Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

peer posted:

Until he got the event message about the roman army fleeing I had no idea which side was winning or why. Probably partially the editing's fault, I guess.

The editing was largely confusing, but you could see for example that the land and naval forces were on different tabs and it was basically impossible to track both battles at once.

That was a scripted historical battle, but I'm beginning to suspect the whole 'land and naval units fighting on the same battlemap!' thing may well just turn out to be something that's technically possible but which nobody ever does because it isn't fun or practical.

Everything about the strategic map looked awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The interviewer was right about the elephants though. The camera angles and the editing was such a mess that you only saw the elephants dicking around once and the battle ended without you seeing much of the actual battle.

The flaming barrel rolls are cool though.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Khagan posted:

Those stats are insane even for a hero unit.

Try dividing them by 10. Still I think it was mentioned somewhere that they were redoing the stats system, so you probably shouldn't judge them by a shogun 2 scale until we have a hands on idea for how they feel.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Honestly, if the battles serve their purpose of being entertaining ways for Grand Strategy armies to fight that doesn't involve tedious dicerolling, I'll be happy. The campaign map and the diplomatic AI is what I'm really interested in. I thought Shogun 2's battles were great, so they could leave the combat AI alone almost completely and I wouldn't care, as long as I can upgrade my farms and bribe my neighbours.

I still can't get over how pretty that campaign map is.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

Since I love history topics like this (although I used wikipedia to verify my assumption :cripes:):

So I think they should be covered. But it's a minor detail that doesn't bother me.

Haha I was only kidding, the game looks amazing. Good info though.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Any chance of a little pie-in-the-sky talk? Which factions would y'all like to see as the main factions in a putative Medieval 3?

Srbja in their quest to take back all the clay :colbert:. I really hope to see more distinct units between the standard factions.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Wales. It has to be Wales.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Would anyone happen to have all of the released art for Rome 2 in one place?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Seeing the highly kinetic combat events in that demo really tickled a part of me. Specifically the ramming ship splitting the other in two and the scythed chariot charge sending those poor legionnaires flying. It demonstrates well what the devs were saying in earlier videos, that they want to make the combat appear to be very physical and put real weight behind large weapons.

Sometimes in these games the soldiers look like little Pikmin instead of large men fighting for their lives.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Seeing the highly kinetic combat events in that demo really tickled a part of me. Specifically the ramming ship splitting the other in two and the scythed chariot charge sending those poor legionnaires flying. It demonstrates well what the devs were saying in earlier videos, that they want to make the combat appear to be very physical and put real weight behind large weapons.

Sometimes in these games the soldiers look like little Pikmin instead of large men fighting for their lives.

Yeah, that is something that used to annoy me especially in older TW games: You'd get a sweet cavalry charge into a flank or even the rear of a unit but the only visible effect is basically their numbers/morale dropping that much faster. If this works well then the wedge formation would finally be good for its intended purpose, smashing right through a line of enemies.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that is something that used to annoy me especially in older TW games: You'd get a sweet cavalry charge into a flank or even the rear of a unit but the only visible effect is basically their numbers/morale dropping that much faster. If this works well then the wedge formation would finally be good for its intended purpose, smashing right through a line of enemies.

Lol what? The effect of cavalry sending infantry flying was toned way down from Rome/M2 to Empire/S2.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Yeah in M2 if you gave your heavy cav enough space to charge they would automatically toggle back to their lances and drop them just before impact, sending bodies flying. It was very satisfying.

I wish my cannons in Napoleon had whatever ammunition that Ballista was spitting. That whole Roman unit blew up when the missile impacted.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's your preferred army setup? In M2TW, when I play Scotland, I go with a primary line of eight Pikemen, a second line of six Highland Nobles or Swordsmen, two archers (scots archers suck), and fill the rest out with Cavalry. The Highland Nobles are loving awesome with their claymores, they devour enemy units. They aren't the strongest greatsword unit in the game (I think those are the Zweihanders), but the Nobles are so numerous and cheap to produce that it doesn't matter.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Aww. It seem they're still pushing their whole less-campaign-map goal with more battles. Of course I love battles, but stripping the campaign map screen of features and buttons to click is part of the reason I quickly got bored of Shogun 2. :(

Also, there is no way the ballistae's were that big!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A Discovery Channel show built a ballista that big some years ago. At that size I'd think it would be one of a "enormous siege engine assembled on-site in a fixed position over 2 weeks" sort of affair though.

But I really have no idea.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's your preferred army setup? In M2TW, when I play Scotland, I go with a primary line of eight Pikemen, a second line of six Highland Nobles or Swordsmen, two archers (scots archers suck), and fill the rest out with Cavalry. The Highland Nobles are loving awesome with their claymores, they devour enemy units. They aren't the strongest greatsword unit in the game (I think those are the Zweihanders), but the Nobles are so numerous and cheap to produce that it doesn't matter.

Using Stainless Steel: Giant line of spearmen in the front, normally 4-6 men deep, if the battle is bigger I put another spearmen unit behind the frontline dudes. I put my mercenary/stronger melee units on the sides, sometimes at an angle so there's kind of a 'wall' of men on each flank to protect the general in the back. the skirmishers I put behind the rest of the infantry, but in front of the general. And the cavalry I put way off on the side so they can smash the back of the enemy infantry after they've connected with mine. I always try to provoke the ai to attack me rather than charging myself, that way I can just enable guard mode and watch my dudes maul at them with little casualties.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 13, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like to select all my units at once and order them to charge the enemy general in a giant blob.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

It's right here

I think the ridiculously sized ballista must be a flavor of catapult, more out of visual flavor than any sense of history or engineering.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A lot of things need to fall into place for a simultaneous land/sea battle to happen. It's much more likely you'll have land battles with some sea support for one side or the other, with both being a once in a blue moon thing like alliance battles (or 3+ way battles in the first shoguns and medievals). Though tbh I'm having trouble seeing how people got confused by the demo fight

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I liked that the Ptolemaic Egyptians had greek-flavour warship classes (penteres, octeres) while the Romans had quadriremes, quinqueremes, etc. That seems like a detail that could've easily fallen by the wayside.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RentACop posted:

A lot of things need to fall into place for a simultaneous land/sea battle to happen. It's much more likely you'll have land battles with some sea support for one side or the other, with both being a once in a blue moon thing like alliance battles (or 3+ way battles in the first shoguns and medievals). Though tbh I'm having trouble seeing how people got confused by the demo fight

Making the Nile navigable to ships implies that there's some benefit to having them around substantial enough that you would bother there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Napoleon Total War is on sale with Gamers Gate.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Napoleon Total War is on sale with Gamers Gate.

If you don't own Napoleon, now's the time to give it a whirl! Since we're on the topic of Napoleon; have any of you installed LME? I'm kinda liking it so far, but whoever chose to edit in their own music is clearly smoking crack. As grognardy and TWC as it sounds of me, I don't want to hear the music from Gladiator when I'm sieging Istanbul with my blobs of Russian peasantry. Any ideas on how to revert to the standard music selection? :smith:

As far as Rome II goes, no announcement is complete without staring into the abyss:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?604488-E3-Video-Interview-Comments

At this point 'Prometheus' is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Imapanda posted:

Aww. It seem they're still pushing their whole less-campaign-map goal with more battles. Of course I love battles, but stripping the campaign map screen of features and buttons to click is part of the reason I quickly got bored of Shogun 2. :(

What buttons to click was shogun missing? Unless you're comparing it to Empire and its building micromanagement I guess, but Empire was actually the abnormality amongst all of the total war games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DiHK posted:

It's right here

I think the ridiculously sized ballista must be a flavor of catapult, more out of visual flavor than any sense of history or engineering.

Well, poo poo.
Sarcastic reply or no, wasn't really expecting a straight google search to turn up all of the good stuff.
Thanks.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Deakul posted:

Well, poo poo.
Sarcastic reply or no, wasn't really expecting a straight google search to turn up all of the good stuff.
Thanks.

I know right! I was really surprised at the quality of returns too.

The Abyss posted:

What was wrong with the interviewer? Seemed like a nice enough guy to me...

My favorite complaint was "Overexagerated Cities dimensions".

Because what we all really want is accurately scaled and barely perceptible settlements on the campaign map.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I know this is probably my spergers - but is anyone else really bothered by the horizontally squished minimap in the bottom right hand corner?

It's bothering me a lot.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

DiHK posted:

My favorite complaint was "Overexagerated Cities dimensions".

Because what we all really want is accurately scaled and barely perceptible settlements on the campaign map.

Historically accurate street layouts and weather thanks :colbert:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Space Wizard posted:

If you don't own Napoleon, now's the time to give it a whirl! Since we're on the topic of Napoleon; have any of you installed LME? I'm kinda liking it so far, but whoever chose to edit in their own music is clearly smoking crack. As grognardy and TWC as it sounds of me, I don't want to hear the music from Gladiator when I'm sieging Istanbul with my blobs of Russian peasantry. Any ideas on how to revert to the standard music selection? :smith:

As far as Rome II goes, no announcement is complete without staring into the abyss:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?604488-E3-Video-Interview-Comments

If you want to get fancy you can crack open their music.pack with the Pack File Manager from TWC, replace the files and then pack it back up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Wizard posted:

The only things I agree with him on are the silly amounts of dudes flying the air and the unit cards. Although when I say "agree" I mean that I don't consider them ideal, not that they ruin the game for me or something ridiculous. To address both of them...

1) Really, the sheer number of dudes flying into their was comical at times. Those chariots must have sent half the Roman formation soaring 10 feet or more into the air. It just looked a little ridiculous

2) I don't like the unit cards either. I get that they want to emulate the aesthetic of the period but I'd rather just have a unit card that looks like the actual unit. In Shogun 2 it was alright because the drawings closely resembled the units they represented. I think I'd prefer if Rome 2 just did the same thing as Rome 1 and just used an actual picture of the unit than a whole mess of black and white cards that look too similar to one another.

The rest of his complains seem pretty frivolous. What does he want ships to do, crack over half an hour? The battlefield points might look "gamey" but they serve a mechanical purpose. He complains about the unit sizes but they'll obviously be adjustable like always. And I love how he complains about "over-sized cities" like they're supposed to be modeled to scale or something.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 13, 2013

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I've never really gone on TWC's forums for anything except their modding sections and after that thread, I don't think that I've been missing much.
Bunch of drama queens and spergs that have apparently never played any Total War games prior to Rome 2 and as such have the wrong expectations.
I mean, how else would you explain their desire for Paradox levels of realism and monotony in the game? :downs:

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
I think those unit cards looked great. The art is so much cooler and more interesting than just a picture of the guy.

The TWC forums are really terrible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't think people in TWC actually play the games at all. They are just incredibly lonely.

It is so sad.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

The only things I agree with him on are the silly amounts of dudes flying the air and the unit cards. Although when I say "agree" I mean that I don't consider them ideal, not that they ruin the game for me or something ridiculous. To address both of them...

1) Really, the sheer number of dudes flying into their was comical at times. Those must have sent half the Roman formation soaring 10 feet or more into the air. It just looks a little ridiculous

2) I don't like the unit cards either. I get that they want to emulate the aesthetic of the period but I'd rather just have a unit card that looks like the actual unit. In Shogun 2 it was alright because the drawings closely resembled the units they represented. I think I'd prefer if Rome 2 just did the same thing as Rome 1 and just used an actual picture of the unit than a whole mess of black and white cards.

The rest of his complains seem pretty frivolous. What does he want ships to do, crack over half an hour? The battlefield points might look "gamey" but they serve a mechanical purpose. He complains about the unit sizes but they'll obviously be adjustable like always. I also like how he complains about "over-sized cities" like they're supposed to be modeled to scale or something.

To be fair, it seemed like the unit cards followed a more Egyptian hieroglyphic design style. If anything, I'm hoping that each faction might have custom unit cards as well.

I'm not sure if Europa Barbarorum is to be trusted on this, but apparently those massive ballistae actually did exist. They were called 1 talent Stone Projectors, and were invented by the Greeks

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ragingsheep posted:

Historically accurate street layouts and weather thanks :colbert:

On the battle map? :getin:

I think the unit cards/general iconography is great. Adds to the immersion.

I could take or leave hordes of flying dudes and giant ballista but in general I appreciate the fact that CA is going for a more arcadey approach to the visual/action stuff. I think it will serve to expand the player base, address the issue of 80% autoresolve, and bring ample lulz to the battlefield.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

1) Really, the sheer number of dudes flying into their was comical at times. Those chariots must have sent half the Roman formation soaring 10 feet or more into the air. It just looked a little ridiculous

2) I don't like the unit cards either. I get that they want to emulate the aesthetic of the period but I'd rather just have a unit card that looks like the actual unit. In Shogun 2 it was alright because the drawings closely resembled the units they represented. I think I'd prefer if Rome 2 just did the same thing as Rome 1 and just used an actual picture of the unit than a whole mess of black and white cards that look too similar to one another.

The rest of his complains seem pretty frivolous. What does he want ships to do, crack over half an hour? The battlefield points might look "gamey" but they serve a mechanical purpose. He complains about the unit sizes but they'll obviously be adjustable like always. And I love how he complains about "over-sized cities" like they're supposed to be modeled to scale or something.

But how will a modded Asterix unit work if the Romans aren't flying high enough :colbert:?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Rome's always been more arcadey than the other TW offerings, you need look no further than flaming pigs for that one.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Space Wizard posted:

Yeah I like LME, I think it gets the combat just right. As for the music just set it to zero and fire up itunes with whatever you prefer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any good mods for Shogun 2 that slow the combat down? I like the increased lethality over the older games, but I'd rather the battles not last five minutes. I also am loving the dying units struggling amongst the mound of corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Any good mods for Shogun 2 that slow the combat down? I like the increased lethality over the older games, but I'd rather the battles not last five minutes. I also am loving the dying units struggling amongst the mound of corpses.

iirc Darth Mod does that.

Also, going to hard difficulty for battles does that in an artificial fashion, by giving the AI some stat boosts.