Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, as they said you can still pause the game. What it does though is cause you to constantly be thinking to yourself, "Am I safe here? Is that a zombie I hear? How close is that zombie, do I have a few seconds to look at my map and get my bearings?" Its a good feeling to finally be back at your home base where you can peruse the inventory and all the survivors status' without worrying about poo poo.

Yea I feel like at least for me, that feeling disappeared pretty early on once I started leveling my character and I realized how easy it is to not die. Also just driving cars everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
edit: nevermind, I thought a user on the official game's forum named "stateofdecay" was an official account. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kymera posted:

Yea I feel like at least for me, that feeling disappeared pretty early on once I started leveling my character and I realized how easy it is to not die. Also just driving cars everywhere.

The game seems to be able to make me think I'm about to die, but it very rarely actually happens. I think I'm just a worrier, every time I see my car start to smoke I have visions of it crapping out right in the middle of an infestation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Man, I like the game, but I do kind of hope that the patch slows up the rate which characters go missing, get in trouble, go on hunts etc. because it seems as soon as I take care of three and start towards a story mission three more pop up. It's exhausting.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Not carrying snacks is a Dumb Idea. I'm not kidding, they're the difference between death and a cakewalk, more times than you realize. I'd rather have a full stack of snacks (or two) and 1 bottle of meds, than vice-versa.
I've never ran into a problem yet where Snacks were better than Meds/Firebombs. I'll start running before the mob shows up and toss a firebomb when they're bunched up from chasing me. Also Sweepkick is OP on the people that have it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Croccers posted:

I've never ran into a problem yet where Snacks were better than Meds/Firebombs. I'll start running before the mob shows up and toss a firebomb when they're bunched up from chasing me. Also Sweepkick is OP on the people that have it.
Why expend firebombs and meds, when you can just keep going? ;)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well poo poo I didn't realize that weapon specialization gave you a second skill just for that weapon. I've been maxing Fighting and Shooting and putting off the spec decision because I wasn't ready to commit, and now I find I could have been pumping up two skills with the same actions if I'd just made my choice sooner.

Anyone got good specialization advice or recommendations? I am thinking of making Marcus and my other Powerhouse characters spec with Heavy melee weapons and maybe give anyone who's somehow bad at guns blunt specialization because I'm thoroughly unimpressed with bladed weapons. I've spec'd Maya for Rifles and she makes them sing. Someone earlier said not to touch Rage because the Stamina gain was useless?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

I find that firebombs end up being a huge hassle compared to the most glorious of anti-zed devices, land mines.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

How do you use the timeslow when aiming thing?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Why expend firebombs and meds, when you can just keep going? ;)
Because they must burn, BURN :black101:

Party Plane Jones posted:

I find that firebombs end up being a huge hassle compared to the most glorious of anti-zed devices, land mines.
Sometimes I'll run with those, just depends if I feel like mixing it up and I have a spare few lying around. Getting the fatarse Juggernauts/Big 'uns (Man, this game is inconstant with names) to charge over some is fun.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Basebf555 posted:

The game seems to be able to make me think I'm about to die, but it very rarely actually happens. I think I'm just a worrier, every time I see my car start to smoke I have visions of it crapping out right in the middle of an infestation.

I've played entirely too much GTA and have to fight the urge to tuck and roll the moment I see flames come out of the hood. I panicked the first time it happened, then got a kick out of it when the car was still burning in the street a few days later. I still don't really know how much punishment the vehicles can take because I was too worried I'd lose a survivor by doing something stupid and always played it safe.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

Well poo poo I didn't realize that weapon specialization gave you a second skill just for that weapon. I've been maxing Fighting and Shooting and putting off the spec decision because I wasn't ready to commit, and now I find I could have been pumping up two skills with the same actions if I'd just made my choice sooner.

Anyone got good specialization advice or recommendations? I am thinking of making Marcus and my other Powerhouse characters spec with Heavy melee weapons and maybe give anyone who's somehow bad at guns blunt specialization because I'm thoroughly unimpressed with bladed weapons. I've spec'd Maya for Rifles and she makes them sing. Someone earlier said not to touch Rage because the Stamina gain was useless?

Heavy is not worth it. The super moves are way too slow to be effective. Blunt or Edged have some great moves. Rifles makes locking onto to head shots super easy, but there are no moves associated with the firearm skills.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Lotish posted:

To be honest as long as you choose the skill to stop time and kill every zombie on screen for the cost of a stamina bar nothing else matters, it's the level 7 firearms skill. My preferred melee specialty is blunt though, for no other reason than it looks more visceral and the best examples of those weapons seem more common.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Heavy is not worth it. The super moves are way too slow to be effective. Blunt or Edged have some great moves. Rifles makes locking onto to head shots super easy, but there are no moves associated with the firearm skills.

Heavy is totally worth it for the whirlwind alone.

You can clear crowds (anything) impersonating a ballerina (with a shovel).

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Soonmot posted:

You say that now, but you'll change your mind when you have a huge axe and the special move that lets you chop the knees off of everything standing within reach.

I think I did 90% of the game with blunt weapons though. Edged just wasn't nearly as effective for me, partly because blunt weapons make it so much easier to knock a zed into position for the LB+Y finisher, but also because I just didn't find many good ones throughout the course of the game. I found a broadsword toward the end but it relies so heavily on the decapitation bonus and aside from that edged weapons just weren't as good. There was no reason to ever equip a kukri or machete when I had awesome pipe threaders and crowbars available.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
The important thing with heavy weapons is to only use them on characters that have the powerhouse skill. That skill lets them use less stamina when they swing heavy weapons and I'm pretty sure it gets better as the skill goes up. My Marcus is specced in heavy and he can literally swing a sledgehammer back and forth for significantly longer than my lighter weapon characters can swing theirs.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No, I've used it. The edged leg slice is better and quicker.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

I prefer edged weapons myself

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

TJO posted:

To be honest as long as you choose the skill to stop time and kill every zombie on screen for the cost of a stamina bar nothing else matters, it's the level 7 firearms skill. My preferred melee specialty is blunt though, for no other reason than it looks more visceral and the best examples of those weapons seem more common.

How on earth do you use the stop time skill.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Comrade Flynn posted:

How on earth do you use the stop time skill.
LB after aiming?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Don't listen to this man. Heavy Weapons is for people with the powerhouse skill, they swing much faster than other characters. I prefer edged to blunt, personally, but I also find way more blunt weapons in the game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The Edge weapon's Leg Slice skill does kill zombies. I think Blunt's version (the Backhand spin thing) just knocks them around.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I think I'm gonna drop this until the patch comes out. I got some new survivors, moved into a new base, and set up a guard tower, and it was so refreshing to briefly see the NPCs actually firing shots to defend the base again. Then everyone went back to standing around doing nothing, which takes some of the life out of the game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAnomaly posted:

Don't listen to this man. Heavy Weapons is for people with the powerhouse skill, they swing much faster than other characters. I prefer edged to blunt, personally, but I also find way more blunt weapons in the game.

I've taken it on Marcus twice now. My other powerhouse I used edged and it's much better. The downed zombies do die off after a few seconds. Sweep kick on reflex just knocks them down. Slicing off their legs kills them.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

My powerhouse character with a sledgehammer and heavy weapon specialization can basically just spin around and pop heads without even knocking guys down. The crit rate on it is really good.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Just completed the game the camera glitched out at the end but I assume Beyond the wall everyones dead and the whole world has been infected [cue mmo start point]

Also if you find the last homebase think before you relocate there it sucks

Overall the game was great despite being effected by numerous bugs one of which turned all the zombies into mannequins that would float around after me I still had alot of fun.

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

VoLaTiLe posted:

Just completed the game the camera glitched out at the end but I assume Beyond the wall everyones dead and the whole world has been infected [cue mmo start point]

Pretty much. There is one decent video on youtube of the ending where the camera angle is much better and you can see what is intended.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Heck, I like Heavy Weapons even on guys without Powerhouse just because it causes staggers very quickly and lets you use LB+Y to execute in short order.

So some of you guys like Edged weapons. Whenever I use something like a machete I need to hit the zombies a whole lot in order to get them down for an execution or before I get lucky and slice through their heads. What about them appeals to you? Are they faster? Is their specialization really good?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Faster, quieter, lower stamina and great special moves. The biggest drawback about them is that I've never seen one with more than 4 durability. Watch your minimap when you hit a zombie, weapons make noise and heavy ones make the most.

Edged may be my favorite, but blunt gets the most use ou of my survivors just because how easy it is to find high durability weapons, with edged you really need to bring a backup or keep your trips short.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I hadn't really considered volume of melee attacks.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The drop kick seems a bit too powerful, level one fighting dudes shouldn't be able to instantly knock down any zombie for the easy kill.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hooooo man. I had no idea you could level fuckers up. Time to level up fuckers!

Marcus, you will get the bad assists of perks.

Ed, you will get a gimmicky perk.

Sam. You're dead. Sorry you don't get poo poo. And Maya too. Zombies are killing on my females.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Does anyone have a munitions workshop? What does it do?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So I've got twenty or so survivors (no deaths so far) and I'm doing Jacob's relocation mission.

Which base should I relocate to? The farmhouse, tavern, and trucking company all look good. What are the pros and cons of them?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Kymera posted:

I don't have one but I'm pretty sure it lets you build the throwable explosives.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Trucking company, you're going to need beds. Lots of beds.

People have said the farm house is great, but with it being out in the middle of nowhere, you need cars to get to the missions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Kymera posted:

Well in combination with a library it can help you make bombs.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Mountain Lightning posted:

So I've got twenty or so survivors (no deaths so far) and I'm doing Jacob's relocation mission.

Which base should I relocate to? The farmhouse, tavern, and trucking company all look good. What are the pros and cons of them?

Most people here agree Snyder's warehouse is the best. You can set up outposts surrounding the base making it basically immune to hordes. It allows you to set up 8 outposts and I think it has the most building slots. It comes with a car repair workshop and a sleeping area. It is surrounded by sites that have building material resources too. The only con is that it is prone to attack when you are first setting up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Argh, I can't stop myself, starting a new game isntead of waiting for the patch. Too addicting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Soonmot posted:

People have said the farm house is great, but with it being out in the middle of nowhere, you need cars to get to the missions.
Yup, I made this mistake. While it was fairly easy to get pretty much anywhere on the map by just driving through fields, it was a pain to go do scavenging runs since even with a car it takes time to get anywhere.

After the patch drops I'm going to restart. My plan is to completely clean out the first town from the church then move straight to the trucking company.

• Locked thread