Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I read online before going to Spain that Europeans don't wear shorts, sneakers or baseball hats and only the latter was true in my adventure, so I was wearing long pants, uncomfortable shoes and baseball hats the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
Sicily is absolutely fantastic and mindblowing, my favourite Italian region (and I'm Italian, guess it counts something).

Taormina dude. Don't you dare to leave the island before going there.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Parisians don't wear shorts in Paris.
They will (very often) wear shorts when on vacation.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
southern Europeans' attitude towards shorts is more or less the same as Americans' towards people who wear pajama pants outside. Cosmopolitan cities and pretty much the entire northern and eastern part of the continent just don't care at all whether you wear them.

E: I wear shorts there anyway because gently caress pants, it's hot. And you're not going to pass for a local anyway. Just try not to be obnoxiously tourist and it's fine. (don't wear convertible pants)

duralict fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 11, 2013

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I will not wear shorts during the workday, but I guess that is a given. I will however wear them on the weekend and after work (not in the evening when going out though). Hoewever, running shoes are for running, not for wearing them with white socks and shorts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kolta posted:

Heading to Prague Sunday. Can't wait! Slovakia is great and all but I need a change of scenery. Anyone wanna grab a beer?

How long are you going to be staying? I might not be available on Sunday but I'd be up for it during the week.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm going to Barcelona for the first time in a few weeks. Any suggestions, things I should read, or things I should know (other than beware of pickpockets)?

Petey fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 12, 2013

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
The pickpocket threat in Barcelona is highly overblown at this point. You still shouldn't leave poo poo lying around where it can easily be grabbed but Las Ramblas is very different than it was five years ago.

Plan your church/cathedral visits for the morning and evening. Most of them charge entry in the afternoon but are free after about 4:30 (the specific hours depend on the church though).

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

duralict posted:

The pickpocket threat in Barcelona is highly overblown at this point. You still shouldn't leave poo poo lying around where it can easily be grabbed but Las Ramblas is very different than it was five years ago.

However if a Ramblas whore walks up and grabs your balls, try not to be immediately paralyzed by fits of drunken laughter - her other hand is in your pocket!

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

pylb posted:

Parisians don't wear shorts in Paris.
They will (very often) wear shorts when on vacation.

When I lived in Paris I rarely saw anyone other than tourists wearing shorts. That said, just wear well-fitting shorts if you want. No one cares what you look like.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So I'm traveling to Europe next month to visit some friends and have a bit of a time away from Asia.

The first place I'm going is Berlin, to meet up with a friend I'll be traveling around with. Looking at plane tickets, flying in to Frankfurt is close to 400600?!?!? USD cheaper than flying into Berlin for whatever reason, and a train ticket from Frankfurt to Berlin seems to only run about 60-70 Euro on some websites I've checked. Is there something horribly wrong with this plan that I'm missing?

I was also planning on spending about 1 day in Frankfurt which will be mainly spent doing some work in a jetlagged stupor in whatever hotel room I find myself in before heading to Berlin the next day, but there are probably better ways I could spend that time so suggestions would be nice.

fake edit: I also noticed there are two different Berlin airports, and I will be flying out of Berlin. Is one markedly better/easier to get to/etc than the other? Flights seem to be about the same-ish price from either.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

How long are you going to be staying? I might not be available on Sunday but I'd be up for it during the week.

Me and my fiancé will be there until Thursday. Then we're heading to Berlin. Pm me.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Frankfurt is a major hub, especially for Asian flights. You could also check out Munich for good flights.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Magna Kaser posted:

The first place I'm going is Berlin, to meet up with a friend I'll be traveling around with. Looking at plane tickets, flying in to Frankfurt is close to 400600?!?!? USD cheaper than flying into Berlin for whatever reason, and a train ticket from Frankfurt to Berlin seems to only run about 60-70 Euro on some websites I've checked. Is there something horribly wrong with this plan that I'm missing?

Nothing wrong with this plan. The Frankfurt airport is far busier than any of the ones in Berlin, so it's not that surprising it's cheaper to fly to.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Frankfurt is a major hub, especially for Asian flights. You could also check out Munich for good flights.

I am a bad poster. I already got my tickets to Frankfurt because of the price. Munich was similar to Frankfurt in price, but not on the days I wanted to fly in. I was mainly wondering if flying in then training was some horrible mistake I've made, and if anyone knew anything interesting to do in Frankfurt.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The old city centre, city hall and cathedral are worth seeing, especially if you have any interest in gothic/neogothic architecture or Holy Roman Emperors. If you're only there for a day (or a part of one), I'm adverse to recommending anything less obvious without knowing what you're interested in/looking for.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.

Petey posted:

I'm going to Barcelona for the first time in a few weeks. Any suggestions, things I should read, or things I should know (other than beware of pickpockets)?

Go to Cafe de L'Academia for dinner one night. It's on Placa Sant Just. Not cheap, not extremely expensive, but somewhere in between. The food, though, is amazing. You can order half portions, which means you can try more things. Highly recommended.

They only open between 20:30 and 23:30 and for lunch I think.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I'm headed to Paris and then Florence for the next few weeks for the first time. I'm interested in putting as much different delicious food in my mouth as possible. What are some restaurants or delis I can't miss? Budget isn't an issue.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I'm headed to Paris and then Florence for the next few weeks for the first time. I'm interested in putting as much different delicious food in my mouth as possible. What are some restaurants or delis I can't miss? Budget isn't an issue.

If budget isn't an issue, you can't go wrong with Le Meurice in Paris.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

Magna Kaser posted:

So I'm traveling to Europe next month to visit some friends and have a bit of a time away from Asia.

I was also planning on spending about 1 day in Frankfurt which will be mainly spent doing some work in a jetlagged stupor in whatever hotel room I find myself in before heading to Berlin the next day, but there are probably better ways I could spend that time so suggestions would be nice.

fake edit: I also noticed there are two different Berlin airports, and I will be flying out of Berlin. Is one markedly better/easier to get to/etc than the other? Flights seem to be about the same-ish price from either.

Nah. Frankfurt is lame, literally a town with some skyscrapers that are horribly out of place. Save for energies for Berlin, you'll need them.

Berlin Schönefeld has several train connections to the city, you'll be able to get there using the S-Bahn network from literally any single location of the city, unlike Tegel.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Magna Kaser posted:

Frankfurt is the biggest German airport while Berlin has 2 airports that are slated to be closed once the new one is finished building (only god knows when that will be). Its probably because of the very limited capacity of Berlin that Frankfurt is so much cheaper.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kolta posted:

Me and my fiancé will be there until Thursday. Then we're heading to Berlin. Pm me.

Sorry, I don't have PM. But my email's mobby.6kl at gmail so... just let me know.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So I guess we're actually staying in Sitges, which I understand is a super gay tourist hotspot??

Should be interesting with my family.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Two questions.

Should I bring my cell phone, buy one for Europe before I leave, or buy one in Rome.

What is the best/easiest/cheapest GPS solution for backpacking. TIA

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

spacebrospiff posted:

Two questions.

Should I bring my cell phone, buy one for Europe before I leave, or buy one in Rome.

What is the best/easiest/cheapest GPS solution for backpacking. TIA

Where are you from? If you're from the US you'll need to buy a phone in Europe unless you're with T-Mobile. Otherwise unless your phone is SIM locked, you can bring it with you and simply swap the SIM card. If you need to buy a new one do it in the US electronics is much cheaper there.

The easiest GPS would be a cheapo Android phone as long as you can always depend on a network connection. You'll only need a real GPS device if you want to do fancy cross country hiking trips way out in nature. And those aren't easy to find in Europe anyway considering you're never more than a stone's throw from the next village unless you go to like northern Finland.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

peak debt posted:

Where are you from? If you're from the US you'll need to buy a phone in Europe unless you're with T-Mobile. Otherwise unless your phone is SIM locked, you can bring it with you and simply swap the SIM card. If you need to buy a new one do it in the US electronics is much cheaper there.

The easiest GPS would be a cheapo Android phone as long as you can always depend on a network connection. You'll only need a real GPS device if you want to do fancy cross country hiking trips way out in nature. And those aren't easy to find in Europe anyway considering you're never more than a stone's throw from the next village unless you go to like northern Finland.

US. And I have a Verizon phone I feel like replacing so maybe just use wifi? I heard wifi is pretty prevalent in the cities. I'm trying to decide whether I should just get the international calling plan for verizon for the month or get a phone in europe. I think it would be cheaper just to keep my phone.

Would you recomending I just use my android phone for calling (international calling plan and skype to skype through city wifi) and GPS (city wifi)?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

spacebrospiff posted:

US. And I have a Verizon phone I feel like replacing so maybe just use wifi? I heard wifi is pretty prevalent in the cities. I'm trying to decide whether I should just get the international calling plan for verizon for the month or get a phone in europe. I think it would be cheaper just to keep my phone.

Would you recomending I just use my android phone for calling (international calling plan and skype to skype through city wifi) and GPS (city wifi)?

Although I don't know about Rome specifically, WiFi typically isn't as widespread that you can use it for GPS. Mostly bars and hotels and they like to limit it with logins.

Local prepaid SIM with 3G is going to be much cheaper than your US plan and gives you a month's worth of 3G for about €10. There are two downsides however: 1) any phone you get with a prepaid SIM will be very cheap, but also SIM locked. Kinda useless if you're only staying a month. 2) Leave Italy and you can't recharge and if you somehow could, roaming charges are still pretty insane in the EU. So you'd need a new prepaid SIM for that country.

This is slowly changing due to upcoming EU regulations, I'm finally on a plan where I can use my data + unlimited calls in the EU at €70 a month. It'll be a while before this happens with cheap prepaid SIMs though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

:siren: You can pre-load maps on Android phones with Google Maps so you don't need an active data connection for navigation. :siren:

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

DNova posted:

:siren: You can pre-load maps on Android phones with Google Maps so you don't need an active data connection for navigation. :siren:

You're blowin my mind. You say navigation, but how would the phonste know where it is without data. Or do you just mean navigation in the general, non android-gps way.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

spacebrospiff posted:

You're blowin my mind. You say navigation, but how would the phonste know where it is without data. Or do you just mean navigation in the general, non android-gps way.

The phone knows where it is because it has a GPS receiver, which does not require any data connection. To SHOW you where you are, it needs maps, which you can pre-download in a really intuitive way with the app.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

DNova posted:

The phone knows where it is because it has a GPS receiver, which does not require any data connection. To SHOW you where you are, it needs maps, which you can pre-download in a really intuitive way with the app.

Word. Thanks dude :)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

spacebrospiff posted:

Word. Thanks dude :)

No problem. Only bother with paying for cell service if you really need it. I think it's pretty easy to get by with wifi, even if you can only get it a few minutes a day at your hostel. Your Verizon phone will be useless in Europe in terms of actual service, so forget that idea. But as a tiny tablet computer with Wifi it can be extremely useful.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
My wife and I have an unlocked GSM iPhone 4 that we buy SIM cards for when we arrive in a new country.

This week is Austria. A1 charged €10 for 1000 minutes, 1000 SMS, and 1gig of data. We have tmobile in Germany (15 euros gets a card, 99 cents a day for data), and Vodafone in Czech Republic (same basic deal).

Protip for iPhone users in big cities: get the app called "Metro." Really useful for getting around on bus, tram, and subways. You basically need to know zero about the layout of any city's system as long as you have a ticket.

Headed to Andechs today. Innsbruck is an awesome little town. The people are friendly, the food is typical German-speaking-food awesome, and the vernicular up the nordkettenbahn was cool.

It sounds silly given that we've been so many places over the years, but my wife and I fit it easily into the top five places we've been.

Also, get your rear end to Prague. Now. Seriously awesome.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Heading to Prague in about an hour.

As for GPS. I wouldn't worry about it. All you need is a metro map, a thumb tack* and a piece of string** and you're all set.

*Thumb tack may cause harm and is not required.

**String is not required.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Carrying a thumbtack on an airplane will probably cause you to end up in Guantanamo so a GPS might still be the better option.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

DNova posted:

* in some countries (not here in Estonia for example). Used to work in older Google Maps versions, too. :(

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

pigdog posted:

* in some countries (not here in Estonia for example). Used to work in older Google Maps versions, too. :(

What the gently caress? I was going to call you crazy but I tried it for myself and you are correct. Is it some weirdo licensing issue?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ok here is some information: http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2650347&topic=2649131&ctx=t%20opic

Note that such popular destinations as "Wallis and Futuna" and "Saint Kitts and Nevis" are available but Estonia is not ;)

The good news is that a majority of the globe is covered.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I reached the maximum limit with 3 more cities to go! O well, I can download the last three after I leave Italy I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm done in Prague. Sorry we couldn't meet up. It's been a crazy couple days. Prague is amazing though.

Now I'm headed to Berlin for a few days. Any suggestions on museums. Like, must see ones.