant in the trailer and it turned out to be a gift for Philippe. In the comics it would have been a mediocre joke, exactly deserving of the two seconds of eye flicking it would take to travel between panels. Curing Ray of heights was funny, conceding to Bush's presidency for Mickey Mouse was funny and both of those demanded about 10 seconds of my time. In that trailer it took me just as much time to 100% realize Philippe was getting a present while I sat there and watched the droll theatrics painfully transpire. It was a humorless burden.

An Achewood TV series would end just as poorly as Dilbert, but perhaps even faster. The show would be propped up by a temporary scaffolding of fans until they abandon the show steadily in tiers, from tepid readers to the relentless fanatics. This thread itself contains those much closer to the latter, and even we weren't enchanted by the show. I'm not going to be surprised if potential investors picked up on that and figured penny stocks were a better option.

I am sorry, my brothers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roast Beef pretending to be pregnant so they could give a gift to Phillipe was a great joke when it was a strip.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Scags McDouglas posted:

As a hardcore Achewood connoisseur since old times and a quasi lurker who considers you guys a cadre of internet bros, the TV show absolutely shouldn't happen. I felt a pit of disgust when one of the guys pretended to be pregnant in the trailer and it turned out to be a gift for Philippe. In the comics it would have been a mediocre joke, exactly deserving of the two seconds of eye flicking it would take to travel between panels. Curing Ray of heights was funny, conceding to Bush's presidency for Mickey Mouse was funny and both of those demanded about 10 seconds of my time. In that trailer it took me just as much time to 100% realize Philippe was getting a present while I sat there and watched the droll theatrics painfully transpire. It was a humorless burden.

An Achewood TV series would end just as poorly as Dilbert, but perhaps even faster. The show would be propped up by a temporary scaffolding of fans until they abandon the show steadily in tiers, from tepid readers to the relentless fanatics. This thread itself contains those much closer to the latter, and even we weren't enchanted by the show. I'm not going to be surprised if potential investors picked up on that and figured penny stocks were a better option.

I am sorry, my brothers.

The issue with the teaser reel is that Onstad doesn't really understand which aspects of the strip can be translated to a temporal medium and which will require tweaking. If he got the right team working on it, though -- people who have the same subtle sense of humor and are also animation pros (Loren Bouchard & co. come to mind) -- I think an Achewood cartoon could work really well.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Heyyyyy, found it online

Looks like it was also included in one of the print collections of Dark Horse's online stuff. The description for Volume 4 says there's Achewood content in there as well.

You're the MAN, thanks!! I didn't get on the Achewood train until last year or so, so I missed out on all this stuff while it was happening.

Scags McDouglas posted:

I am sorry, my brothers.

Perhaps you worded this awkwardly, so forgive me if this isn't a surprise, but you do realize the "Beef gives birth to a board game" gag was from an actual strip, right?. I agree with both of you guys that the demo reels we saw didn't perfectly translate the comic gags to animation, nor did they select the best ones from the strip, but the one original gag ("Scones") gives me hope :unsmith:

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 13, 2013

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I liked the TV pitch a lot! But the stuff in there that works better in print works better, I think, mostly because Onstad and whoever else just isn't used to working in animation as a medium. If the show gets picked up (fingers crossed until my bones are broken an my hands are rendered useless and gross) then I can only imagine it'll get better as everyone gets used to it and finds a nice groove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I can see Achewood being at most an 11-minute show like Metalocalypse, or if it doesn't make it off the computer, a 5-minute online deal like Bravest Warriors. I too thought "Scones" was hilarious and have already referred to them as "what a teacher or prisoner would eat" in public.