Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's what I'm planning on, lodging my application for a secondary ed programme at UTAS (for 2015) in 2 months :woop:

I'd apply for Adelaide, too. Hobart is quaint even by Adelaide's standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

shep posted:

Have a look into doing your RSA online, I'm not sure which states let you do it (NSW does) but it beats sitting around in a classroom for a day. I didn't bother with the RCG as I wasn't really interested in working in the sort of places that have gambling machines but if you're desperate for a job it does increase the places you can apply.

I was going to do this originally but I read that not everywhere will accept a certificate you get from an online course (I've no idea if the certificate itself is any different than one you'd get from a face-to-face thing but it probably specifies on it that it was online?) and whether or not that's the case I've booked myself onto a 4-hour course the day after tomorrow anyway so oh well! Also booked the RGC for a couple of weeks time because while I'm the same and don't really want to work in places that have slot machines etc., if push comes to shove I would rather work somewhere like that than have nothing so I guess it's worth doing \/:)\/

Applying for a job this week so wish me luck (just glass-collecting, ha) :)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
What are the best options for getting from Cairns to Port douglas? From what I can tell it's cab, bus, or car rental (no train I take it?) I think a car is out for Im-an-american reasons.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

What are the best options for getting from Cairns to Port douglas? From what I can tell it's cab, bus, or car rental (no train I take it?) I think a car is out for Im-an-american reasons.
You can rent a car, just be careful and you'll be fine. Actually driving in cities on the other side of the road I found easier to learn on than in the country, because you will literally always be following other cars, you're not just randomly going to veer into oncoming traffic because you can't remember what side to drive on.

That said, I'd probably take a bus. Cab fare would be like a million dollars since it's an hour drive one way. Bus would be cheaper, and depending on where you're staying, they might even organize transport from Cairns to Port Douglas for you.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Take the bus. They leave every hour and take you to the front of your hotel. (From the airport, at least, but they probably have stops in Cairns proper.)

cajunspitfire
Feb 16, 2013
When I moved to Melbourne from Louisiana, i found driving was actually pretty easy. You tend to pay more attention. Of course, I use to drive down the center line so I was set either way. Just remember, no right on red.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HookShot posted:

You can rent a car, just be careful and you'll be fine. Actually driving in cities on the other side of the road I found easier to learn on than in the country, because you will literally always be following other cars, you're not just randomly going to veer into oncoming traffic because you can't remember what side to drive on.

Yeah, I find it pretty easy to drive on the other side as long as there's other traffic. The only times I've had goof-ups have been on deserted roads (both overseas, and going back to the US after being used to Japanese roads).

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
I found getting used to driving on opposite side of the car more disorienting than driving on the opposite side of the road. You get this weird phantom limb syndrome where you lose track of exactly where your car extends to.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Any reason you wouldn't want to do your Master's in Australia?

Actually that did occur to me. I suppose the only reason would be that I'm entering a convenient one year program, and I'm not in a financial position to do it another way.

I also figured more experience and an advanced degree would give me a better chance at getting approved for a work visa and getting hired someplace.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

I found getting used to driving on opposite side of the car more disorienting than driving on the opposite side of the road. You get this weird phantom limb syndrome where you lose track of exactly where your car extends to.

I also found this going on holiday to Iceland and driving on the right hand side. I found it difficult take turns properly, I kept having to re-adjust mid turn when the road bent left because I was all over the place, it was like trying to do something finicky with your non preferred hand. A lot of the roads there outside of the city are long slow turns a swell so it must have been funny to see it from behind.

shep
Aug 31, 2003

I am sad because I am stuck with no bacon in the middle of the ocean.

Gloomiebat posted:

I was going to do this originally but I read that not everywhere will accept a certificate you get from an online course (I've no idea if the certificate itself is any different than one you'd get from a face-to-face thing but it probably specifies on it that it was online?) and whether or not that's the case I've booked myself onto a 4-hour course the day after tomorrow anyway so oh well! Also booked the RGC for a couple of weeks time because while I'm the same and don't really want to work in places that have slot machines etc., if push comes to shove I would rather work somewhere like that than have nothing so I guess it's worth doing \/:)\/

Applying for a job this week so wish me luck (just glass-collecting, ha) :)

Ah well for future reference (if you move to another state) you can do it online and get the same photo-card as everybody else from the post office, you should probably check that the test you take is from an approved site but other than that you'll be fine. Bars don't care where you took the test as long as you have the certificate and photocard, the only people who care about the whole RSA situation is licensing/police.

Good luck with the job, glass collecting is a foot in the door and is hard to do badly. When it's quiet you should see if you can get one of the bartenders to show you the basics behind the bar, depending on where you're working I suppose.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

shep posted:

Ah well for future reference (if you move to another state) you can do it online and get the same photo-card as everybody else from the post office, you should probably check that the test you take is from an approved site but other than that you'll be fine. Bars don't care where you took the test as long as you have the certificate and photocard, the only people who care about the whole RSA situation is licensing/police.

Good luck with the job, glass collecting is a foot in the door and is hard to do badly. When it's quiet you should see if you can get one of the bartenders to show you the basics behind the bar, depending on where you're working I suppose.

Thanks dude. I didn't get the glass-collecting job (annoying but at least they got back to me quickly) but I've applied for a couple of other things so fingers' crossed. Job hunting is actually the most frustrating thing in the world (I was in my last job for 8 years so I'd forgotten how soul-destroying it was) so I really hope I can strike lucky soon! Going to hand out some more resumes tomorrow when I'm in town. I'm just worried that the fact I can only work for six months maximum for any one employer will put off potential employers from the get-go? Has any of that sort of thing come up in interviews and so on for any other people? Like I guess no-one would say glass-collecting/similar is a permanent career but I don't want them to think I'll be unreliable or anything.

All the bar/cafe work I've looked at wants barista/wait-staff/bartending experience, of which I have none :ohdear:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Gloomiebat posted:

All the bar/cafe work I've looked at wants barista/wait-staff/bartending experience, of which I have none :ohdear:

Ha yes, that's the bizarre thing with the job world. Every employer wants someone with two or three years experience minimum but it's impossible to get that experience because no one wants to hire someone who is completely new to the job.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Octy posted:

Ha yes, that's the bizarre thing with the job world. Every employer wants someone with two or three years experience minimum but it's impossible to get that experience because no one wants to hire someone who is completely new to the job.

The obvious solution is to spend your summer break doing unpaid internships in hospitality work!

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Or lie like we all do, I bullshitted my way into barista work in Melbourne with no experience and now I'm getting poached by competitors cafes after 6 months. I just learned on the job and worked a ton of hours its not rocket science like people would have you believe. Just start out somewhere kinda lovely or take a barista course so you at least know your way around a machine

Bulging Nipples fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 16, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, references and experience is what friends are for.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bulging Nipples posted:

its not rocket science like people would have you believe.
Pretty sure that most people in here know that its not rocket science, and the actual complaint was that everyone required 2+ years of experience for entry levels grunt jobs.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
Yeah, I know it's fairly straightforward once you get started but it's the getting started that's the problem, everywhere I've looked (especially for barista work) wants experience and unfortunately I'm not confident enough to bluff my way into a job like that. I don't mind working somewhere poo poo even part-time, just so I've got some sort of income to subsidise my daily expenses (I've got savings of course but don't want to be eating into them too much) and so I gain the experience in order to get a better paying job. My only experience is a decade in retail and customer service but no-one in that industry wants to hire anyone for 6 months max, augh. I'm still okay for money, but I'm so bored and I need something to do during the day.

Bummed out at the moment, but I saw David Wenham yesterday and he is such a dreamboat :swoon: so that was a bit of alright.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

Pretty sure that most people in here know that its not rocket science, and the actual complaint was that everyone required 2+ years of experience for entry levels grunt jobs.

Right. That's why I suggested lying about that experience, because literally everyone does it.

Bulging Nipples fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 18, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gloomiebat posted:

Yeah, I know it's fairly straightforward once you get started but it's the getting started that's the problem, everywhere I've looked (especially for barista work) wants experience and unfortunately I'm not confident enough to bluff my way into a job like that. I don't mind working somewhere poo poo even part-time, just so I've got some sort of income to subsidise my daily expenses (I've got savings of course but don't want to be eating into them too much) and so I gain the experience in order to get a better paying job. My only experience is a decade in retail and customer service but no-one in that industry wants to hire anyone for 6 months max, augh. I'm still okay for money, but I'm so bored and I need something to do during the day.

Bummed out at the moment, but I saw David Wenham yesterday and he is such a dreamboat :swoon: so that was a bit of alright.

You came from England, literally make up jobs you had in the same industry and I guarantee you no one is going to actually check up on it.

Also, lie about your visa and tell them you're here on a marriage visa or something, then quit after six months.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

So I'm gonna be spending five and a half days in Port Douglas in two weeks time and was looking for some suggestions of things to see and do outside the realm of packaged tours. I've booked a snorkeling trip to the reef, but besides that and maybe checking out the Sunday Market, I don't have much planned beyond eating (mud crab and fresh fish especially) and lazing around on the beach sketching doughy tourists. Any suggestions for some free, cheap or otherwise lesser known stuff to do around there? I'm spending a week in the rainforest afterward so that area's already covered (lots of self-guided walks).

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I don't have any advice as I spent my time in Port Douglas just wandering around/lazing around but FYI muddies are out of season and might be hard to come by! :)

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

Sharks Below posted:

I don't have any advice as I spent my time in Port Douglas just wandering around/lazing around but FYI muddies are out of season and might be hard to come by! :)
Nuts! Oh well, I guess I will be satisfied with anything I can pick out of a tank and steam alive.

EDIT: :unsmigghh:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Check out the bird sanctuary and bring your camera (and insect repellent). If you're there with a partner, have dinner at the Nautilus, it's amazing. Also check out the evening cruise on the Lady Douglas, i think is the name, especially if you're with a partner. And, I went on a morning rainforest tour that also went up and down the river and then took us to a waterfall. It was pretty neat.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

HookShot posted:

You came from England, literally make up jobs you had in the same industry and I guarantee you no one is going to actually check up on it.

Also, lie about your visa and tell them you're here on a marriage visa or something, then quit after six months.

Easier said than done, but I'll try and embellish my CV with something. I just wish I could get my foot in the door at some crappy crap job :saddowns: I'm bored witless at the moment because I'm trying not to waste money.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?
Hey Gloomiebat, just saw on Twitter that Shane Delia is looking for a glassie for his restaurant, Maha. I'd get in super quick if I were you - great opportunity to get your foot in the door at one of Melbourne's best dining establishments!

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

Gloomiebat posted:

Easier said than done, but I'll try and embellish my CV with something. I just wish I could get my foot in the door at some crappy crap job :saddowns: I'm bored witless at the moment because I'm trying not to waste money.

Feel free to embellish your CV as much as you like since nobody is ever going to phone another continent to check. Just be honest when applying for your visa, Australian immigration can become a nightmare if they have the slightest idea that you won't have enough money to survive.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

SonicDefiance posted:

Hey Gloomiebat, just saw on Twitter that Shane Delia is looking for a glassie for his restaurant, Maha. I'd get in super quick if I were you - great opportunity to get your foot in the door at one of Melbourne's best dining establishments!

Cheers dude! Will get my CV sent off asap. I know the six-month limitation on my visa is off-putting to employers but I can't get shot for asking I suppose. Got invited to a group interview for the film festival today as well, which is unpaid but it's a start and hopefully will lead to something else (and it's good experience) so fingers' crossed!

Dj Vulvio posted:

Feel free to embellish your CV as much as you like since nobody is ever going to phone another continent to check. Just be honest when applying for your visa, Australian immigration can become a nightmare if they have the slightest idea that you won't have enough money to survive.

The only reason I'm wary of embellishing too much isn't that they'll check up but more that they'll wonder why the hell I don't know what I'm doing when I've 'done' that sort of work before, ha. I suppose I could just say I did whatever it was so long ago I'm really rusty! Visa-wise no worries, I've already got my visa and everything (I've been here since the start of March but working on a farm) and I'm not planning on really lying about that at all just to be on the safe side.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
Gloomiebat,

You might find joining a contracting agency will help you, my work employs roughly 30% of its staff as contractors and a huge percentage of those people are Europeans with limited visas. The great thing is that if don't completely suck balls at the job you get then when your contract is up they will almost always just renew it rather than get someone new (unless money is tight). If it so happens that you are unable to stay in Australia there aren't as many hassles to letting your job go as well. On top of that if you leave Australia and then come back after the allotted time you can probably just call your previous place of work and previous contracting agency and get your job back again. We had a Irish girl do this 2 or 3 times before she was able to stay in Australia permanently, when she finally got her ticket to stay they made her permanent.

I just thought this might be a good idea as from what I have seen, most contracts these days are either 1, 3 or 6 months which would negate that feeling employers get when they see that you can (possibly) only be in the country for that long anyway.

I don't know what the contracting agency situation is like over east but I would think that there would be one for hospitality, if we have one over here in Grubby Ol' Perth, Melbourne is bound to, right?

Edit: I read further up and saw that experience is also an issue, I agree with the others - make your CV up. A contracting agency makes money from you working so if that route seems agreeable to you at least you will someone else on your side to "wingman" for you when it comes to talking with potential employees

Ulysiss fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 20, 2013

shep
Aug 31, 2003

I am sad because I am stuck with no bacon in the middle of the ocean.

Gloomiebat posted:

The only reason I'm wary of embellishing too much isn't that they'll check up but more that they'll wonder why the hell I don't know what I'm doing when I've 'done' that sort of work before, ha. I suppose I could just say I did whatever it was so long ago I'm really rusty! Visa-wise no worries, I've already got my visa and everything (I've been here since the start of March but working on a farm) and I'm not planning on really lying about that at all just to be on the safe side.

"Oh we do it differently back home" works wonders

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ That, plus it's not like the jobs you're looking for are rocket science. You'll pick it up in like, a day or two, tops.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

Gloomiebat posted:

I feel your pain, very similar to what I've been dealing with. Keep plugging away I'm sure something will turn up.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Omgz posted:

I feel your pain, very similar to what I've been dealing with. Keep plugging away I'm sure something will turn up.

It's the worst isn't it? Hope you find something soon too! I had an interview today for the film festival which went okay I thought, (sadly it is an unpaid position but would be really good experience and a start at least). I also got an email from a place I applied to before asking if I had bar experience for a different position so we'll see how that goes! :ohdear:

Ulysiss posted:

Gloomiebat,

You might find joining a contracting agency will help you, my work employs roughly 30% of its staff as contractors and a huge percentage of those people are Europeans with limited visas. The great thing is that if don't completely suck balls at the job you get then when your contract is up they will almost always just renew it rather than get someone new (unless money is tight). If it so happens that you are unable to stay in Australia there aren't as many hassles to letting your job go as well. On top of that if you leave Australia and then come back after the allotted time you can probably just call your previous place of work and previous contracting agency and get your job back again. We had a Irish girl do this 2 or 3 times before she was able to stay in Australia permanently, when she finally got her ticket to stay they made her permanent.

I just thought this might be a good idea as from what I have seen, most contracts these days are either 1, 3 or 6 months which would negate that feeling employers get when they see that you can (possibly) only be in the country for that long anyway.

I don't know what the contracting agency situation is like over east but I would think that there would be one for hospitality, if we have one over here in Grubby Ol' Perth, Melbourne is bound to, right?

Edit: I read further up and saw that experience is also an issue, I agree with the others - make your CV up. A contracting agency makes money from you working so if that route seems agreeable to you at least you will someone else on your side to "wingman" for you when it comes to talking with potential employees

Thanks for this, I don't know if I'm just failing at google but most of the places I found when searching for temping agencies/contracting places in the hospitality arena were pretty much mostly for really high class events and so on, and since I've no experience at all I really wouldn't feel comfortable trying to bluff my way into like, 5-star waitressing or something. But thank you anyway, I'm not going to give up (not quite run out of money so far, ha!) I'm moving to a hostel next week which has within it an agency that helps backpackers find temp work so I'm hoping that if all else fails that'll help me out with something. It's just my lack of experience that's both looking really bad on paper and knocking my confidence. It's not as if I was some basement dwelling shut-in who did nothing for the last ten years; I stayed at my last job for eight years (retail and front-of house customer service and I apologise but I was drat good at it despite hating every minute) and did a little freelance photography on the side as well as a copywriting internship but I'm finding I'm having to really embellish it on my resume just to make it into a two page document!

I've only been looking for about three weeks but it is a bit soul-destroying, really wish one of my friends from back home had been able to come travelling with me!

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

Gloomiebat posted:

It's the worst isn't it? Hope you find something soon too! I had an interview today for the film festival which went okay I thought, (sadly it is an unpaid position but would be really good experience and a start at least). I also got an email from a place I applied to before asking if I had bar experience for a different position so we'll see how that goes! :ohdear:

I just read back and saw that you're in Melbourne. I had a good experience with Smaart recruitment, they do a lot of stuff for callcenters etc. Might be worth it to get a sit down with someone there. Also a few of us will be playing some pool in the CBD tonight if you'd like to join, we have a facebook group called melgoons I'm not sure if you're in it.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Omgz posted:

I just read back and saw that you're in Melbourne. I had a good experience with Smaart recruitment, they do a lot of stuff for callcenters etc. Might be worth it to get a sit down with someone there. Also a few of us will be playing some pool in the CBD tonight if you'd like to join, we have a facebook group called melgoons I'm not sure if you're in it.

Thanks for the tip :) I'll check them out later, the site seems to be down at the moment?

I had no idea that facebook group existed! Where are you guys playing pool? I don't have PM's but my email is [redacted] if you want to give me details? :)

fake edit: christ emoticon central, oops.

Gloomiebat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 25, 2013

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Got a 45 minute trial shift at the Grasshopper tomorrow. Not expecting to get the job given my absolute lack of bar experience (I do have some experience making cocktails at home but nothing like what they do), but I'm not going to sit around these uni holidays doing nothing.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Gloomiebat posted:

I had no idea that facebook group existed! Where are you guys playing pool? I don't have PM's but my email is [redacted] if you want to give me details? :)

We play at Room 8 in the city, its pretty rad and $10 an hour. Just noticed you're another scot. There will be more scottish expat melgoons than australian melgoons soon. It's an invasion. Stop the planes.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

NoArmedMan posted:

We play at Room 8 in the city, its pretty rad and $10 an hour. Just noticed you're another scot. There will be more scottish expat melgoons than australian melgoons soon. It's an invasion. Stop the planes.

Ha, it's like I was saying last night that we're all like Scotland is so great but we're all in Australia. That alluring combination of money + sun!

Pool was really fun, I went from utterly poo poo to able to winning by default (once, ha) which was pretty respectable I thought :v:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Hi dudes, I took a wrong turn while digging to the US and ended up in Perth now. :downs:

Seriously though, it would be great to meet up some of you while being here. Any takers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
Ha I just got offered a trial shift or something on the 6th at a club (no interview or anything) what the hell is even going on. It's experience either way I guess?!

edit: they're being really vague in the email I'm probably going to get murdered, welp!

Gloomiebat fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 26, 2013