Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Isentropy posted:

So the Toronto Police just raided the complex and homes near where the crack video was taken and confiscated all of the cellphones. He's actually going to loving win this one.

Well, there's an interesting question. Assuming this raid was a move to gain access to the video, are the police on Ford's side or not? Is the intent to make the phone disappear or perhaps was it done to get access to the phone and 'leak' the video to the public? I don't know Ford's past history with police funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Canuckistan posted:

Well, there's an interesting question. Assuming this raid was a move to gain access to the video, are the police on Ford's side or not? Is the intent to make the phone disappear or perhaps was it done to get access to the phone and 'leak' the video to the public? I don't know Ford's past history with police funding.

He had a showdown with Chief Blair re: cutting police budgets in his first year. As far as I can recall Blair refused to cut police budgets 10% and in the end Ford backed down but the Chief really seemed to disappear from the public eye after that.

If I had to guess, I'd say there is bad blood.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm guessing a raid of this size needed more than a month of prep. I very much doubt this has anything to do with the Ford video, except maybe tangentially.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

I'm guessing a raid of this size needed more than a month of prep. I very much doubt this has anything to do with the Ford video, except maybe tangentially.

Yeah, I agree. The Star is reporting that police picked up information about the crack tape as part of their surveillance though.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

This article has to be a troll. I've never heard of this Brian Lee Crowley guy until now but some of the statements in here are ridiculous.

Brian Lee Crowley posted:

Mass transit is chiefly a poorly designed and very expensive social program for those who don’t have a car. We’d be better off buying them cars and spending the leftover money on well-designed roads, preferably where people were charged for every kilometre they drove and a premium at rush hour to reduce congestion.

Kilometre and rush hour charges are good but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't part of the point of rush hour charges to encourage people to use public transit instead of adding another car to the road? Even if the point is just to time-shift some journeys, it won't solve everything. How is buying everyone a car supposed to improve gridlock? We would still have the same number of people trying to get back to suburbia at the end of the day. I don't even know where to start. Even Rob "End the War on Cars" Ford is in favour of some transit funding (albeit for expensive subways over other options).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/my-homage-to-the-undeservedly-hated-car/article12504347/

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sounds like the kind of guy who just throws overpasses and cloverleafs all over his cities in Simcity instead of just adding a few bus stops and commuter trains.

They're not that expensive, just put the bus stop on that empty square, you putz! :argh:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shofixti posted:

This article has to be a troll. I've never heard of this Brian Lee Crowley guy until now but some of the statements in here are ridiculous.

Kilometre and rush hour charges are good but, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't part of the point of rush hour charges to encourage people to use public transit instead of adding another car to the road? Even if the point is just to time-shift some journeys, it won't solve everything. How is buying everyone a car supposed to improve gridlock? We would still have the same number of people trying to get back to suburbia at the end of the day. I don't even know where to start. Even Rob "End the War on Cars" Ford is in favour of some transit funding (albeit for expensive subways over other options).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/my-homage-to-the-undeservedly-hated-car/article12504347/

I wonder if his head explode were he to see all the Bay Street suits using the Yonge Line and GO trains every rush hour. Why are we subsidizing those wretched poor bankers who can't afford cars?!?!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shofixti posted:

The comments are genuinely more intelligent and reasonable than the lead articlw. How often does that happen?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dallan Invictus posted:

The comments are genuinely more intelligent and reasonable than the lead articlw. How often does that happen?

On Wente Wendesdays.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Lobok posted:

I wonder if his head explode were he to see all the Bay Street suits using the Yonge Line and GO trains every rush hour. Why are we subsidizing those wretched poor bankers who can't afford cars?!?!

Seriously. I commute into downtown Toronto every day using the GO train. Those trains are often packed - standing room only. If all of those people started driving and looking for parking downtown it would be a god drat disaster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shofixti posted:

Seriously. I commute into downtown Toronto every day using the GO train. Those trains are often packed - standing room only. If all of those people started driving and looking for parking downtown it would be a god drat disaster.

Ah a congestion charge with no alternative to driving, what an amazing plan. Poor? gently caress you you aren't getting to work today! Perhaps people too poor to drive should consider working the oil sands?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Brian Lee Crowley works at the Maconald-Laurier Institute. The Macdonald-Laurier Institute is one of the major right wing think tanks in Canada, along with C. D Howe, Fraser, the Frontier Centre, the Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, the Montreal Economic Institute and the Manning Centre (which is actually less of a think tank and more focused on training conservative staffers and activists or facilitating conservative networking). These institutes rake in huge amounts of money from a small handful of wealthy foundations run by guys like Peter Munk, Clay Riddell, the Donor family, etc.

Collectively they represent the source of most right wing commentary and analysis that ends up in the National Post or Globe and Mail. Newspaper don't have the resources nor the inclination to do a lot of investigations or analysis, so these think tanks are tasked with providing opinion pieces or analysis of ongoing issues.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I made the mistake of reading his book "A Fearful Symmetry: The Fall and Rise of Canada's Founding Values" a few years ago and hoooo boy is it ever bad. I can deal with conservative viewpoints if they're grounded in reality but this guy is just out to lunch. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. It looks like he wrote his own wiki too.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

In pure terms of energy used to transport people, public transit always wins. Even if we bought every poor person a car (which he wold also hate, the liar), who's going to pay for the gas? That's his big loving deliberate omission, the actual cost of the energy to move all the subsidized hunks of metal he's decided solve the transit issue. It's a really awful argument. You might as well say we should build blimps instead of air planes since they cost less, without ever calculating the fuel efficiency factors that makes blimps much worse than airplanes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Brian Lee Crowley works at the Maconald-Laurier Institute. The Macdonald-Laurier Institute is one of the major right wing think tanks in Canada, along with C. D Howe, Fraser, the Frontier Centre, the Atlantic Institute for Market Studies, the Montreal Economic Institute and the Manning Centre (which is actually less of a think tank and more focused on training conservative staffers and activists or facilitating conservative networking). These institutes rake in huge amounts of money from a small handful of wealthy foundations run by guys like Peter Munk, Clay Riddell, the Donor family, etc.

Collectively they represent the source of most right wing commentary and analysis that ends up in the National Post or Globe and Mail. Newspaper don't have the resources nor the inclination to do a lot of investigations or analysis, so these think tanks are tasked with providing opinion pieces or analysis of ongoing issues.

Are there any left-wing think tanks in Canada? I remember trying to do a casual search for them and all I could find were self-described liberal institutes that were basically bastions of neoliberal policies.

edit: ah found the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dreylad posted:

Are there any left-wing think tanks in Canada? I remember trying to do a casual search for them and all I could find were self-described liberal institutes that were basically bastions of neoliberal policies.

Naw they're pretty much constrained to internet forum echo chambers :haw:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

priznat posted:

Naw they're pretty much constrained to internet forum echo chambers :haw:
The problem is that government budgets have expanded and contracted for good governance research. The Canadian Center for Policy Alternatives is one that can squeak by on union funding, but that's a small pie to share. edit: I forgot about the Broadbent Institute. There's also Mowat and a couple other burgeoning policy think tanks at universities that are less compromised by an ideological fund.

However, there is a lot of money for policy advocacy on globalization and neoliberalism.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
This morning Mulcair blows through the Hill security check-point, runs several stop signs while being chased by a police car with it's lights on, pulls up to his parking spot and asks the officer "Don't you know who I am?".

:ughh:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/13/tom-mulcair-driving-stop-sign-rcmp-screening_n_3436290.html

quote:

NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair has apologized after failing to stop for an RCMP screening on Parliament Hill Thursday morning and then reportedly asking an officer: "Don’t you know who I am?"

CTV News reported Mulcair waved at officers as he drove through a security stop. Sources told CTV News he then blew through four to five stop signs on the Hill and, even with an RCMP vehicle in pursuit — with the lights on — did not pull over until he reached his Centre Block parking spot.

SEE THE FULL REPORT FROM CTV NEWS

When confronted by an officer, Mulcair reportedly asked: "Don’t you know who I am?" CTV reports he also looked at the officer’s badge and suggested he would be in trouble.

According to The Globe and Mail, Mulcair said in a statement he was simply following his normal routine when driving through the gate but the officer did not recognize him.

"Once notified of the misunderstanding, [Mr. Mulcair] had a very respectful discussion with an officer. He then immediately went down to clear up the misunderstanding with the commanding officer," the NDP said.

The NDP say Mulcair apologized and wasn't issued any warnings or citations.

A similar incident occurred in 2010 when an impatient Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre bypassed a security check on the Hill because he didn’t want to wait in line.

Poilievre apologized to the RCMP two days after jumping out of his car to push an entrance button at a check point without waiting for security to inspect his car.

NDP MP Charlie Angus said it was an example of the government thinking "rules were for other people."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

^^edit: Jesus Christ, it really bugs me when politicians, business executives or other supposedly important people pull petty poo poo like that. What kind of sense of entitlement do you need to have to think its acceptable to pull a "Do you know who I am?" when you're dealing with some poor working stiff who is just trying to do his goddamned job.

Dreylad posted:

edit: ah found the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.

United Way Toronto has released some really good reports on poverty, inequality and the need for the government to make better investments into low income neighbourhoods. Their stuff is definitely worth checking out. There's also the recently founded Broadbent Institute, which looks like it wants to fashion itself into a Social Democratic version of the Manning Centre. Universities and unions also fund a modest amount of research on policy ideas, movement building, or governance issues (though in many cases these Universities are pretty right wing, as with the Calgary School of Public Policy).

But really there's no equivalent to the right wing think tank eco system in Canada. There's a lot more money to be made writing about why climate change is a hoax and unions kill prosperity than there is to be made advocating for a new national housing strategy.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 13, 2013

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
oh wow thats loving dumb , I'm just glad there isn't an audio recording for an amazing soundbite. Still reflects poorly on his charachter.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's also the Pembina Institute, who in a healthy political climate probably wouldn't be considered as being on the left-right spectrum at all, but since the right has apparently chosen its environmental policy to be "climate change is a hoax, mine as much oil as possible, at any cost", I suppose that makes Pembina on the left.

Canuckistan posted:

This morning Mulcair blows through the Hill security check-point, runs several stop signs while being chased by a police car with it's lights on, pulls up to his parking spot and asks the officer "Don't you know who I am?".

:ughh:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/13/tom-mulcair-driving-stop-sign-rcmp-screening_n_3436290.html

Gods loving damnit Mulcair. You were doing sorelatively well too.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 13, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh goddamnit Mulcair. What politician seriously does the "Don't you know who I am" bit? When does that ever work for anyone?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Helsing posted:

The fact that a person who can write such a offensively terrible article can get a job at a think tank is depressing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dolash posted:

Oh goddamnit Mulcair. What politician seriously does the "Don't you know who I am" bit? When does that ever work for anyone?

Well I think there's a decent argument to be made that he might not need to show his ID at whatever checkpoint he went though, since it's a good bet just about everyone in Ottawa would recognize him.

But that really doesn't excuse blowing stop signs, not stopping for a pursuing RCMP vehicle, or berated the officer afterwards.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The article says he was driving through a security gate he drives through every day, and gets recognized by his face and waved through. Today he got stopped and asked if the guy knew who he was. Seems like a legit question if he got to drive through painlessly every other day.

Then he asks for the guy's badge and suggests he may be in trouble for this... God dammit Mulcair.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Alctel posted:

The fact that a person who can write such a offensively terrible article can get a job at a think tank is depressing

He doesn't just have a job, he's the managing director. And his job is pretty much to be offensively terrible so that other opinions which are also terrible start to look reasonable by comparison.

PittTheElder posted:

Well I think there's a decent argument to be made that he might not need to show his ID at whatever checkpoint he went though, since it's a good bet just about everyone in Ottawa would recognize him.

But that really doesn't excuse blowing stop signs, not stopping for a pursuing RCMP vehicle, or berated the officer afterwards.

Politicians should be forced to go through the same check points and other bullshit security theatre as everyone else, if only as a constant reminder that they are merely the highest tier of civil servants. Anything that further privileges or insulates politicians on the hill from the daily grind that the rest of us experience is a bad call in my opinion.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PittTheElder posted:

Not when it's much more decent to just show your loving ID.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It aint over till the Fat Mayor sings:

CTV News posted:

EXCLUSIVE: Toronto police probing alleged crack video linked to Ford weeks before story broke

CTV News has learned that Toronto Police were investigating the existence of an alleged video involving Mayor Rob Ford, several weeks before the story first appeared in the Toronto Star.

As part of the investigation leading to the raids on Thursday, officers obtained telephone wire-tap evidence.

A highly-placed source confirms to CTV News that on those wiretaps, persons of interest discussed that video in detail, and referred to the mayor's alleged presence in the video.

CTV News has not seen the video, and cannot confirm its existence or authenticity.

The video purports to show the mayor smoking from what appears to be a crack pipe. Mayor Ford has publicly denied using crack cocaine, and has repeatedly questioned the existence of the video.

Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair held a news conference Thursday, but refused to answer questions about the methodology of the Thursday police operation, dubbed Project Traveller, the evidence collected or whether there were any possible links to Ford.

"All of the evidence will come out in court, where it belongs," he said.

Blair also refused to confirm or comment on the CTV News report, saying it would be irresponsible to do so.

Forty-three arrests

Earlier Thursday, 43 suspects were taken into custody in the Greater Toronto Area and Windsor areas as police carried out the massive, early-morning raids, which began around 5 a.m.

A total of 39 warrants were executed by more than 800 police officers from multiple jurisdictions, with suspects in the GTA taken to Toronto's 23 Division and 31 Division for processing.

The operation targeted guns and drugs, and is part of a near year-long investigation. In total, 40 firearms were seized Thursday along with $572,000 in cash and millions of dollars’ worth of narcotics, police said.

The pre-dawn raids involved officers from many GTA police agencies, including Peel, York, Halton, Barrie, Guelph, Windsor, the OPP and the RCMP.

Police raided at least one suite inside an apartment building at 320 Dixon Rd., which has been in the news lately because of the drug allegations against Ford. According to recent reports, the apartment building is where the alleged crack video was stored.

Mercury Road raid

Police also raided the house of one of the two men pictured in a now-infamous photograph of Ford.
The address, located on Mercury Road in Toronto's Rexdale neighbourhood, was the residence of Muhammad Khattak.

In reports by the Toronto Star earlier this year, Khattak was shown pictured with Ford and a third man, Anthony Smith, who was murdered in a downtown Toronto shooting on March 28. Khattak was also injured in that shooting, which took place outside a King Street nightclub.

Officers were seen leaving Khattak's house Friday morning around 7:30 a.m. with what appeared to be evidence bags. His home is about a 10-minute drive from the Dixon Road apartments that were the main focus of the raids.

Ford: 'I support the police'

Arriving at City Hall on Thursday morning, Ford said he knew nothing about the raids and hadn't been given advance notice about the operation.

"I don't know anything about these raids. The cable was out last night so I know as much about it as you do. I heard about it on the radio coming in. I have not been in touch with the chief so your guess is as good as mine," Ford said.
However, he later added that Mark Pugash, a spokesperson for Toronto Police, had called his staff and briefed them "a little."

Ford said he wasn't upset that police hadn't given him advance notice, saying they're doing "great" work. "I support the police 100 per cent."

Heavily-armed tactical officers were seen filing into 320 Dixon and five other nearby buildings early Thursday. Officers blocked off all entrances and exits to the buildings and set up a cordon to ensure no suspects escaped.

Amber Gasla, a resident who has a four-year-old son, told reporters she offered to open her door for police but the offer was declined.

"I asked the officers, is that my door getting kicked down? They said no, it's not your door. I said are you sure it's not my door, because ... if you're looking for anybody I would gladly open the door and I have a key. He said no.

Twenty times no. Alright. I go back up to my house as soon as they let us go, and my door is broken down," Gasla said.

Before the raids, police gathered at a staging area before fanning out across the city in marked and unmarked vehicles.

More than 100 vehicles, including fire trucks and more than a dozen ambulances, were part of the convoy as police struck "multiple" locations.

I do feel bad for that poor woman who got her door kicked in. I'm not familiar with the details here but so far as I know the cost of cleaning up after a police raid is carried by whoever was unlucky enough to own the property, right?

Also:

The Toronto Star posted:

Councillor Doug Ford says he’ll have lots of time to help brother Rob campaign to be re-elected mayor in 2014.
That’s because Ford doesn’t plan to run to retain his council seat, but rather is interested in seeking provincial office in the next Ontario election, in 2015.

Councillor Ford said the firing of Councillor Jaye Robinson from the powerful executive committee wasn’t a big deal, but Mayor Ford needs to have close allies around him as the election looms closer.

“We’re just moving forward,” Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday. “We’ve got to get ready for the upcoming election in January. We want to make sure we have a team that has the same priorities as the mayor.”

Candidates for mayor and council can register in early January. Voting day is Oct. 27, 2014.

Councillor Ford was asked who would run the campaign after key members from 2010, Nick Kouvalis and Richard Ciano, said they won’t help next year unless the mayor takes steps to address his “health and well-being.”

“I’ll be working on it,” he said. “I won’t be running next time; at least, down here I won’t be running. I’ll be running away from this place in 16 months.”

The Fords’ late father, Doug Ford Sr., was a Tory MPP in the old riding of Etobicoke-Humber from 1995 to 1999.
Doug Ford has expressed an interest in running in Etobicoke North. However, relations between Ford and Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak seem to have cooled.

Hudak attended last summer’s annual Ford Fest barbecue but was evasive when asked Wednesday whether he will attend this year’s event, to be held at the Ford family home.

“I’ll look for whatever venues I can find,” Hudak told reporters of his plans to preach the Conservative message across the province while the legislature is in recess until September.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Lumius posted:

oh wow thats loving dumb , I'm just glad there isn't an audio recording for an amazing soundbite.

That's what you think. See you in 2015. :smugdog:

It is a dick move on Mulcair mostly of the whole berating the officer for doing his job. The whole "don't you know who I am?"can be taken in so many different ways depending on the tone.

It's possible that he could have just done rolling stops (which is not a legal stop) but was probably left vague as running stops for the sake of dramatic effect.

This is really a non issue since he at least went back to apologize but I wouldn't be surprised if the Conservatives and the Liberals take advantage of this.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

That Mulcair thing is pretty embarrassing but I don't think it is gonna get a ton of press since the RCMP has just launched a criminal investigation into Wright's $90K cheque

:munch:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Angry Tom strikes again!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

quaint bucket posted:

It's possible that he could have just done rolling stops (which is not a legal stop) but was probably left vague as running stops for the sake of dramatic effect.
Besides, if we learned anything at all from BC it's that running through stops is the number one indicator of being elected!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I didn't like it when Rob Ford pulled that poo poo and I don't like it now. There are few things less appealing than a politician saying some variation of "Don't you know who I am?!?!?"

Yeah we do because we put you there, fucker.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Can I throw out the possibility that "Don't you know who I am?" means "Isn't it your job to know what the Leader of the Opposition looks like when you work on Parliament Hill?"

I know it's politics but holy crap could we mountain-size that molehill faster

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tochiazuma posted:

Admittedly I'm on the left politically, but seriously what the hell media. Am I correct in understanding these stop signs were inside the parking lot? Because :lol:

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Tochiazuma posted:

Can I throw out the possibility that "Don't you know who I am?" means "Isn't it your job to know what the Leader of the Opposition looks like when you work on Parliament Hill?"

I'm not sure if you've been on the hill and through security much in a vehicle but when Pierre Pollievere did it, it was stupid as gently caress too.

It doesn't matter if they know who you are and it wasn't the parking lot. They check your vehicle at the checkpoint not just to make sure who is in it but to make sure it is safe. Then you are flagged through. Even the big green Parliamentary buses do it. It's a security concern, period.

I don't think it's much of a story either, for the record. But it was poorly handled. Then Charlie Angus called the person a "meter maid" which was a bit disingenuous too because she was an officer. Anyway whatever it's not that big of a deal anyway.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
There's also a lot of foot traffic there, and running stop signs around pedestrians isn't cool no matter who's doing it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

brucio posted:

There's also a lot of foot traffic there, and running stop signs around pedestrians isn't cool no matter who's doing it.

Pretty much, yeah

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Not when it's much more decent to just show your loving ID.

Oh I completely agree. What Tommy pulled there was pretty shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If Jack Layton had done the same thing, you guys would be clapping like dazed seals and shouting ORANGE CRUSH ORANGE CRUSH as the wheels of his immaculate stretch smartFortwo ground the pedestrians into a milky gruel.

• Locked thread