Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Bongo Bill posted:

FFXIII was kind of an overstimulating blend of command-based abstractions and action-based speed, which many found unpalatable. It would be a shame if they concluded that the menus were the part about it that didn't play well.

Not that they're anywhere near as popular as either Pokemon or Final Fantasy, but there's also Atelier, and Shin Megami Tensei and most of its subseries are command-based as well.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong in command-based battle systems, but like anything else, you just have to do it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
That demo definitely allayed some of my issues with LR's gameplay. The battle system looks pretty awesome.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Dragon Quest is turn based and IX sold gang busters. So did VIII.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hell, I still play DQIX. It was so good. :unsmith:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So is there a way to get more Deceptisol in XIII? It's kind of annoying to dodge enemies sometimes, since turning around takes a bit longer than normal.

Also, I'm glad Vanille is capable enough as a healer to do it solo, I was afraid Sazh/Snow/Vanille was going to be too frail to survive.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Hey guys, just looking for a bit of help to work on an article re: mini-games in RPGs. I know all the obvious ones for FF, but can someone help me out with any that might have been missed? Are there any apart from hunts for XII? Any help would be awesome and I figure people here would have a better memory of it than me.

Mainly any temporary ones in the newer games, any DLC or international stuff and anything before VII (its been a while since I played them) would be awesome help.

EDIT:

Momomo posted:

So is there a way to get more Deceptisol in XIII? It's kind of annoying to dodge enemies sometimes, since turning around takes a bit longer than normal.

Also, I'm glad Vanille is capable enough as a healer to do it solo, I was afraid Sazh/Snow/Vanille was going to be too frail to survive.

You're probably not there yet, but around Chapter 12 Eden Pharmaceuticals sells them for 30,000gil (or about that).

Otherwise some enemies drop them if you have a survivalist catalog equipped (it's a low chance general drop I think?). An accessory, Hunter's Friend at max level can also be dismantled for a few.

PTizzle fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 13, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

PTizzle posted:

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of help to work on an article re: mini-games in RPGs. I know all the obvious ones for FF, but can someone help me out with any that might have been missed? Are there any apart from hunts for XII? Any help would be awesome and I figure people here would have a better memory of it than me.

Mainly any temporary ones in the newer games, any DLC or international stuff and anything before VII (its been a while since I played them) would be awesome help.

This wikia page might help:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Minigame

It covers pretty much all of the FF ones.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

This wikia page might help:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Minigame

It covers pretty much all of the FF ones.

Ugh, feel silly for not thinking to look at that. Cheers!

If there are any more obscure ones anyone remembers please let me know.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

PTizzle posted:

Not so much mini game as really obsure side-quest; there was a FFIX one posted a few pages back. It was obscure enough that it's taken 13 years for people to find it.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

That image is tiny, but you can see a couple more outfits more Lightning, including a Butler outfit! There will be over 80 outfits for her to use, and XIII's and XIII-2's outfits will be given to you if you have the save data from those games.

Also this is a thing that will be in-game:

Source

Veks fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 13, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
They're really going all in with the fanservice. In both a good and bad way.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Some more costumes.

The evening gown looks pretty fun, like using the tuxedo in Metal Gear Solid 3. Unlike MGS3, there isn't going to be anything like calling The Boss and her telling Snake how stupid and impractical wearing a tuxedo in the jungle is.

I can't wait to see what other costumes they have. I'm worried that other Final Fantasy characters might be paid DLC, but there would be a lot to choose from. They might even do a cross promotion with FFXV, and let you wear some of Stella's outfits.

Azure_Horizon posted:

That demo definitely allayed some of my issues with LR's gameplay. The battle system looks pretty awesome.

It looks like it plays exactly how I wanted FFXIII to play when I first saw the trailers. Being able to add commands on the fly, rather than queueing them up is much better, and having separate buttons for actions rather than menu navigation are great improvements. I don't understand about the health system, since it was mentioned that apparently you can't heal during battle. It's also a shame that they've removed the party members, but they might have some battle-specific partners, like Snow joining you to battle the giant flan in XIII-2.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Veks posted:

That image is tiny, but you can see a couple more outfits more Lightning, including a Butler outfit! There will be over 80 outfits for her to use, and XIII's and XIII-2's outfits will be given to you if you have the save data from those games.

Source

I love FF fan service, which is why I like XIV(2.0). I wonder if by 'includes cosmetic DLC bought for 13-2' that means you'll be able to dress up Lightning as Shepard...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

The evening gown looks pretty fun, like using the tuxedo in Metal Gear Solid 3. Unlike MGS3, there isn't going to be anything like calling The Boss and her telling Snake how stupid and impractical wearing a tuxedo in the jungle is.

Well, she is going to be on the phone with Hope a lot, so maybe something like that could happen (it won't), though it would more likely be Hope trying and failing to hide his massive crush on Lightning than anything MGS would produce. I for one plan to use the butler tuxedo as often as possible, unless something even better turns up. I should not be getting so excited for a game that's 8 months away.

And I kind of want a Kojima-directed FF now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Veks posted:

Source

I'm a complete sucker for things like this, so hearing there are that many costumes makes me a little more interested in this game. Maybe even a few of them won't suck!

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

That loving Sned posted:

I don't understand about the health system, since it was mentioned that apparently you can't heal during battle.

You CAN heal during battle, with items. There won't be any healing abilities like Cure, though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

PTizzle posted:

Ugh, feel silly for not thinking to look at that. Cheers!

Let's see-
In FFVI, the Zone-Eater's Belly (where you get Gogo) is basically a collection of mini-games. There's a series of broken bridges you need to jump between while guys walk back and forth and will knock you to a lower level. Then there's an area with a falling roof that will give you an instant game over if you don't wait certain safe spots. Then the last room has you jumping across broken bridges and treasure chests, although it's not much of a minigame since you can't really screw it up.

I guess if you wanted you could count the "timed" areas where you need to accomplish some objective before a timer runs out or you get a game over.

There's the "feed Cid" minigame to keep him from dying.

The Coliseum is sort of like a minigame, but you can't control it so 'eh.'

In FFVII, there's the great glacier cliff-climbing minigame where you have to warm yourself to not freeze to death, and several other small ones in the great glacier itself (like planting stakes to get through a field with blizzards, or the ice floe puzzle).

When you're controlling Cid on the Train to Corel, you need to do a small minigame to speed up, then slow down the train.

There's the little slap-fight minigame between Tifa and Scarlet at the start of Disk 2, I think.

There's the "hide-and-seek" with Yuffie during the Wutai sidequest. Probably others I'm missing.

In FFVIII there's, uh, the red light/green light minigame to get to Bahamut, I guess. I don't remember many in this game.

Oh, I guess there's the bit where you have to sneak across the top of train cars trying to get to the president.

FFIX has the frog-catching Minigame for Quina. The site mentions Chocobo Hot & Cold, but it really is sort of two different games in one- the hunting-and-pecking on a timer, and the scouring the world to match chocographs.

There's also the "evacuate Cleyra" sequence, I guess.

There's racing Hippaul, and the Jumprope minigame. I think there's a hide-and-seek minigame somewhere also...?

I think FFX was covered pretty well, and I'm not even going to touch X-2 because it's pretty much all minigames.

FFXII has the beloved minigames such as "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH" sequence and the "HEY BUCKETHEAD" sequence at the banquet.

There are a couple "minigames" to round up all the Cocatrices, like jumping out and tagging one in Rabanastre, or chasing one in Archadia then finding it a mate, or the puzzle/minigame of crossing the river with a cocatrice, a boy, and a wolf.

The Hunter's Club is kinda like doing hunts, but a bit different.

That's all I've got.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 13, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The "fishing" game in FFXII was completely worthless. I didn't even find it until after I beat the game.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 13, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FFIX also has the silly Nero brothers game in Alexandria in Disc 4. There's also the hourglass game in the Desert Palace, but you have to do it for the plot and I guess it's not really a minigame.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

In FFVIII there's, uh, the red light/green light minigame to get to Bahamut, I guess. I don't remember many in this game.

Oh, I guess there's the bit where you have to sneak across the top of train cars trying to get to the president.

Or the goddamn garden assault with health bar, QTE prompts, and dumbass rope fight against a nameless mook. I'm sure its pathetically easy now but when that game came out I literally game-overed there like 2 or 3 times at that section for some reason.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

chumbler posted:

Well, she is going to be on the phone with Hope a lot, so maybe something like that could happen (it won't), though it would more likely be Hope trying and failing to hide his massive crush on Lightning than anything MGS would produce. I for one plan to use the butler tuxedo as often as possible, unless something even better turns up. I should not be getting so excited for a game that's 8 months away.

Lightning, do you think love can bloom in Gran Pulse?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If only these were real:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ragequit posted:

If only these were real:

Blame yourself. Or onions.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

At one point in development, Nomura wanted to make XV into a... musical.

Honestly I think I'd kinda like that. :v:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope it still shows its musical influence. Evil church dude better break into song during his Mexican standoff with Regis (cool dad).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Terper posted:

Well now I'll be forever saddened by What Could Have Been.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
According to the article he got the idea from the Les Miserables musical.
...So what have they've been DOING with the game these past 7 years if he
thought he could make such a change at that point?

We should thank the suits for shooting that idea down.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 13, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

To be fair, this is what happened last time.

And when you think about it, the earlier games also had inspirations like that. FF6 and opera, FF9 and theatre...

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 13, 2013

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

chumbler posted:

The sad thing is, a Kojima-directed FF would have a more coherent story than 13-2 and the Kingdom Hearts games.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Terper posted:

Am I the only one who finds the video thumbnail in this link absolutely terrifying? Maybe it's the human-like eyes or the fact that the Behemoth's smiling, but, I don't know man. Just look at it. :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ragequit posted:

If only these were real:

It wouldn't be hard to make a pack like that yourself. :effort:

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Thanks, this is excellent!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Ragequit posted:

If only these were real:

What ailments does this cure?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Roflan posted:

I love FF fan service, which is why I like XIV(2.0). I wonder if by 'includes cosmetic DLC bought for 13-2' that means you'll be able to dress up Lightning as Shepard...

If I can dress her up like a White Mage, I'll go buy the XIII-2 DLC right now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

toanoradian posted:

What ailments does this cure?

Bad Bracelet

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:golfclap:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

:sbahj:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Terper posted:

I would've been completely on board with this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Veks posted:

Source

Maybe I'm kinda alone in this, but I love playing dress-up doll and I kinda like all the outfits I've seen so far for Lightning.

It's not like I expected a Final Fantasy character to dress like a normal person anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Schwartzcough posted:

There's the "feed Cid" minigame to keep him from dying.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I always let Cid die because getting the good fish is too much of a hassle, and I feel like the story is better when he dies too. Plus you don't even get anything for saving him.