Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

jerman999 posted:

Damnit, okay. Just a single crack running horizontally along the bottom third, not super obvious but it's noticeable. How much for a replacement in this case?

Single cracks are sometimes covered under warranty (usually they have to be going through the home button). If not, you're looking at $229 for a replacement phone.

E: and I guess Apple stores are now doing $149 screen replacements, but considering your lock button issue, you would still need a new phone so I'm not sure what the best course of action is. I still think you have a pretty good chance at a warranty replacement if you're careful about how you describe your issue.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Since they're now doing screen replacements for $150, you may be able to get them to just give you a replacement phone for that price.

Otherwise, they're supposed to be able to repair things like the power button in-store starting next month.

Are all replacement phones refurbs?

quadratic fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 13, 2013

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

quadratic posted:

Are all replacement phone refurbs?
No, I've been handed a new in-box phone before.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SunknLiner posted:

All we have are refurbs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man I just upgraded to a 5 and I don't know what the deal is with people complaining there wasn't enough new to it or whatever :stare:

Noticeably much faster than my 4S, love the near 16:9 screen, and having another row of icons is also amazing. Also 4G is cool I guess.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dogen posted:

Man I just upgraded to a 5 and I don't know what the deal is with people complaining there wasn't enough new to it or whatever :stare:

Noticeably much faster than my 4S, love the near 16:9 screen, and having another row of icons is also amazing. Also 4G is cool I guess.

Literally no matter what Apple release people will complain.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also they are doomed as a company when their quarterly growth is only "great" instead of "excellent" as predicted.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Were there really people saying the iPhone 5 was not a big upgrade? Bigger screen, faster, noticeably lighter. It's not a 4S or anything.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

smackfu posted:

Were there really people saying the iPhone 5 was not a big upgrade? Bigger screen, faster, noticeably lighter. It's not a 4S or anything.

Yes.

http://theweek.com/article/index/233283/the-disappointing-iphone-5-is-apple-falling-behind-the-competition

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

smackfu posted:

That was my takeaway from the press surrounding the announcement last year. Obviously there have been a lot of other bumps in the company's relationship with their stock price and journalism, for whatever reason, but the tepid reception of the iphone 5 by both sticks out in my mind.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

ddogflex posted:

Literally no matter what Apple release people will complain.

See also: iOS 7. People have been judging the new visual refresh so harshly without apparently taking into account that it's the first drat beta and it's been widely reported that they are still working on "polishing" it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It was a combination of leaks that exposed the 5's design and probably fatigue on Apple's line of "this is the fastest, lightest, and best iPhone we've ever made."

If they keep saying that with every release, even if its true, people start overlooking you actually claiming it's incredibly fast and lightweight.

Also, it didn't have that "big" feature you could point to like previous iPhone models did (3G, front camera/hugely improved speed, retina screen, Siri). While it did have a bigger screen, it was mainly viewed through the lense of an "us-too" Apple attitude.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

smackfu posted:

I'm not happy they switched from steel to aluminum for the metal mid-frame band. I never had a case on my 4, and it took a beating without deforming. One drop and my 5 has a jagged, deformed dent on the corner. Aluminum is too soft. I'm glad I went with white/silver because of all the complaints about the black anodizing not being deep enough and showing scratches.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Thwomp posted:

It was a combination of leaks that exposed the 5's design and probably fatigue on Apple's line of "this is the fastest, lightest, and best iPhone we've ever made."

If they keep saying that with every release, even if its true, people start overlooking you actually claiming it's incredibly fast and lightweight.

Also, it didn't have that "big" feature you could point to like previous iPhone models did (3G, front camera/hugely improved speed, retina screen, Siri). While it did have a bigger screen, it was mainly viewed through the lense of an "us-too" Apple attitude.

I dunno the inclusion of LTE was a welcome change for me. Couldn't imagine going back.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It was just that people had already figured the 5 would get a lot of what was announced (LTE, a bigger screen) because everything else coming out already had/was getting these features. So the surprise was sucked out.

It'll be interesting what the 5S does aside from showing off Apple's newest A-series chip.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SunknLiner posted:

Must have been within your 2 weeks because they'd never do that. Maybe they ran out of refurbs?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Thwomp posted:

It was just that people had already figured the 5 would get a lot of what was announced (LTE, a bigger screen) because everything else coming out already had/was getting these features. So the surprise was sucked out.

It'll be interesting what the 5S does aside from showing off Apple's newest A-series chip.

I want the rumored fingerprint scanner cuz gently caress typing that pass code lock in every time.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Must have been within your 2 weeks because they'd never do that. Maybe they ran out of refurbs?

Nahh, this was far out of it - like, 6 months. I had a 3GS that just stopped working all of a sudden. I brought it to the Genius Bar and the guy tinkered with it for a second, then went out back and came back with a new phone. He cut the box open and set it up for me and everything.

EDIT: I suppose I could be mistaken - are the refurbs boxed up like new phones?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SunknLiner posted:

Nahh, this was far out of it - like, 6 months. I had a 3GS that just stopped working all of a sudden. I brought it to the Genius Bar and the guy tinkered with it for a second, then went out back and came back with a new phone. He cut the box open and set it up for me and everything.

EDIT: I suppose I could be mistaken - are the refurbs boxed up like new phones?

They are boxed but not in retail packaging. They used to be in black plastic boxes but now ship in white boxes.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

empty baggie posted:

They are boxed but not in retail packaging. They used to be in black plastic boxes but now ship in white boxes.

I could be mistaken then. He didn't give me the box - just the phone. It might have been a plain box; I don't recall getting a good look at it. I was just under the impression that it was a new one. It WAS sparkly and new looking after all :)

EDIT: Where do the refurbs come from anyway? I just swapped out my black 5 for a white 5 (within my two weeks). Is my black phone destined to be someones refurb now?

SunknLiner fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 13, 2013

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SunknLiner posted:

I could be mistaken then. He didn't give me the box - just the phone. It might have been a plain box; I don't recall getting a good look at it. I was just under the impression that it was a new one. It WAS sparkly and new looking after all :)

EDIT: Where do the refurbs come from anyway? I just swapped out my black 5 for a white 5 (within my two weeks). Is my black phone destined to be someones refurb now?

Probably so. What happens in my case (AASP) is that when we perform a phone swap, the phone we took in goes into the box the refurb came out of. The next day we receive a replacement device from Apple in a prelabled shipping padded envelope, and we remove the replacement phone, put it into our inventory, and place the swapped phone in the envelope and ship it back to Apple to be refurbished. Apple lets us keep an average of 4 of each model phone, from the 4 and up. If someone has a 3GS or older, we don't keep them in stock and have to order.

We can also get parts, but those have to be overnighted, so we just do whole unit swaps all the time. The only part we keep in stock are the back plates, but I think this will change in the next few months.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 13, 2013

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

SunknLiner posted:

Yup.

I had my 5 swapped in November and I guess it must have been a refurb. It was in a plain white box, but the guy told me it was new.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm pretty sure they always replace the screen + housing for refurbs. That's why they look so new, because everything you can see is new :v:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kazy posted:

I'm pretty sure they always replace the screen + housing for refurbs. That's why they look so new, because everything you can see is new :v:

We've had a few items that have had slight dings in them (iPhones and iPads), but yeah, definitely they seem to replace the screens every time.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

SunknLiner posted:

If you could tell it was a refurb then it wasn't an actual Apple refurb ;)

(Their refurbs should be technically indistinguishable from new units sans packaging materials. In fact, since refurbs are actually thoroughly inspected for defects, they're technically better than a new in box phone anyway)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

jerman999 posted:

Damnit, okay. Just a single crack running horizontally along the bottom third, not super obvious but it's noticeable. How much for a replacement in this case?

Single crack is covered. You're good. They'll swap the whole phone because of the button.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If you could tell it was a refurb then it wasn't an actual Apple refurb ;)

(Their refurbs should be technically indistinguishable from new units sans packaging materials. In fact, since refurbs are actually thoroughly inspected for defects, they're technically better than a new in box phone anyway)

The replacement phones are a mixture of new units or what apple calls "remanufactured". The remanufactured units reuse components like cables and poo poo, but they always have all new batteries and external components. They're also tested better than the new units.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina

Thwomp posted:

From the "Today" summary in notification center, I can't help but wonder if they'll launch a full fledged competitor to Google Now, maybe even looking at your FB, Twitter, other app data to determine what's important to you.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

jerman999 posted:

I was at an Apple store the other day swapping my phone due to a broken volume up button, and while waiting for the genius to bring over a replacement, I overheard another guy telling a customer that Apple will replace fractured screens if it's only one crack. Since that implies a defect in the screen when it was manufactured, which may have been accelerated by your dropping it. He also said that shattered displays are not covered, so if you word it right, you may easily get a free replacement assuming it's only one crack and not a completely obliterated screen.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 14, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That makes sense. Pretty much the only way you can make a pane of glass crack in exactly one place is to put a defect there. Old-timey window glaziers and stained glass people do it by scratching the surface with a diamond tool.

edit: If that is how you did it then you may want to leave out that part when you talk to Apple.

withak fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 14, 2013

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Holy poo poo, thank you guys for posting about this. I just got a single hairline crack on the front of my 4S by dropping it about 2-3 feet onto concrete yesterday. I was prepared to just live with it until my upgrade cycle came around next year, but it looks like I have a trip to the Apple store to get to this Monday.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So I just got a new BT keyboard that has 3 device connections for easy switching between my iMac and iOS devices.

is there anyway to enable more functionality from the keybord for iOS functions, like closing apps and navigating around the home screen? sending messages? its neat that I can type on a keyboard but sorta pointless if i still have to tap send on the screen.

I did find some article about voiceover being used but it sounds pretty janky.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I pull all of the pictures from my iCloud photo stream onto my MBP? It says I have hundreds but on my phone I can't see all of it. I'd like to just back it all up on my computer.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I pull all of the pictures from my iCloud photo stream onto my MBP? It says I have hundreds but on my phone I can't see all of it. I'd like to just back it all up on my computer.

Open iphoto and have 10.7+ and photostream turned on.

Also, it will only pull photos from the last 30 days (or last 1000 photos, whichever is smaller).

Just plug your phone into your mac and open iphoto. It will ask you to import them.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

choobs posted:

See also: iOS 7. People have been judging the new visual refresh so harshly without apparently taking into account that it's the first drat beta and it's been widely reported that they are still working on "polishing" it.

I could be remembering things wrong but I think back in the golden age of Steve Apple's policy seemed to be that they would not release unfinished or useless "concept" stuff to the public. Products should be judged as-is and not by some vague manufacturer's promises.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
They didn't release it to the public. It's a dev beta. This is why they doth want Joe Nobody installing it.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Feenix posted:

They didn't release it to the public. It's a dev beta. This is why they doth want Joe Nobody installing it.

"Show" then. I can't seem to remember them demoing a product and then doing a massive re-design of it before the actual release.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

"Show" then. I can't seem to remember them demoing a product and then doing a massive re-design of it before the actual release.

I wouldn't expect a massive redesign. This is the os. It will get polish, bug squishes, and some minor alterations.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Feenix posted:

I wouldn't expect a massive redesign. This is the os. It will get polish, bug squishes, and some minor alterations.

Well, in that case it would not seem unfair to judge how the UI looks based on what has been shown so far.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I spent some time reading their style docs last night for iOS7 and while I expect some tweaks the core OS style is definitely going to be the same unless they really want to rewrite their philosophies, which is unlikely.

Some of the beef I have with iOS7 is stuff that is cool in concept, but in practice just looks off. The status/carrier bar is one I just can't let go of. I just don't think it looks good to not have a background on it and be jammed into the navigation bar. I'm working on my design concept for the next major version of the awful app, and it irritates me so much:

I need to stop bitching about it though and learn to work with it. I'm really curious what other big apps are going to do, I don't see everyone just dropping all their gradients / shadows to appease iOS7. It's weird too, looking at my iOS7 inspired design really feels like I'm looking at an android app. I was hoping that would keep some shading in iOS7.

(This post is a waste of time, don't read it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

Yeah I spent some time reading their style docs last night for iOS7 and while I expect some tweaks the core OS style is definitely going to be the same unless they really want to rewrite their philosophies, which is unlikely.

Some of the beef I have with iOS7 is stuff that is cool in concept, but in practice just looks off. The status/carrier bar is one I just can't let go of. I just don't think it looks good to not have a background on it and be jammed into the navigation bar. I'm working on my design concept for the next major version of the awful app, and it irritates me so much:

I need to stop bitching about it though and learn to work with it. I'm really curious what other big apps are going to do, I don't see everyone just dropping all their gradients / shadows to appease iOS7. It's weird too, looking at my iOS7 inspired design really feels like I'm looking at an android app. I was hoping that would keep some shading in iOS7.

(This post is a waste of time, don't read it!)

No, I like hearing from developers how they like the beta from their eyes. It's interesting.

• Locked thread