Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://nsnbc.me/2013/05/10/the-vaccine-hoax-is-over-freedom-of-information-act-documents-from-uk-reveal-30-years-of-coverup/

ME: do you honestly and truly believe this psuedoscientific nonsense that leads to kids literally DYING because their friends weren't vaccinated?

HIM: Thought I might find you here. Yes, I do believe that many vaccines are more harmful than helpful. I know you like to look into sources and so would encourage you to research on both sides of the equation. Really look, observe, that is true science. The medical institutions you so vocally support have numerous harmful programs in operation, I have seen, through my own research into the areas of vaccination, health, diet, mental health, education and child raising that often conditions are labelled in an information vacuum, without enough scientific basis to take action and without proof of effective treatment to warrant continuing the course taken. Unfortunately our current 'health system' benefits from sickness. That is when we pay for treatment and medicines. By its very nature this system must seek to further sickness for its own survival. If we create a system which relies on the wellness of its population, maybe then the institutional health professionals will have it in their best interests to endorse effective treatments. I do not think 'all doctors are evil' or any such wild generalisation, I have however found evidence that ineffective and sometimes dangerous treatments are allowed to continue, if not actively pushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I legitimately laughed the first time I saw this picture. Mostly because my ex-wife posts those "just girly things" tumblr pictures all the time. Also that guy's grin is infectious.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Count Chocula posted:

http://nsnbc.me/2013/05/10/the-vaccine-hoax-is-over-freedom-of-information-act-documents-from-uk-reveal-30-years-of-coverup/

ME: do you honestly and truly believe this psuedoscientific nonsense that leads to kids literally DYING because their friends weren't vaccinated?

HIM: Thought I might find you here. Yes, I do believe that many vaccines are more harmful than helpful. I know you like to look into sources and so would encourage you to research on both sides of the equation. Really look, observe, that is true science. The medical institutions you so vocally support have numerous harmful programs in operation, I have seen, through my own research into the areas of vaccination, health, diet, mental health, education and child raising that often conditions are labelled in an information vacuum, without enough scientific basis to take action and without proof of effective treatment to warrant continuing the course taken. Unfortunately our current 'health system' benefits from sickness. That is when we pay for treatment and medicines. By its very nature this system must seek to further sickness for its own survival. If we create a system which relies on the wellness of its population, maybe then the institutional health professionals will have it in their best interests to endorse effective treatments. I do not think 'all doctors are evil' or any such wild generalisation, I have however found evidence that ineffective and sometimes dangerous treatments are allowed to continue, if not actively pushed.

YOU: Before the 20th century, people tended to have many many children, often six or more, yet population growth was very slow. This was true even where nutrition was good and there was little risk or starvation. A major contributing factor to this was infant and child mortality from infectious diseases. The things we immunize against today didn't just cause problems, they literally killed enough people to prevent population growth in a society where huge families were the norm. A world without vaccination (and proper sanitation and antibiotics, it would be unfair to JUST credit vaccines though they are a huge part of it) is a world where you have to have ten kids if you want three to survive to adulthood.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Ularg posted:

I love the addition of "THEY PUT ABORTED FETUS IN THE VACCINE" like they have a stock of that stuff somewhere and has had a stock of it for a long time. I would also worry about telling them how blood donating and blood transfusions work.

"You won't put someone elses blood in my baby!"

The human cell culture line that propagates the viral strain used for, I believe, the HBV vaccine was initially derived from aborted fetal cells, decades ago. The cell line has since been propagated by normal culture techniques. I have run into hard line evangelicals who refuse to vaccinate for that reason.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'd just opt in for calling them bioterrorists then since they are putting both their kids and everyone their kids comes in contact with in danger.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Confused. Green appears to be Red's mom. I guess she thinks he's doing drugs? Can't deal with her son consuming some sort of caffeinated strawberry drink or tea?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Soviet Commubot posted:

a self-proclaimed "crunchy, quiverfull mama"

A what?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

A religious nutbag with 7000 babies who doesn't shower.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

I suppose he just thinks polio and smallpox went away on their own. Sort them just walkin' off into the sunset, hand in hand, after whispering to each other that their work was done and that sometime, in the future, they'll be back. Of course they'll only come back as a result of nutjobs not getting vaccinated. That stupid rear end falsified study did just way too much harm, and it's only compounded by people thinking big pharma companies put the stuff out to intentionally make you sick to get your health care dollars. There's another hotbutton sharepost going around now claiming aspartame is poison. I'd put a response in that it sounded like the same stupid bullshit as the anti-vaxxer club and got a quick response about how i need to "do my research", both about vaccines and aspartame, which is already one of the most studied and researched food additives you can even find.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

vaguely posted:

A religious nutbag with 7000 babies who doesn't shower.

Who eats vegan, or nothing but grains ala the "crunchy"

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
I'm on a friend's tablet that I have no idea how to screengrab on, but I posted an article about the anti-vax movement on my Facebook and, while I didn't get any anti-vaxxers or anything, I got like four or five moms who proudly informed me that they had decided to vaccinate their children after "researching both sides of the debate." It's like, okay, I'm really glad that they vaccinated, and I'm not saying that we should blindly accept all things ever, but vaccination is NOT a debate! The mere idea that vaccination is a potential health risk that you have to assess before deciding whether or not to do it to your kids is in itself nutjob anti-vaxxer bullshit.

Also: I have a student who keeps trying to friend me on Facebook, even after I explained to both him and the class in general that I don't accept friend requests from students. This is the fourth time he's tried. What the hell?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Try telling him it's part of the school's official policy to not have current students get linked up with any teachers/professors (wherever it is that you work) on social networks that they currently have a course in? Something about potential bias or along those lines.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

I would think gangs might have something more inconspicuous to do, rather than indiscriminately slaughtering the first people they come across but what do I know? :shrug:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

utada posted:

I would think gangs might have something more inconspicuous to do, rather than indiscriminately slaughtering the first people they come across but what do I know? :shrug:

This is bullshit, obviously, and the only thing I can think of it resembling, is that sometimes if there are black and whites down the street you flash your headlights at your homie to tell him to turn the gently caress around. Like, no gang initiation would be that drawn out, it's normally just beat the poo poo out of you if you're a dude, and if you're a chick, gently caress these dudes, then let us beat the poo poo out of you.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Turtlicious posted:

This is bullshit, obviously, and the only thing I can think of it resembling, is that sometimes if there are black and whites down the street you flash your headlights at your homie to tell him to turn the gently caress around. Like, no gang initiation would be that drawn out, it's normally just beat the poo poo out of you if you're a dude, and if you're a chick, gently caress these dudes, then let us beat the poo poo out of you.

Around here, people flash their lights 1) if you don't have your lights on, 2) if you have your brights on or 3) there's a cop waiting just over the hill to catch speeders. Everyone does it or has had it done to them so it's just a case of 'let's make it super scary and get a lot of shares'! That people are so loving gullible is what gets me, but I guess that's pretty much Facebook in a nutshell.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

utada posted:

Apparently gang members are pretty much Batman villains because that is the dumbest, most over-complicated way to choose a random victim.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Isn't DARE the program that just goes around to elementary schools and tells kids how fun drugs are? Even if the rest of the post weren't obviously bullshit, what would DARE have to do with any of this? It's like they deliberately threw in unnecessary extra details for no reason other than to make the story make less sense.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's also super old. I'm pretty sure I read it before I was driving and im almost 30 now.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Fascinator posted:

I'm on a friend's tablet that I have no idea how to screengrab on, but I posted an article about the anti-vax movement on my Facebook and, while I didn't get any anti-vaxxers or anything, I got like four or five moms who proudly informed me that they had decided to vaccinate their children after "researching both sides of the debate." It's like, okay, I'm really glad that they vaccinated, and I'm not saying that we should blindly accept all things ever, but vaccination is NOT a debate! The mere idea that vaccination is a potential health risk that you have to assess before deciding whether or not to do it to your kids is in itself nutjob anti-vaxxer bullshit.

There's a surprising number of people who do not know a goddamn thing about vaccination. They never think or care about it until there's a potential person giving them reason to investigate. Most people thankfully figure out anti-vax stuff is bullshit, but they still have to do their research (Google) because they've never thought about it before.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Isn't DARE the program that just goes around to elementary schools and tells kids how fun drugs are? Even if the rest of the post weren't obviously bullshit, what would DARE have to do with any of this? It's like they deliberately threw in unnecessary extra details for no reason other than to make the story make less sense.

It is. I think it also tells kids gangs are bad, I don't personally remember anymore. That's the only connection between gangs and DARE, 99% sure.
I'm convinced they add in as many authoritative-sounding words as possible. Like DARE, and Community Policing Manager, at the bottom of it.

I hope no idiot actually believes this and lets someone cause a wreck because their lights aren't on.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Fabulist posted:

I'm convinced they add in as many authoritative-sounding words as possible. Like DARE, and Community Policing Manager, at the bottom of it.

I hope no idiot actually believes this and lets someone cause a wreck because their lights aren't on.

Not just the Community Policing Manager, but the Community Policing Manager at Chubb Electronic Security! Whatever the gently caress that is (and whatever the gently caress electronic security has to do with cars).

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

This was not what I was expecting from the Spock page, but it probably should have been.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Tiggum posted:

Nah, they just think vaccines don't work. 'Cause they're not natural, you see. Things that aren't natural are bad.

Someone I know posted this recently though:

Parents' fear of vaccinations nearly killed their son.

What started the anti-vaxxers? The 'research' linking autism to vaccines. That was picked up by Jenny McCarthy and others. Not that the vaccines are 'unnatural', but that they 'cause autism'. So what did parents do? Stop vaccinating. Why? Because they didn't want their kids to 'catch autism'. What about measles, mumps, pertussis, tetanus? Those are 'all cleared up now'. It's just autism they want to prevent. Jenny McCarthy says 'maybe some kids have to die'. So dying from measles, mumps etc is OK--so long as they don't 'get autism'. They'd rather have dead kids than 'less than perfect'--ie, autistic ones. It's one more nail in the box that will send them all to Hell.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
After some more back and forth, someone else joins:
HIM: talk to me mate i'm living proof of how the system worx as you say Bravo,,,, i got some humdingers,,,,by now if i was a simple man i would've had all my lymph nodes taken out and had a hip replacment,,,,not to mention all the meds i'd have taken,,,,plus months of re-hab coz of their diagnostic inconprehensible decisions. I would'nt even like to think about what the gently caress they give to children,,,,for whatever reasons....

Me: your FB comments and posts prove that whatever you were on didn't work

HIM: mate you have know idea what i have bin thru to even contemplate questioning what i have taken hasnt worked,,,,so do i keep being a guinea pig for these conformists that cannot think outside the square and question why you,i we question the doctors way of thinking,,,,they are institutionalised so hard and only live i a conforminst manner,,,,if i had an AK47 i would cut the lot of'em down without thinking about it for one second,,,,and like i said whatever your on is doing wonders for you,,,,so quit being a DiCKhEAd....while your ahead....

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Idiots on facebook: Uk edition!

This comes from the delightful "Poppy burners in courtt feb23rd likethis page to lock em up!" page, a phenomenal place to wallow in ignorance and poor spelling. I'd remove the names but, well, post something on a public page and it's all fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Highlights:

DEFO TRUE! Pregnant woman arrested for holding union flag:
Surprisingly untrue!

Have we not heard this! You cant be arrested for wearing a hibab!
Nah, but this might happen!

If anything happens to prince phillip the flag will be flying!
Prince Phillip is "Humerously racist" a Greek Immigrant and an unwell man of 90. What the gently caress are they on about?

FKINGRYTWEMINRITYINOWCUNTRYFKOFBK - jesus christ almighty

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

utada posted:

Holy poo poo, this hoax has been a thing since the early 90's. It's made it all the way from getting downloaded on your Juno email account over your 2400 baud modem to Facebook, and been false the whole time. That's kind of incredible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

When I read this, I just made the noise that Sideshow Bob makes when he stands on the rake.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

When I read this, I just made the noise that Sideshow Bob makes when he stands on the rake.

How does this work exactly? I've tried to find some information on the subject via Google but I'm getting a bunch of British websites and I'm not sure which are the bullshit tabloids and which ones I can trust.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

How does this work exactly? I've tried to find some information on the subject via Google but I'm getting a bunch of British websites and I'm not sure which are the bullshit tabloids and which ones I can trust.

From wikipedia:

quote:

July 2006 a story broke that Alton Towers had been hired out for the day by a Muslim group, so people of Muslim faith could attend the resort for the whole day and perform prayers and other Islamic activities.[44] It was, however, attacked by critics as an example of political correctness.[45] It was discovered that the same day had already been booked for a wedding for a non-Muslim couple and their 60 invited guests. The couple were told they were allowed to attend the day, but had to respect the Muslim rules.[46] The event was eventually cancelled due to lack of interest.

So, this is 7 year old news about something that was just a private charter event, and didn't happen anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

NeurosisHead posted:

Holy poo poo, this hoax has been a thing since the early 90's. It's made it all the way from getting downloaded on your Juno email account over your 2400 baud modem to Facebook, and been false the whole time. That's kind of incredible.

Hell, it's so old it was used as a murder in the movie "Urban Legend"

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

quote:

July 2006 a story broke that Alton Towers had been hired out for the day by a Muslim group, so people of Muslim faith could attend the resort for the whole day and perform prayers and other Islamic activities.[44] It was, however, attacked by critics as an example of political correctness.[45]

So this Muslim group got themselves together and raised the cash to book out the theme park for the whole day? Sounds like the free market in all its infinite glory! If only the EDL could be as enterprising, they too could book a white-supremacist-only day! Sounds to me like Muslims are strivers and racists are skivers :smug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

(Yes, I am the one arguing with them, I am the idiot on Facebook)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tiggum posted:

Ah yes, the good old days of things like thalidomide and polio. :downs:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Tiggum posted:

I was born in the late 1980's and most of this applies. My existence negates your post facebook user #5 :smug:

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Who posts things like this, and why?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

OmniDesol posted:

Who posts things like this, and why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHdXtlTx3ZI

it's some dumb thing Tyler the Creator did

edit: changed link to a better one. The esmarelda thing is at the very end

Pead has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Jun 14, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tiggum posted:

Man, reading stuff like this makes me wonder what my generation will be insufferable about when I get old.

"When I was a kid, we played video games by pressing buttons with our fingers while squinting at a tiny 58 inch TV, none of this newfangled hyper-conscious virtual reality crap. And when we wanted friends we didn't just integrate into the hive mind, we had to go online and post on internet forums!
Why does every 9 year old need a personal robotic assistant? :argh:"

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Once again, bitchsandwich proves to be the best tumblr.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
One of my friend's sisters just posted this. For the record, we live in Oklahoma, but I consider most of the people I associate with to be a little more liberal than this.

The first and third comments are me, and the second comment is another friend who I wouldn't think would agree with this.

HOW CAN ANYONE LIKE JOE ARPAIO?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ritcheyz posted:

Because our society tends to treat criminals as less than human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

ritcheyz posted:

Do you enjoy racism, hate drugs and basic rights, like feeling superior to others, don't care too much about sexual assualt and love being TOUGH ON CRIME? Then you'll love Sheriff Joe!

Basically this

• Locked thread